List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Who is responsible for Sharon taking her meds?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Who is responsible for Sharon taking her meds?

Started by Yale Steam at 2013/09/16 11:44AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/17 06:36AM, Views: 1881, Replies: 67
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » »| page:
    #41   2013/09/16 09:21PM
    Re: Who is responsible for Sharon taking her meds?
    Charlie Big

This is completely Sharon's responsibility. Anyone who knows anything about mental illness and the civil rights laws, know this. It is not the doctor's responsibility to make Sharon meet her appoitments nor it is the responsibility of the doctor to force Sharon to take her meds. Sharon is in need of intense therapy and she needs to be stabilized on her meds before she can be receptive to any kind of therapy. She needs to be committed so that her doctor can watch her to make sure that she is taking the right dosage for her illness and and then to insure that she can be responsibile to continue to make her appointments and take her meds when she is on her own. This doesn't happen overnight. Sharon has some skitzo symptoms as well as Bi-Polar symptoms and it could be that her meds are not strong enough. Most all professionals realize that Bi-Polar patients almost always go off thier meds because they don't like the even feeling that it gives them. They prefer the hi's and lo's instead.

Sharon is hard headed. She is lazy. She is co-dependent and she is very irresponsible. A doctor cannot interfer in that unless the patient comes for help and asks for it. She needs to be committed to get the proper help but then again, will she admit that and ask for the help? I am not thinking that she will. I guess it will depend on the writers. But they have given her the Bi-Polar disorder and made the character hallucinate her dead child so I don't see them just giving her a pill and calling her well. That wouldn't do justice to what they have given her and I think that it would be very insensative to the condition itself.

I know it is a soap but please, I am so sick and tired of soaps making satire out of very serious conditions. It would be nice to see them do this some real justice. I would even like to see them adress the child abuse as well.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/16 09:31PM
    #42   2013/09/16 09:28PM
    Ethelmae02

Quote JRTA:
    Quote Yale Steam: Sharon is an adult. She is off her meds, it's her fault and her responsibily, no one else's.

Her being off her meds is her choice. Therefore all that she is done is her fault as sick as she may be.

Being off her meds does not excuse her or give her a free pass for all that she has done.

Yes, Sharon is responsible for taken her medication.

That said, this is NOT a simple black and white situation and painting it as such, shows a lack of understanding for the illness and the many factors involved.

But since there is no interest to understand the illness and just to bash the character, I won't waste my time.
    its not about bashing the character but sending a message to viewers who are BP that its okay to use it as an excuse to commit crimes and expect to get away with them cause you have a mental disorder. No one excused Patty Williams for her crimes did they? she is now in prison for what she did and she is indeed mentally ill but oh since its Sharon, dont bash her. Wrong!

#43   2013/09/16 09:30PM
    Ethelmae02

Quote mahina: In this bipolar situation isn't the doctor supposed to follow up on her patients? Some people (not all) with this illness need someone to look after them and unfortunately Sharon is all alone.
    Sharon has the means and insurance to seek out a doctor and fess up what is going on. Noah is her son not her keeper. She knows what she is doing and not taking her meds and the consequences of those actions. She is an adult and its time she act like one.

#44   2013/09/16 09:33PM
    Ethelmae02

Quote mahina:
    Quote trinilisa:
    Quote mahina: In this bipolar situation isn't the doctor supposed to follow up on her patients? Some people (not all) with this illness need someone to look after them and unfortunately Sharon is all alone.

She seemed to be upset with the doctor when she tried to talk to her about her fear of being alone and constant need for a man, as well as her recommendation to stay away from Nick and Adam, plus she has gone against everything that the doctor has advised her. So I'm not sure the doctor has any sort of influence on her, and she doesn't have the need to see a doctor because she's obsessed with Nick right now...she wants Dr. Nick...

I hate how the writers make Sharon out to be so needy or obsessed of Adam and Nick. It would' be nice if its platonic. Then the s/l can play out more realistic. Love Cassie but the ghost is a big joke.
    Ive been watching Sharon since she first came to town and the character has always been clingy and needy and needing a man to rescue and save her. Whats changed now? she is one and the same since her debut on the canvas. For the longest Victor was her most fierce defender and Im glad that is over with cause their relationship was sleazy to me how they hovered over each other and he took her side against his son and his wife lots of times. Now he is done with her but its too late. Lesson well learned huh Victor?

#45   2013/09/16 09:37PM
    Ethelmae02

Quote mahina:
    Quote JRTA:

In the ideal world, the answer to your question would be yes. But this isn't an ideal world and this is a complex illness (nevermind that it's a soap, and it's about the drama). There is only so much the Dr can do, and only so much they can do in regards to their patient and getting them to comply with therapy.

The other thing is, the diagnosis is new. Less then a year. It can take years for an individual to find stability but first they have to accept the diagnosis of having Bipolar disorder and that IMO, hasn't happened here.

Thank you for explaining JRTA. I didn't know the diagnosis can take that long. Youre right this is only a soap. I would love it if they cure Sharon tomorrow or say she has a brain tumor instead. Because it is so sad to read all the ignorant posts.
    "ignorant posts? I thought poster bashing was against the rules on this board? its no need to insult those posters who are expressing their opinions whether you agree or not. Its no need to insult people cause you dont share their opinions. I highly doubt posters who post here are ignorant,etc. You can always avoid threads which you deem "ignorant" as well.

#46   2013/09/16 09:39PM
    Ethelmae02

Quote KeepingItReal: It's fine to gloss over the facts what her bipolar actions could of caused a death.

