List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Ring the old year out - read quickly

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Ring the old year out - read quickly

Started by Ericafan at 2013/12/23 11:20AM
    Latest post: 2013/12/25 07:14AM, Views: 1072, Replies: 7
    page:
    #1   2013/12/23 11:20AM
    Ring the old year out - read quickly
    Ericafan

This year has been a learning experience for me as a long time soap fan. In April I was thrilled to have All My Children And One life to live back online, only to have them killed again because of pettiness and greed.
    I will never invest my time and my emotions again in a soap. I'm sad that Y&R fans are going through something similar, but at least you have the show for now.
    I had hoped this board would be fun but I see now that it is run by an iron fist, and beware unless you always are cheery and post only about nothing that really matters in the real world.
    Hang in there if you can. Soap fans really have heart. Too much maybe.
    We over 50s had a good run with our favorites.

#2   2013/12/23 11:55AM
    Re: Ring the old year out - read quickly
    Casse2go

The real world... you mean there's a real world that we can compare the Soaps to? You'd never know it from Y & R or the Bell Family's other venture.

We fans are made to swallow any and all swill they send down the chute. We have complained until we're blue in the face and still they do nothing to hear us or to update their shows.

I haven't seen Y & R on any media or network since Muhney was fired. And you know what, I don't miss it at all. They run the same thing over and over and over. I stopped watching AMC when Erica was going to marry yet another man, She didn't even have her child at the time. I stopped watching DOOL when they brought Stefano back from the grave for the 20th time... Gh keeps bring back people who are dead and buried, Every other week there are 6 guns on the screen at one time, Peoplewearing exact masks of others, B & B that show is so pathetic the writing has dwindled down to just rinse repeat dialogue on a daily basis. In fact the daily shows are mostly longing looks or smiles with little dialogue. Y & R has become just a laugh riot. An old man who thinks he controls the world and all in it. How much money does Victor Newman have?

Never any up to date stories on the show, never. We can't live in a daydream world all year long. People are hurting to much to try and forget their misery in reverie.

The Soaps need to all go the way of the stagecoach.

WOw, they have a new Adam already... that was fast. Doesn't matter to me... I won't be watching.

#3   2013/12/23 12:08PM
    Lanie1959

Fans are not made to do anything they don't want to do...there is always the option of just not watching . Continuing to watch is your choice ...always said soap were the most flexible fans on earth, we choose to accept the situations when we continue to watch. if we committed enough we accept time travel, rapid aging and historical rewrites but nobody has ever forced me to watch something i didn't want to. I was lucky to been watching when we had writers like Agnes Nixon, Gloria Monty and other soap genus' but even they at times asked to suspend reality and we did. There was no internet are around to spoil story lines or people who sat for hours and complained about a show... we watched our soaps and got on with our lives , a lot of the unhappiness we are seeing these days is self inflicted if you ask me. We read the spoilers, talk them to death then complain about being bored. ..it's insane but it's the truth. There is such a thing as too much information, I think soaps were a more enjoyable experience before I found soap boards on the internet because hardly anybody wants to talk about enjoying the shows .

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/12/23 12:09PM
    #4   2013/12/23 12:25PM
    calliope

I agree Lanie. We waited to see what would happen the next day so each day was a little surprising. I say this but still get on the soap boards daily! I like my soaps. Sometimes they are stupid and boring but I have stuck through silly sl since b/w 15 minute episodes. I will hold on. I did stop B&B though because they just kept writing the same plot with different faces.
    If the only thing a person can get out of soaps is complaing they may not be your genre!

#5   2013/12/23 12:27PM
    Ericafan

Thanks to you both! The writing was much better on several above- mentioned soaps. I am willing to suspend belief if I am invested in the characters. Where are the Adam Chandlers, the Dorian Lords, and Yes, the Ericas? And the others, not stars but reliable, good actors like Matthew Cowles, who didn't just phone it in. They many times were appearing on Broadway, which is why they wouldn't be on on matinee day when they were live.
    Totally agree on B&B! Why is it still on btw?
    And the boards..well, enuff ssid.
    Thanks!

#6   2013/12/24 08:00AM
    Blue 501

Now that I am home nearly all the time, I try to watch Y&R, for Old Time's sake (watching for 34 years when I could) but the show is such a snoozefest & 4 of its most dynamic actors gone. They might as well burn the sets & just emote on an empty stage. Oops. Only MS, BM, MM, and JC could pull that off.
    I will be sitting there watching it & it occupies so little of my mind or emotions that I find myself wandering off to Face Book where there is more drama (I stir it up on a daily basis just to make sure), or picking up a Dave Robichaux special to read between interesting scenes. Usually I am deep into the book by the time the episode ends.

#7   2013/12/24 08:37AM
    Lizzytish

Lanie and Calliope,

Agree with you both -- I've been thinking myself that the reason they don't listen to the fans is because we are great at issuing threats of not watching, etc.; but not very effective when it comes to the consequence of the threat. Like raising kids, if you keep telling them they'll be ground for bad behavior but then never do it, you have no credibility.

Ah the good old days of watching soaps and yes, waiting impatiently for the next episode to see what was going to happen. I have pros and cons when it comes to spoilers. With the way these plots drag out these days, if we didn't have a hopeful spoiler that say "a wrong was going to be righted", I don't think I'd have the patience anymore to continue to watch.

Back to Lanie's point -- I've always wondered what would happen if we all not only stopped watching, but stopped venting on these message boards.

#8   2013/12/25 07:14AM
    ecantor

Why so many negative threads? If you don't like the characters or the show, then why watch?

page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list