The Young and the Restless - NEWS ROOM

In our 'The Young and the Restless' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

The Young and the Restless Weekly Blog!

Friday, May 29 2009

Soaps.com
    Restless Rant
    Week of 25 - 29:

The Young and the Restless got off to a strong start this week, but it lost steam at many points along the line. I may have set my expectations a little high after the spectacular blow-up between Jack and Phyllis on Monday, but the remaining episodes only had glimpses of that same spice. Let's dissect:

Jack/Sharon/Nick/Phyllis: We are certainly being treated to some phenomenal acting with this quadrangle - the storyline, however, leaves something to be desired. There's an argument here that this is classic drama, but I find it feels recycled and has gone on too long - featuring characters that, oddly, we don't entirely know anymore. I hardly recognize Phyllis as the wishy-washy wife, begging her husband not to leave, and while I love Jack's angry scenes, the character's undignified capitulating and cloying desperation where Sharon is concerned is almost embarrassing to watch - isn't Jack supposed to be stronger? Sharon is still struggling to hold onto the threads of her former self - at least there is an explanation as to why she hasn't been behaving like herself. Nick, finally, is the man with the power to change everyone's life with his decision. Too bad his decision changes with each passing week - the 'big moment' on Friday, when he chose Sharon, had reduced impact because everyone is rolling their eyes wondering how long before he'll 'pong' back over to Phyllis! It is only the stellar job the actors are doing with the material that makes this worth watching.

Jack/Billy: The confrontation in the Abbott living room started off wonderfully, but boy was it jarring when Chloe and Sharon showed up and Jack covered for Billy! I was deflated by the way the scene ended. That said, I loved that they had John's ghost pop in after to remind Jack that he once slept with Jill when he was married to her! Heehee!

Cane/Lily:
    I guess all the sweetness and light is to make the disappointment, when it comes, sting that much more. Can't wait to find out more about Cane and Uncle Langley - which brings me to…

Nina:
    I'm thinking she's going to be heavily involved in the Cane/Langley story, which makes me excited and interested to see what will happen! Currently, I'm just loving her interactions with everyone - such a straight shooter!

Devon/Neil/Tyra: Nice that Devon and Neil made up this week - it felt right. Besides, Devon knows he's going to need help tracking down his bio-dad! As for Neil and Tyra, they've settled right down into storyline oblivion, with that little matter of his recent marriage to someone else reduced to a mere inconvenience in the minds of all. I hope the Devon tale picks up steam, though, because I love his ornery little outbursts, and I enjoy seeing Neil have something to do on the show.

Mac/Raul/Billy/Chloe: So Mac is ready to make a life with Raul, but isn't ready to live in the same state as him. Hmmm. As for her feelings for Billy, all I can say is, "Thou protest too much!" Let's hope that she sticks to her guns though, since even those who have been enjoying Mac's scenes with other characters, don't seem to be feeling her with Billy - an overwhelming percentage of voters in Soaps.com's recent poll, said they prefer Billy with his wife! I am enjoying the Mac and Chloe scenes, though - they have a good dynamic! As for Chloe moving out of the poolhouse - right move, girl!

Soaps.com
    Daniel/Amber/Kevin/Jana: I am really curious to see where the writers are going with this new closeness between Jana and Daniel. I'm not suggesting that they're going for a romantic pairing, but as stated previously, these two have a chemistry that borders on that, so it will be interesting to see what the TPTB choose to do with it. Daniel's scene with Sharon this week was good too - very realistic.

Glo/Jeff:
    Can't wait to see what they get up to as squatters in Phyllis's penthouse! Too funny!

Addam's Family: This storyline has officially crossed into 'draggy' territory for me - which is one of the reasons I found this week a little underwhelming at times. The pace needs to sharpen for this story to remain viable - the plot is certainly compelling - it's just the endless scenes of the new 'watered-down' version of Ashley in bed, Liv and Victor whispering, and Adam at the laptop that are giving it a repetitive feel. Still, I can't wait to see what Adam springs on us next. And what's up with Frank the jailbird being his accomplice?! After the big speech Frank gave Victor in jail about his family, yada yada, we're supposed to believe that he now wants to risk going back to the slammer - for Adam? Weird. It was a nice move adding JT and Victoria into the mix this week - hope they stay involved.

While there are plenty of storylines that are intriguing, and twigging me to wonder what will happen next, there are some big storylines that are bogging down a tad. Something really unexpected needs to happen in the Nick/Phyllis/Jack/Sharon story to keep it from being a drawn-out partner swap, and, no, I don't mean Sharon having twins with different fathers - ugh - please don’t do that to her - it's too 'Passions'. The Adam tale needs to be a little snappier, and I'd like to see Nina jump right in up to her elbows unraveling the Cane mystery - butting heads with Jill all the way!

What are your thoughts on the week? Be sure to weigh in below, whether you've got a favorite storyline or character, or your mind changes constantly like mine - it's all good - share!

- Candace Young

Posted by immaiitch at Friday, May 29 2009 09:07 AM

I am so tired of Billy and Mac and having to watch Mac hold her feelings back while Billy pines away for her over and over and over. I am also tired of the Nick/Phyllis/Sharon triangle, but since they announced Sharon's pregnancy, it got me a little interested again, although it won't last long. We already know it's going to be at least 3 weeks before we find anything out with the paternity. Some people are speculating about Billy being Jack's son and we will find that out with Sharon's paternity test which is AWESOME IDEA btw! And some people are also speculating that Sharon is preggers with twins or even triplets, and all 3 guys being a father to each baby. Either way, it's something different and out in left field, so it's always possible!

I will be sad to see Chris Engen leave the role of Adam. I wish the writers would have just wrote the gay storyline out a little different so we didn't have to lose Chris! It takes me a while to adjust to a new actor reprising someone else's role, and he will have big shoes to fill as far as I'm concerned!!!

Posted by gracie5 at Friday, May 29 2009 09:10 AM

Good rant Candace I like Daniel and Jana's chemistry too. But I want the TPTB to keep Daniel and Amber together. I also agree about J\P\S\N s\l. I want my SHICK back but not if Nick is going to play wife swap all the time. I want Sharon's baby to be Nicks. As for Adumb he needs to be brought to his knees for what he is doing to Ashley.

Posted by beachbum14 at Friday, May 29 2009 09:19 AM

Nick is such a wuss I want to vomit! The fiery chemistry he & Phyllis had just poofed away?! What?! Cassie wasn't even HIS daughter and he ignores his own! Ridiculous storyline...Phyllis has lost her fire and turned into a doormat. Neil, who was the only man with any integrity left on the show, cheated, lied, and is now in la-la land with a hussy?! Geez, give me a break! Cane (obviously not who he claims to be) and Lily can't for once be HAPPY?! Kay is the only decent character left on this soap! The storyline with Adam is so bizarre that it insults my intelligence!!!!!!!!! And Victor is supposed to be such an intelligent man and HE can't 'SEE' what's going on here?! Dummy!! Maybe Nikki & Paul will take off into a decent, honorable storyline...if it's possible for Y&R anymore. I watch it...the only soap I watch...because it had such great real life storylines that helped with normalcy and not something out of the Twilight Zone like all the others! If things don't change from all this nauseating madness...I'm turning off the tube and reading more!!! Come on writers!!! What has happened??!!

Posted by Chrissi_Soaps.com at Friday, May 29 2009 09:29 AM

I'm enjoying every bit of the show except that I agree, the Adam bit is dragging now. Getting antsy! I wouldn't care if Sharon had twins from different fathers. After all, I write the DOOL recaps. HAHA That's the norm for this gal! *grin* Thanks for the rant!

Posted by Becca Mom at Friday, May 29 2009 10:04 AM

I personally hope Daniel and Lilly get back together, he grown up more and she has too!!

Cane has diappointed me greatly, I thought finally a nice guy...NO SUCH LUCK!! I hate that now he just doesn't look the same to me anymore.

Nick is going to be the father and Phylis and Jack will raise Summer because Jack was the father....that just never came out!

Adam....dumb storyline. Ashley is too old to be pregnant and who really cares or likes her anyway??

Jeff & Glo as long as they find some money they will be fine!!

Neil & Tyra the only thing that would make me happy about that is if Drew showed back up and showed Miss Tyra what a real diva does to keep a man!!!

Posted by adamfan at Friday, May 29 2009 11:02 AM

I absolutely HATE what they've done to the Adam character, I can't stand watching Ashley loose this baby, it's cruel and inane....... they've made Adam a Freek.... so sorry about that.
    I wish Nick and Sharon to get back together and SOON, enough already.. isn't Summer really Jack's anyway?

