News Roundup: Shocking Plot Twists, Heartbreaking Farewells and the Recast We Never Saw Coming!
Plus, previews of what’s coming next!
We get it. You’re busy. Every now and then, some of the latest breaking news is going to slip under the radar. But that’s why we’re here — it’s literally our job to catch you up on the latest happenings in the daytime world! Whether you love The Bold and the Beautiful, Days of Our Lives, General Hospital or The Young and the Restless — or all of the above — this is your one-stop shop to find out what’s going on.
The Bold and the Beautiful
Sheila’s had a good run this time around, but after all the bloodshed, she may be nearing the end — for good! Who would do the deed, though? There’s one very shocking theory making the rounds. But could it really come to pass? Kimberlin Brown might have a thing or two to say about that!
- If you thought Steffy and Liam’s daughter, Kelly, looked a bit different this week, your eyes definitely weren’t playing tricks on you.
- From playing with their “Poppy” to Easter fun, Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke) has the cutest grandkids — and the photos to prove it!
- Speaking of Easter, Tanner Novlan (ex-Finn) managed to squeeze in some adorable holiday family time.
- Steffy may be struggling to remember which way is up, but Jacqueline MacInnes Wood is out there living her best life with stunning Coachella looks.
It looks like Richard might have been a little bit bored during this week’s Bold & Beautiful, because he took the time to count how many times they used the word “husband” in a single episode. (Place your guesses before reading his column!) On the plus side, we could be revisiting one of last year’s hottest stories!
What Went Down Last Week: Carter stuck to his guns with Paris, insisting she marry Zende, who decided he was ready to pop the question again. Quinn overheard Carter’s conversation with Paris, which led to the pair admitting they still harbored feelings for one another. Liam was flabbergasted to discover that Steffy thought he was still her husband, but he went along with it. Brooke was appalled at Taylor’s insistence that Steffy be allowed to believe she was married to Liam. Sheila feared that Steffy’s memories might be returning.
Days of Our Lives
- As far as we know, Sami’s out there living her best life with Lucas, completely unaware that he was her real kidnapper. But when the truth eventually comes out, might it send her into the arms of an ex… and we don’t mean EJ!
- “Cin” had better watch out for more than just the devil because an old enemy is on their way back to Salem!
- Brandon Barash (Jake) shared a special message for not just one, but two very important women in his life!
- Robert Scott Wilson (Ben), Paul Telfer (Xander) and Dan Feuerriegel (EJ) brought the funny in a big way as they compared slang from their native lands. In fact, it was so hilarious, even Telfer’s dad chimed in!
Days of Our Lives was firing on all cylinders this week, keeping Curtis riveted as Chad and Abigail brought all of Leo and Gwen’s plans crashing to the ground. As funny and dramatic as the wedding was, though, the big cliffhanger was on Thursday, leaving the show to fall flat as it turned back to the devil at week’s end.
What Went Down Last Week: Ava got an immunity deal in exchange for details on Gwen’s hand in Sarah’s predicament. Abigail used that information to blow up Gwen’s wedding. Before Gwen was led away in handcuffs, she dropped her own bomb on Abigail — she killed her grandmother Laura on purpose! Chad, stopped Leo and Craig’s wedding by introducing Leo’s already husband Darius, aka Jackie Cox. Plus, AllieDevil drugged Ciara and Ben in an effort to get the baby, Eric came home, TR had sinister plans for Paulina, and Chanel and Tripp kissed each other after a few drinks.
- The other soaps should probably pay attention, because right now, General Hospital is the only show pulling this particular type of storyline off.
- Laura Wright (Carly) worked fans into a frenzy when she teased “something fun” between herself and her costar!
- Chad Duell celebrated 12 years (wait, can that be right??) on General Hospital, and we took a look back at his earliest days as Michael.
- Parenthood took center stage as Josh Swickard (Chase) had some alone time with his baby girl, and Maurice Benard (Sonny) celebrated his youngest daughter’s 23rd birthday.
Undoing all the work put into Harmony’s redemption isn’t sitting that well with Dustin, but he can’t deny enjoying the soapy drama that she and Alexis are bringing to the screen. Aiden’s Ouija board journey also proved highly entertaining, but Marshal’s snooze-worthy secret is just dragging everything down.
What Went Down Last Week: Alexis was stunned to discover Brendan’s body floating off the pier, and Jordan thought it may have been a suicide. Carly became suspicious that Harmony knew more about Nina than she was letting on and discovered her trying to burn Neil’s files. Cam and Spencer were arrested at Kelly’s by Rory for fighting, but both were later released. Curtis learned what Marshall was hiding just as his dad was planning to leave town. And while investigating whoever was tormenting Liz, Chase was mysteriously knocked unconscious.
The Young and the Restless
Peter Bergman and Susan Walters teased how Diane’s return is about to kick into high gear as Kyle finally learns that his not-so dead mom is still among the living! One of the best things to come out of this story has been getting Michael Mealor back as Kyle, and the actor explains why this was the story to bring him home!
- If there’s one twist we definitely didn’t see coming, it was Summer’s shocking recast!
- Although we knew it was coming, Rey’s death was still tough to watch… but where did it rank in comparison to Genoa City’s all-time saddest deaths? Meanwhile, Jordi Vilasuso and his wife spoke out about his alter ego’s exit.
- Could Rey’s demise lead to an unexpected Chelsea and Adam reunion?
- Young & Restless headwriter Josh Griffith teased that he’s about to bring Nikki’s feisty side back in a big way.
Letting fans know that Jordi Vilasuso was on his way out before Rey’s big death was a risk, but the tension leading up to the moment made it worthwhile for Candace. And Sharon’s agonizing heartbreak afterwards finally gave the show some much needed drama. Plus, Victoria’s playing Ashland only to be saved by him kept hitting all the right soapy beats and helped provide some hope for the show’s future!
What Went Down This Week: Diane squared off with both Phyllis and Jack, neither of whom were happy about her turning up in Genoa City. Ashland took the Newmans’ deal only to have the tables turned when Victoria dumped him. Rey prepared for the big trip to Chicago with Chelsea and Connor, which left Sharon suspicious of Chelsea’s motives. The two storylines then collided — quite literally — when Victoria had a near-miss with Rey on a foggy road. Ashland saved Victoria from her burning car, but Rey perished, leaving Nick to break the news to a devastated Sharon.
In Other News…
- All My Children‘s Walt Willey (Jackson) shared the update we’d all been waiting for after his surprising surgery news.
- On the anniversary of her final As the World Turns‘ appearance as Lily, Martha Byrne explains what led her to make the heartbreaking decision to leave.
- Fourteen years after As the World Turns‘ gay kissing ban, we take a look back at the controversy that kept two popular characters from locking lips.
- Could this week’s Grey’s Anatomy be setting up a major shift? Kate Walsh’s Addison returns for a well-timed visit, and we can’t help but wonder if the show might be putting in motion a plan for if (or should we say when) Ellen Pompeo’s Meredith exits.
What’s Coming Up…
Now that you’re all caught up on what went down last week, here’s a glimpse of what’s just around the corner!
- It looks as if Bold & Beautiful‘s Steffy is finally getting her memory back… but what will she recall, and how will it impact what happens next?
- Chanel and Tripp surprised us all when they locked lips, and in next week’s Days of Our Lives, it looks like they’re about to shock Paulina, too! Plus, it looks like the worst news ever could hit Ciara and Ben!
- Jack has to break the news of Diane’s return to not one but two people who will be blown away by the twist. But the real question is whether or not Kyle will agree to see his mother!
Get ready for a trip around the world as you check out our photo gallery featuring some of daytime’s greatest location shoots!
<p>For a little while there, Monte Carlo was almost like <em>Bold & Beautiful</em>’s second home. A seaside resort for the wealthy, it was the perfect playground for the Forresters, Spencers and Logans. It had it all — beautiful buildings, beaches, yachts, people. So many beautiful people…</p>
<p>When Luke and Laura returned in 1993, <em>General Hospital</em> pulled out all the stops — a bombing in British Columbia, a jump from a stolen plane, a daring river rescue and then an even more daring waterfall rescue! We have no idea where this is (between Chicago and Port Charles?), but it looks like it would be great for whitewater rafting!</p>
<p>Ah, good ol’ NOLA. Who hasn’t wanted to visit the home of Mardis Gras and take in some of the raucous culture of the French Quarter? It’s certainly a change from Genoa City, Wis.! At least, we assume so. We suppose those benches look a bit decadent.</p>
<p>Anyone up for a staycation… with a twist? That’s what the folks of Salem got when they were fake-murdered and shipped off to backwards New Salem, aka Melaswen, back in 2004. It was identical to their hometown, except they got to wear Hawaiian shirts and frolic in tropical foliage! Strangely, no one wanted to stay.</p>
<p>Erica and Dimitri’s whirlwind romance took them to Budapest in the latter’s native Hungary, where they made love all night and performed, from the looks of it, <em>The Nutcracker Suite </em>in the city square. Oh, and Erica got kidnapped. Twice. Maybe scratch Budapest off the vacation list.</p>
<p>We’re certain that if you looked up “luxury” in the dictionary, this 2014 trip to Dubai would be pictured. Guided camel rides, extravagant hotels, high-octane cars and attempted murder by private helicoptor — this was a trip only the ridiculously wealthy could pull off! </p>
<p>Why does it feel like Victor is warning Ashley not to look at all the pretty sights during their 2008 visit to Paris? “Whatever you do, my dear, don’t turn around and make eye contact with that church. I think it’s following us.” “OK… But I’m pretty sure that’s just the Notre Dame Cathedral, Victor.”</p>
<p>Now <em>Days of Our Lives</em>, they did New Orleans right when Bo and Hope visited in 1984. Actually, they might have leaned into the Southern spirit a bit <em>too</em> much. Dressing up and making love on an old estate? Er, don’t play plantation owners on your vacations, folks.</p>
