List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Re-opening anti-character zones.

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

CLOSED: Re-opening anti-character zones.

Started by Soaps Admin at 2014/04/03 12:37PM
    Latest post: 2014/04/04 01:26PM, Views: 4093, Replies: 86
    « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » »| page:
    #61   2014/04/04 06:28AM
    Re: Re-opening anti-character zones.
    trinilisa

Quote laurie6:
    Quote Jackie10:
    Quote laurie6: I think it's great that the bash threads were reopened, This board should be for everyone and not cater to one side. I don't know why all of a sudden the character bashing is a problem it has been happening for years on this board.

It has never been the bashing of characters that was the problem. Its the actor/actress bashing and the fan base bashing along with some poster bashing. And the fact that most who make threads want to have a decent debate about their subject with out Sharon being brought up and trashed in ever thread. Maybe worse things were said about Phyllis but there was much worse things said about SC then Phyllis or Sharon Newman combined.

Taking care of the offenders who start the baiting and trash talk that leads to actor/actress bashing is the only way to end it.

To me there is nothing wrong with disliking a character but there is no need for vulgar offensive language, talking about ones face, hair or clothes on a daily basis as this is the actors personal appearance. The hair dresser himself said several times SC did not wear hair extensions ever. Yet she was beat to death by post after post about it. What was the point in that? To start fights. I for one am glad that there is not as much baiting and trash talk and I hope it does not return. I used to come on the board and visit and post daily now I may read a few and post in one and thats it.

The message board is supposed to be fun. A place where you can debate, give your views and see things from someone else's perspective. When you cant make a post with out a rude reply something is wrong.

I agree about the actor/actress bashing but I disagree about SC getting it worse. MS is/was bashed for everything viciously on this board. The mods are doing a good job dealing with it IMO.

Ita. I will also like to add that at one point, it got a little hairy because some were accused of actress bashing for saying that while they found SC pretty, they didn't think she was the end all be all most beautiful woman on the show. People were accused of being jealous of her etc. I'm sightless so I really have no opinion one way or the other, just for the record. So I think it can get a little sticky when it comes to actor/actress bashing. I had also reported a poster who said that BM/EH/GR were over-rated (when the Delia accident happened) and that SC/JM played the loss of a daughter way better, and I was told that the person was expressing an opinion and that it was not actor/actress bashing. So it's a little dicey sometimes....jmo

#62   2014/04/04 06:30AM
    trinilisa

Quote laurie6:
    Quote JRTA: The bash threads only work if the posters who dislike the character keep to those threads, instead of taking over every thread with the hatred induced garbage. If you hate a character that much, you can't possibly contribute any real conversation about the character, there is no need to take over every thread to get your point across.

Personally I don't see the need for them. IMO, a character I don't like is not worth the constant attention and bashing. The negativity is damaging to the atmosphere of the board. When I do comment on a character that is not a fav of mine... there are a few... I can leave it to a post or two to get the point across and leave it at that, most of the time.

If the mods feel the need to create these threads, I think re-opening was the wrong way to go. Close and remove the old threads. Create new ones with the rules laid out clear as day... threads are for non fans only... character only, actor or fanbase bashing are not allowed... inappropriate language not permitted.

I also think the same needs to apply for non bash threads. I generally don't go into them, but there have been a few I've gone into and they are veiled bash threads for other characters.

But I also think this whole thing is about declined traffic. This board has been a lot quieter and more peaceful since the crackdown. And likely is effecting the bottom line of the site.

IMO, Everyone deserves to have a place to post their opinions, It is very simple for fans of a character to stay out of a bash thread. I do agree that it should keep the repetitive bashing out of a debate thread but the repetitive such and such is great shouldn't be allowed either. It isn't only the bashing that is a problem when posts are made over and over just to say someone is beautiful or great when it has nothing to do with the topic that shouldn't be allowed either.

Ita with this as well...

#63   2014/04/04 06:43AM
    trinilisa

Quote Soaps Admin: lvsdasnow and weatherholt3 I think you will find that this type of attack baiting in threads especially Sharon vs Phyllis is a thing of the past. We hope it will be and anybody caught doing it now is banned very quickly. We do try to keep the threads open but there were several that at the time we couldn't get a handle on. We were short staffed. We are not now which helps.

laurie6 The character bashing suddenly became a problem when a few people decided to make it their business to ruin threads. They're gone so that should stop. Again, if not whoever does it will be dealt with as well.

deceived We think that you will find the bashing threads might make the other threads more pleasing and again, those who made a few threads miserable are not welcomed here any longer. That is what we did not really want to discuss but it is a big reason for their return.

Jackie10 The actor bashing and vulgarity we saw during those few weeks has been toned down now as well hopefully because of the reminders we post daily and because we've dealt with a few privately.

One of the big issues that the Y&R portion of the Soaps forums has been having issues is because the show is very boring to most posters and bored people become restless. Sorry no pun intended.

Little_Debbie, trinislisa has a very good point. It would do well to really hear what she is saying. We apologize for not noticing that last night but you should not be assuming that some poster is not as intelligent just because they like posting in bash zones. It has no basis.

JRTA we have thought of keeping the old threads closed and opening new ones. We do not see a point in that but if everybody wants this we will do it. We still will only open threads for those characters that cause many to argue over. But you are incorrect about the traffic. I asked the editor and it has not gotten bad at all. Nothing that happens on the forums affects the traffic which does not come solely from the forums. Most comes from the content the writers post. It's the biggest soap site on the internet not because it has forums. This is about us mods working on trial and error in an attempt to give posters a good experience for all fan bases. We opened the bash zones partially because we felt bad that those who loved them were missing them. Just because we are mods does not mean we don't care about the posters! If we did not we probably would not be here.

People are going to be allowed to love or hate a character. Nobody is going to change that and we should work at respecting each other's choices and remember this is a fiction character. Getting yourselves upset if somebody can't stand the character that you like is a choice. If you let that happen you need to take responsibility for it and not blame us for not removing a post that offends you. This is in the guidelines. Everybody needs to let each other have their opinion and not try to change it.

I really appreciate that you are conversing with us on this issue. I think the open dialogue is great and gives a lot of insight into why certain things were done, appreciating the fact that you are not olidged to be so forth-coming with your decisions...

#64   2014/04/04 06:46AM
    Soaps Admin

Quote trinilisa: Ita. I will also like to add that at one point, it got a little hairy because some were accused of actress bashing for saying that while they found SC pretty, they didn't think she was the end all be all most beautiful woman on the show. People were accused of being jealous of her etc. I'm sightless so I really have no opinion one way or the other, just for the record. So I think it can get a little sticky when it comes to actor/actress bashing. I had also reported a poster who said that BM/EH/GR were over-rated (when the Delia accident happened) and that SC/JM played the loss of a daughter way better, and I was told that the person was expressing an opinion and that it was not actor/actress bashing. So it's a little dicey sometimes....jmo

That post you just talked about all of us mods remember and still agree is not bashing. We do not think it gets sticky at all. The truth is some posters are so sensitive about the characters or actors they like that they can't stand to see anything remotely which does not praise them. That is why they need us to mediate. We do not have any bias nor are we here to care one way or another who is prettiest.

Bashing -- Bashing is obvious. It is an attack. It is rude. There are also mild opinions of dislike and constructive criticism. Here they are below.

Bashing --- Sharon is ugly. (bashing)
    Not bashing --- I don't find Sharon pretty. (not bashing)
    Constructive criticism -- Sharon would look better if she had another hair style. (not bashing)

Bashing -- Billy can't act his way out of a paper bag. He sucks. (bashing)
    Not bashing -- Billy doesn't fit this role.
    Constructive criticism -- Billy does not fit this role or Billy would be better if he did this particular thing. (Sorry I don't watch so don't know what this actor does.)

Just because somebody doesn't think an actress is pretty does not mean they are jealous.

#65   2014/04/04 06:51AM
    laurie6

Quote trinilisa:
    Quote Soaps Admin: lvsdasnow and weatherholt3 I think you will find that this type of attack baiting in threads especially Sharon vs Phyllis is a thing of the past. We hope it will be and anybody caught doing it now is banned very quickly. We do try to keep the threads open but there were several that at the time we couldn't get a handle on. We were short staffed. We are not now which helps.

laurie6 The character bashing suddenly became a problem when a few people decided to make it their business to ruin threads. They're gone so that should stop. Again, if not whoever does it will be dealt with as well.

deceived We think that you will find the bashing threads might make the other threads more pleasing and again, those who made a few threads miserable are not welcomed here any longer. That is what we did not really want to discuss but it is a big reason for their return.

Jackie10 The actor bashing and vulgarity we saw during those few weeks has been toned down now as well hopefully because of the reminders we post daily and because we've dealt with a few privately.

One of the big issues that the Y&R portion of the Soaps forums has been having issues is because the show is very boring to most posters and bored people become restless. Sorry no pun intended.

Little_Debbie, trinislisa has a very good point. It would do well to really hear what she is saying. We apologize for not noticing that last night but you should not be assuming that some poster is not as intelligent just because they like posting in bash zones. It has no basis.

JRTA we have thought of keeping the old threads closed and opening new ones. We do not see a point in that but if everybody wants this we will do it. We still will only open threads for those characters that cause many to argue over. But you are incorrect about the traffic. I asked the editor and it has not gotten bad at all. Nothing that happens on the forums affects the traffic which does not come solely from the forums. Most comes from the content the writers post. It's the biggest soap site on the internet not because it has forums. This is about us mods working on trial and error in an attempt to give posters a good experience for all fan bases. We opened the bash zones partially because we felt bad that those who loved them were missing them. Just because we are mods does not mean we don't care about the posters! If we did not we probably would not be here.

People are going to be allowed to love or hate a character. Nobody is going to change that and we should work at respecting each other's choices and remember this is a fiction character. Getting yourselves upset if somebody can't stand the character that you like is a choice. If you let that happen you need to take responsibility for it and not blame us for not removing a post that offends you. This is in the guidelines. Everybody needs to let each other have their opinion and not try to change it.

I really appreciate that you are conversing with us on this issue. I think the open dialogue is great and gives a lot of insight into why certain things were done, appreciating the fact that you are not olidged to be so forth-coming with your decisions...

I agree, Also I would rather keep the bash threads we have right now rather then opening new ones.

#66   2014/04/04 07:05AM
    trinilisa

Quote Soaps Admin:
    Quote trinilisa: Ita. I will also like to add that at one point, it got a little hairy because some were accused of actress bashing for saying that while they found SC pretty, they didn't think she was the end all be all most beautiful woman on the show. People were accused of being jealous of her etc. I'm sightless so I really have no opinion one way or the other, just for the record. So I think it can get a little sticky when it comes to actor/actress bashing. I had also reported a poster who said that BM/EH/GR were over-rated (when the Delia accident happened) and that SC/JM played the loss of a daughter way better, and I was told that the person was expressing an opinion and that it was not actor/actress bashing. So it's a little dicey sometimes....jmo

That post you just talked about all of us mods remember and still agree is not bashing. We do not think it gets sticky at all. The truth is some posters are so sensitive about the characters or actors they like that they can't stand to see anything remotely which does not praise them. That is why they need us to mediate. We do not have any bias nor are we here to care one way or another who is prettiest.

Bashing -- Bashing is obvious. It is an attack. It is rude. There are also mild opinions of dislike and constructive criticism. Here they are below.

Bashing --- Sharon is ugly. (bashing)
    Not bashing --- I don't find Sharon pretty. (not bashing)
    Constructive criticism -- Sharon would look better if she had another hair style. (not bashing)

Bashing -- Billy can't act his way out of a paper bag. He sucks. (bashing)
    Not bashing -- Billy doesn't fit this role.
    Constructive criticism -- Billy does not fit this role or Billy would be better if he did this particular thing. (Sorry I don't watch so don't know what this actor does.)

Just because somebody doesn't think an actress is pretty does not mean they are jealous.

Thank you for posting the examples, especially the ones for constructive criticism.

#67   2014/04/04 09:30AM
    Little_Debbie

Dear Admins, Little Debbie here, I don't object to the idea of "bash" threads, I object to the blatant idiocy therein. The use of vulgar terms like "swanky ho", and "spread open legs" in anti-Sharon threads DOES show a lack of intelligence, and a severely limited vocabulary, and people that use that kind of talk repeatedly, are doing so to divide the community.
    Oh, and one other thing, since I'm being completely honest, that kind of trash-talking actually LESSENS the enjoyment of the show, even if it's about a character I dislike. It cheapens the board, and lowers the bar on intelligent discussion. That's how I feel, but as I've stated before, your house, your rules.
    Thank you for letting me tell it like it is.

#68   2014/04/04 09:33AM
    Sunnyflower

Actually, poster bashing, like in the post above, without a doubt, does the most to cheapen a board and lessen intelligent debate. Nothing else even comes close.

Thanks to the admin for the thought they have put into all of this and their fairness. It is much appreciated.

#69   2014/04/04 09:47AM
    trinilisa

Quote Sunnyflower: Actually, poster bashing, like in the post above, without a doubt, does the most to cheapen a board and lessen intelligent debate. Nothing else even comes close.

Thanks to the admin for the thought they have put into all of this and their fairness. It is much appreciated.

Ita Sunny about poster bashing cheapening the board and ruining the enjoyment of the posting community. I still maintain, if a person does not want to read posts against his/her favourite (or liked) character, it would make sense for this person to stay out of threads that are anti-that character. I make it a habbit not to click on the threads that adore the characters I do not. I say, click at your own risk. But that is just my humble opinion...

#70   2014/04/04 09:47AM
    Soaps Admin

You made your point already Little_Debbie. Stop beating a dead horse and being rude about it. We all get it. The guidelines do not permit it we always remove it when it's seen. That has never changed. You do understand that nobody can stop a post from a poster before it is posted, right? All we can do is remove it when it's seen. We will discuss this further with you in email regarding your own blatant poster bashing which as you know is against guidelines.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list