The Young and the Restless - NEWS ROOM

In our 'The Young and the Restless' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

The Young And The Restless's Jeanne Cooper Temporarily Replaced By...

Thursday, November 10 2011

Michael (PJ Stratton/Wenn.com)
    Medical leave.

Updated November 10:

Jeanne Cooper will first be seen back in Genoa City as Katherine on December 23.

Updated November 9:

Jeanne Cooper will be heading back to "Y&R" to begin taping scenes next week. She posted on her fan club's Facebook page, "Hello there, I am back. As most of you know I have been under the weather for quite some time now. But the good news is that I will be going back to work next week. Boy I did get hit hard with a nasty bug! Thank you all for your well wishes. They mean so very much to me."

Updated October 25:

A spokesperson at "Y&R" assured Soaps.com that although Jeanne Cooper had to take time off for medical reasons, she is fine now, and expected to return to taping as Katherine Chancellor in November. Head Writer/Executive Producer Maria Arena Bell stated, "Michael Learned is an accomplished actress and we are grateful that she is able to fill in for Jeanne Cooper for this short time. Jeanne is an integral part of our show and we look forward to her imminent return. We have great storyline coming up for Mrs. Chancellor."

Original article October 24:

According to Entertainment Weekly, actress Jeanne Cooper is taking a short medical leave of absence from "The Young and the Restless," and Emmy Award winning actress, Michael Learned, will be filling in temporarily in the role of Katherine Chancellor. Michael, who will be seen onscreen beginning November 10, has done previous Daytime stints on "General Hospital," "All My Children," and "One Life To Live." She is best known for her role as Olivia Walton on "The Waltons," and has also appeared on many television series, including "Gunsmoke," "Who's The Boss," and "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit."

Read about a new contract role on "Y&R" through The Young And The Restless Hires All My Children’s Melissa Claire Egan. Join us on Twitter @soapoperafan and Facebook. Come tweet and Facebook with us about "The Young and the Restless," all the other soap operas, "Dirty Soap," "Glee" "Grey's Anatomy," "Vampire Diaries," and "Venice the Series!"

- Candace Young

Posted by ~Alexandria~ at Monday, October 24 2011 05:51 AM

I'm sure she is a fine Actress but Katherine is not to be recast after 38 years in a role, hope it is temporary but either way they could have waited for her to come back and if she could not, they should not recast especially with somebody who is not even close to Katherine's age and her appearance for 38 years on the show.

Posted by Paulajsmom at Monday, October 24 2011 10:31 AM

I don't know how you get she's not close to her age she's only 10 years younger and a fine actress. I don't think she's being recast the article stated a medical leave that usually means not permanent. I think this is a good temporary substitution for this important character, especially at this time in the storyline.

Posted by trish5445 at Monday, October 24 2011 10:41 AM

I'm sending my Prayers to Mrs Cooper,I and hope that whatever she is going thru she comes out on top.. PLEASE don't let her leave the show,she is the Base rock, if she isn't their it just won't be the same. I truly LOVE this soap I've been watching for years. Keep up the Great work!!!

Posted by RobAstor at Monday, October 24 2011 11:04 AM

I'm sure Jeanne will be back in action soon! This isn't the first time a stand-in for Katherine was needed. In 1986, while Jeanne was facing her own battle with alcohol, singer Gisele Mackenzie played the part for six episodes. I've read Jeanne should be back to taping come November.

Posted by leprecaun28 at Monday, October 24 2011 03:07 PM

Welcome to Michael and I do hope that Jeanne will get well soon. She IS Y&R.....

Posted by candeeh33 at Tuesday, October 25 2011 08:45 AM

My thought and prayers are with you Ms Cooper....hope to see you back in action really soon but not before you are ready....Welcome to the show Michael...good luck.

Posted by JPA1 at Tuesday, October 25 2011 10:51 AM

That's a cool temporary recast! In the mid 1970s, Beverly Garland also filled in as Mrs. Chancellor when Jeanne Cooper was on medical leave for a few days. So this might be the 3rd time that someone has stepped in: Beverly Garland (mid '70s), Giselle McKenzie (mid 80s) and now, Michael Learned.

Posted by FL senior fan at Tuesday, October 25 2011 01:53 PM

Jeanine needs to do what's best for HERSELF AND HER HEALTH;
    We love her and what a fantastic job she does on Y&R...but, ya know, it just might be time to retire and smell the coffee.
    I hope she has a speedy recovery!

Posted by Steelersgirl at Wednesday, October 26 2011 10:24 AM

I agree, Jeanne Cooper is Y & R! I've watched this show since it started and when Jeanne decides it's time to retire, they need to retire the character, too. The temps are great to keep the story going - I love Michael Learned and have since she was Olivia Walton - but I can't see someone else coming in permanently to take her place.

Posted by Straw at Thursday, October 27 2011 10:22 AM

I wish Ms Cooper the best of a very complete and speedy recovery. I've also watch Y&R since it first aired. My opinion is that no one can really take her place. Should she retire, it will be her "space", not her "place" that will be filled, not taken. She has a way of playing the "Duchess" like nobody else. Her mannerisms, the way she wears her jewelry and other accessories, her voice, and everything about her has never been able to be adequately duplicated.

MORE COMMENTS: 1 2 3 » »| page: