The Young and the Restless - NEWS ROOM

In our 'The Young and the Restless' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

The Young And The Restless Weekly Blog!

Friday, August 05 2011

Eerie. (Soaps.com)
    Restless Rant
    Week of August 1 – 5:

Despite my continued disenchantment with all the negativity in Genoa City storylines, the murder mystery had my attention - loved the way they had Diane's ghost sitting in her old suite with the flowers and photos - nice! Here's an overview of the week:

My Alibi.
    Diane’s murder was set up in classic soap-style, and it’s been interesting watching the suspects scramble and the clues come to light. Great job making Diane look really most sincerely dead too - poor Murphy! Ew! If there’s a downside, it’s that many are weary of the typical soap mystery where all the main characters are paraded out as suspects when we know perfectly well it will turn out to be some other random person who actually committed the crime. In this case, most of the whodunit speculation surrounds Patty Williams as the culprit. Why? Adam telling someone on the phone to lay low (he’s the one who let Patty go), someone watching Diane attempt to seduce Jack through his window (motive), the nutty needlepoint pillows, and perhaps most telling, Paul Williams being put on the case. One thing I found strange – if Diane texted everyone to meet her at the bridge at the same time, why did they all end up there confronting her alone? No one saw each other or crossed paths other than Victoria seeing Victor? Maybe there’s more to be revealed.

As for the scrambling suspects, obviously they’re all trying to cover for the fact that they were at the park – most of them even assaulted Diane – of course their alibi lies will all be revealed and make them look guilty as sin before all is said and done. There should be some neat twists to the story if they don’t drag it out too long. It’s great to see Paul and Ronan back on canvas too – even if Ronan needs an attitude adjustment.

Saving Kyle.
    Jack’s frantic search for Kyle was so realistic – well done. I can’t wait until he finds out that Diane signed over custody of his son to none other than Victor!

Welcome back! (Soaps.com)
    Support me.
    Victoria and Billy have awesome couple chemistry, but the marriage has been nothing but one supporting the other through some sort of crisis or another – it’s getting old – and at this point, they’re both basically wallowing in this ‘poor me’ vibe. Meh.

It’s Chance.
    Yeeps, we haven’t seen Nina for eons, and the first time we do she’s upset about one of her sons again, and soon to be upset about the other as well. Poor woman! Poor us – such negativity!

Mentally incompetent.
    As I said last week, I can understand Katherine taking the hard line in business, but this whole thing with challenging Tucker and Ashley’s marriage seems like an over-reaction. She says she doesn’t trust Ashley with Tucker’s well-being because she ran him down, yet she’s figured out that Abby was actually the driver. I’m wondering if she’s doing this to try to force this issue. Regardless, she’s back to treating John Abbott’s kin like dirt, not to mention her own son. I’m sure Katherine’s thinking will prove to have validity, or she’ll make things right, but at this point her actions seem over the top – even Murphy didn’t like the idea. What do you think of Katherine challenging Tucker’s marriage? Let us know by voting in Soaps.com’s The Young And The Restless Snap Poll: What's In A Marriage?

Sharon’s savior?
    Will Avery Bailey Clark be the one who springs Sharon from the slammer? I’m not so sure. She thinks she can play Adam, but he’s already one up on her. I also have to wonder where she came from so out-of-the blue, or if there’s any significance to her sharing a last name from someone from Sharon’s past – Matt Clark, who raped her. In any case, I’m intrigued. As for Sharon, she seems to be socializing with Sam all day long up at the state pen – so much for the horrid conditions she wouldn’t be able to bear!

Check out the Soap Opera Fan Blog The Young and the Restless Weekly Summaries, and vote on our The Young and the Restless Polls. Join us on Twitter @soapoperafan and Facebook. Come tweet and Facebook with us about "The Young and the Restless," all the other soap operas, "Glee" "Grey's Anatomy," and "Vampire Diaries!"

- Candace Young

Posted by Williams Family at Friday, August 05 2011 10:52 AM

I enjoy watching Paul and Ronan this week. Let's hope writers will end up writing for them.

Posted by Morgen1967 at Friday, August 05 2011 11:22 AM

Sharon in the state penn is my biggest pet peeve of the week. She's a convicted murderer, and visitors can just waltz on in to the common room for visitation?
    Am I the only one who was pissed at Billy for taking off without a word after sofa sex?
    As for the whodunit, I hope it's not Patty or Nikki. Wouldn't it be a good 'twist' if one of the suspects is actually the murderer?
    Yet don't forget there is a history on this show of a group of characters getting together to enact their own version of justice (remember Adam's kangaroo court) - so anyone else think that with multiple suspects and multiple bashes on the head, could they be setting up a Murder On The Orient Express where there are multiple killers?

Posted by dramaqueen333 at Friday, August 05 2011 11:24 AM

Hey Candace, I don't watch anymore, just read occasionally. I agree with you about everything you wrote. And the whole thing about Diane signing over custody to Victor is idiotic because she's dead now so it doesn't matter what she did. Jack is his biological and legal father, and the only parent he has left. But of course, this is a soap opera, so Kyle will probably end up living with Phyllis while his perfectly capable father sits alone in his big house.

Posted by Candace_Soaps.com at Friday, August 05 2011 11:26 AM

Hehe@living with Phyllis...

I wasn't pissed at Billy for leaving - it's more of the 'poor me' stuff - they're both being self-centered wallowers. I don't care enough to be angry.

Posted by Dexdon at Friday, August 05 2011 12:30 PM

Excellent rant this week. Totally agree on all points. Do you think someone can tell Sam to look at people in the eye when he talks...this downward stare thing is getting pathetic.

Posted by Dexdon at Friday, August 05 2011 12:31 PM

Sharon and Sam in the pen? I dont think any of the writers have done any research...again....and you know what else? Who cares! They could fall of the face of the earth for all I care.

Posted by Chicky2 at Friday, August 05 2011 12:35 PM

I haven't seen much but have read it. Adam wanted people to think she was dead so he could frame Victor. Is she dead? With the ghost thing I assume she is or they did a damn good job of pretending to kill her.
    I still think Nikki will somehow be involved as she happened to leave the rehab just around the time of all of this.? It would be good to have her back.
    Glad to see Paul and I love him but I don't think he could solve a crime if his life depended on it...LOL but at least he looks good doing it.
    Victoria and Billy need a wake up call and a smack. Grow UP!

Posted by Tinkerbellz22 at Friday, August 05 2011 03:33 PM

Glad tom see Ronan is back. Hope they don't bring back lame Heather in time to ruin the character again.

Oh yay another "whodunit" mystery. Too bad it will be another MAB fail. She just cant craft a decent mystery to save her life. But at least Paul get some screen time.

Billy just left without a fight. This is NOT the Billy I love, That is the Billy that has been Newmanized and ruined being paired with Victoria. You are correct in their "poor me" mentality. Victoria is a middle aged woman with multiple marriages under her belt and yet she acts like this is her first rodeo. Grow up!

Posted by Insomniac at Friday, August 05 2011 05:06 PM

I liked the way Diane revisited all the meetings in the park. Very strange they didn't run into each other, only Victoria saw Victor, but what did she see? Why did someone put the key in her mouth? It was so rotten of Billy to walk out without so much as a goodbye. Guess he's leaving the country, sure hope he comes back. I'd like to see Gloria,the old Jeffrey & Niki again soon. Ronan & Abby would make a good couple don't you think?

Posted by Insomniac at Friday, August 05 2011 05:08 PM

I'll miss Diane. Too bad they had to kill her off.