List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Re-opening anti-character zones.

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

CLOSED: Re-opening anti-character zones.

Started by Soaps Admin at 2014/04/03 12:37PM
    Latest post: 2014/04/04 01:26PM, Views: 4177, Replies: 86
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » »| page:
    #51   2014/04/04 06:03AM
    Re: Re-opening anti-character zones.
    laurie6

Quote Jackie10:
    Quote laurie6: I think it's great that the bash threads were reopened, This board should be for everyone and not cater to one side. I don't know why all of a sudden the character bashing is a problem it has been happening for years on this board.

It has never been the bashing of characters that was the problem. Its the actor/actress bashing and the fan base bashing along with some poster bashing. And the fact that most who make threads want to have a decent debate about their subject with out Sharon being brought up and trashed in ever thread. Maybe worse things were said about Phyllis but there was much worse things said about SC then Phyllis or Sharon Newman combined.

Taking care of the offenders who start the baiting and trash talk that leads to actor/actress bashing is the only way to end it.

To me there is nothing wrong with disliking a character but there is no need for vulgar offensive language, talking about ones face, hair or clothes on a daily basis as this is the actors personal appearance. The hair dresser himself said several times SC did not wear hair extensions ever. Yet she was beat to death by post after post about it. What was the point in that? To start fights. I for one am glad that there is not as much baiting and trash talk and I hope it does not return. I used to come on the board and visit and post daily now I may read a few and post in one and thats it.

The message board is supposed to be fun. A place where you can debate, give your views and see things from someone else's perspective. When you cant make a post with out a rude reply something is wrong.

I agree about the actor/actress bashing but I disagree about SC getting it worse. MS is/was bashed for everything viciously on this board. The mods are doing a good job dealing with it IMO.

#52   2014/04/04 06:05AM
    Jackie10

Quote JRTA: The bash threads only work if the posters who dislike the character keep to those threads, instead of taking over every thread with the hatred induced garbage. If you hate a character that much, you can't possibly contribute any real conversation about the character, there is no need to take over every thread to get your point across.

Personally I don't see the need for them. IMO, a character I don't like is not worth the constant attention and bashing. The negativity is damaging to the atmosphere of the board. When I do comment on a character that is not a fav of mine... there are a few... I can leave it to a post or two to get the point across and leave it at that, most of the time.

If the mods feel the need to create these threads, I think re-opening was the wrong way to go. Close and remove the old threads. Create new ones with the rules laid out clear as day... threads are for non fans only... character only, actor or fanbase bashing are not allowed... inappropriate language not permitted.

I also think the same needs to apply for non bash threads. I generally don't go into them, but there have been a few I've gone into and they are veiled bash threads for other characters.

But I also think this whole thing is about declined traffic. This board has been a lot quieter and more peaceful since the crackdown. And likely is effecting the bottom line of the site.

This is a great post as well. I dont like a few characters but they are not worth the time and attention given to make so much fuss over them they dont entertain me that much.

I also think its about the traffic decline. But if they would have given it a chance many who left because of the nastiness would have come back to the better board. But a lot of the decline is because the soap STINKS. With the people who have left and the writing it is just not entertaining and how many times can you say the show stinks in one day. There is nothing to read about or write about.

#53   2014/04/04 06:06AM
    laurie6

Quote deceived:
    Quote Jackie10:
    Quote laurie6: I think it's great that the bash threads were reopened, This board should be for everyone and not cater to one side. I don't know why all of a sudden the character bashing is a problem it has been happening for years on this board.

It has never been the bashing of characters that was the problem. Its the actor/actress bashing and the fan base bashing along with some poster bashing. And the fact that most who make threads want to have a decent debate about their subject with out Sharon being brought up and trashed in ever thread. Maybe worse things were said about Phyllis but there was much worse things said about SC then Phyllis or Sharon Newman combined.

Taking care of the offenders who start the baiting and trash talk that leads to actor/actress bashing is the only way to end it.

To me there is nothing wrong with disliking a character but there is no need for vulgar offensive language, talking about ones face, hair or clothes on a daily basis as this is the actors personal appearance. The hair dresser himself said several times SC did not wear hair extensions ever. Yet she was beat to death by post after post about it. What was the point in that? To start fights. I for one am glad that there is not as much baiting and trash talk and I hope it does not return. I used to come on the board and visit and post daily now I may read a few and post in one and thats it.

The message board is supposed to be fun. A place where you can debate, give your views and see things from someone else's perspective. When you cant make a post with out a rude reply something is wrong.

WE all need a lesson in 'the Art of Debate'. Intelligently discussing an S/L to understand all sides of the subject...Like, for instance, Sharon and bi-polar; I am bi-polar, and like Sharon did not know it for all my life, BUT when I found out and got meds, and weekly counseling sessions with a psychiatrist, and kept a daily journal it explained a lot of my life. Those 'black-outs' when you cannot keep track of time, I find a journal is a big help. I love to hear stories about that subject, but sometimes it goes way too far into saying she is mentally ill when she is not...AND in the real world, yes, a person suffering with bi-polar is often let out of jail, but has to keep up with weekly visits to MHMR. Anyways...people have lost the 'art of debate'.

Every character gets bashed for what they do. Sharon having BP isn't going to give her a pass. The same way EVERY character gets bashed for what they do even when they have a miscarriage.

#54   2014/04/04 06:07AM
    laurie6

Quote trinilisa:
    Quote Little_Debbie:
    Quote Soaps Admin: Hello,

After a lot of thought, we have decided to re-open all of the bash zones. It will take a while to find and open the threads and if we do not get to them right away, please send us a link to have them opened.

For those who dislike them, we ask that you ignore them in favor of the positive threads or the regular debate threads. We still expect everybody to abide by the guidelines no matter which thread you post in.

This is your house and your rules, but I would like to express my opinion.
    Bash threads are always mean-spirited, and cannot help but spill over onto any and all threads. By sanctioning threads that are degrading and taunting, you are lessening the chance of attracting and keeping posters with a higher level of community and intelligence. That makes for an unappealing board for those who are true fans of the show, and opens it up for trolls who live to bait and bash.

I usually scrole past your posts, and I have no idea why I didn't this time. But I have something to say...
    While everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, I have to say, as an anti-fan of some characters, I feel that basically saying that people who express their dislike for certain characters represent a lower level of community and intelligence is mean-spirited and condescending, especially since you may have no idea what anyone's level of community and intelligence are unless he/she shared them with you.

I agree.

#55   2014/04/04 06:09AM
    Jackie10

Quote deceived:
    Quote Jackie10:
    Quote deceived:
    Quote Jackie10:

WE all need a lesson in 'the Art of Debate'. Intelligently discussing an S/L to understand all sides of the subject...Like, for instance, Sharon and bi-polar; I am bi-polar, and like Sharon did not know it for all my life, BUT when I found out and got meds, and weekly counseling sessions with a psychiatrist, and kept a daily journal it explained a lot of my life. Those 'black-outs' when you cannot keep track of time, I find a journal is a big help. I love to hear stories about that subject, but sometimes it goes way too far into saying she is mentally ill when she is not...AND in the real world, yes, a person suffering with bi-polar is often let out of jail, but has to keep up with weekly visits to MHMR. Anyways...people have lost the 'art of debate'.

I agree they really used Sharons BP as an excuse for bashing and it should not be IMO. It is a means to teach about BP not have people with BP ridiculed and made fun of. And SC did a great job of portraying a person with BP. It doesnt affect every patient the same.

Im glad you got the help you needed. Prayers to you! You sound like a strong person.

THX Jackie! I am also a writer, that's part of the reason I like to come in here. To learn plots, characters, S/Ls, and I actually read EVERY post to learn about people and habits...What I am getting at is that even though you may have BP, you can still maintain a normal lifestyle, like a career in writing, teaching, etc.

I am a nurse and I understand what you are saying. BP doesnt mean you should be locked up. Or that you are a danger to any one. You can have a life past the BP.

#56   2014/04/04 06:12AM
    laurie6

Quote JRTA: The bash threads only work if the posters who dislike the character keep to those threads, instead of taking over every thread with the hatred induced garbage. If you hate a character that much, you can't possibly contribute any real conversation about the character, there is no need to take over every thread to get your point across.

Personally I don't see the need for them. IMO, a character I don't like is not worth the constant attention and bashing. The negativity is damaging to the atmosphere of the board. When I do comment on a character that is not a fav of mine... there are a few... I can leave it to a post or two to get the point across and leave it at that, most of the time.

If the mods feel the need to create these threads, I think re-opening was the wrong way to go. Close and remove the old threads. Create new ones with the rules laid out clear as day... threads are for non fans only... character only, actor or fanbase bashing are not allowed... inappropriate language not permitted.

I also think the same needs to apply for non bash threads. I generally don't go into them, but there have been a few I've gone into and they are veiled bash threads for other characters.

But I also think this whole thing is about declined traffic. This board has been a lot quieter and more peaceful since the crackdown. And likely is effecting the bottom line of the site.

IMO, Everyone deserves to have a place to post their opinions, It is very simple for fans of a character to stay out of a bash thread. I do agree that it should keep the repetitive bashing out of a debate thread but the repetitive such and such is great shouldn't be allowed either. It isn't only the bashing that is a problem when posts are made over and over just to say someone is beautiful or great when it has nothing to do with the topic that shouldn't be allowed either.

#57   2014/04/04 06:12AM
    Jackie10

Quote laurie6:
    Quote deceived:
    Quote Jackie10:

Every character gets bashed for what they do. Sharon having BP isn't going to give her a pass. The same way EVERY character gets bashed for what they do even when they have a miscarriage.

No one is saying Sharon should get a pass but that BP should not be made fun of or the illness made fun of. Or a person made fun of because of their BP. Use any other fault but the illness.

#58   2014/04/04 06:15AM
    Jackie10

Leaving the thread Deceieved as it is becoming Sharon oriented. Great talking with you.

#59   2014/04/04 06:17AM
    Soaps Admin

lvsdasnow and weatherholt3 I think you will find that this type of attack baiting in threads especially Sharon vs Phyllis is a thing of the past. We hope it will be and anybody caught doing it now is banned very quickly. We do try to keep the threads open but there were several that at the time we couldn't get a handle on. We were short staffed. We are not now which helps.

laurie6 The character bashing suddenly became a problem when a few people decided to make it their business to ruin threads. They're gone so that should stop. Again, if not whoever does it will be dealt with as well.

deceived We think that you will find the bashing threads might make the other threads more pleasing and again, those who made a few threads miserable are not welcomed here any longer. That is what we did not really want to discuss but it is a big reason for their return.

Jackie10 The actor bashing and vulgarity we saw during those few weeks has been toned down now as well hopefully because of the reminders we post daily and because we've dealt with a few privately.

One of the big issues that the Y&R portion of the Soaps forums has been having issues is because the show is very boring to most posters and bored people become restless. Sorry no pun intended.

Little_Debbie, trinislisa has a very good point. It would do well to really hear what she is saying. We apologize for not noticing that last night but you should not be assuming that some poster is not as intelligent just because they like posting in bash zones. It has no basis.

JRTA we have thought of keeping the old threads closed and opening new ones. We do not see a point in that but if everybody wants this we will do it. We still will only open threads for those characters that cause many to argue over. But you are incorrect about the traffic. I asked the editor and it has not gotten bad at all. Nothing that happens on the forums affects the traffic which does not come solely from the forums. Most comes from the content the writers post. It's the biggest soap site on the internet not because it has forums. This is about us mods working on trial and error in an attempt to give posters a good experience for all fan bases. We opened the bash zones partially because we felt bad that those who loved them were missing them. Just because we are mods does not mean we don't care about the posters! If we did not we probably would not be here.

People are going to be allowed to love or hate a character. Nobody is going to change that and we should work at respecting each other's choices and remember this is a fiction character. Getting yourselves upset if somebody can't stand the character that you like is a choice. If you let that happen you need to take responsibility for it and not blame us for not removing a post that offends you. This is in the guidelines. Everybody needs to let each other have their opinion and not try to change it.

#60   2014/04/04 06:26AM
    Soaps Admin

Some posts were created while I was typing my reply. I will address those.

Again it has nothing to do with traffic. We are only here to try to make the forums a decent place to post. That's why we were hired. There is no decline in how many hundreds of thousands read the forums. Many stopped posting a few weeks ago because of a few posters who were ruining it for others and many have lost interest in this soap opera altogether. When it gets better or they have something to say, the ones who left will return. Those who realize some posters were banned will probably return because they feel more secure posting. This is how it goes on any forum.

Sharon is a character who is front and center on Y & R right now just like Brooke is on B&B right now. This means they are always the most talked about characters and you will see strong opinions from both sides. That's how it works. Billy Abbott was the most talked about character a few weeks ago. It changes on a dime.

Please do not make this into a thread discussing the soap characters. We have other threads for that.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list