Quote Ken in GA: Hey guys. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not the only person that watches Y&R that finds it incredibly boring!!!! The storylines are contrived and seem to lead nowhere, the character development is shoddy for the new characters, and the veterans seem "restless" with their storylines.
Let me be clear, I have always been a fan of Y&R, but lately, it's just difficult to watch. Anyone else agree with me?
In my opinion, they need to get rid of some of these storylines and get back to what made Y&R great! For instance, I could care less about the following:
- Dylan being Nikki and Paul's son. This storyline, along with Ian suing Nikki (stupid storyline), needs to vanish. I like Steve Burton but this is a total waste of his talent.
- Neil and Hillary ..... snooze. Get rid of Devon, make Hillary the evil assistant to Jack at Jabot, and write a decent storyline for Neil.
- The character of Jill is being wasted with the Colin connection. Get rid of the character of Colin, and mold Jill into the new Katherine Chancellor of Genoa City. Make her a force to be reckoned with in the business world ... at Chancellor Industries.
- Summer and her new man .... ughh! He's hot, but he should have been introduced as a gay character ... it would have been more believable. The chemistry between these two characters is not there.
- Remove the character of Kelly from Genoa City. The actress is great, but the character is horrible. Poorly written and makes no sense in the scheme of things.
Here's what I would capitalize on to make Y&R great again:
- With Eileen Davidson returning, make Ashley Abbott more business centered and have her and Jack butt heads at Jabot. Both fighting for power. Make it an internal family struggle. That could be interesting.
- Kevin and Harding have a fantastic chemistry. They should be paired up with Kevin realizing he's gay and interested in Harding. This would be Y&R's time to introduce a gay character.
- The Phyllis coma has gone on too long. Have Phyllis come out of the coma and reunite with Jack. I want her to remember what Sharon did to her and make it her mission to get back at Sharon ... in pure Phyllis fashion .. underhanded.
- Nikki is good when she's hitting the bottle so that could be a good storyline IF written properly. Currently, I'm kind of worried where they will take this.
- Finally, bring back Michael Muhney to play Adam Newman!!!! HE WAS FANTASTIC IN THIS ROLE!!!!!
These are just some of my thoughts. I would really love to hear some of your ideas. Let me know what you think.
I like a lot of your thoughts, but I disagree with the Kevin bit. He should have been written off a long time ago. The show is not only boring, it is stupid. Too many years that this has been the case. The show was renewed until 2017. It was lucky to get that. We will see. I am not watching and have not really been watching for years now. It is going to canceled sooner than later, if they do not fix things. Like yesterday. It is not going to happen, but one can wish.