List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Doris...

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Doris...

Started by twocentsworth at 2014/04/27 06:20PM
    Latest post: 2014/04/28 05:37PM, Views: 2567, Replies: 34
    « 1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #11   2014/04/28 11:07AM
    Re: Doris...
    KeepingItReal

Quote twocentsworth: Replying to KeepingItReal and to georgebailey, first gb: I agree Doris is a hard woman and I also wonder who Sharon's father is and if Doris had a fling with Ian Ward also.

To KeepingItReal: I love, love, love your response and your insight!!! You recall a lot of details and so many that I actually remember now that exact scene with Sharon and her Mom. Their last on-screen together and what she said to her about her room and coming home if she ever wanted. Also, just how harsh Sharon was to her wheel-chair-bound mother. Harsh indeed! Here's to keeping it real, for real.

Some things you don't forget....Doris has always gotten the worste end of the stick...."Mother's do"..

Being a single Mom I give her the props for all she had to endure....in that wheelchair raising a child that don't listen to reasoning.

Wheeling out after that yelling she got from her daughter and leaving the key there and saying what she said....came from "love".

She loved her daughter and you can tell it pained her for years to see the bad choices she made.

Even when she said she could not support her choice she made with Adam.

Mothers do take a stance and their kids don't like it.....too bad. Live and learn and sometimes "feel" from the choices they make.

But she left the keys and said "you room is always" there.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/04/28 11:10AM
    #12   2014/04/28 11:17AM
    twocentsworth

Quote KeepingItReal:
    Quote twocentsworth: Replying to KeepingItReal and to georgebailey, first gb: I agree Doris is a hard woman and I also wonder who Sharon's father is and if Doris had a fling with Ian Ward also.

To KeepingItReal: I love, love, love your response and your insight!!! You recall a lot of details and so many that I actually remember now that exact scene with Sharon and her Mom. Their last on-screen together and what she said to her about her room and coming home if she ever wanted. Also, just how harsh Sharon was to her wheel-chair-bound mother. Harsh indeed! Here's to keeping it real, for real.

Some things you don't forget....Doris has always gotten the worste end of the stick...."Mother's do"..

Being a single Mom I give her the props for all she had to endure....in that wheelchair raising a child that don't listen to reasoning.

Wheeling out after that yelling she got from her daughter and leaving the key there and saying what she said....came from "love".

She loved her daughter and you can tell it pained her for years to see the bad choices she made.

Even when she said she could not support her choice she made with Adam.

Mothers do take a stance and their kids don't like it.....too bad. Live and learn and sometimes "feel" from the choices they make.

But she left the keys and said "you room is always" there.

I'm with you, as a single mom myself, it is hard, but sometimes you must make harsh/hard decisions but at the time may be the best you can make. I don't think Doris had any help in Sharon's upbringing. Sharon saw the "hope" for the future of being a Newman when she finally fell for Nick. It took her a while to realize she was good enough for him, even though she may have come from the "wrong side of the track" in her mind. She, through Doris' parenting decided she was good enough. She could become the silk purse and fit in. A few times Nikki butted heads with the young Sharon, but she still moved forward. When she had problems, Doris tried to stay strong for her and to "demand" that Sharon do the same, it was her way of coping.

#13   2014/04/28 11:27AM
    twocentsworth

Oh and didn't the wheelchair-bound Doris convince the young 16 yr old preggers Sharon to give her baby (Cassie) up for adoption since Doris was not equipped physically or mentally with continuing to raise Sharon and now a baby to boot?????

#14   2014/04/28 11:39AM
    77RestlessFan

Quote APRIL JOY: I think ShAron was driving the car and Doris end up in the wheelchair.I think Doris blames Sharon for more than putting her in the wheelchair.we know nothing of Sharon father.I love to see that come to light who Sharon father was.I always wanted him to be very rich and never knew about Sharon but when he finds out he is there for her in every way.

Sharon at the time had run off with a man and her mother went after her to bring her back. In her chase after Sharon is when Doris had the accident. Sharon was in the car with the man she ran off with. Sharon was still a minor in high school and was an out of control teen. That is how Doris wound up in a wheel chair. It was Sharon who was resentful about having to take care of her mother.
    Shortly thereafter Doris decided to move to GC to give Sharon a fresh start. When they got to GC Sharon straight away got hooked up with Matt Clarke until one day she and Matt crashed Nick's party at the ranch and Sharon got the smell of Newman money. She immediately set her sights on Nick and the rest is history.

#15   2014/04/28 11:47AM
    77RestlessFan

Quote valleycliffe:
    Quote APRIL JOY: I think ShAron was driving the car and Doris end up in the wheelchair.I think Doris blames Sharon for more than putting her in the wheelchair.we know nothing of Sharon father.I love to see that come to light who Sharon father was.I always wanted him to be very rich and never knew about Sharon but when he finds out he is there for her in every way.

NO, she wasn't. It was a very stormy night and Doris was out driving around trying to find Sharon and stop her from being with her bf frank that night when the accident occurred. It was also the night cassie was conceived. I also think sharon DID pay victor back. she worked at 2 part time jobs while still attending hs and maintaining her 4.0 gpa.

Sharon NEVER paid Victor back. Doris' s operation cost an enormous amount of money. She wasn't even married to Nick when she asked him for the money and Nick was furious when he found out. Victoria told him that Sharon asked Victor for money. Nick screamed 'She wouldn't do that' Then he found out that she did.
    Nikki and Victoria were trying to tell Nick that Sharon only wanted him for his money and he of course defended her like he is doing now.

