List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: What would make Y&R great again?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What would make Y&R great again?

Started by Embrace at 2014/05/03 07:55PM
    Latest post: 2014/07/14 11:53AM, Views: 11234, Replies: 163
    « 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 » »| page:
    #131   2014/06/27 11:09AM
    Re: What would make Y&R great again?
    bklynlady

Bring back the old core characters and the regulars:

Drucilla, JT, Raul, Larry Wharton, John Silva

Get rid of these cheesy characters: Ian, Leslie and hubby, Courtney, Austin

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/06/27 11:11AM
    #132   2014/06/27 02:16PM
    Teri_ETC

I've been watching Y&R since the 70s. I was a young girl and would watch the stories with my mother when I was not in school. I specifically recall how the Victor Newman and stripper Nikki storyline captured my attention as did the Katheryn Chancellor and Jill Forrester storyline - who could ever forget Victor with the guy in the basement?

Later on, the Nick-Sharon; and Phyllis-Danny-Cricket s/l also became favs. The acting was so good back then that to this day I still see Phyllis as a skank and Villian after the way she treated Cricket and later Sharon. And I'm totally appalled at how Jill-Katheryn relationship was re-written. Jill came on as a companion to Mrs C back in her drinking dayz and the skank took advantage of her drunkenness and slept with her husband – even got preggo!

That part of the s/l was OK, but over the years the relationship migrated into something unbelievable and ridiculous. IMO, more realistically Jill should've always been “the other woman”, would've loved to see Mrs C stick it to skank Jill over the years, the way Victor does to Jack Abbott. Would've been great to see Chance develop more of a relationship with Mrs C and eventually become heir ; however, he is rarely around. And IMO. the Devon/Tucker has been a flap flop. And the Cane s/l is even more unbelievable.

I wish that the writers would stay tru to the original characters personalities and show them growing in character over time as they face life situations – give us a “calgon moment” to watch our favorite soaps live and do what some of us would only dare to do – or if we did it, we certainly wouldn’t tell!

IMO, the soaps are supposed to be our daily escape from our own daily routines. But many of the s/l are not tru to the characters we have come to love over the years; many of the s/l do not allow the characters to show growth (i.e.: Nikki with Deacon;Nikki dang near senile and still packing her bags leaving Victor after he sat in jail for her – just plain stupid; Nikki forgot she had sex with Paul and gave him a STD and apparently a son; Lauren turning cougar and sleeping with Carmine). Please stop insulting our intelligence with these unbelievable s/l that do not reflect the characters we have come to love. And I am still totally disgusted with the incestuous pairing of Sharon with Victor. Eric Braeden lost a die hard fan because of that disgusting crap.

PLEASE DO:
    1. Have s/l that are reflective of the characters historical personalities and that allow them to act out scenarios that show character and growth over time. A little “stunted growth” , or “peter pan syndrome” , basic woman or psych B*tch is OK, but don’t let that be everyone’s basic personality.
    2. Show the consequences of behaviors, including life lessons. Many characters are rarely held accountable for their actions.
    3. Keep bringing back the characters we've come to love over the years: the Foresters; the Abbotts; the Newmans, and the Winters.
    4. Keep some stable families together and show them facing life challenges together -living, loving and forgiving, being there for each other and for others in their community.
    5. Show some respect to our Veterans and war heros – PLEASE DO NOT trash them.

PLEASE DO NOT
    1. PLEASE STOP DRAAAAAAAAAAAGING OUT THE STORYLINES FOR MON, THSYEARS AND DECADES……Please tell the story then move on to the next storyline. Next time you start a similar storyline, you can have another set of characters act out the s/l in a different way ( i.e.: given the same circumstance, people respond differently - “….If that was ME, I would have done XZY…” ).
    2. Don’t be afraid to wrap up a s/l involving one set of characters. There are many life stories to be told and many ways to tell them. Make the variation based on the characters personalities – or on occasion, some people may behave “out of character” to kind of mix things up a bit.
    3. I personally like how families are being expanded; however, I wish the s/l were more believable – many seem “half-baked” (i.e.: Nikki forgot she had sex with Paul and gave him a STD and apparently a son; Jack seems to have forgotten about his son Kemo; the Winters are all messed up and throwing Hillary in hasn’t helped). Families are expanded then the people disappear and more unbelievable things like “Faux Cassie” to “Cassie Twin” come along or everybody thinking Cane was Chance.
    4. I understand that certain characters are gonna sleep around and that’s standard soap – but please stop putting dang near family members into romantic scenes its very disgusting and NOT ENTERTAINING – please stop it!!!!! Neil-Hillary-Devon; Nick-Diane-Victor; and the other all-time disgusting pairing Victor- Sharon-Nick.
    Y&R

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/06/27 02:23PM
    #133   2014/06/27 02:39PM
    Teri_ETC

MORE STIKKI LOVE PLEASE!!!! Y&R

#134   2014/06/27 10:25PM
    Teri_ETC

Also, enjoy the scenes where we can see our favorite characters engaging in family traditions ( ie: Mrs C's pool parties, annual galas at the Colonade Rm...did Adam burn that down??? No rebuild? Was it replaced with Gloria's venue which also burned down ? Whatever happened to the restraint/bar Billy Boy won and sold???).

Does anyone's in Genoa City have family reunions? Y&R

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/06/27 10:26PM
    #135   2014/06/28 11:27AM
    Teri_ETC

Quote Teri_ETC: I've been watching Y&R since the 70s. I was a young girl and would watch the stories with my mother when I was not in school. I specifically recall how the Victor Newman and stripper Nikki storyline captured my attention as did the Katheryn Chancellor and Jill Forrester storyline - who could ever forget Victor with the guy in the basement?

Later on, the Nick-Sharon; and Phyllis-Danny-Cricket s/l also became favs. The acting was so good back then that to this day I still see Phyllis as a skank and Villian after the way she treated Cricket and later Sharon. And I'm totally appalled at how Jill-Katheryn relationship was re-written. Jill came on as a companion to Mrs C back in her drinking dayz and the skank took advantage of her drunkenness and slept with her husband – even got preggo!

That part of the s/l was OK, but over the years the relationship migrated into something unbelievable and ridiculous. IMO, more realistically Jill should've always been “the other woman”, would've loved to see Mrs C stick it to skank Jill over the years, the way Victor does to Jack Abbott. Would've been great to see Chance develop more of a relationship with Mrs C and eventually become heir ; however, he is rarely around. And IMO. the Devon/Tucker has been a flap flop. And the Cane s/l is even more unbelievable.

I wish that the writers would stay tru to the original characters personalities and show them growing in character over time as they face life situations – give us a “calgon moment” to watch our favorite soaps live and do what some of us would only dare to do – or if we did it, we certainly wouldn’t tell!

IMO, the soaps are supposed to be our daily escape from our own daily routines. But many of the s/l are not tru to the characters we have come to love over the years; many of the s/l do not allow the characters to show growth (i.e.: Nikki with Deacon;Nikki dang near senile and still packing her bags leaving Victor after he sat in jail for her – just plain stupid; Nikki forgot she had sex with Paul and gave him a STD and apparently a son; Lauren turning cougar and sleeping with Carmine). Please stop insulting our intelligence with these unbelievable s/l that do not reflect the characters we have come to love. And I am still totally disgusted with the incestuous pairing of Sharon with Victor. Eric Braeden lost a die hard fan because of that disgusting crap.

PLEASE DO:
    1. Have s/l that are reflective of the characters historical personalities and that allow them to act out scenarios that show character and growth over time. A little “stunted growth” , or “peter pan syndrome” , basic woman or psych B*tch is OK, but don’t let that be everyone’s basic personality.
    2. Show the consequences of behaviors, including life lessons. Many characters are rarely held accountable for their actions.
    3. Keep bringing back the characters we've come to love over the years: the Foresters; the Abbotts; the Newmans, and the Winters.
    4. Keep some stable families together and show them facing life challenges together -living, loving and forgiving, being there for each other and for others in their community.

PLEASE DO NOT
    1. PLEASE STOP DRAAAAAAAAAAAGING OUT THE STORYLINES FOR MON, THSYEARS AND DECADES……Please tell the story then move on to the next storyline. Next time you start a similar storyline, you can have another set of characters act out the s/l in a different way ( i.e.: given the same circumstance, people respond differently - “….If that was ME, I would have done XZY…” ).
    2. Don’t be afraid to wrap up a s/l involving one set of characters. There are many life stories to be told and many ways to tell them. Make the variation based on the characters personalities – or on occasion, some people may behave “out of character” to kind of mix things up a bit.
    3. I personally like how families are being expanded; however, I wish the s/l were more believable – many seem “half-baked” (i.e.: Nikki forgot she had sex with Paul and gave him a STD and apparently a son; Jack seems to have forgotten about his son Kemo; the Winters are all messed up and throwing Hillary in hasn’t helped). Families are expanded then the people disappear and more unbelievable things like “Faux Cassie” to “Cassie Twin” come along or everybody thinking Cane was Chance.
    4. I understand that certain characters are gonna sleep around and that’s standard soap – but please stop putting dang near family members into romantic scenes its very disgusting and NOT ENTERTAINING – please stop it!!!!! Neil-Hillary-Devon; Nick-Diane-Victor; and the other all-time disgusting pairing Victor- Sharon-Nick.
    Y&R

The "flashbacks" are always a nice touch. They enhance the present s/l and add connectivity to the character. For example, more flashback with character reflecting on past actions that were "sizzlers".

For Example:
    1. Have Nikki flashback on any one of her past killings before she confronts Ian Ward;
    2. Sharon can flashback on Nick shampooing her hair (or any other past steamy encounter that is not associated with incest) while regaining her memories or reflecting on how she's gonna piece her life back.
    3. Someone in GC get motivated to start a new Memorial Day tradition and recall some of the pool parties Mrs C threw over the years. You get my drift. Y&R

Modified 3 times(s), last time at: 2014/06/28 11:33AM
    #136   2014/06/28 01:54PM
    movinon

Quote lynj: I think they have lost their vision, because I remember in times past yes this was a soap, but it was seen as good quality for the genre, progressive, with good actors.

Now it seems difficult to tell the difference between Y&R and the other soaps. If anything it's lagging behind other daytime shows in any 'awareness' storylines. They used to lead the way in this area - not anymore.

It doesn't help the the cast appear to have factions and be divided against each other - that spells disaster for any production.

Maybe it's because the Bells are no longer as personally involved, as they were for decades. The current people in control don't have as much of a personal investment.

It's just a new era in soaps and if Y&R stays stuck in current pattern, its time at the top will be limited, it will be overtaken by soaps with more relevant actors and storylines.

I was actually a veteran viewer of about 20 years, I love the people who have been on this show for a long time, but I am frustrated at seeing the show stuck in the same formula as twenty years ago, there's hardly any difference. Nick and Sharon again... seen before, and their characters haven't matured much.

When Michael Muhney was on the show, I thought this guaranteed viewership for another generation. I am in my early forties and hoped I could look forward to watching this show into my later years as other viewers have. But there seem no new strong characters to carry it forward.

I have had to accept the situation and look to other soaps such as GH who are gaining more viewers in my age group and ex actors from soaps who have become too staid. I still believe in daytime as a relevant genre, but they have to adapt.

I'm not on this board much anymore, but I had to tell you that you have perfectly summed up what many people feel. I am in the older age group, but lots of us have done exactly what you have done. After watching this show from the very beginning, I can't stay and watch a slow death - it's too painful.

#137   2014/06/28 02:58PM
    fanny22

Young and restless is a wonderful soap to watch I've been watching from the beginning,,,,
    Of course I would also like to see Micheal M. comme back ,,, I liked it when he had changed , becoming a good person,,, with Chelsea or Sharon ,,,
    I would like that if Mariah was Cassie's twin...
    Its hard to get used to the new Billy although he's a good actor,, The new Phillis should bring a lot of action ,,,,
    Keep on the good work!
    From Canada !

#138   2014/06/30 11:40PM
    Embrace

Make Kelly craziness come out. We know she has a crazy side. Let Jack go back to Phyllis so we can see this chic act up like Patty. She would be the perfect crazy lady! She convinced me a long time ago.

#139   2014/06/30 11:42PM
    Embrace

Quote bklynlady: Bring back the old core characters and the regulars:

Drucilla, JT, Raul, Larry Wharton, John Silva

Get rid of these cheesy characters: Ian, Leslie and hubby, Courtney, Austin

I wish we could have a reunion with the old characters, if only just to get a feel of the old days again.

#140   2014/06/30 11:52PM
    Embrace

Quote Teri_ETC: I've been watching Y&R since the 70s. I was a young girl and would watch the stories with my mother when I was not in school. I specifically recall how the Victor Newman and stripper Nikki storyline captured my attention as did the Katheryn Chancellor and Jill Forrester storyline - who could ever forget Victor with the guy in the basement?

PLEASE DO:

PLEASE DO NOT
    Y&R

Teri, I wish I could like this post a thousand times. Oh how I wish the writers could read this! This is the best post I have read in a long time! You made excellent points! One thing I could not agree with more is how I wish Chance was around more. I think it was unbelievable for Devon to be Kay's son, and get the inheritance. I wish Chance had played a bigger role. I really liked him.
    Great post from beginning to end! They keep changing characters in a very unbelievable way! Not cool! We know the history and we know the personality of the characters. They can't change that with the stroke of a pen.

« 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list