The Young and the Restless - NEWS ROOM

In our 'The Young and the Restless' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

The Young And The Restless Weekly Blog.

Friday, April 19 2013

Back off! (CBS)
    Restless Rant
    Week of April 15 – 19:

It was a pretty solid week on "Y&R," with Thursday and Friday being especially busy and entertaining. It was notable how much airtime non-core characters such as Chelsea, Avery, Dylan, and the Rogans were getting. Here are some thoughts:

We can't go back.
    They did a good job this week of intensifying the interaction between Dylan and Avery. Definitely has the makings of a true love story if they find their way back. Meanwhile, Nick’s behavior only made the idea of an Avery/Dylan re-do more appealing. First he compared love to a sporting competition, and then he confronted Dylan, inadvertently drawing out his sexy, edgier side by causing him to holler, "Back off!" Rawr. Must-mention scenes - Avery's babysitting fiasco with 'bitter' Faith. Hysterical!

Light her fire.
    Speaking of Phyllis, she’s still on her grand *yawn* adventure with Jack, drinking coffee and yucking it up with the hotel staff. Worse, she has agreed to shack up at the Abbott mansion when they return, so she'll be wearing turtlenecks and slacks, and sipping orange juice at the breakfast table every morning. This 'banishment to boring' must be punishment for sleeping around with Ronan and trying to squash Cricket. Here’s hoping that hearing about Nick and Avery’s impending nuptials lights a fire under her.

Baby daddy drama.
    Thank goodness Chelsea snapped at Chloe this week – so tired of the non-stop chirping about the pregnancy/baby daddy/Adam stuff. It’s also irritating because Chloe had moved on from doing that kind of crap until she inexplicably regressed. As for Chelsea, we can assume she’s going to go ahead and dupe Dylan, who’s been nothing but amazing to her - can't help but feel bad for the guy. On a side note, had to laugh at the way Sharon found out about Chelsea’s pregnancy. Who carries around a gigantic bottle of pre-natal vitamins? Does she not have a cabinet to keep them in? Gah.

Nurse Frosty Fingers.
    Sharon dreaming about Adam and feeling up his shoulders makes for good teasing tension. It's a little strange how they've gone back and forth about each other though. It was curious that they showed Sharon taking her medication on Friday’s episode – wondered if it was foreshadowing... As for Adam still wanting Chelsea – they can write it until the cows come home, but their chemistry’s just not as strong as the storyline requires. I’d rather watch Adam read a report with Sharon, spar with Phyllis, even bicker with Victoria, than interact with Chelsea. That said, the scene with Adam confronting Chelsea and Dylan at Crimson Lights after Sharon told him she was pregnant certainly grabbed the attention. Yike!

Lalalala Lola... (CBS)
    It isn't about much.
    Chloe and Kevin’s marriage imploding? Can’t happen fast enough. Thank you sexy detective Alex for helping to hurry along the process. Chloe and Alex anyone? Vote in Soaps.com's Y&R Chloe’s Next Move poll.

The Rogans.
    While it’s safe to say we care about Leslie by now, Gus is another story. Is anyone else having trouble getting into these scenes? As for Tyler, he invited business groupie, Lola, around to work, which provoked a reaction from Lily that was probably supposed to indicate she was a bit jealous, but frankly was tough to read. Thoughts?

You can bet on it!
    It was crazy that Billy gambled this week, but winning On The Boulevard was totally unexpected – and perfect. Best line of the week, by far, was Adam telling Billy he now had to go home and explain to Victoria how he went out for a beer and came home with a restaurant. Billy and Adam both knew what a fix he was in, which made it hilarious. So Billy’s lying to Victoria about the restaurant, and she also may be lying – to herself – about what’s driving her return to Newman. Interesting twists!

You'd be surprised...
    Carmine was taunting Michael pretty good at the restaurant, which seemed harsh, but he believes Michael mistreated his family, and he also sees him as competition, so his attitude kind of made sense. Later, at the apartment, did Michael hear Carmine and Lauren talking in the apartment, or hide and see Carmine leave? Inquiring minds want to know! Also, what’s up with Fen? It seems whenever we see that kid he’s finding a reason to go slamming out the door. Jeeze. There's no telling if Carmine has an angle yet, but it's safe to say things are going to get worse for Lauren and Michael before they get better.

Party talk.
    Katherine’s brief exchange with Nikki at her birthday party was weird to the extreme. To think these two haven’t had any contact over their health issues and Nikki remarrying Victor is just unbelievable. Read our Jeanne Cooper Health Crisis Update.

Let us know what you thought of "Y&R" this week by posting below.

Read Soaps.com's Top Ten Soap Opera Father/Son Duos and then weigh in with your faves.

Join us on Twitter @soapoperafan and Facebook. Come tweet and Facebook with us about "The Young and the Restless," all the other soap operas, "Dallas," "Glee," "Grey’s Anatomy," "Pretty Little Liars," "Revenge," "Vampire Diaries," and "Venice The Series."

- Candace Young

Posted by beachbum14 at Friday, April 19 2013 11:23 AM

I have watched my beloved Y&R since it began! However, I am fast-forwarding about half the show now. TYLER was the poorest decision the casting director/writers EVER made on the show! He was supposed to be eye candy...he is NOT. He is a MODEL...so send him back to the runway, PLEASE!!!!! The majority of fans I see post on EVERY website agree with me, so what's the holdup Y&R??!!!! We're sick & tired of missing valuable time that could be spent on real actors on the show. Cane & Lily had just reconnected after her illness & the drama....so what the heck??!! If he's not gone soon - I'm gonna quit wasting my time. Unbelievable that some great actors have been let go & Tyler is STILL wasting airtime!!! AFA Kevin & Chloe?! The storyline w/Kevin is ridiculous! Chloe would be a good fit w/Alex.

Posted by delana15 at Friday, April 19 2013 11:36 AM

I know I am in the minority when I say this but I like Phyllis with Jack. She is more likeable when she is with him. He knows who she is and what she has done, and he doesn't judge her for it. Unfortunately for him the thing he ask her to do it be faithful, and we all know that is not a strong point for her, or anyone on the show for that matter. I think their relationship is realistic, because many good couples are opposites, and considered boring, but somehow they work.

Posted by Williams Family at Friday, April 19 2013 11:51 AM

No Paul this week. When will he at last get his own story? Doug Davidson is a very talented actor. Please writers, write for Paul (and Chris).

Posted by luvroflife at Friday, April 19 2013 12:34 PM

Great Rant!
    So sad that writers feel that destruction of characters and couples are the only way to go. Such lazy and insulting writing!!

The newbies have no foundation yet are being forced into s/ls and as long as 'a shirt comes off' all is OK. How shallow!!

Can't watch this trainwreck any longer......

Posted by starchild at Friday, April 19 2013 03:04 PM

I totally agree with you about Tyler !!!He is disgusting. The quicker he goes the better. Victoria is another one that I can't stand. After she sued Victor and got Nick and Abbey to go along with her and now she wants to be the good daughter,give me a break!!! She needs to go do her IVF and have a baby,but she can't stand the thought of daddy and Adam working together I hope Adam throughs her out on her butt!!! I wonder if Jeanne Cooper will ever make it back? I will be surprised but I am glad she is doing better ,the show won't be the same without her.

Posted by ShiningStar82 at Friday, April 19 2013 03:59 PM

I have really liked the Phyllis/Jack pairing in the past but even I find this stuff with them on vacation beyond boring.

Candace I have been with you from day one on this Kevin/Chloe drivel. I am really hoping this is the beginning of the end for them.

As far as Chelsea and Adam...I don't know if I agree that they don't have as much chemistry, it's just different than the sickly obsession Sharon and Adam have with each other. And speaking of Sharon...she is coming off just as desperate and manipulative as ever, what right did she have to tell Chelsea that she (Chelsea) was done with Adam? And her calling after Adam as he ran out the door to confront Chelsea that it was over...ugh, it just reeks of desperation to keep a strong hold on Adam.

Posted by Candace_Soaps.com at Friday, April 19 2013 06:15 PM

Thanks for stopping in to comment! Love reading every point of view.

Posted by 2tgtbt at Friday, April 19 2013 06:44 PM

Nick and Victoria are spoiled brats that think they are entitled. If
    Avery is all that doubtful about marrying rediculos then she best back
    off. I sure would like to see Dillon knock the crap out of the sex fiend
    nick. Nick is a butt, him and Avery have no chemistry.

Faith acts just like her hateful mama, braty!!!

Jack and phyllis are snoozville. They need to bring in Jack a new
    Strong business woman that will be good for him.

Chloe needs to get away from the chipmunk has been and get a life.
    She was doing good when she was doing fashion at restless style.
    After she got with the whiney Kevin she started back into her
    Old whiney do something bad to whoever comes in her path.
    she needs to get rid of her grumpy baggage kevin and re envent
    her strong business side. She is floundering and trying to drag Chelsea
    With her.

When looney bleached blonde sharesabed said to Chelsea to forget Adam and leave him alone, she should have got up out of her chair
    And japp slapped the ugly witch.

Lilly is sooo stupid. With a hunk like Cane that would give her the
    moon, why would she want that old ugly tailed want a be user skankyfied tyler?

Crybaby whine box two faced sicktoria is such a spoiled butt head.
    Iwish billy blue would leave her for good. He needs somebody better then her.
    I hope Adam gives her smirking miss entitled spoiled brat self a run for
    her money i hope he out smarts her in every detail in that company.

Since Adam quit being evil like he was and has made changes I like
    him better. Except I just wish he would get rid of his blonde bimbo
    want to be baggage. She is toxic to Adam.

I wish that tptb would have made Chelsea and Adam the next great
    Super couple instead of not giving her a great storybline she was good
    for Adam because, she was always pushing him to be abetter person
    To be his own man and be strong.

I hope Adam has it fixed that tmgm victor can't over turn him at NE.
    but victor and vicky jr. Will try to over throw him and stupid Jack will help
    them.

I have been on a rantpage !

Posted by distant drifter at Friday, April 19 2013 09:46 PM

My favorite was Dylan telling Nick to back off. I donot want him to be a wuss for anyone. I want him to come into his own. There is something about Dylan that makes me want to defend him aside from the fact that he is a living doll. I hope they let him build up the company his father left him. This character has lots of potential. I love him. I loved him in the blue today. I love Adam. The huckleberry line was on the money. This is a well-defined actor. Not to mention very good to look at with those marvelous features and blue eyes. He and Dylan's eyes are deadly. You could actually drown in them. I loved the gambling scene. It made things come into a realistic view so to speak. I am so tired of the humdrum. I think these new writers are finally getting down to brass tacks. I think we have some really good scenes coming up from all of the actors on the show. Chelsea is one hell of an actress. I love it when she tells it like it is. She was made for Adam. She does not let anyone push her around or tell her what to do. I don't know what the deal is with the baby-daddy thing, but it needs to stop. Snoozefest..............Let's keep it real somewhat. I know it is only a soap but copy-cat storylines should be a thing of the past. Let's get some fresh ideas going and set the soap on fire with hot, steamy storylines coming at us left and right. Give us more cliffhanger Fridays. Keep us on the edge of our seat begging for more. I love the Dylan and Avery storyline. It is clear that these two are in love and just donot know how to deal with it considering how the romance began. Avery is a beautiful actress and she needs to showcase more of her talents on the show. I thought they would do more with her as a top notch defense attorney. They need to give her a case that goes down in soap history. I also love the detective that Paul has on his team. They need to make him somewhat like Columbo. I see a lot of potential there as well. There is a lot of amazing talent on Y&R now and none of it should go to waste. I even like Gus. I loved him as Candy Man. The character nailed it today. Leslie and Avery need to team up and crack a case in the future that will shake things up in Genoa City. I do think they are going too far with the Kevin/Chloe thing. They're not compatible. No chemistry whatsoever. Lauren has lost her mind. What the What? There are no words. I can understand where she is coming from though. Carmine is full of himself. Now if he just happens to get himself killed...........there's the case for Avery, Leslie and the bumbling handsome detective to solve. Let's not forget about Paul. I love that Paul belongs somewhere now besides being a detective that never really produced reliable information when assigned a case. Now if they would only give Sharon something useful to do with her life. I want Paul to fall in love again but unfortunately not with Cricket. I cannot wait to see how the Dylan storyline plays out. It's up to the writers to make him or break him. I will stop watching once and for all if they break him. I loved it when I saw him in the opening credits. They can do a PTSD storyline for him. Please donot let him play Chelsea's fool thinking he has a baby. It is bad enough that Avery is trying to hold onto him and Nick at at the same time. Y&R, you have a gold mine in this actor.....USE IT..............

Posted by mswoman at Saturday, April 20 2013 11:48 AM

C'mon, we all know that Adam would not just take Chelsea's word about the baby; he would insist on a paternity test. I wish that Victoria would have to take fertility pills, and then have about four more babies, and be forced to take care of them by herself. She is never the one who takes care of her children, Billy is. Animals take better care of their babies than Victoria does. Instead of gambling, I wish that Billy would slap the crap out of Victoria, and tell her what a spoiled, narcissistic brat she is. Nick is so comical with the way he acts when he's mad at someone (like Adam, Wheeler, and now Dylan). He does a lot of huffing and puffing like he's a really bad dude, but all he ever does is blow hot air.