Posted by Aemanuel at Friday, May 29 2009 11:16 AM

I JUst want a Sharon and Nick Reunion, thats all i'm watching for!Phyllis a word of advice,what goes around comes around so be careful what u do!!!lol!Now u know firsthand how Noah and Sharon felt!!!

Posted by titans at Friday, May 29 2009 11:22 AM

I am really hoping that Nick doesn't change his mind or this isn't a dream. I think the reason Nick is flip flopping is because he keeps staying with Phyllis an he knows in his heart that isn't where he belongs. He belongs with Sharon. when he makes the right decision...he won't have to keep making the same decision over and over again.

I love Billy and Chloe together....they could be the next Phyllis and Jack.....

I think these writers must have wrote for Passions at one time....the chipmunk was bad enough.....but they have absolutely missed the mark on Adam. Adam was raised by good kind hearted loving people....to try to have us believe he is this type of person is ridiculous. If he is going to this kind of measure which could be the result in the death of an unborn infant....his character is not worth saving. Unforgiveable not matter what spin you put on it. My suggestion is forget having him as part of the gay story, because at this point....he should rot in jail......

I can have compassion on him for what he tried to do to Victor and to frame him, but not an innocent child and a woman who has done nothing but accept him. You could also see him doing something like this to Nikki because she has frowned on him since he was a baby.....no reason for doing it to Ashley.

He should have came in and competed with Nick and Victoria in business.....play mind games and do sneaky things to come out on top at Newman and things of that nature....have an affair with Phyllis....but to have his character turn this way....it not redeemable at this point. Unless you find someone that is holding a gun to his head as payback to Victor for stealing their company....nothing can redeem him.....

Posted by ShaShaSha at Friday, May 29 2009 12:00 PM

I think Jack showing weakness is realistic, after all he's older now, has had several failed marriages. I can believe a man like him would try to hang on to this relationship and besides Nick & Victoria for a little while, he's never really raised a kid.

It would be way more interesting if Sharon continues to reject Nick and Phyllis decides she doesn't want him either. That would be new idea for a soap. Have Nick try to steal Heather from Adam, Victor would love that. LOL!!

They could borrow from recent(true)news and have Sharon have fraternal twins fathered by 2 different men

Posted by juann at Friday, May 29 2009 12:30 PM

Wonderful rant this week Candace! I was so happy that Mac accepted Raul's marriage proposal, but then was disappointed when Mac said she was not ready to return to Washington with him. I suspect that this was the last time we will see Raul. He was on for only 4 episodes and I figured his time on screen would be more. There is also a part of me that thinks that Mac is hiding her true feelings for Billy and was using Raul as a cover up because Mac said she did not want to be the other woman. I like the fact that Chloe and Mac have bonded somewhat and I am glad that Chloe moved out. She may not be one of my favorite characters but my opinion of her is changing slightly as she has shown she does have some self respect and she is a wonderful mom for Delia. The quadrangle between Jack/Sharon/Phyllis/Nick has officially reached "boring to me". I can see that this is going to drag on for a while so I hope that we can see some better scenes between these 4 instead of the same old flip-flopping around all the time. Personally, I think Sharon would be better off by herself that with either one of these men! The Addam's family is another storyline that I am having a hard time getting invested in. Chris Engan is doing a great job playing his part, but Ashley and Victor have officially become boring to me. These characters are being written as "mush" to me, and I don't agree with it.The way Victor is behaving is almost as disappointing as watching him through his depression after Sabrina died and his Paris storyline. I personally would like to see Victor as his usual self, ruthless, brilliant and exceptional business man. This is the character that I love to hate and hate to love! I am enjoying every minute that Nina is on screen and I am looking forward to the storyline with Cane and Uncle Langley -a.k.a. Phillip ChancellorIII. I have always loved Nina and I am glad she is back. It was nice having David Lago on screen again, but his time in Genoa City was not nearly long enough! Have a great weekend Candace! P.S. Candace, in the blog that you wrote 2 weeks ago, you stated that you have a teenage daughter and I just wanted to say that by looking at your picture, you definitely don't look old enough to have a teenage daughter! You take care of yourself very well and isn't it nice to look young!! Thanks, Julie Ann

MORE COMMENTS: 1 2 3 » »| page: