List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: "IF"Sharon is sick, its because she chooses to be!

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

"IF"Sharon is sick, its because she chooses to be!

Started by Yale Steam at 2013/09/21 02:56PM
    Latest post: 2013/09/25 02:19PM, Views: 4481, Replies: 145
    « 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 » »| page:
    #91   2013/09/22 09:39PM
    Re:
    troycody

Quote Ethelmae02:
    Quote Jackie10:
    Quote Yale Steam: She is off her meds and she refuses treatment. No excuses of illness nor free passes.

She is indirectly responsible for what happen to Phyllis and she changed Nick's letter creating hell for Summer.

Josh says Sharon is sick? We it's her own fault and it's her choice.

Sharon is not responsible for Phyllis' accident. And Sharon is not taking her meds because she IS SICK. Patients often feel their meds arent working or making them worse and they stop taking them not because the choose to be sick but because they are sick and things arent making sense to them.
    she is responsible for Phylis's accident. Had she NOT chased her down like a loonybird to the staircase and yanked over her phone, same thing happened at the clifftop where Dru fell, Phylis might not have fallen. She was trying to escape from the wacko Sharon who also left her hurt at the bottom of the stairs and didnt call 911. That the least one human being can do for another is call 911 if they are hurt and injured. Sharon's doctor has given her sound advise which she chooses to ignore. Not feeling sorry for her one bit.

OMG I forgot all about what part Sharon had when Dru went over the cliff. and again its not what it seems.

#92   2013/09/22 09:39PM
    Re:
    Ethelmae02

Quote spooch:
    Quote ajsp35801: As I read these posts, it is quite clear to me that some people do not understand what a mental illness is, especially when it comes to taking medication. You can not levy the same rationales on these people that you do with people with physical illnesses. If Sharon had cancer and refused to take meds, that would be one thing. And everything that is said would be true. It is her fault because she is refusing to get help. No excuses there. But with mental illnesses, if often fools the person like they don't need the medication...or taking the medication fools person like they don't need it because they are feeling better. I have a cousin who suffers from schizophrenia. She wants to be better and does well for a long time with taking her medication and seeing her counselor...then she gets too confident and things go down hill. Then the family has to force her into a mental institution to be medicated against her will until it works and she gets back on track. That's mental illness. I despise Sharon and always have, but having dealt with mental illness first hand, I have the history to know that this is the disease that Sharon has that makes her get off her meds and not some failing in her character that makes her do it.
    I think that is a very arrogant opinion to say that we don't understand mental illness because we think Sharon is responsible for her actions. She knows exactly what she is doing. She should be institutionalized, if she is not responsible for her actions. She has changed a paternity test and burnt someone's home down, and she has used her daughter as a pawn. She needs to be stopped.
    I just hate being talked down to cause its Sharon whose the topic. We all here are adults and we all know mental illness is real and we all know someone whose suffering one way or another from it. We all know many homeless are victims of mental illness as well. Sharon has been told she has a mental condition. She has been prescribed pills to take. She has the money to see her therapist on a regular basis. She refuses sound advise from her son and doctor. What more can one do for her? she is too selfish to consider her daughter and her losing grip with reality day by day. I do not pity her. At least she can afford the best care. Others are uninsured and cant afford to see a therapist or afford health care. Thats real but this is soap operaland.

#93   2013/09/23 03:32AM
    Re:
    spooch

Quote Ethelmae02:
    Quote spooch:
    Quote ajsp35801: As I read these posts, it is quite clear to me that some people do not understand what a mental illness is, especially when it comes to taking medication. You can not levy the same rationales on these people that you do with people with physical illnesses. If Sharon had cancer and refused to take meds, that would be one thing. And everything that is said would be true. It is her fault because she is refusing to get help. No excuses there. But with mental illnesses, if often fools the person like they don't need the medication...or taking the medication fools person like they don't need it because they are feeling better. I have a cousin who suffers from schizophrenia. She wants to be better and does well for a long time with taking her medication and seeing her counselor...then she gets too confident and things go down hill. Then the family has to force her into a mental institution to be medicated against her will until it works and she gets back on track. That's mental illness. I despise Sharon and always have, but having dealt with mental illness first hand, I have the history to know that this is the disease that Sharon has that makes her get off her meds and not some failing in her character that makes her do it.
    I think that is a very arrogant opinion to say that we don't understand mental illness because we think Sharon is responsible for her actions. She knows exactly what she is doing. She should be institutionalized, if she is not responsible for her actions. She has changed a paternity test and burnt someone's home down, and she has used her daughter as a pawn. She needs to be stopped.
    I just hate being talked down to cause its Sharon whose the topic. We all here are adults and we all know mental illness is real and we all know someone whose suffering one way or another from it. We all know many homeless are victims of mental illness as well. Sharon has been told she has a mental condition. She has been prescribed pills to take. She has the money to see her therapist on a regular basis. She refuses sound advise from her son and doctor. What more can one do for her? she is too selfish to consider her daughter and her losing grip with reality day by day. I do not pity her. At least she can afford the best care. Others are uninsured and cant afford to see a therapist or afford health care. Thats real but this is soap operaland.

It is such a rude way to talk to people. I think the majority of us in this world have dealt with crazy. Crazy should not b allowed to walk the streets when they are a danger to us. Sharon is a danger.

#94   2013/09/23 06:31AM
    Re:
    alikat

Quote Yale Steam: She is off her meds and she refuses treatment. No excuses of illness nor free passes.

She is indirectly responsible for what happen to Phyllis and she changed Nick's letter creating hell for Summer.

Josh says Sharon is sick? We it's her own fault and it's her choice.

While I realize you aren't a fan of Sharon's...they are playing this true to people with mental illness. It's easy to say it's all her fault because she went off her meds but this has been a proven fact of those with mental illnesses of this kind (bi-polar/schitzophrenia) that the person NEEDS someone else who closely monitors their prescription intake.

Maurice Benard has spoken in depth on this subject and his wife makes sure he takes his medication because he says his brain tells him not to. He doesn't like the effects of the drugs so that enhances his brains insistence that "he's okay and doesn't need the drugs". But then without the drugs it's actually worse in the end.

A woman I know suffers schitzophrenia and her family can tell when she's not taking her meds. Her niece will just watch her walk into a room and go "Ahhh f*&K Aunt Kathy is off her meds" Kathy's brother-in-law died earlier this year and her sister moved her into her house so that she can ensure that her sister gets her daily dose of meds. It was getting worse and she just wouldn't take her meds when she lived alone with no one to be there daily.

So...while I understand someone who hates a character and will never see any glimmer of good in that character, this storyline is pretty true. It happens a lot. I have to commend Y&R for that. Many PSA storylines come off so poorly done but Y&R tends to flesh them out more.

Besides, it's making the storyline SO FREAKING GOOD~!!!! Michelle Stafford was leaving...what perfect way to send her off than to reveal Sharon is off her meds, switched the dna test and then when Phyllis caught her, Sharon "accidentally" knocks her down a flight of stairs!!!

SOAPY SOAPY GOODNESS FROM THE SOAP WRITING 101 MANUAL.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/23 06:36AM
    #95   2013/09/23 06:49AM
    Re:
    alikat

I should probably write a disclaimer that I have no dog in the Shick/Phyck argument. I love all three characters and watched when Cassie died and saw how Sharon and Nick grew apart (through no fault of EITHER) and also how Nick and Phyllis grew together (again, I don't think the intention to cheat was there in the beginning)

I loved BOTH couples and I like both characters. For me, the soapy goodness of the rivalry is the best for me.

And Josh Morrow all sexy and shirtless helps

#96   2013/09/23 07:20AM
    Re:
    purplehearts14

I strongly disagree with everything you've said. Sharon is mentally ill and how can a mentally ill person make rational decisions on their own. It is obvious she can't differentiate between what's real and what's not. And please, Stop blaming Sharon for Cassie's death. Thank you.

Quote Charlie Big: I understand this disease very well and what is so disgusting about Sharon is the fact that for years she has known that she is sick and her mother knew that she is sick also. Instead of being honest with the Newman's from day one, Doris just thought that maybe the Newman's could get through to this idiot and see that she got the help she needed. Sharon spent hears hiding this from Nick and the entire family. This woman had the means, the opportunity and the resources to help herself. Some of it can be her illness but I don't believe for a second that it is all about that. She knows right from wrong. Sharon has been told time and again that she needs to be on medication and she needs to be checking in with her shrink on a regualr basis and instead, she just goes off looking for the next screw to play house with. Sharon is a wallower, she always has been. She should have never been given children because without Nikki, Miquel and Nick to raise them, there is no telling where they would be. Well, we know where Cassie ended up and poor Faith! It was absolutely cruel for Sharon to lazily lay down and not care that she could be pregnant, when she was not capable of caring for a child. We also saw evidence of that when she got the child back from Ashely. Poor Faith has not had any stability in her life, other than being with Nick, since she left Ashely. I am not willing to to say that it is because of her illness that she does the things that she does at all. It may be part of it but Sharon knows what she is doing. She is just getting to old and the illness has become so pregressive that she can't control herself anymore.

When I think of the people out there who would give anything for the kind of resources that this character has and the money to help themselves and I watch this lazy wallower just slop around stalking Nick to get a screw out of him, it makes me sick. To see how she is abusing her child, that she never should have had to begin with, that is the real tragedy. Faith was born in a mental institution! If that doesn't speak loudly as to how sick Sharon is, then no one is actually listening. She wants a screw so badly that she don't care about anything else. The way that she lets herself wallow and squat on that ranch like a desperate lap dog. That is a disgrace! She burned down thier family home and yet she is still trying to force herself on them all, using her children as her meal ticket in the door. They can't stand her and yet, she holds on to Nick like a life support to stay in that family and that poor stupid idiot has yet to wake up to the truth of it all. Any other man would have put Sharon away long before now. She is a threat to society and probably to herslf, when she realizes that she can't get the screw to bandaid the problem anymore. I don't pity her and I don't see her as a victim either. I just see her as lazy and pathetic. Most mentally ill people who can get the help and don't are pathetic.

#97   2013/09/23 07:53AM
    Re:
    trinilisa

Quote Squish: What I found ironic was that she actually uttered the words "I'm not a danger to myself or others" UM, REALLY??? This is just typical Sharon behavior even with her doctor standing there telling her that her feelings of euphoria were a direct result of her "disease" and that she would inevitably have a crash. I can't feel sympathy for stupid, and Sharon's being stupid.

Ita with this post...
    f

#98   2013/09/23 08:02AM
    Re:
    trinilisa

Quote Squish:
    Quote lilie: no disrespect Yale Steam, but I don't believe anyone would choose to have a mental illness.

because if that would be the case, then it would truly be sad

I don't think Yale Steam was saying that Sharon was choosing to have a mental illness, instead I think the point is that she's choosing to not take her medicine, she's choosing to not take her doctor's advice and she's choosing to ignore that she's got an "illness" that requires constant vigilance and that has no cure, only an propensity for maintenance.

Another excellent post...

#99   2013/09/23 09:10AM
    Re:
    KeepingItReal

She is sick. Even those that are sick believe they aren't.

It's like an addict. Until they reach rock bottom they too don't believe they are an "addict".

#100   2013/09/23 10:39AM
    Re:
    quimby

Quote purplehearts14: I strongly disagree with everything you've said. Sharon is mentally ill and how can a mentally ill person make rational decisions on their own. It is obvious she can't differentiate between what's real and what's not. And please, Stop blaming Sharon for Cassie's death. Thank you.

Quote Charlie Big: I understand this disease very well and what is so disgusting about Sharon is the fact that for years she has known that she is sick and her mother knew that she is sick also. Instead of being honest with the Newman's from day one, Doris just thought that maybe the Newman's could get through to this idiot and see that she got the help she needed. Sharon spent hears hiding this from Nick and the entire family. This woman had the means, the opportunity and the resources to help herself. Some of it can be her illness but I don't believe for a second that it is all about that. She knows right from wrong. Sharon has been told time and again that she needs to be on medication and she needs to be checking in with her shrink on a regualr basis and instead, she just goes off looking for the next screw to play house with. Sharon is a wallower, she always has been. She should have never been given children because without Nikki, Miquel and Nick to raise them, there is no telling where they would be. Well, we know where Cassie ended up and poor Faith! It was absolutely cruel for Sharon to lazily lay down and not care that she could be pregnant, when she was not capable of caring for a child. We also saw evidence of that when she got the child back from Ashely. Poor Faith has not had any stability in her life, other than being with Nick, since she left Ashely. I am not willing to to say that it is because of her illness that she does the things that she does at all. It may be part of it but Sharon knows what she is doing. She is just getting to old and the illness has become so pregressive that she can't control herself anymore.

When I think of the people out there who would give anything for the kind of resources that this character has and the money to help themselves and I watch this lazy wallower just slop around stalking Nick to get a screw out of him, it makes me sick. To see how she is abusing her child, that she never should have had to begin with, that is the real tragedy. Faith was born in a mental institution! If that doesn't speak loudly as to how sick Sharon is, then no one is actually listening. She wants a screw so badly that she don't care about anything else. The way that she lets herself wallow and squat on that ranch like a desperate lap dog. That is a disgrace! She burned down thier family home and yet she is still trying to force herself on them all, using her children as her meal ticket in the door. They can't stand her and yet, she holds on to Nick like a life support to stay in that family and that poor stupid idiot has yet to wake up to the truth of it all. Any other man would have put Sharon away long before now. She is a threat to society and probably to herslf, when she realizes that she can't get the screw to bandaid the problem anymore. I don't pity her and I don't see her as a victim either. I just see her as lazy and pathetic. Most mentally ill people who can get the help and don't are pathetic.

Sharon just recently found out she has BP. Sharon and her mother have not known she was sick, so to say they knew for years is wrong. To say that people with a mental illness don't get help are pathetic, is offensive. Some don't realize that they are sick. People go off their medication for different reasons, they might not realize the effect that this might cause. I don't for one second you understand this disease or any other mental illness. I am not saying I do, but I deal with my disorder everyday so I can have compassion for someone who is struggling. I know you hate Sharon, but please be aware of what you post.

« 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list