The Young and the Restless - NEWS ROOM

In our 'The Young and the Restless' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

Y&R Restless Rant Weekly Blog.

Friday, July 18 2014

Is Mariah Sharon's? (CBS)
    Spying on Genoa City for the week of July 14 - 18:

This week, much like the past 3 years, has been flat, dry, and uninspiring. The storylines move so s l o w l y and characters have this subdued energy. There’s a running theme in Genoa City that people just can’t seem to let go and move on which makes for no escapism for fans. The stories aren’t there. It may be promoted as the highest rated soap but how many fans are watching out of habit more than anything? Please weigh in and let Soaps.com know why you continue to watch Y&R and leave a comment about your thoughts of the GC goings on this week.

Wedding.
    Jack did the right thing, showing up for this ridiculous farce of a wedding. Instead of alienating his “daughter,” he made the right choice and walked Summer down the aisle with Nick. Still, it was almost a crime that they felt forced to defend Austin when the coppers stopped the wedding. Meh.

Insurance fraud.
    This storyline isn’t very juicy so far except that it’s good to see two strong women in scenes together. Lauren would have done well not to have welcomed ole Colin into the family business. You know he’s only going to mess things up. They may be strong but on this subject, they’re a bit daft.

Who is Mariah?
    It’s time to get the skinny on Mariah’s past. Are you concerned that it’ll go something like this: Mariah is somehow really Sharon’s kid, that Ian somehow stole at birth and somehow Sharon didn’t know she was carrying twins. Hopefully that’s not what’s coming but with Mariah’s mother arriving in CG this August, one wonders what we’re in for.

The mysterious case of the lipstick.
    There's really nothing worth discussing this week concerning this storyline. It's dragging on... and on...and on...Out with the revelation already. The clocks a tickin'.

Names: Jack and Kelly
    Location: Snoresville.

Cady McClain’s a brilliant actress, hilarious and yet Kelly has zero personality and nothing compels us to care for her let alone her relationship with Jack. Why bring in such a heavy hitter if not to use her to the best of her ability? Maybe when Phyllis wakens from the coma we’ll see some changes. Anything but this shrinking violet.

Y&R does love to dangle a carrot in front of us for a full year before giving us a bite.
    After an entire year, we now know a bit of Ben's history and that he and Kelly are siblings. My how far we’ve come from thinking they were married. We also know Ben stole someone’s identity and he’s a murderer. Even though Kelly spilled to Jackie Boy, it’s probably just the tip of the iceberg. Let’s get a move on and tell the rest of the story already. We’re not getting any younger.

Nu-nu-Billy/Chelsea/Victoria.
    Viewers are still getting used to Nu-nu-Billy. It’d be easier if the writers would tweak his dialogue more to match Billy Miller’s Billy. Sadly, the show hasn’t selected a replacement for Michael Muhney yet, so it’s likely we’re looking at several months until that story with Adam goes anywhere. That’s “Y&R” for ya. Dangle that carrot!

Cricket and Paul.
    Who discusses whether or not to have a baby at the office? And maybe they should hold off on having a kid. Paul’s got a lot to wrap his head around with the news that Dylan’s his son. The man needs some space. Besides, it’s not as though the kid would ever see its parents since they’re both workaholics.

Yep. (CBS)
    “Saint Nikki.”
    Drama queen? Fragile alcoholic? No matter how fans view her, Nikki needs a friend and therapist. Without Katherine or AA will she resume drinking? She’s thisclose to diving off the wagon and into a bottle of Grey Goose over this ridiculous lawsuit of Ian’s, not to mention her MS issues. It actually could be more fun to see than watching what we’re subjected to otherwise. Some viewers have to dive into a bottle themselves just to get through a week of watching this show... but I digress. It’s gotten so bad that Nikki actually thinks her diary is somehow concrete proof that Ian has caused her stress. Did she have a secret drinky before handing the journal over to Michael? Shouldn’t Michael have told her that the defense would argue that she could have written it yesterday? What planet are these people on?

Some things aren’t for sharing.
    Ew. Whether or not Devon and Hilary AKA Miss Low Rent and Looney (special thanks to BronzeBritBabe for that) are good together, you don’t do your daddy’s wife even if she is a yummy mummy. For some reason many of us thought they’d try harder than an entire week to maintain their willpower but at the first chance got down and dirty in the laundry room where anyone could and did walk in on them. Hilary proclaimed her love for her new husband to Cane but her actions moments before told another story. She should thank her lucky stars Miss High and Mighty Lily wasn’t the one to catch them in the act. Lily’s disparaging comments have already gone way past the point of disrespect for her father, even if she’s right. It’s time to just let Hilary ruin herself and be there for her dad when he needs her. Since Neil’s been dumbed down beyond belief, he’s going to need all the support he can get when he learns the truth so that he doesn’t drown his sorrows in Nikki’s bottle of Grey Goose. As Candi said last week in her Restless Rant, “It's not realistic that someone who has been around the block, and who has been burned before, is not seeing the signs right in front of him.” You said it, sister. I didn’t even want to bring this up but what if Hilary becomes pregnant? Oy.

Incidentally, this is not the first time something like this has happened in a GC family. Check out yesterday’s Y&R Throwback Thursday to find out who else aside from Jill and Katherine had this now recycled ‘keep it in the family’ storyline in the past!

Traci.
    It’s always good to see Traci but here we go again with this altogether too familiar theme of mourning over a dead child. Really, it feels as though that’s all “Y&R” is about anymore. It’s very dark. The best part of Traci’s return was seeing her tell Abby to look to herself for happiness. Excellent advice even if it’s a tough sell for our ditzy Abby.

