List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: YR40 Ratings Dipped Slightly for Feb. 10-14, 2014

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

YR40 Ratings Dipped Slightly for Feb. 10-14, 2014

Started by MsSuperSuds at 2014/02/25 02:26PM
    Latest post: 2014/03/04 08:48PM, Views: 2203, Replies: 31
    « 1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #21   2014/02/26 01:39PM
    Re: YR40 Ratings Dipped Slightly for Feb. 10-14, 2014
    Lady53

Quote MsSuperSuds: Ratings Report: Week of February 10-14, 2014

(Compared to Last Week/Compared to Last Year)

Total Viewers
    1. Y&R 5,289,000 (-193,000/+689,000)

Households
    1. Y&R 3.8/11 (-.1/+.4)

Women 18-49 Viewers
    1. Y&R 836,000 (-64,000/-46,000)

Women 18-49 Rating
    1. Y&R 1.3/8 (-.1/-.1)

Women 18-34 Viewers
    1. GH 222,000 (-14,000/+39,000)
    2. Y&R 211,000 (+2,000/+3,000)
    3. B&B 202,000 (+23,000/+25,000)
    4. DAYS 189,000 (-11,000/+26,000)

Women 18-34 Rating
    1. GH 0.7 (same/+.2)
    2. DAYS 0.6 (same/+.1)
    2. B&B 0.6 (+.1/+.1)
    2. Y&R 0.6 (same/same)

Women 25-54 Viewers
    1. Y&R 1,217,000 (-69,000/+5,000)

Women 25-54 Rating
    1. Y&R 2.0 (-.1/same)

Day-To-Day Ratings – HH/Total Viewers

Y&R

Monday: 3,8/5,369,000
    Tuesday: 4.0/5,482,000
    Wednesday: 3.8/5,300,000
    Thursday: 3.7/4,990,000
    Friday: 3.8/5,306,000

The ratings have been posted late again this week when it is almost time for the ratings for last week, February 17-21, 2017, to be posted. Oh well, we accept what we get when we get it.

Although the ratings are still good, Y&R ratings are slipping downward a bit further than last week. I expect that to happen because the weather is getting a bit better--at least for us in the southern states. We have had almost spring-like weather here for the past week and folks are taking advantage of it. I did continue to read recaps but I did not watch much during this week so I don't have a lot to comment about as far as the quality of the show. Everything is pretty much the same.

All soaps are down in the 18-49 demographic. Y&R is still scrapping with all the other three soaps for domination in the 18-34 category. Y&R is #1 one week and this week they are last! BUT I can imagine that this battle will go on until the viwership and the ratings settle down. AH, I forgot this is the end of February sweeps. Ratings, I am almost certain, were higher for this new regime than for any other sweeps period. Hopefully we shall se how the viewership & ratings hold up during the remainder of this period before May sweeps.

I did enjoy the gala (thru warts and all the inattention to details) that started on that Friday and continued into the next week. I know that the writing still needs a lot of work and there were a lot of strange occurences at the gala but it was something different. It was a bit of fun and entertainment for me to see the characters get all dressed up and interact with each other on a social level. The gala was an event that took this viewer away from all the WTD, contrived romantic couplings, babynapping & everything else that is standard fare for Y&R these days. Loved that loud and crazy guy, Womack, who kept the crowd under control. But more of that should come up for next weeks ratings--not this weeks.

If you wish to comment, plese share your thoughts. All posts are welcome.

People have to remember that is also the week that the severe rain/ice/snow storms went from Texas to LA and then up thru all whole east coast states and became a severe nor'easter in the northern states. Most tv networks were constantly covering the storms on an all day basis especially in the south and people couldn't even watch the soaps. I know there was nothing but news on all the local stations the whole day on Wednesday and Thursday that week where I was.