#16   2014/04/28 12:00PM
    sjogirl

I have only felt a couple of times that Doris had any love for Sharon, she has always come off cold and judgmental to me - if she helps her it is out of obligation, not love. IMO

#17   2014/04/28 12:01PM
    77RestlessFan

Quote LSMo:
    Quote georgebailey: What little Doris has been on imo shows a shallow bitter woman. IMO, she never showed support for Sharon or understanding. Unfortunate she had an accident that left her in a wheel chair. Sharon did not put her there, an accident happened. Sharon imo always showed guilt for what happened to her mother while Sharon was a teen. Teenagers are immature and make mistakes, even more so when they are in a home without support and love. I think Doris was hard woman, maybe she never wanted to be a mother. Maybe she did have an affair with Ian. All I ever recall about Sharon's father was, that he ran off. Doris is a boring character imo, not sure what she ever added to any storyine.

Your post is very accurate..Doris was a very cold mother..she was bitter and showed no love whatsoever for her daughter..Sharon tried hard to be a good daughter, but nothing was ever good enough for Doris...

Doris was not as cold mother. Doris told Sharon what she needed to be told. She didn't coddle Sharon and tell her she was right when she was wrong. She did what any good parent would do. She tried to straighten Sharon out. That was her job as a parent. Sharon was head strong and wouldn't listen and she knew her mother was right, that is why she would get so angry. Sharon wanted her mother to tell her what she wanted to hear and to excuse her bad behavior. That is why Sharon always wanted to stay away from her mother and not tell her what was going on. Sharon knew she was wrong and knew her mother would tell her that. Sharon always accused her mother of not being on her side because she wouldn't tell Sharon what she wanted to hear. Sharon was a wayward teen that wanted to screw around and anything else she wanted to do and her mother was trying to keep her in line. That is what Doris should have done. She was a parent trying to be a good parent and do her job. Sharon just wanted to run wild.

#18   2014/04/28 12:11PM
    sjogirl

Quote 77RestlessFan:
    Quote LSMo:
    Quote georgebailey: What little Doris has been on imo shows a shallow bitter woman. IMO, she never showed support for Sharon or understanding. Unfortunate she had an accident that left her in a wheel chair. Sharon did not put her there, an accident happened. Sharon imo always showed guilt for what happened to her mother while Sharon was a teen. Teenagers are immature and make mistakes, even more so when they are in a home without support and love. I think Doris was hard woman, maybe she never wanted to be a mother. Maybe she did have an affair with Ian. All I ever recall about Sharon's father was, that he ran off. Doris is a boring character imo, not sure what she ever added to any storyine.

Your post is very accurate..Doris was a very cold mother..she was bitter and showed no love whatsoever for her daughter..Sharon tried hard to be a good daughter, but nothing was ever good enough for Doris...

Doris was not as cold mother. Doris told Sharon what she needed to be told. She didn't coddle Sharon and tell her she was right when she was wrong. She did what any good parent would do. She tried to straighten Sharon out. That was her job as a parent. Sharon was head strong and wouldn't listen and she knew her mother was right, that is why she would get so angry. Sharon wanted her mother to tell her what she wanted to hear and to excuse her bad behavior. That is why Sharon always wanted to stay away from her mother and not tell her what was going on. Sharon knew she was wrong and knew her mother would tell her that. Sharon always accused her mother of not being on her side because she wouldn't tell Sharon what she wanted to hear. Sharon was a wayward teen that wanted to screw around and anything else she wanted to do and her mother was trying to keep her in line. That is what Doris should have done. She was a parent trying to be a good parent and do her job. Sharon just wanted to run wild.

I disagree 77restless fan, tough love is still administered with love and is the hardest thing a parent has to do...IMO, Doris always seemed to revel in the fact that she was right when Sharon would screw up instead of genuinely wanting her to learn from her mistakes...she just comes off bitter, not like she REALLY wants what is best for Sharon. IMO. I am curious if that is what the writers intended for us to glean from the Doris character.

#19   2014/04/28 12:23PM
    KeepingItReal

So very true TwoCents & Restlessfan

I will not say her Mother never loved her when in fact she did, just because she didn't coddle her or enbler her....but was a "mother".

the same Mother that left those keys on the table, and told Sharon to stop trying to be a "Newman" and come home.

Very telling that talk she had with her.

I was so disgusted to see Sharon verbally abuse her wheelchair bound Mother.

It was the most disgusting scene to see a child go off on their Mother like that!!

#20   2014/04/28 12:26PM
    77RestlessFan

Quote sjogirl:
    Quote 77RestlessFan:
    Quote LSMo:

I disagree 77restless fan, tough love is still administered with love and is the hardest thing a parent has to do...IMO, Doris always seemed to revel in the fact that she was right when Sharon would screw up instead of genuinely wanting her to learn from her mistakes...she just comes off bitter, not like she REALLY wants what is best for Sharon. IMO. I am curious if that is what the writers intended for us to glean from the Doris character.

I think Doris was always worried about Sharon because Sharon would not listen and with Doris being in a wheel chair she wasn't in a position to do a lot to control Sharon. When a teen gets out of control there are many times when harsh words are exchanged because the parents get scared and upset that the teen won't listen. They see the hand writing on the wall and are trying desperately to save them from hurt. That doesn't mean they don't love the kid. In fact the easiest thing in the world would be to agree with everything they do and excuse them when they are wrong. Doris was doing the best she could. Doris is not a psychiatrist, she was a poor hard working single mother doing the best she could. Sharon wanted to be spoiled, coddled and consoled. She didn't want to face her bad behavior and try to do right, she wanted a permissive 'yes' person for a parent so she would not be held accountable, just like now.

« 1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list