News Roundup: Shocking Rumors, Heartbreaking Losses and a Real-Life Health Scare
Plus, addressing some surprising rumors.
Don’t miss a beat in the fast-paced world for daytime with highlights of all the latest news for The Bold and the Beautiful, Days of Our Lives, General Hospital, and The Young and the Restless in one convenient place
The Bold and the Beautiful
Kiara Barnes (Zoe) gave an exclusive video interview to Soaps that revealed how she really feels about her character’s exit. The actress also opened up about how Fantasy Island changed her life and more. Don’t miss it.
- Congratulations go out to Darin Brooks (Wyatt) and his wife Kelly Kruger (Eva), who found a creative way to share the big news that they are expecting their second child.
- Even as Finn was dealing with the shocking discover about his mom’s identity, fans were taking him to task for his behavior.
- Sheila’s return has turned everything upside down… and might even have the unexpected consequence of leading to the end Quinn’s relationship with Carter.
- Get ready to see just how easily the latest addition to Don Diamont’s (Bill) family is fitting in by taking a look at this cute photo.
This week, Bold & Beautiful had one thing on its mind: Sheila Carter’s return. Richard looks at what worked, what didn’t and explains why he found himself completely intrigued by the possibilities presented by two lesser characters, all in this week’s Soapbox column.
Days of Our Lives
Salem has a lot in common with the mythical land in Oz in that both are places where people come and go so quickly. This week, Alison Sweeney departed in dramatic fashion as Sami was kidnapped. (By who? Well, we have our suspicions… ) Meanwhile, Sweeney says that while she’ll be off canvas for a bit, this definitely won’t be the end of her troublemaking alter ego!
- Former Days star Jen Lilley (ex-Theresa) shared some heart-warming photos of her daughter’s birthday tea party and mused on the fact that sometimes, dreams really do come true!
- Tamara Braun (Ava) reflected on a past trauma and how it helped her to become the woman she is now. Read her inspiring words about overcoming obstacles.
- Bryan Dattilo (Lucas) offered a bittersweet sendoff to his dog after the handsome pup passed away.
Lori is curious to see where Ben and Ciara are headed now that they have finally reunited, was surprised that EJ called Sami out on her betrayal so quickly, and takes a guess at who abducted Sami and in the latest Days of Our Lives column.
Friday the 13th proved to be very bad luck for one popular castmember. Just as he was about to set off on a tour with co-star Bradford Anderson (Spinelli), Steve Burton (Jason) tested positive for COVID. Find out how he’s handling the news and what this means for his summer plans.
- Kiki’s former portrayer, Hayley Erin, got a double-dose of good news as she gave birth to twin girls and shared a few precious photos from the delivery room.
- Believe it or not, Maurice Benard has been playing Port Charles’ premiere mobster Sonny Corinthos for 28 years! We mark the occasion by taking a look back at the Daytime Emmy winner’s history with a special photo album filled with memories.
- Last week she was clearing up the fact that she’s not quit acting, but that didn’t prepare Emmy Rylan (ex-Lulu) for having to explain that she’s not dead. Find out how this story gets even stranger.
- Former Ryan’s Hope star Michael Corbett (Michael) addressed the rumors that he’d been cast on GH… and why the idea isn’t so far-fetched!
In this week’s General Hospital column, Dustin plays detective while trying to piece together who might have killed Naomi. Meanwhile, he wonders how Lenny’s death will impact “Mike” and his time in Nixon Falls, is caught off guard by Ava’s behavior, and ries to figure out who killed Naomi, wonders whether Lenny’s death will wind up keeping “Mike” in Nixon Falls indefinitely, was surprised Ava doesn’t seem to want revenge on Spencer, and blames Tracy for Austin’s appearance in the lives of the Quartermaine clan.
The Young and the Restless
Our hearts go out to veteran Young & Restless star Jess Walton (Jill) following the news of the devastating loss of her husband John. Read Walton’s beautiful tribute to her husband of 40 years.
- While it was great that Kyle and Summer finally got the happy ending that many fans wanted to see for the couple, the plot that ushered them off was far from overwhelming. Read our thoughts on what went wrong.
- Michelle Stafford reuinted with her onscreen son Michael Graziadei (ex-Daniel) wound up going into full-blown Mama Bear mode. Soon after, the actress revealed that she’d be leaving social media, at least for a little while. Read why she made the decision and when she might return.
- Melissa Claire Egan (Chelsea) may be taking time off for maternity leave, but she was sure to post a last selfie at work before exiting Genoa City to have her baby.
Candace was relieved that people were finally panicking about Mariah, still suspects that Ashland could be faking his illness, thought Kyle and Summer’s sendoff was nice even if it didn’t make sense, and an Adam/Sally pairing in her latest The Young and the Restless column.
Find reasons to tune in this week with all the latest spoilers and speculation for what’s ahead on your favorite soap.
- Just as it looks like Carter and Quinn are prepared to commit to each other, Eric says something that could change everything. Find out how his soon-to-be-ex-wife reacts in the Bold and Beautiful weekly spoiler video.
- The mystery of Ashland Locke may soon be cracked, for while the media mogul and Victoria are distracted by their wedding plans, Billy and Nick are digging for dirt on the dude in the latest Young and the Restless video spoiler.
Summer may be coming to an end quicker than any of us would like, but there’s at least one reason to celebrate: Hallmark will be releasing a new crop of films for the Fall season! You won’t want to miss the full schedule and take a sneak peek at which familiar soap stars will be popping up.
- Get a look inside the astounding San Fernando oasis of This Is Us star Chrissy Metz (Kate) now that the property is on the market. Plus, check out this gorgeous gallery of the homes of soap stars.
Get the soap news, spoilers and interviews in your inbox daily with Soaps.com’s newsletter. And have a look through the gallery ranking the wildest stories in soap opera history.
<p>You’re going to see a lot of <em>Guiding Light</em>’s Reva Shayne on this list. And the sanest of the reasons why is the early-1990s revelation that after she plunged to her “death” off an unfinished bridge in the Florida Keys — “Worst… vacation… ever,” declared her soulmate, Josh Lewis — she’d wound up convinced that she was an Amish woman named Rebecca.</p>
<p>Oops. In 2010, <em>The Bold and the Beautiful</em> had Brooke Logan celebrate daughter Hope’s high-school graduation by sneaking off to a corner of the party and getting it on with her “destiny,” Ridge Forrester. One teensy problem: Erm, that <em>wasn’t</em> Ridge that she boinked, it was Hope’s boyfriend, Oliver Jones. Somehow, thanks to their masks, neither of them realized that the bodies they were fondling didn’t belong to their significant others!</p>
<p>Forget burying the hatchet. In the early 1990s, <em>Days of Our Lives</em>’ Vivian Alamain instead buried alive the thorn in her side, Carly Manning. But that was just the show’s opening act. Its wildest plots were yet to come. Keep scrolling; you’ll get there.</p>
<p>One of daytime’s earliest, bat-guano-crazy storylines was set in motion in 1981, when <em>General Hospital</em> supercouple Luke Spencer and Laura Baldwin embarked on a quest to prevent the stone-cold Cassadines from using a secret formula hidden in the base of a statuette called the Ice Princess to make a popsicle of planet Earth. Now if you’ll excuse us, we need to go get a sweater…</p>
<p><em>Days of Our Lives</em> mixed<em> E.T</em>. and PYTs in 2002 when a meteor shower dropped on Salem scantily-clad twins Rex and Cassie, who weren’t really Martians at all but the genetically engineered offspring of Roman Brady and Kate Roberts. Which, come to think of it, was almost as much of a head-scratcher as the hotties having been from outer space.</p>
<p>We’ll never understand why <em>The Young and the Restless</em>’ supposedly all-powerful Victor Newman can’t beat nemesis Jack Abbott fair and square — but he sure as shooting can’t. So in 2015, he let Jack be abducted by his insane ex, Kelly Andrews, and replaced him — even in wife Phyllis Summers’ bed (eww!) — with a nefarious lookalike, Marco Annicelli. Keep it classy, Vic.</p>
