The Young and the Restless - NEWS ROOM

In our 'The Young and the Restless' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

The Young And The Restless Weekly Blog.

Friday, December 06 2013

Hands-on mom... (CBS)
    Restless Rant for the week of December 2 - 6:

"Y&R" continues to need some sort of jolt and perhaps to weed out the elements least popular with viewers in order to streamline the show. Thoughts:

Thanksgiving casualty.
    Ashley flirting with Stitch was fun - wish she'd come back full-time. Also, it would be great if they'd address what's happening with Stitch's wife and child. Ashley stopping in on Victor was good too - love how he's different with her.

Working with Grandpa.
    It was cute to see Noah arrive at work feeling chipper after getting lucky with Courtney the night before, but Noah and Kyle as business rivals is a storyline that feels forced. Noah has never shown any inclination toward being an executive type, and is like a (whiny) fish out of water. Maybe that's the point, who knows? Kyle doesn't work as his next generation Abbott rival, mainly because he still hasn't come to 'feel' like an Abbott in that intangible but necessary way. Kyle being pulled into Victor's influence despite himself, and Jack seeing that he's playing into Victor's hands is the most interesting aspect of the story.

Support group.
    All of the issues surrounding Billy, Victoria, and the support group seem admirably realistic - both of them talking to other people, the tension, making-up, and basically continuing to struggle. Even Chloe finally appears to have snapped with the strain of her grief this week. Adam at Delia's roadside memorial was compelling too, as his inner battle goes on. There's definitely a sense of being torn, however, between wanting things to move forward more quickly, and wanting the grieving for Delia to be realistically depicted.

Big payday?
    The stuff with Devon, Hilary, and Mason suffers from the same plight as the Hilary and Rose storyline - other than concern for Devon, viewers aren't invested in these characters and don't really understand why they're supposed to be.

Flowers for the lady.
    Who else thinks Neil is going to propose and Leslie will tell him she's not ready for family life? Hmm. Also, what was going on with Tyler and Lily in the park - did he ask her for a favor that we didn't hear? Maybe to help him propose to Abby? In other news, Lily and Cane bantered with Jill - made me really want to find out what Katherine truly had in mind for Jill and see that storyline develop. Later, Lily seemed to get a disturbing phone call from the doctor - since she's been told she is cancer-free, any guesses as to what might be up?

Marriage woes? (CBS)
    Hands-on mom.
    Chelsea wanted to be a 'hands-on mom' but ended up putting her hands all over dad! There was good tension leading up to the kissing in the penthouse, but it was surprising how it all led to Chloe seemingly taking off with Connor. Deja-vu anyone?

Seeing that boy.
    If Victor thinks Adam is a heartless person and Chelsea's a conniving tramp, why is he so set on spending time with their offspring?

New level of weird.
    It was nice that Nick calmed down a little bit this week with regard to Dylan, who later found out he is, in fact, Nikki's son. Across town, Nikki argued with Victor about Paul. He kindly stated the obvious by reminding her that she had once been involved with Paul - such annoying dialogue. Yeesh. Of course, Paul walked in during the middle of the tiff for dramatic effect and then Nikki got her call from the lab. There is certain to be a lot more tension and arguments if Nikki tries to forge a relationship with Dylan. Do you think Nikki and Victor's marriage can survive all of this? Vote in Soaps.com's Y&R Poll: Nikki and Victor's marriage.

Model mentor.
    Sharon comforting Summer and taking on the role of her mentor at work is dangerous territory, and she's obviously well enough to be aware of that. Even if she's not on the verge of confessing, at least she's showing signs of being uncomfortable, which is good - her conscience is kicking in, and that is realistic for the character.

Someone will go down.
    Here's hoping this Carmine case gets figured out ASAP. It's just gone on long enough - Michael and Lauren harping at Paul, Paul constantly rifling through that evidence box, the dreaded hang-up calls (get a new number!), not to mention 'Mouse' doing time in his skinny jeans...gah.

Read Soaps.com’s Grey's Anatomy recap: Man On The Moon, to find out what Matthew and Jackson did together.

Follow Soaps.com on Twitter @soapoperafan and 'like' Soaps.com on Facebook. Come tweet and Facebook with us about "The Young and the Restless," all the other soap operas, "Dallas," "Glee," "Grey’s Anatomy," "Pretty Little Liars," "Revenge," "Vampire Diaries," and "Venice The Series."

- Candace Young

Posted by Harlequin39 at Friday, December 06 2013 12:13 PM

WARNING: This rant expresses the views and opinions of moi and moi only. With that said...

Chadam's kid is uber adorable but Connor's got some lousy timing, man! Mommy and daddy (Chelsea and Adam) were busy getting busy...I mean, Adam was all up in Chelsea and what not and then bummer of all bummer's, Connor picks that exact time to cry. I was like, "are you kidding?" That kid couldn't wait 16 minutes for a bottle or a diaper change? He had to wake up at that precise moment? I was like, you gotta be yanking my chain!

And for cripes sakes, Chelsea, STOP TALKING and just do it!

Who in blue-fairy land cares about "super slow?" I want "super fast" and I want it "super now." Jesus man, when are Adam and Chelsea going to park the car in the garage. Obviously Adam flicked her light-switch, so I say, get it on. Connor was changed and fed. There was no need to TALK. ENOUGH with the talking. It's time to take the hot-dog bus to taco town and...er...go to town. God, I was all ready for a little hibbity dippity and before I knew it, I'm smacked with "super slow."

Super slow my super butt! Give me some super hot horizontal mumbas, instead. Aurgh! No, I'm sorry...I should have said "super" aurgh.

Rant OVER!

Posted by Jarcom at Friday, December 06 2013 12:30 PM

After watching for almost 30 years I have taken y and r out of my dvr daily recordings....it has become so boring that most days I was just fast forwarding through the whole thing...the writers should be ashamed of themselves....most of the story lines are totally uninteresting...I can't stand most of the new characters.....the settings look cheap....the Newman "ranch" looks like a track home...and if they did one more scene in Chancelor park I was ready to throw something at the tv....all this business stuff is a bore.....some of the new actors are terrible and painful to watch....I could go on and on but bottom line is I don't care anymore ...a once great old friend is dying a slow painful death and I'm saying goodbye.....

Posted by MsSuperSuds at Friday, December 06 2013 01:56 PM

Some of your thoughts were hilarious--like the one about Vic disliking the parents but wanting to see Peanut! As for Vic & Nic's marriage, its so toxic, on & off again that its hard to care one way or another. It just feels phony right now.

As for Neil, the showrunners need to make an investment in a suitable romantic and/or marriage partner. Leslie is not IT! Neil needs a more age appropriate woman w/ lots of fire. Leslie could use a more appropriate partner w/o children also.

I don't like the writing for Devon at all. Hooking him up w/ Mason & Hilary makes him look dumb & stupid. Inheriting money should not make him lose his personality and/or his perspective on life.

Loved Jill & Cane's business dialogue. Seems like the new Biomedics Division at Chancellor is something that Victor might not want or know how to develop. Hope something comes out of that for both of them. Don't like the flirtation w/ another cancer storyline for Lily.

I Don't care about Nikki's new son or his rivalry w/ Nick over being the new son and Avery!

I agree that Laure's been harrassed enough by Carmine. Bring this puppy to an end. The newbies do absolutely nothing for me at all. A suitable niche needs to be found for Noah b/c the business plot points are not working in his favor. I am tired of the hum-drum, slow moving rehashed storylines that I watch the show as little as possible--which means almost NEVER!

Thanks for the rant.

Posted by mswoman at Friday, December 06 2013 03:47 PM

Can anyone tell me why people just stand there and take Victor's harassment, like they have no other choice? He comes into Jack's office and does it. He does it in GCAC to Chelsea. He berates Billy in Billy's own home. I wish somebody, anybody, would either call security and have Victor removed, or simply turn and walk away while Victor is still yapping.

Posted by ShiningStar82 at Friday, December 06 2013 05:06 PM

I won't be surprised to see Nikki and Victor end yet another of their marriages because of this whole thing with Dylan. Eventually his anger will thaw and when it does, Nikki is going to expect Victor to welcome him as he does their kids and in the words of the TGVN "It ain't gonna happen".
    I think what they're trying to do with Noah and NuKyle is to now put the Abbot V Newman feud in a new generation. The problem with it is, it just feels very forced.

Posted by beezwax at Friday, December 06 2013 10:12 PM

Great rant Candace. But why is the poll already closed with only so few participants? I couldn't even vote this week.

Posted by dafyduc at Saturday, December 07 2013 07:21 AM

Thank goodness the baby cried. I know the feeling. Every time I see chelsea with Adam(or anyone for that matter) I don't know whether to cry or puke.. Can't stand her. Right now Dylan and Avery rediscovering each other is about the only halfway decent story on this soap

Posted by VMVM at Saturday, December 07 2013 07:22 AM

I've been watching this show for a long time now, much longer than I thought. Even though some of the plots are ridiculous, the acting is of the highest caliber!
    I remember paul walker as the rival to ryan mcneil for victoria (heather tom), funny stuff.
    I always thought walker was a very bland actor, capable but wooden. Even in the first fast & furious, not believable in any way, shape or form that he was a "tough street racer dude", nope. The message of his tragedy? Speed kills in reality..
    Last, if it weren't for eric braeden, I wouldn't be as interested in this show. Even though he is an a-hole most of the time, when they write his character as a man of action and getting things done, legal or illegal, he works.
    Also, they should always let him be the smartest guy in the room when it comes to business and strategies.
    This is a really great actor with a unique resume, (rat patrol anyone?), jumping out of planes to find adam? Really? Yes, that's the character I want to see...

Posted by Candace_Soaps.com at Saturday, December 07 2013 12:03 PM

Thanks for the comments. Poll seems to be fine - I just voted.