List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: YR40 Maintains Good Ratings: Feb. 3-7, 2014

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

YR40 Maintains Good Ratings: Feb. 3-7, 2014

Started by MsSuperSuds at 2014/02/14 01:01PM
    Latest post: 2014/02/25 02:08PM, Views: 2045, Replies: 30
    « 1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #11   2014/02/15 09:43PM
    Re: YR40 Maintains Good Ratings: Feb. 3-7, 2014
    lynj

I am one of those who has stopped viewing after nearly 20 years but I'm not surprised they held their ratings. Most people will continue to watch out of habit despite poor quality for a long time.

The most interesting result was Days which had a 2 year high. In the 18 to 49 bracket the soaps are fairly even atm. I am in that age group and I like the veterans but also want to see some good actors my age mark, MM and BM leaving leaves a big hole there.

#12   2014/02/15 09:46PM
    ajsp35801

Quote lynj: I am one of those who has stopped viewing after nearly 20 years but I'm not surprised they held their ratings. Most people will continue to watch out of habit despite poor quality for a long time.

The most interesting result was Days which had a 2 year high. In the 18 to 49 bracket the soaps are fairly even atm. I am in that age group and I like the veterans but also want to see some good actors my age mark, MM and BM leaving leaves a big hole there.

Count me in that same group who find other actors in that same group worth watching. MM and BM wasn't the entire age range nor the show.

#13   2014/02/15 10:58PM
    PurrrrrrrKitty

Quote lynj: I am one of those who has stopped viewing after nearly 20 years but I'm not surprised they held their ratings. Most people will continue to watch out of habit despite poor quality for a long time.

Noooooo, I don't watch out of habit.. it was very easy for me to delete from DVR that last week of BM and MM.. but I am watching it again. it's 30 minutes on DVR.. I can find something else to do..

#14   2014/02/15 10:59PM
    PurrrrrrrKitty

Quote ajsp35801:

Count me in that same group who find other actors in that same group worth watching. MM and BM wasn't the entire age range nor the show.

Amen.. thank YOU!!!!

#15   2014/02/16 04:44PM
    MsSuperSuds

Quote PurrrrrrrKitty:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote MsSuperSuds: I almost never associate that February is Black History month with soaps & especially not w/ Y&R; but I did wonder why all the AA cast members are visible on the show right now. Voila! Its Black History month! New EP & new HW team! New policies! What a way to acknowledge the month, to showcase the actors, to renew the numbers of viewers, and to keep up the ratings. Good move for both AMD and JFP! I just hope this move is not temporary and that the inclusion of ALL the cast members continue throughout the run of the show.

I hope this is not the reason that they are showing the AA characters just because I hope the end of the month doesn't mean that they go on back burner the rest of the year. I just hope that the new PTB see what capable actors/actresses and engaging characters that they portray and want to write for them. Hopefully this is not wishful thinking on my part.

Time will tell won't it?? but I hope the AA actors will continue get compelling story lines..

Using the whole cast in the Gala scenes has brought a sense of fun and excitement to the whole cast! I haven't seen as meny behind-the-scenes photos and videos of the actors and actresses actually excited about and enjoying what they are doing in a long, long time. I think that shows on screen as well. I have not watched in a long, long time; but I did watch 3 episodes last week and they were OK.

If we are going into the land of dopplegangers again, I am gone again. I still have not put Y&R back on my DVR or VCR either; so that would be cause for me to skip the whole show once again. I have never seen a show with so many look-alikes, lost twins at birth, folks w/ plastic surgeries taking over the lives of characters we like. I cannot stand them. Viewers are not stupid enough to buy the lack of different physical features, mannerisms, etc. That ploy needs to take as long a rest as the overused sexual hookups and WTD crazes. It is time for Cassie to disappear again--permanently; and I hope there are no other dopplegangers or ghosts coming forth anytime soon. I am glad the ghost of John Abbott is taking a rest, too.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/02/16 04:48PM
    #16   2014/02/16 08:07PM
    Kelby

Oh whatever....the show still reeks! I like what one person said....when people are stuck inside because of the weather, they will watch anything.

#17   2014/02/16 09:12PM
    TwoOfEach

The drop is relatively small. There was a bigger drop last month when the polar vortex ended. People tuned in to see David Tom and Tristan Rogers debut and it was an interesting week. I'm not sure how the bad weather last week will impact ratings, but the gala should attract eyeballs and next week starts off with a huge bang. I think ratings will probably be pretty stable through the end of the month.

As long as the ratings continue to hover around 5 million for the winter and stay in the high 4 millions in the spring and summer, the show will be fine.

HiVon has gotten a good public response and with Colin in town I expect to see more stories involving Lane.

#18   2014/02/17 09:49PM
    shalaydra75

Quote On a Clear Day: The ratings for all the soaps have been unusually high for 2 weeks so they were all bound to dip a little as they cannot keep up that pace. Although the ratings are still good and higher than they were last year, Y&R actually lost 18% of it's total households viewing the show in the week after BM & MM left as compared to the week prior.

In comparison, B&B only went down 10% in total households (to be expected as they got really high numbers the week prior when they featured a popular new love all week), GH lost much less than that, and DOOL increased it's total households watching.

Y&R did take a big hit in the week following BM and MM's departure. Losing 18% of viewing households from one week to the next is unusual and not to be ignored. This is not to say BM & MM are the sole reason for the big decrease in overall viewers however, but it could be part of it. The lack of romance, and too many insignificant, weird, or boring storylines, as well as a several months long depressing undercurrent on the show, and stalled or nonsensical storylines continues.

Y&R has loyal viewers who will not easily delete the show from the dvr even if they have to FF much of it or pray it will sometime soon improve. That, along with the show giving face time to almost all the characters has helped keep some people tuned in.

Admittedly, I do not know how HHs are calculated. According to the ratings report, it dropped by .1. The total viewership dropped by only 4.3%. The previous reported Wednesday had over 6 million viewers. I had lived in the Southern part of a gulf state for about 11 years. That was the 1st time that nearly all private businesses closed. All public institutions were closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. The weather, therefore, had some thing to do with these ratings. I do think that MM and BM fans may have discontinued their viewership. However, I believe that other fans are returning. Before MAB and later JG began to focus on the "superstars/great actors," Y&R had ratings ranging from the upper 5 to mid 6 million. I hope it return to those days. Change will not occur over night. I hope that TPTB realize that Y&R's strength has always been its presentation of an ensemble.

#19   2014/02/17 10:05PM
    shalaydra75

Quote TwoOfEach: The drop is relatively small. There was a bigger drop last month when the polar vortex ended. People tuned in to see David Tom and Tristan Rogers debut and it was an interesting week. I'm not sure how the bad weather last week will impact ratings, but the gala should attract eyeballs and next week starts off with a huge bang. I think ratings will probably be pretty stable through the end of the month.

As long as the ratings continue to hover around 5 million for the winter and stay in the high 4 millions in the spring and summer, the show will be fine.

HiVon has gotten a good public response and with Colin in town I expect to see more stories involving Lane.

I am hoping that Y&R will pull out of the 4 million range, particularly the lower 4 million range. The ground has shifted under Y&R's feet. When it had very low ratings before the winter of 2011-12, the Talk and B&B had low ratings. B&B has been steadily rising since the winter of 2011-12. In fact, it has cut Y&R's lead into under a million on numerous occasions. Recently the Talk had 3.6 million viewers for a week.

#20   2014/02/18 02:40PM
    MsSuperSuds

Finally some action, suspense, drama on Y&R. Doesn't matter how silly, contrived or predictable the plot lines are, it's entertaining & fun to watch something and some folks who move & incite action. The Gala gives everyone a little piece of the action. The guy who plays Womack is doing a great job keeping everyone on their toes. This is the kind of ensemble writing & presentations Y&R sincerely needs. Viewers are sick of looking at five or six characters five days a week to the exclusion of the rest of the cast. Dylan/Avery, Nick/Sharon, Chloe/Chelsea/Connor, Victor/Jack, etc. are on too often & few care. Offset their scenes with something else. Bring back balanced storyline rotations. So I am glad other characters are finally being used again. Their inclusion will entice more viewers to watch w/o getting bored. I am Glad to see all the characters out of their pods or cliques & interacting w/ other characters. Now this is a way to get viewers to watch AND to keep up the ratings.

« 1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list