It fine to gloss over the fact that her bipolar actions tore a young woman's life apart and even her own daughters.

It's time for this character to be dealt with good and proper.....the same place that she's been avoiding is where she needs to be....#PSYCHIATRICWARD
    good answer. Glossing over the facts isnt solving anything. Sharon is a danger to society, her daughter and herself. She needs to be committed period. Noah needs to speak up and go chat with her daughter on what he suspects not ignore the warning signs.

#47   2013/09/16 09:44PM
    Ethelmae02

Quote KeepingItReal: Sharon is responsible for the fall..

1st she never should of been in the stairwell with Phyllis....if she never followed Phyllis to stop her from telling the "truth"

2nd...it was because of the struggle for the phone....which did not belong to Sharon....why Phyllis fell.

Now if Sharon was not in that stairwell and did not try taking that phone from Phyllis....Phyllis would of fallen.

Much less, she left the woman there for dead and even took her lipstick cause she thought it was hers.

Just by Sharon actions....the sequence of events took place.....

Yep, I did the math...

Now if you subtract Sharon out of that equations...Phyllis would be here.

But that not the topic...it all about who is responsible for Sharon taking her meds.....that is Sharon.

What I don't understand is her blantant lieing about taking them....or did she just space out and forget.

She just seems too calculating......like those psycho's on Criminal Minds.
    well said and explained very good. Sharon left a hurt and injured person who fell down concrete stairs and possibly had internal injuries. She couldve at least called 911 anomymously but didnt. She left the scene of a accident which she was partially responsible for just by arguing and tossling with Phylis near a stairwell. she committed a crime by tampering with a document.

#48   2013/09/16 09:47PM
    Ethelmae02

Quote KeepingItReal: When Sharon burnt down the house she should of been institutionalize...she was a threat to society and herself.

I'm thankful this is not real as if this was.....she would be locked up in a facility and monitored.
    right again. What if someone was upstairs when she started that fire? she didnt search the entire house and its wings before she set it afire>she couldve killed alot of staff living there. Adam, Nick and Noah covering up that crime served no purpose except to keep her from getting the help she needed and gloss things over.

#49   2013/09/16 09:49PM
    Ethelmae02

Quote trinilisa:
    Quote KeepingItReal: Sharon is responsible for the fall..

1st she never should of been in the stairwell with Phyllis....if she never followed Phyllis to stop her from telling the "truth"

2nd...it was because of the struggle for the phone....which did not belong to Sharon....why Phyllis fell.

Now if Sharon was not in that stairwell and did not try taking that phone from Phyllis....Phyllis would of fallen.

Much less, she left the woman there for dead and even took her lipstick cause she thought it was hers.

Just by Sharon actions....the sequence of events took place.....

Yep, I did the math...

Now if you subtract Sharon out of that equations...Phyllis would be here.

But that not the topic...it all about who is responsible for Sharon taking her meds.....that is Sharon.

What I don't understand is her blantant lieing about taking them....or did she just space out and forget.

She just seems too calculating......like those psycho's on Criminal Minds.

And she sure seems to know how to turn her "illness" on and off.... oh yeah. She is smart enough to hide it and pretend all is well. She does know right from wrong. She knows how to contact and reach out to her doctor who will hold her secrets and confessions but she dont want the help. You have to want help.

#50   2013/09/16 09:55PM
    Ethelmae02

Quote LJMOM812:
    Quote JRTA:
    Quote LJMOM812:
    Quote JRTA:

In the ideal world, the answer to your question would be yes. But this isn't an ideal world and this is a complex illness (nevermind that it's a soap, and it's about the drama). There is only so much the Dr can do, and only so much they can do in regards to their patient and getting them to comply with therapy.

The other thing is, the diagnosis is new. Less then a year. It can take years for an individual to find stability but first they have to accept the diagnosis of having Bipolar disorder and that IMO, hasn't happened here.

I appreciate your intelligent and rational posts, JRTA. I was also wondering about Sharon's Doctor. If a patient isn't making her appointments or seems to be off her meds., does the doctor need to inform family members? Especially with Sharon's history, i.e. the fire. I am wondering why we haven't seen the doctor in so long. This part of the s/l doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks

Patient confidentiality still applies. Unless the patient signs off, the Dr is limited on what can be done. Unless the Dr sees an immediate danger, which she didn't in May, she can't force Sharon to do anything, nor can she discuss Sharon's case with family. I am Bipolar and I have to sign a consent to release with my psychiatrist and support worker yearly for them to speak to my husband and other care providers. I know it also took me two years to accept my diagnosis and take my meds and therapy seriously.

As for the Y&R, they will bring the dr in when it suits s/l, and right now, it doesn't. Drama over reality.

Thanks for sharing. I think so many people are ignorant of BPD--me included. I hope that once Sharon's doc is back involved, there will be some clarification and education on what she has been going through so the viewers will understand the reasons behind her behaviors. I thought I heard her doctor will be back on Friday--can't wait! Thanks again for being open about your own personal experience. I am sorry there is so much ignorance and insensitivity out there!
    once again, will you refrain from calling posters ignorant. Her doctor cannot help someone who refuses to face the truth and SC is not BP but her character on a soap. Y&R has dealt with everything from rape, murder, child stealing, you name it. Sharon Newman isnt the first character to suffer mental illness on this show. Where was the education for Patty Williams? oh thats right she isnt Sharon and she should pity her. The mods need to see your posts on poster bashing posters

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list