List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Why I stopped daily viewing.....

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Why I stopped daily viewing.....

Started by Jim and Terrie at 2014/04/01 08:10AM
    Latest post: 2014/04/03 09:13AM, Views: 2602, Replies: 12
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2014/04/01 08:10AM
    Why I stopped daily viewing.....
    Jim and Terrie

This is not one of those "I watched with my Grandmother when I was 8" type posts. I have only been a Y and R viewer for a couple of years - about the time "new" Adam came aboard.

That being said T has been an off and on fan since the show began and it is still a daily DVR requirement...at least for now. She zaps through most episodes in about 15 minutes while I am off doing something else. We used to watch it together.

The show started to become less interesting for me when they replaced short yet feisty Abby with the new actress that I disliked from day one. Around the same time the three kids were soras'd to adulthood with unlikable actors from the moment they came on screen.

I know the nature of soaps is rapid aguing syndrome but if you must age the characters give them interesting story lines Fen / Summer / Kyle were all aged with (for me) unlikable actors with storylines that made them seem spoiled and petulant. I LIKED the idea of Kyle, Summer, and Fen experiencing adolescences and teen age years but Nope - right to adulthood and dumb storylines.

The the worst happened and the beloved Jeanne Cooper passed. The show will never be the same. There is no way in hell that KC would have left her company to Victor and a Billion dollars to Devon. Dumb storyline that insults long time viewers.

Finally the Billy Miller and Michael Muhney "moving on". Sure it happens.....actors leave - As recently as last summer we lost the best actress on the show. But Phyllis has not been recast YET. Replacing Billy Miller with Old New Billy has been a disaster. He is almost unwatchable. And the Michael Muhney termination.....enough has been said about that ....lets just say there had to be a better way.

Here is a few thoughts for Y and R writers:

1. Let Teens age naturally. If you need young adults WRITE NEW CHARACTERS with engaging story lines

2. Do NOT re cast actors - KILL the Character off. Replace them by WRITING A NEW CHARACTER ( Does any one really want to see someone filling Michael Muhney's shoes?)

3. There has to be more than JAIL /COURT / HOSPITAL / EVIL TWIN / GHOST CHARACTER STORY LINES - This is 2014 - hire some YOUNG and creative writers that will not drag out same stories avery 18 months.

That is enough ranting for now.

I just miss watching a drama that honored the rich tradition of career actors. Losing Jeanne Cooper, Michelle Stafford, Billy Miller and Michael Muhney may be too much for Y and R
    to over come -

They have lost me for sure - just home some of these posts get read by the powers that be

#2   2014/04/01 08:33AM
    Re: Why I stopped daily viewing.....
    Joy T

Jim, I love your post and I agree with everything you've said. You have made excellent points but don't be surprised if your topic disappears into the black hole. It seems like every poster that makes statements about characters and the writing team, the post are closed and in some cases, is totally removed.

They call it bashing - I call it creative criticism. The fans want desperately to save this show!

This user is not a moderator and is posting inaccurate information. - ADMIN

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/04/02 05:26PM
    #3   2014/04/01 09:05AM
    Supercouplev...

I agree with most of what you said, but, I really liked the first adult Kyle. The part that really got me to quit watching, was the way Billy Miller was pushed out. They seemed so desperate to get rid of him, they just wanted someone in the role, they thought would be accepted. They did so much damage to the character before Billy left, then, with this recast, they took away so much more. Charm, charisma, rugged good looks, and of course, the chemistry with Amelia

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/04/01 09:08AM
    #4   2014/04/01 09:12AM
    Little_Debbie

To Jim and Terrie, I'm sure you'll be missed, just as the wonderful actors you've mentioned. I give up shows that I used to watch all the time. It's a part of life, and the business of entertainment.

We're so lucky to be in an age where the entertainment options are virtually endless. When I was a little whippersnapper, we had to get up to change the channels, and there weren't that many to begin with. But you know what, we loved what we got! Those early television shows are still regarded as classics.

I hear that Days is the new place for Y&R fans who are dissatisfied.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/04/01 09:14AM
    #5   2014/04/01 10:16AM
    alikat

I loved reading your opinion. While I don't agree with all of it, I respect that it's your opinion and you stated it without being biased.

I have to counterpoint two areas...

1.) If an actor decides to leave, the story doesn't necessarily end. Therefore, SOME characters need to be recast. Had they not recast, there would have never been Billy Abbott for Billy Miller to have played.

2.) I don't agree the actors who play Kyle, Fen and Summer are unlikeable. I think that is a matter of opinion. YOU don't like them. I don't care for Fen but the actor is good. The storyline was NOT. I like Summer and think the actress is phenomenal. Kyle (my opinion) was aged to play out the whole "she's my sister" storyline. Until they out the truth of Summer's paternity, there's not really anything for the character to play. I believe Michelle Stafford leaving rather put the screws to the character of Kyle.

Maybe you could try what I've done. It may help you enjoy the program again. Instead of watching every night, DVR a full week or two weeks and then watch in a marathon form. You may enjoy the show better when you have the opportunity to watch more of the storylines you DO like in one sitting while fast forwarding the stuff you don't.

#6   2014/04/01 10:24AM
    Supercouplev...

Quote alikat: I loved reading your opinion. While I don't agree with all of it, I respect that it's your opinion and you stated it without being biased.

I have to counterpoint two areas...

1.) If an actor decides to leave, the story doesn't necessarily end. Therefore, SOME characters need to be recast. Had they not recast, there would have never been Billy Abbott for Billy Miller to have played.

2.) I don't agree the actors who play Kyle, Fen and Summer are unlikeable. I think that is a matter of opinion. YOU don't like them. I don't care for Fen but the actor is good. The storyline was NOT. I like Summer and think the actress is phenomenal. Kyle (my opinion) was aged to play out the whole "she's my sister" storyline. Until they out the truth of Summer's paternity, there's not really anything for the character to play. I believe Michelle Stafford leaving rather put the screws to the character of Kyle.

Maybe you could try what I've done. It may help you enjoy the program again. Instead of watching every night, DVR a full week or two weeks and then watch in a marathon form. You may enjoy the show better when you have the opportunity to watch more of the storylines you DO like in one sitting while fast forwarding the stuff you don't.

The only problem I have with a recast, is when (after the character is well established), the recast totally, and completely changes the character. Billy had disappeared a few times (with very little adult established characteristics), so, when Billy Miller took over, the character was established around him, and they should have found someone to fit THAT character.

#7   2014/04/01 12:16PM
    Taralo

Great post. I am so with you. I barely watch anymore. The only reason I tune in at all is to see the Summer paternity reveal. That's it. Nick and Sharon again? Jack and Phyllis again? Why bother writing the show, just show reruns!

The news couples and Lane are so boring they are unwatchable.

#8   2014/04/01 12:32PM
    Nezy

I couldn't agree more with the way these characters are sorased.

i liked Blake's version of kyle. The recast was horrible and kind of creepy.

I loved Marcy Ryan as Abby. She just brought so much spunk and life to the character that I could overlook when Abby is being spoiled or irresponsible. This recast gets on my nerves.

Summer annoys the heck out of me. There is nothing interesting about the character. I want to like her, I really do but I just don't.

I know DT was original Billy, but Billy Miller put his stamp on the role. Initially, I use to think no actor should own a role all on his own, but Mr. Miller changed my mind. DT just doesn't bring anything to the mix IMO.

#9   2014/04/01 01:57PM
    Brit1

It's old, it's boring, it's repetative. I don't watch my tapes anymore.

#10   2014/04/02 03:04PM
    leprecaun28

Quote Jim and Terrie: This is not one of those "I watched with my Grandmother when I was 8" type posts. I have only been a Y and R viewer for a couple of years - about the time "new" Adam came aboard.

That being said T has been an off and on fan since the show began and it is still a daily DVR requirement...at least for now. She zaps through most episodes in about 15 minutes while I am off doing something else. We used to watch it together.

The show started to become less interesting for me when they replaced short yet feisty Abby with the new actress that I disliked from day one. Around the same time the three kids were soras'd to adulthood with unlikable actors from the moment they came on screen.

I know the nature of soaps is rapid aguing syndrome but if you must age the characters give them interesting story lines Fen / Summer / Kyle were all aged with (for me) unlikable actors with storylines that made them seem spoiled and petulant. I LIKED the idea of Kyle, Summer, and Fen experiencing adolescences and teen age years but Nope - right to adulthood and dumb storylines.

The the worst happened and the beloved Jeanne Cooper passed. The show will never be the same. There is no way in hell that KC would have left her company to Victor and a Billion dollars to Devon. Dumb storyline that insults long time viewers.

Finally the Billy Miller and Michael Muhney "moving on". Sure it happens.....actors leave - As recently as last summer we lost the best actress on the show. But Phyllis has not been recast YET. Replacing Billy Miller with Old New Billy has been a disaster. He is almost unwatchable. And the Michael Muhney termination.....enough has been said about that ....lets just say there had to be a better way.

Here is a few thoughts for Y and R writers:

1. Let Teens age naturally. If you need young adults WRITE NEW CHARACTERS with engaging story lines

2. Do NOT re cast actors - KILL the Character off. Replace them by WRITING A NEW CHARACTER ( Does any one really want to see someone filling Michael Muhney's shoes?)

3. There has to be more than JAIL /COURT / HOSPITAL / EVIL TWIN / GHOST CHARACTER STORY LINES - This is 2014 - hire some YOUNG and creative writers that will not drag out same stories avery 18 months.

That is enough ranting for now.

I just miss watching a drama that honored the rich tradition of career actors. Losing Jeanne Cooper, Michelle Stafford, Billy Miller and Michael Muhney may be too much for Y and R
    to over come -

They have lost me for sure - just home some of these posts get read by the powers that be

You are right. I don't watch every day either....I can get enough info from the spoilers...the storylines are so long, watching every couple of weeks, you still get the gist.....

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list