The Young and the Restless - NEWS ROOM

In our 'The Young and the Restless' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

The Young and the Restless Weekly Blog!

Friday, February 27 2009

Soaps.com
    Restless Rant
    Week of February 23 - 27:

This week was a bit strange on The Young and the Restless. Monday and Tuesday's episodes seemed as dull as JT Hellstrom since he tied the knot with Victoria Newman, but the rest of the week was explosively good - can't miss television! There were some good moments during the first two days of the week, such as the Roger/Esther nuptials, Billy holding his child, Victor squirming after being one-upped by Colleen, and Jill finding out the 'baby truth', but not enough, in my opinion, to save the episodes from being boring. However, things certainly picked up after that, with amazing acting, powerful scenes, and compelling story twists! Here's the lowdown:

Tyra Takes Off: It's great that the Winters clan is getting some attention from the writers - the most they've had in a very long time, but I have issues with it - like understanding Neil. He's a little too straight to go in for infidelity, lying, and keeping secrets - so that part of the plot has been tough for me to accept - but I have - in the interest of investing in the story. Having Tyra try to take off with Ana, is also kind of unbelievable at this point, after everything that's gone on, and so is her blatant attempt to seduce Neil. We're supposed to believe that after being so deeply ashamed for kissing him the first time, that she is now a guilt-free, home wrecker-extraordinaire?! Anyway, as things stand, Karen is holding all the cards - she has confronted Neil about stalling the adoption, and about kissing Tyra - and has put him on notice! So far, I'm still sympathizing with Karen in all of this - Neil and Tyra are behaving badly. I suspect Karen is fighting a losing battle, but I'm looking forward to a good confrontation between her and Tyra - I've maintained all along that Karen has tons of spunk - now I want to see what Tyra's really made of - I really feel a need to understand this character better - it still hasn't happened!

Katherine at the Safehouse: The 'back and forth' between Katherine and Annie, with Clint's rantings thrown in every so often, has sort of one-note, and a little dull for me. It's so been done before! A welcome, interesting twist finally came at the end of this week when Esther followed Roger to the house and came face-to-face with Mrs. C! A pay-off! It was amazing when Katherine remembered Esther, and some details about their past together, and when Esther realized it was really her beloved Mrs C! Loved it! Let's hope they keep this story moving right along!

Colleen/Victor: It's been amusing watching Victor as he is rendered powerless to control a twenty-something waitress (Colleen)! I'm not thrilled by the fact that Jack is behind Colleen's power play - the Vic/Jack rivalry gets old for me - but I suspect things will get more interesting as Victor increases his efforts to get rid of Colleen, and Ashley is put in a position to defend her. Also very compelling - the idea that Victoria and Colleen might become allies as the only two women on the Newman board - wouldn't that make Victor's face pulse! Still waiting to see what the story is with the mystery woman - the plastic surgery scars should be healing anytime now!

Daniel/Amber/Jana/Kevin: Interesting change in dynamics going on with the fab foursome, as Jana and Daniel seem to be getting weary of Amber and Kevin's intense focus on all things Katherine. I'm not sure where all of this is going, but can you imagine Kevin and Amber tangling with Clint, Roger, and Annie? Now that would be a scene worth seeing! As for Daniel and Amber's love affair, I sense a definite cooling off coming - too bad they can't let them be happier longer - but I guess that's not so fun to watch…

Jeffrey/Jill/Gloria: Well, Jeffrey's too much of a rascal for me to root for him with either woman, but what a hoot having Gloria show up in lingerie at his room, pop the cork on a bottle of champagne - and the cork hits a lingerie-clad Jill! The ensuing catfight, and Jeffrey's remark that all they need is a vat of mud, was hysterical - I love the comic bits like this - makes for a good episode!

Soaps.com
    Sharon/The Shoplifting Debacle: Let me just start out by saying that I am so glad to see Doris (Sharon's mom) back on the show - it makes me feel right at home somehow! So, this storyline is really amping up toward something - I'm just still not sure what that might be! Obviously, Sharon would never let Noah and Eden take the rap for stealing, so she obviously is having blackouts when she takes things - she didn't know how she wound up with the elephant either! Judging by her purse contents, she's on medication of some sort too. Add in the fact that Doris is now talking about Sharon having had 'episodes' like this before in her life, and you've got an interesting storyline! Sharon Case has been excellent, as Sharon behaves completely out of character - shouting, being irritable, hitting people even! I'm really enjoying that fact that the writers are thinking outside the box here, and giving the actress the opportunity to do this. As for Eden - I really felt for the poor kid this time around - school of hard knocks indeed!

Nick/Jack:
    Usually I find Jack sneaky, but when he confronted Nick he was being pretty straight up, and was absolutely right in what he was saying to him. Nick, of course, didn't want to take any responsibility for Sharon's emotional state, and he made a good point too - Jack is partly to blame for sure! In the end, it seems like Nick may have digested a little of what Jack was saying after all, as evidenced by the scene in the bookstore when Nick asks Sharon if her mood is about what they've been going through. It's good that she hit him! Is it just me, or is Nick really clueless? Thick Nick…

The Quadrangle:
    Well, what a scene that was when Cane came into the Chancellor Mansion and confronted everyone! Daniel Goddard is at his very best when he's being intense - and was he ever intense this week! I actually forgot to keep typing the recap during his scenes - he scared me! It left me wondering, however, if assaulting people, and threatening a woman who has just given birth, is really the best way to prove you're good parent material - just a thought! Billy's waffling - although very, very realistic - is getting on my last nerve for some reason. Even his proposal to Chloe was off-hand - he's not sure about it at all, you can tell. Cane's proposal to Lily, at first, seemed a little opportunistic - don't tell me it hadn't crossed his mind that he would have a better shot at custody with a wife! But then I remembered that they really do love each other. Egad, yes, they do, and (tiny teaser) Monday's US episode will be a must-see for fans of Cane and Lily! This is the standout storyline of the week for me - Everyone has an opinion on this storyline - some have changed their opinion since the plot began - but everyone is invested in what happens next - brilliant writing and acting! Bravo!

After a slow start, the week turned out to be magnificent! There were lots of neat scenes, such as Victor meeting Eden, and Nikki and Vikki chatting with Colleen, which added a little something extra this week too. I'm still anxious for Katherine to get back to her old life, and I am suspending disbelief in a few storylines yet, but overall the acting has been phenomenal, as has the story telling. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Don't forget to leave your own rant, thoughts, or comment! It's all in fun, and there is no right or wrong viewpoint!

- Candace Young

Posted by dlchach at Friday, February 27 2009 11:37 AM

Righto Candace! One thing that is getting me though. They have so many storylines up in the air right now. I wish they conclude some before picking up others or give equal time to each. We are juggling the quadangle, the kidnapping, the shick/phick, the Colleen/Newman, Gloria/Jeff/Jill, Noah & Eden, Adam in jail, Damber/Janvin, Ana, *deep breath*. Then there are the ones that are just mentioned from time to time: Nikki/Paul, Heather vs Victor, Jabot Stock, and whatever happened to Restless Style?

Posted by Chrissi_Soaps.com at Friday, February 27 2009 11:37 AM

Great rant!!

Posted by jgirl41 at Friday, February 27 2009 11:52 AM

Candace...100% in agreement about Daniel Goddard KUDO to him amazing...and yes cane and lilly really do love each other and was engaged so all is good on this one...i love billy the actor and i hope that the show does not waste his talent...and instant family i dont think is where they need to go with him right now and i think that is why they are writing his character this way ...now he wants to marry chloe for the same reason he was bashing cane for...whats that all about another loveless offer to marry for baby sake

Posted by Oreo123 at Friday, February 27 2009 11:55 AM

Love it that love stories aren't just about couples reuniting but deeper issues affecting relationships: (more than cheating blah blah making one character the bad one and another the good one)i.e. Sharon's issues//Action scenes when characters act like ordinary people would: Cane punching Billy; Women standing up to their lovers/husbands//Interjection of humor: Jill and Gloria wrestling!

Posted by juann at Friday, February 27 2009 12:11 PM

Good rant this week Candace, as all of your rants are! I have to admit that I was a huge Lane fan before Lilliam, then Lilliam happened and I was beginning to invest in them as a couple. I for one have to admit that my feelings have changed a bit and now I am rooting for Lane again. I want Lily to be happy and it is clear that Lane will prevail and that makes me happy. I was a bit skeptical when Cane proposed so fast, but in the end I think things are going to be right between these two lovebirds and I can't wait to see Monday's episode. I wish the Katherine storyline would pick up some speed and wrap up as this is beginning to drag out just as long as the quadrangle storyline did. I also hope that the custody battle for the baby does not drag out either. I want the viewers to continue to be interested in all these storylines and sometimes when the continue to drag on and on, one can lose interest at times so lets hope the writers can end some of these storylines before starting anew. I think the Neil/Karen/Tyra storyline is getting interesting and I can't wait to see Karen and Tyra confrone one another. I hope that Amber and Daniel can work through this rough spot that they are going through. I would hate to see anything happen to them as a couple after everything they went through last year. Theirs was a wonderful love story and I would like to see it last a little bit longer before they endure more turmoil. Hope next week is just as good and Thank-you again Candace. I look forward to Friday's just to read your weekly blogs!!

Posted by redhead61 at Friday, February 27 2009 12:12 PM

I liked your summarization and agree I'm anxious to see what happens next week.
    I thought Gloria's heart felt 'confession' to Michael and then Michaels response to her in the jail the other day was awesome...very emotional. THen today, when Gloria came out with all her pizzaz..well..glad to see her back in the swing of things...cant wait to see what happens next.
    Jeffrey and Jill were disgusting to me..and both seemed desperate in a way...not anything 'real' and long lasting...they both deserve each other..
    Now, Karen...Today she was everything she should have been weeks ago..She laid down the law...and Neil deserved to hear that and more...We'll see where that leads..But I really DO not like Neil acting so out of character to lie,be dishonest and allow himself to be sucked in to Tyra's drama. He has shown in the past to be very much about honor and expects his own children to behave as honorable people..so it will be intersting to see how they respond to the news that Tyra and their father have acted questionably.
    Sharons behavior this week..going off the deep end...sort of was cryptic to me...its always strange when the writers add stuff to a long term characters behavior that was never known before that was suposed to have happened in the past...
    Ashley and Victor...I have hated the rumors I am hearing about where thats going...these are two people who just dont belong together and dont really mesh up. I'll be glad to see that end. But let me add, I'd be happy to see Nikki happy and actually NOT end up back with Victor.
    Some of the women laid down the law this week and I guess thats what I liked the best...for the women on the show to show their strong suits and backbone and stop letting the men run all over them.

Posted by LisaJ at Friday, February 27 2009 12:42 PM

If there's no right or wrong viewpoint how come mine got deleted? LOL

Posted by ymeikle at Friday, February 27 2009 01:10 PM

Hi I agree 100 % also with Candace, but lets not forget right before Chloe had the baby Cane was rushing up to the cabin to get his girl (Lily). So the proposal falls right into play.
    Alot of people keep bashing Cane but how would you feel if someone kind of forced you into a situation that made you lose everything you loved for something/one that was a lie from the beginning and what I don't get is why isn't anyone other than Cane and Lily bashing Chloe. Jill, Esther, I mean come on

Posted by gotcha at Friday, February 27 2009 01:16 PM

As always Candace you are right on point. I agree with you 100%. The Neil/Karen/Tyra situation does not surprise me. Neil always acts like Mr. Perfect, but he is not. Remember Carmen Mesta, and how he was involved with her while still married to Dru. I like the way Karen stood up to him today, and also I liked the way Cane did also. He is always trying to run Lily's life. It is up to Lily what she wants to do. He needs to make amends with his wife and mean it.

Posted by ymeikle at Friday, February 27 2009 01:28 PM

Hi Lisa
    So you are saying that it was ok for Chloe to lie about sleeping with Cane when she didn't and then telling him it was his baby when it wasn't. Didnt say he was forced, but some people have honor, even Billy stepped up to the plate when he found out it was his. Does that make him weak also? Cane might be soft, but he isnt now and he and Lily was lied to from the beginning so if you are saying what Chloe did was cool well I dont know.

MORE COMMENTS: 1 2 3 » »| page: