: I've been watching Y&R since the 70s. I was a young girl and would watch the stories with my mother when I was not in school. I specifically recall how the Victor Newman and stripper Nikki storyline captured my attention as did the Katheryn Chancellor and Jill Forrester storyline - who could ever forget Victor with the guy in the basement?
Later on, the Nick-Sharon; and Phyllis-Danny-Cricket s/l also became favs. The acting was so good back then that to this day I still see Phyllis as a skank and Villian after the way she treated Cricket and later Sharon. And I'm totally appalled at how Jill-Katheryn relationship was re-written. Jill came on as a companion to Mrs C back in her drinking dayz and the skank took advantage of her drunkenness and slept with her husband – even got preggo!
That part of the s/l was OK, but over the years the relationship migrated into something unbelievable and ridiculous. IMO, more realistically Jill should've always been “the other woman”, would've loved to see Mrs C stick it to skank Jill over the years, the way Victor does to Jack Abbott. Would've been great to see Chance develop more of a relationship with Mrs C and eventually become heir ; however, he is rarely around. And IMO. the Devon/Tucker has been a flap flop. And the Cane s/l is even more unbelievable.
I wish that the writers would stay tru to the original characters personalities and show them growing in character over time as they face life situations – give us a “calgon moment” to watch our favorite soaps live and do what some of us would only dare to do – or if we did it, we certainly wouldn’t tell!
IMO, the soaps are supposed to be our daily escape from our own daily routines. But many of the s/l are not tru to the characters we have come to love over the years; many of the s/l do not allow the characters to show growth (i.e.: Nikki with Deacon;Nikki dang near senile and still packing her bags leaving Victor after he sat in jail for her – just plain stupid; Nikki forgot she had sex with Paul and gave him a STD and apparently a son; Lauren turning cougar and sleeping with Carmine). Please stop insulting our intelligence with these unbelievable s/l that do not reflect the characters we have come to love. And I am still totally disgusted with the incestuous pairing of Sharon with Victor. Eric Braeden lost a die hard fan because of that disgusting crap.
1. Have s/l that are reflective of the characters historical personalities and that allow them to act out scenarios that show character and growth over time. A little “stunted growth” , or “peter pan syndrome” , basic woman or psych B*tch is OK, but don’t let that be everyone’s basic personality.
2. Show the consequences of behaviors, including life lessons. Many characters are rarely held accountable for their actions.
3. Keep bringing back the characters we've come to love over the years: the Foresters; the Abbotts; the Newmans, and the Winters.
4. Keep some stable families together and show them facing life challenges together -living, loving and forgiving, being there for each other and for others in their community.
5. Show some respect to our Veterans and war heros – PLEASE DO NOT trash them.
PLEASE DO NOT
1. PLEASE STOP DRAAAAAAAAAAAGING OUT THE STORYLINES FOR MON, THSYEARS AND DECADES……Please tell the story then move on to the next storyline. Next time you start a similar storyline, you can have another set of characters act out the s/l in a different way ( i.e.: given the same circumstance, people respond differently - “….If that was ME, I would have done XZY…” ).
2. Don’t be afraid to wrap up a s/l involving one set of characters. There are many life stories to be told and many ways to tell them. Make the variation based on the characters personalities – or on occasion, some people may behave “out of character” to kind of mix things up a bit.
3. I personally like how families are being expanded; however, I wish the s/l were more believable – many seem “half-baked” (i.e.: Nikki forgot she had sex with Paul and gave him a STD and apparently a son; Jack seems to have forgotten about his son Kemo; the Winters are all messed up and throwing Hillary in hasn’t helped). Families are expanded then the people disappear and more unbelievable things like “Faux Cassie” to “Cassie Twin” come along or everybody thinking Cane was Chance.
4. I understand that certain characters are gonna sleep around and that’s standard soap – but please stop putting dang near family members into romantic scenes its very disgusting and NOT ENTERTAINING – please stop it!!!!! Neil-Hillary-Devon; Nick-Diane-Victor; and the other all-time disgusting pairing Victor- Sharon-Nick.