And when I can't watch it counts, as I have a Nielson rating box on my TV and program on my computer as well.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/02/26 01:49PM
    #22   2014/02/26 09:47PM
    shalaydra75

Quote On a Clear Day:
    Quote shalaydra75:
    Quote On a Clear Day: Wow, they've lost 437,000 viewers over the past 2 weeks since Adam disappeared and nuBilly started. I wonder if they will continue to go down next week or if this shedding of viewers will stabilize.

Actually, Y&R's ratings are higher than they were before the Winter Vortex blew in. The Winter Vortex, touched the Southeast as well as the North. In addition Phyllis, Adam and Billy took over Y&R in the summer 2010; thereafter, Y&R consistently garnered fewer than 5 million viewers. In both of the last 2 weeks, Y&R had 600,000 (over 1.4 million when the 2 weeks are added together)more viewers than the previous year, when Phyllis, Billy and Adam were running amuck. Lastly, if this is evidence of Billy and Adams' popularity, Cane must have been beyond popular since the 2 weeks after his departure, Y&R lost 689,000. Compare to the previous year after Cane's departure (2 weeks), Y&R lost 622,000

You edited and highlighted only 1/4 of what I said rather than showing my entire statement above. I did not suggest that the lowered ratings for 2 weeks in a row were solely due to lack of Adam character and new Billy entering. I went on also to say how none of the stories are that interesting and I FF through many others.

You can spin the numbers however you want by comparing them to different points in time or throwing weather, holidays, etc. into the mix. The big picture is they lost a lot of viewers two weeks in a row and all the other soaps now compete with them much closer in differing categories from week to week. People have become less loyal and a little more fickle and are checking out other soaps now. Y&R used to take for granted it's #1 status because it had decades long loyal viewers who did not delete from the DVR even when bad. They need to wake up and not rely on the habit of viewers tuning in.

You cannot compare the ratings of any of the soaps to what they did last year or 4 years ago. All the soap ratings are now much higher. Neilson started counting more types of viewers this summer from tablets, phones, etc. and adding those to the mix so now all the soaps consistantly have higher total viewers. It's not because the soaps are better than they have ever been. It's not apples to apples.

You are correct I did delete much of your message; however, I did not edit or highlight your words. Unless I am having a very slow day, I do not debate people on anecdotal information; I believe in facts. For me ratings are facts.

Here are some undeniable facts.

MS, MM and BM, when he was not pursuing outside jobs, held court from 2011-2013 at the expense of other characters. Consequently,Y&R experienced its lowest ratings ever. Moreover,B&B cut its lead to under a million viewers on a few occasions.

After BM and MM's departure, Y&R has maintained at least 1.34 lead over B&B, its closest competitor. Those numbers are definitely better than when Adam, Billy and Phyllis were omnipresent.

MM and BM played prominent roles during and after the 1st snow storm of 2014, and the ratings dropped by 330,000 the week after the snow storm, which is more than the week after they departed.

None of the boards have more than 4 million posters which suggest that the overwhelming majority of viewers never visit the boards, and those that do make occasional posts.

These are my subjective statements.

MAB listened to a few posters on the message boards and soap critics in such rags as SID and SOD to shape her presentation of characters. Resultantly, Y&R lost at least a million fans.

Y&R is on the verge of emerging from the ashes that MAB left behind or fizzling out. It is the only soap that has diversity in ethnicity and temperament. That is why at its best, other soaps will never touch it. Unless something drastic happens B&B will never have more the mid 4 million viewers and GH as well as Days will never have more than 3.5 million viewers, because they do not have diversity.

Since Y&R is diverse, each fan will see a few characters as irrelevant. I hope that the new TBTP understands that most of the standard characters have fanbases. Although Phyllis, Billy and Adam characters mean less than nothing to me, I wholeheartedly support their return if they are a part of an ensemble and screen hogs.

#23   2014/03/01 06:21AM
    mom chez

Lady 53,

Even when Y&R was pre-empted by snow storms news, the show was shown on alternate time and and station.

#24   2014/03/01 08:47AM
    MsSuperSuds

Even with a diverse cast, I am at a point with Y&R that I cannot feel the characters anymore. Too many plot points w/o the human element driving the action. Y&R has always been a character-driven show and we got to know, see and understand a characters motivations for acting in a specific way. That is now missing from this soap. The writing for the characters does not make the character pop (interesting)! The writing has made characters bland, boring participants in whatever is happening on screen. A Case in point is TP's show, The Haves & Havenots. That show is definitely character-driven to the point that you either like, dislike, empathize/sympathize with, love and/or hate each of the characters. Not so with the characters on Y&R. Most look like they are just going thru the motions of trying to convince us that they are going thru some crises or misbehaving badly for a good cause. Its & they are not believable. These one-dimensional simpletons are boring me to tears. There are good moments for characters but not too many. Consequently, I cannot watch! I have no interest in watching daily. I watched the episodes w/ scenes from the gala b/c all the characters were visible & I could see them driving action.

I hate to see my last and only soap going down the drain this way. The ratings might be up but there is too much crap going on at one time and nothing specific. No stories! Just Plot points! Plot points! Plot points! And it looks all so contrived that every outcome is predictable. I am still holding out hope that things will get better on this soap once again and that the writers will stop hopping from one crises to another--Or from plot point to plot point--AND sit down, create imaginative fare, confer with each other, take care of the details and pen some credible character-driven stories that delight me again.

I do realize that since MAB backburnered or sidelined most of the cast that it is going to take a while to get all of them back on the screen again and working again. I still cannot get accustomed to these newbies (especially those from other soaps)parading on the frontburner as solid Y&R characters. Most are not working for me--especially when they are supposed to be leading characters. I find very little that I want to get excited about or discuss about this show & I see the same happening on message boards.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/03/01 08:52AM
    #25   2014/03/01 08:56AM
    mom chez

And they probably don't visit message boards either.

Geez, what do you have against reading message boards?

#26   2014/03/01 09:16AM
    MsSuperSuds

Quote mom chez: And they probably don't visit message boards either.

Geez, what do you have against reading message boards?

I have absolutely nothing against reading message boards. I read them all the time--especially subjects or topics I am interested in. Sorry that you took it that way. My point is that there are not a lot of intense, excited, over-the-top discussions about Y&R. Of course there are some but not like they once were.

#27   2014/03/01 09:56AM
    lvsdasnow

Quote shalaydra75:
    Quote On a Clear Day:
    Quote shalaydra75:
    Quote On a Clear Day: Wow, they've lost 437,000 viewers over the past 2 weeks since Adam disappeared and nuBilly started. I wonder if they will continue to go down next week or if this shedding of viewers will stabilize.

Actually, Y&R's ratings are higher than they were before the Winter Vortex blew in. The Winter Vortex, touched the Southeast as well as the North. In addition Phyllis, Adam and Billy took over Y&R in the summer 2010; thereafter, Y&R consistently garnered fewer than 5 million viewers. In both of the last 2 weeks, Y&R had 600,000 (over 1.4 million when the 2 weeks are added together)more viewers than the previous year, when Phyllis, Billy and Adam were running amuck. Lastly, if this is evidence of Billy and Adams' popularity, Cane must have been beyond popular since the 2 weeks after his departure, Y&R lost 689,000. Compare to the previous year after Cane's departure (2 weeks), Y&R lost 622,000

You edited and highlighted only 1/4 of what I said rather than showing my entire statement above. I did not suggest that the lowered ratings for 2 weeks in a row were solely due to lack of Adam character and new Billy entering. I went on also to say how none of the stories are that interesting and I FF through many others.

You can spin the numbers however you want by comparing them to different points in time or throwing weather, holidays, etc. into the mix. The big picture is they lost a lot of viewers two weeks in a row and all the other soaps now compete with them much closer in differing categories from week to week. People have become less loyal and a little more fickle and are checking out other soaps now. Y&R used to take for granted it's #1 status because it had decades long loyal viewers who did not delete from the DVR even when bad. They need to wake up and not rely on the habit of viewers tuning in.

You cannot compare the ratings of any of the soaps to what they did last year or 4 years ago. All the soap ratings are now much higher. Neilson started counting more types of viewers this summer from tablets, phones, etc. and adding those to the mix so now all the soaps consistantly have higher total viewers. It's not because the soaps are better than they have ever been. It's not apples to apples.

You are correct I did delete much of your message; however, I did not edit or highlight your words. Unless I am having a very slow day, I do not debate people on anecdotal information; I believe in facts. For me ratings are facts.

Here are some undeniable facts.

MS, MM and BM, when he was not pursuing outside jobs, held court from 2011-2013 at the expense of other characters. Consequently,Y&R experienced its lowest ratings ever. Moreover,B&B cut its lead to under a million viewers on a few occasions.

After BM and MM's departure, Y&R has maintained at least 1.34 lead over B&B, its closest competitor. Those numbers are definitely better than when Adam, Billy and Phyllis were omnipresent.

MM and BM played prominent roles during and after the 1st snow storm of 2014, and the ratings dropped by 330,000 the week after the snow storm, which is more than the week after they departed.

None of the boards have more than 4 million posters which suggest that the overwhelming majority of viewers never visit the boards, and those that do make occasional posts.

These are my subjective statements.

MAB listened to a few posters on the message boards and soap critics in such rags as SID and SOD to shape her presentation of characters. Resultantly, Y&R lost at least a million fans.

Y&R is on the verge of emerging from the ashes that MAB left behind or fizzling out. It is the only soap that has diversity in ethnicity and temperament. That is why at its best, other soaps will never touch it. Unless something drastic happens B&B will never have more the mid 4 million viewers and GH as well as Days will never have more than 3.5 million viewers, because they do not have diversity.

Since Y&R is diverse, each fan will see a few characters as irrelevant. I hope that the new TBTP understands that most of the standard characters have fanbases. Although Phyllis, Billy and Adam characters mean less than nothing to me, I wholeheartedly support their return if they are a part of an ensemble and screen hogs.

Are you part of the Y&R Staff? You appear to be very knowledgeable of the show and its Charactor's.

#28   2014/03/01 10:01AM
    lvsdasnow

People in my area were out a week without electricity. So the show was not shown to them. Many were out two day and more. This is fact. I was there. I was out and missed the show.
    I believe that in fact will affect the ratings. They may regain those watchers this week, but then again, in Califorina they are still having problems. Over 30,000 views out of electricity.

Many have generators, but what do you do, use the generator for the fridge or TV.

Lots just were outside playing in the snow, sleet and ice. And I mean our streets were full of people pulling their children on garbage can lids, shovels, boards and paper. lol. Lots of fun outside, no TV inside.

#29   2014/03/01 07:51PM
    Lady53

Quote mom chez: Lady 53,

Even when Y&R was pre-empted by snow storms news, the show was shown on alternate time and and station.

Yes they do the alternate thing in my area also but you know what with all the talk about the storm I never once heard them say the shows would be on at another time(usually in the wee hours of the night) like they usually do when they have been pre-empted. Also the times they start them are usually off time and you have to either stay up and watch them or try to DVR them which is a pain because most cable and satellite DVR systems are set to record on the half hour or hour depending on the predetermined show scheduled. Sometimes you end up with an hour show (like Y&R) DVRd in 2 segments because the predetermined show was only a half hour so you had to tell it to record the next predetermined show.

That was only a small part of it because many thousands, actually millions of people were without electricity for a week and some for 2 weeks all up and down the east coast states.

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes pre-emptions/unusual circumstances/mother nature/acts of God/call it what you will whatever it may be, that have nothing to do with the shows(such as maybe a favorite actor leaving does) affect the numbers because they affect the actual ability of viewers being able to view the show when it normally is on.
    And that without a doubt does affect ratings more than any one actor or two or even three leaving a show, especially a show that has been #1 for decades.

JMHO

#30   2014/03/04 12:40PM
    MsSuperSuds

Ratings for the week of February 17-21, 2014 have finally been posted. The thread is coming up ASAP!

« 1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list