List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: What would make Y&R great again?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What would make Y&R great again?

Started by Embrace at 2014/05/03 07:55PM
    Latest post: 2014/07/14 11:53AM, Views: 11507, Replies: 163
    « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 » »| page:
    #71   2014/05/11 02:15AM
    Re: What would make Y&R great again?
    scranton

Quote pink kiity: What will make young and restless great again start by getting rid of the soap killers that would be a good start.

That is the best start. Getting rid of phelps and her horrible writers is a good start.

#72   2014/05/11 10:30AM
    ladycam

Quote Embrace:
    Quote Jackie10:
    Quote Embrace:
    Quote DeevaCulver: Hurry up and bring back Adam and Phyllis even recasts I dont care any more those characters gave the show BITE and I MISS that. I wouldn't have minded seeing Neil fall off the wagon again. They toyed with that idea for all of 10 seconds when Hilary spiked his OJ and he was in the park remembering "that taste" I was ready to see where they would go from there,but it was over before it began.

There was definitely something different and complex about Adam's and Phyllis's character that we are missing with other characters! They gave us that complexity and non-dullness that we need in a soap. We need Adam and Phyllis again!

The writers ruined Phyllis and Adam. They put her in coma for 8 months because they didnt know what to do with her. They put Adam in a walking coma whining for a baby. Unless they bring back the dynamic Adam and Phyllis there is no use for them on the soap. We have enough boring characters on the soap.

You both are right. When it comes down to it, I don't think the writers know how to write for complex characters like Phyllis and Adam. And that's sad because these are characters that writers are supposed to have so much fun with. I wish I could write for them. Stop dulling every character down. Ugh!

Let me cosign this particular part of the post. MAB had her flaws but these character Phyllis,Victor,Adam,Jack,Billy was at their best with her she knew how to write for these kind of characters and make them interesting. That's part of the reason Adam and Phyllis return does nothing for me. Adam was sitting on the couch in his PH with Chelsea all the time. We have Lane for that kind of stuff and Phyllis spend all her time wrap with Summer's drama. That was the best they could do with MS talents.

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2014/05/11 10:33AM
    #73   2014/05/11 02:22PM
    myfavs100

I am convinced that MAB intended for Sharon to die in the fire. The Victor / Sharon s/l was one of the reasons she was terminated.

I was happy MAB was gone, but JFP is worse.

#74   2014/05/14 08:44AM
    Taralo

It's not possible to make soaps great using a dated formula. Primetime soaps are much better because they are more realistic and don't treat us like complete morons.

#75   2014/05/16 10:48PM
    Embrace

Quote myfavs100: I am convinced that MAB intended for Sharon to die in the fire. The Victor / Sharon s/l was one of the reasons she was terminated.

I was happy MAB was gone, but JFP is worse.

In don't think that was MAB intentions. I think she just liked entertaining, different story lines. I think JFP is much worse! The most boring ever!

#76   2014/05/17 12:57AM
    lynj

I think they have lost their vision, because I remember in times past yes this was a soap, but it was seen as good quality for the genre, progressive, with good actors.

Now it seems difficult to tell the difference between Y&R and the other soaps. If anything it's lagging behind other daytime shows in any 'awareness' storylines. They used to lead the way in this area - not anymore.

It doesn't help the the cast appear to have factions and be divided against each other - that spells disaster for any production.

Maybe it's because the Bells are no longer as personally involved, as they were for decades. The current people in control don't have as much of a personal investment.

It's just a new era in soaps and if Y&R stays stuck in current pattern, its time at the top will be limited, it will be overtaken by soaps with more relevant actors and storylines.

I was actually a veteran viewer of about 20 years, I love the people who have been on this show for a long time, but I am frustrated at seeing the show stuck in the same formula as twenty years ago, there's hardly any difference. Nick and Sharon again... seen before, and their characters haven't matured much.

When Michael Muhney was on the show, I thought this guaranteed viewership for another generation. I am in my early forties and hoped I could look forward to watching this show into my later years as other viewers have. But there seem no new strong characters to carry it forward.

I have had to accept the situation and look to other soaps such as GH who are gaining more viewers in my age group and ex actors from soaps who have become too staid. I still believe in daytime as a relevant genre, but they have to adapt.

#77   2014/05/17 02:56AM
    Puggly

Quote Embrace:
    Quote Provo: I would fire Phelps and her crew of lackys.

Oh how I wish you could...

The only answer is firing Phelps and her band of monkeys.

#78   2014/05/17 03:27AM
    Puggly

Quote Taralo: It's not possible to make soaps great using a dated formula. Primetime soaps are much better because they are more realistic and don't treat us like complete morons.

You are right!

#79   2014/05/17 03:52AM
    Puggly

Quote lynj: I think they have lost their vision, because I remember in times past yes this was a soap, but it was seen as good quality for the genre, progressive, with good actors.

Now it seems difficult to tell the difference between Y&R and the other soaps. If anything it's lagging behind other daytime shows in any 'awareness' storylines. They used to lead the way in this area - not anymore.

It doesn't help the the cast appear to have factions and be divided against each other - that spells disaster for any production.

Maybe it's because the Bells are no longer as personally involved, as they were for decades. The current people in control don't have as much of a personal investment.

It's just a new era in soaps and if Y&R stays stuck in current pattern, its time at the top will be limited, it will be overtaken by soaps with more relevant actors and storylines.

I was actually a veteran viewer of about 20 years, I love the people who have been on this show for a long time, but I am frustrated at seeing the show stuck in the same formula as twenty years ago, there's hardly any difference. Nick and Sharon again... seen before, and their characters haven't matured much.

When Michael Muhney was on the show, I thought this guaranteed viewership for another generation. I am in my early forties and hoped I could look forward to watching this show into my later years as other viewers have. But there seem no new strong characters to carry it forward.

I have had to accept the situation and look to other soaps such as GH who are gaining more viewers in my age group and ex actors from soaps who have become too staid. I still believe in daytime as a relevant genre, but they have to adapt.

This post is absolutely perfect. Take a freaking bow.

#80   2014/05/17 04:05AM
    Supercouplev...

I agree JFP needs to go. Bring back the actors, that will and can come back. After watching just a little GH, I also realized the friendships are missing. Not the ones for plot points either, just friends because....

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list