<p><em>General Hospital</em> pulled out all the stops when Ricky Martin was playing Miguel, even going on location to his native Puerto Rico to reunite the character with his long-lost lady love, Lily! And, well, we forgot where we were going with this. Does anyone have a fan handy? It’s suddenly feeling hot in here…</p>
<p>Admit it — Eterna is better than a theme park. Is it a real place? No. Is it a safe destination? Not even remotely. But those jumpsuits alone make this trip to Llanview’s great underground city worth the price of admission. Disclaimer: The price of admission could be death.</p>
<p>There’s nothing better than spending a romantic getaway with your fiancé on Italy’s Amalfi Coast. At least, Emily <em>thought</em> it was her fiancé. Royce suffered from a split personality, so it was kind of hard to tell.</p>
<p>The Florida Keys are a great destination spot — so long as you understand how the bridges connecting the islands work. Do not, for instance, do what Reva did while off her postpartum-depression meds and drive off an unfinished bridge. Always seek out the finished ones. </p>
<p>Some folks from Port Charles go on sun-drenched trips to places like Mexico and Puerto Rico, others to Mt. Rushmore. Terry fell into the latter category with her beau, Dusty, who was programmed to kill her, Anna and Robert… Some gals have all the luck. All the <em>bad</em> luck.</p>
<p>Hope (then Kimberly Matula) and Liam’s Italian wedding was never actually legal, so they both felt a bit like a heel when it was all over with. Then again, that might have just been because they were fake-married in the “heel” part of Italy. OK, OK, we’ll boot ourselves off the stage.</p>
<p>Hell: the vacation destination where you can get away from the cold and snow of the winter but not have to worry about the sun burning your fair skin like it might in more tropical climes. What’s not to love about it? Well, besides the whole eternal damnation thing.</p>
<p>We’ll just let you drink in this pic of Erica and Tom on their 1978 honeymoon in St. Croix. A honeymoon, we might add, that lasted… mm, almost as long as their very brief marriage. Heck, that <em>cocktail</em> almost lasted as long as their marriage!</p>
<p>What could be more romantic than proposing to your love right next to the canals of Venice? Neither <em>Bold & Beautiful</em> nor Thorne spared any expense on this vacation engagement. But maybe they should have since it ended up being a total waste when Brooke went running back to Ridge.</p>
<p>Carly and Bo headed south of the border for their 1991 wedding ceremony, which was pretty much entirely symbolic. Since they never bothered legalizing their union, we have a sneaking suspicion they just used “getting married” as an excuse to go paddle-boating in Mexico. Well-played.</p>
<p>OK, fine. So the show didn’t actually go to Hawaii. But they did stage their own version of the Tom Hanks classic <em>Joe Versus the Volcano</em> with Skye and Sharon, so we’ll be darned if this picture wasn’t making it in! Unlike in the Hanks movie, though, Skye did not get ejected from the volcano… RIP.</p>
<p><em>Bold & Beautiful</em>’s visit to Lake Como gave the folks a chance to take a dip in its gorgeous waters — whether they wanted to or not. But c’mon, how could Stephanie resist that invitation? It would’ve been shocking if she <em>hadn’t</em> pushed Sally into the lake!</p>
<p>Ericaland is a lot like Hollywood, what with that big sign and all, but in this place, everyone is named Erica and has egos the size of Australia. And that’s why Ms. Kane hailed a cab out of there as soon as she could. How’s a gal supposed to feel special in a place like that? “Taxi!”</p>
<p>Ah, back to beautiful Venice, the Floating City of Italy. Holden’s brother Seth took fiancée Frannie there on the most romantic of getaways. Or did he take Sabrina there? Eh, they were identical and he was engaged to both of Julianne Moore’s characters, so… same difference?</p>
<p>There’s nothing like a nice vacation to the Virgin Islands. Just look at that breathtaking view! The one drawback is that the hats don’t have tops. Oh, and Morgan’s husband gave Josh a beating when he thought the two of them were sleeping together. But that sounds more like a <em>Josh </em>problem than a St. Croix problem.</p>
<p>Fun fact: Italy’s picturesque Portofino is a gorgeous vacation spot that lies on the Gulf of Genoa. Maybe that’s why Stephanie looks so confused here. “Wait, Sally, are you saying we <em>aren’t</em> in Wisconsin?” </p>
<p><em>Young & Restless</em> did actually go to Hawaii for Danny and Christine’s lavish 1990 wedding. And they didn’t even have to sacrifice anyone to a volcano to make it happen! Oh, and the trip also featured Danny in a Speedo. Ah, the good old days!</p>
Previous in NewsFourteen Years After the Controversial Gay Kissing Ban Ended, Remember the Disastrous Way a Classic Soap Got Itself a Whole Mess of Negative Publicity
Next in NewsWhen Calls the Heart Preview: An Old Foe Returns to Hope Valley — and Bill Quickly Puts a Plan Into Motion to Stop [Spoiler] In His Tracks