<p>In one of the most demented stories <em>The Bold and the Beautiful</em> ever told, we learned that Stephanie Forrester had let husband Eric believe for eons that eldest daughter Angela had been stillborn. Meanwhile, the queen bee had had their microcephalic child looked after in secret — until her wheelchair took her on a fatal roll down a hill. In the aftermath, her careless doctor brought in a substitute Angela, who lost her marbles after being badly singed in a car crash.</p>
<p>“Go big or go home!” pretty much having been <em>Passions</em>’ motto, perhaps it shouldn’t have been such a jaw-dropper in the mid-2000s when the NBC soap revealed that its malevolent blackmailer Vincent Clark was intersex, then proceeded to have them schtup both their brother <em>and</em> father. And <em>then</em> had them give birth to their own half sibling. Mm-hmm, it was so out there, there was no coming back!</p>
<p><em>Days of Our Lives</em> came to resemble <em>Night of the Living Dead</em> in 2004, after the Salem Stalker — Marlena Evans in Jason Voorhees drag — laid waste to half the town before being killed herself… <em>and</em> turning up alive and well along with all of her loved ones on the island of Melaswen (New Salem spelled backwards). Who was to blame for the horrific bait and switch? Tony DiMera, that was who. Only even <em>that</em> reveal was a trick: He turned out to be his lookalike cousin, Andre!</p>
<p>Art aficionados don’t come any more enthusiastic than <em>Guiding Light</em>’s Reva, who in 2001 became so fixated on a painting that she allowed it to transport her through time, first to Edwardian England, then to the Civil War era, WWII Germany… You name it, she went there. Short of <em>Family Guy</em>’s time-tripping baby Stewie Griffin, no one is more well-traveled than the so-called Slut of Springfield. (By the way, this photo <em>isn’t</em> from that plot, it’s from when she was the princess of San Cristobel; don’t ask.)</p>
<p>It might have been the pandemic that inspired <em>The Bold and the Beautiful</em> to pair poor, mental Thomas Forrester with a murderous mannequin that resembled the object of his obsession, Hope Logan. How much safer could love scenes get, right? But the big shock of the twisted arc that resulted wasn’t its ingenuity but its poignancy; in the end, the whole weird mess was less bonkers than it was brilliant.</p>
<p><em>Dark Shadows</em> was knock, knock, knocking at death’s door in 1967, when the gothic soap’s creator Dan Curtis threw a Hail Mary — or was it a <em>Hell</em> Mary? — and disentombed long-in-the-tooth vampire Barnabas Collins. Ironically, the move pumped new life’s blood into the show and made it, however fleetingly, an overnight sensation.</p>
<p>By 2007, <em>Young & Restless</em>’ embattled Lauren Fenmore thought that she was finally rid of the evil nurse who had stolen her husband, son and peace of mind. “Not so fast,” replied Sheila. The Michael Myers of daytime had inexplicably had herself plastic surgery’d to look like Lauren’s pal, Phyllis, only to be “killed” yet again and returned with her old face to <em>The Bold and the Beautiful</em> in ’17.</p>
<p>There would be no phoning home for the <em>General Hospital</em> E.T. who landed in Port Charles in 1990; roaming charges, don’t ya know? Following a brief stay in the orbit of Anna Devane and daughter Robin Scorpio, the space cadet obtained the critical intergalactic crystal that would send him rocketing back to planet Lumina, leaving behind a doppelgänger to woo his benefactor.</p>
<p>After <em>Guiding Light</em> “killed” Reva for the umpteenth time in the late 1990s — or was it the umpteenth-and-seventh? — “widower” Josh was so sick of using air quotes to describe their relationship that he just up and Xeroxed his death-defying wife, a to-hell-with-it gambit that had viewers saying, “Well, hello, Dolly!” to a replica that grew up as fast as she was put down.</p>
<p>When folks say that daytime soaps are silly, unreal, over the top, often what they mean is that they’ve vaguely heard of the <em>Days of Our Lives</em> storyline in which beloved heroine Marlena was demonically possessed. What they never know, and probably never will, is that the storyline was as thrilling and successful as it was daring and unexpected.</p>
Previous in NewsBeloved Soap Vet Speaks Out in Shock and Disbelief: 'The Internet Is Saying That I'm Dead and People Should Just Come Right Into My House!'
Next in NewsChesapeake Shores Teasers: Two Men From Bree's Past Reappear — Plus, There’s an Unexpected Twist and an Impending Lawsuit Threatens the O'Briens