Another one who isn’t happy.
    Sure it’s with good reason that Kevin's unhappy and blah blah blah but he’s so much better than the storylines he’s given. All I have to say about this is thank goodness it appears as though he’s moving on from Chloe and hopefully – hopefully into an exciting storyline. We miss Chloe but it's time to move the story along.

Follow Soaps.com on Twitter, and Soaps.com on Facebook.

- Christine Fix

Posted by Chrissi_Soaps.com at Friday, July 18 2014 10:40 AM

Hi!

With Candi on holiday I'm filling in by writing her Restless Rant for this and next week. I know that you're used to Candi's excellent columns but I hope you'll enjoy my humble thoughts as well!

Feel free to leave me a few comments and enjoy your weekend!

Chrissi

Posted by cavi at Friday, July 18 2014 11:04 AM

Your recap of the week is so funny and it's made me feel better, too - less guilty - about having such critical thoughts lately about my soap! I completely agree with what you say about Kelly. I like the actor but the character isn't making me care. I know its the writing but I do have to say that I did love Cynthia Watros in the part - I knew then that there was a lot more to find out about Kelly and somehow was more willing to be patient. But, arrrgh, Kelly always seems to be momentarily brushing past people and being caught off-guard, and it seems that she keeps doing a lot of that even now that she's supposed to be more established. Although I'm a viewer who is rooting for Christine and Paul to make it as a married couple and have their kid, I do see where you're coming from. Still, I'm sick of Nikki! And I agree about Kevin. I was glad to see his phone call scene this week and am crossing my fingers that he will soon have a new story.

Posted by Rfan at Friday, July 18 2014 11:05 AM

Do I have this right Lily is high and mighty because she is not in the let us all love the woman who stalked her, posted lies about her husband on line to break up her marriage and gave her husband a deadly drug she knew could kill him. I have not seen anything high and mighty about Lily I see a woman that can see through a skank while the so called men that are suppose to be Lily's family act like fools.

Posted by Chrissi_Soaps.com at Friday, July 18 2014 11:19 AM

Thanks Cavi. I felt bad while writing some of it. Cynthia Watros is amazing as well. Thanks for the great feedback!!

Rfan - Good point. My point was more that Lily keeps snarking about Hilary and it's repetitive now so I figure he has heard her and needs to now make his own mistake.

Posted by restlesstalk at Friday, July 18 2014 11:20 AM

I wonder if you make comments about Lily being "high and mighty" to make certain Lane/Lily fans are still here. Well, we are. I love reading how obvious Lily haters describe her. #1 Lily is being neither high or mighty. She remembers what HilAnn did to her, her husband, and her father. She is the ONLY one holding HilAnn accountable, and SHE is the only one who has not received an apology.

What type of upside down writing is it that the victim is now seen to be responding the one out of line?

#2 Lily is being as respectful, of Neil, as she can considering Neil has disrespected her, and been angry at her for MONTHS. It anyone is high or mighty, it is he. If anyone is acting holier than thou, it is he

Don't like Lily, that is your perrogative, but at least tell thw truth.

Posted by Chrissi_Soaps.com at Friday, July 18 2014 11:30 AM

restlesstalk - Thanks for the feedback. I have nothing against Lily! This is just a blog. This is just my thoughts on the week. It has nothing to do with Lane fans. I wouldn't disrespect any fan's choice of who they love on our soap! Sorry if you saw it that way. I already explained my stance on this and you as well had a very good point. I guess I am simply tired of this whole storyline and how they're making Lily so bitter. That's not the Lily that I'd like to see!!

Posted by caliroz at Friday, July 18 2014 11:37 AM

I love everything you said,especially that you pointed out they are wasting the awesome Cady McClain who I loved on AMC and ATWT. When they give her something meaty it's such a treat such as when she finally told Jack that Stitch is her brother. Why,oh why,do those in charge not speed things up, make things more realistic, stop repeating themselves and understand continuity and history are critical. And enough with the Summer stuff! My gosh, that storyline is rushed, ridiculous and almost laughably bad. I still cannot believe HHK won an Emmy! Or that the show won one and I love this show but it's gone so downhill. I worry the awards validate the producers to continue with the status quo. It may be the highest rated but it also has far lower ratings than it had just a few years ago. I'll keep watching and hoping it gets back to how great I know it can be.

Posted by Supercouplevilly at Friday, July 18 2014 11:43 AM

I don't watch (not worth the heartache without BM)

I do read the recaps, need to know, just don't want to watch Victoria (AH) with anyone except the one and only true Billy (BM)

Maybe if they had given us a love scene before he left, and if BM had actually wanted to go, it might be different.

Posted by lovel at Friday, July 18 2014 11:57 AM

For me, Billy Miller is Billy Abbott. Can't watch any new Billy with Vikki. Really like Stitch. YouTube clips of Sticky. But I absolutely cannot forget the poor treatment of Michael Muhney. I don't watch because of the departures. Just when I am tempted back to see Devon/Hillary & Lily/Cain. I see that stupid hand of "Adam" and tune out. If it's not Michael M. than kill off Adam.

Posted by ebergstraz at Friday, July 18 2014 12:04 PM

Thanks for the weekly rant, Chrissi! I don't watch the show (since Billy Miller and Michael Muhney have left), but I do read the daily and weekly updates. Here's to Adam Newman's fast return!

MORE COMMENTS: 1 2 3 » »| page: