List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Let's be honest

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Let's be honest

Started by weatherholt3 at 2013/09/08 08:23AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/10 07:52AM, Views: 2147, Replies: 25
    « 1 2 3 » »| page:
    #11   2013/09/08 12:24PM
    Re: Let's be honest
    weatherholt3

Quote Kelby: I agree with much of your honesty. The truth is, the veterans are what make the show because the writers who wrote for those characters for so many years were so good. They truly developed those characters and made you love everything about them....good and bad. Unfortunately, the newer characters do not get the same. You see bits and pieces, but nothing great. There lies the problem. I would love and embrace most of the new characters and recasts more, if they were developed and were decent actors. Some of them are alright actors and some really bl.w. The veterans need new stories as well. Jes.s, the writers could open up a newspaper and get a great storyline. They can not even be that creative.

I agree I wish they could find more writers like there use to be there was some great storylines and characters.

#12   2013/09/08 12:37PM
    weatherholt3

[quote]Quote laurie6: I agree with most of what you said except for Sharon being thrown under the bus by the Newmans,Sharon has caused all of her own problems and needs to take responsibility for them, IMO that is where a lot of her bashing comes from because she is always excused for her behavior and it is always blamed on someone else. A lot of the stories on here are repeat but in the past they were written a lot better and newbies didn't just take over. I don't want any of the vets off the show they are the ones who made it worth watching for so long, I just don't know how much longer this soap will last with the way it is being written right now.IMO[/quote]

[quote]Quote laurie6: I agree with most of what you said except for Sharon being thrown under the bus by the Newmans,Sharon has caused all of her own problems and needs to take responsibility for them, IMO that is where a lot of her bashing comes from because she is always excused for her behavior and it is always blamed on someone else.

No body has to agree with what I said but I did ask this not to be turned into a love/hate bashing and this is what you did with this comment there is enough of this in other threads.... this is about the VETS and basically what to do with them next without rewriting or should I say reusing the storylines and history of the show without losing our VETS.

#13   2013/09/08 01:30PM
    ski lady

OP You made some great points. The vets, in general, are my faves, but I've watched since the beginning.

As for Sharon, I don't think she needs to leave, but the writing for her has been outrageous, ever since hooking up with Adam after the Faith ordeal. Most characters go through periods of falling off the wagon, have an affair, or do something else out of character. Sharon has hooked up with her baby thief, escaped from jail, let her family believe she was dead for months, married and bedded more men than I care to remember, including her former father image, father-in-law, let people believe he was dead, burned down his home, stole the reins of his corporation, became Adam's call-girl, changed Summer's paternity results, etc, etc, etc. No character in the history of the show can hold a candle to Sharon's deviant behavior. She was always my fave, but I'm so sick of all this and the Summer paternity switch has almost turned me into a Shater. It is unfair to the actress because she has lost a lot of fans and Shaters hate her more now than ever. She should have had ups and downs like every other character, but instead she has had about 4 years of all down. I hope so much that the Navery wedding is the end of Sharon's destruction and the beginning of her recovery and rehabilitation!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/08 01:33PM
    #14   2013/09/08 01:44PM
    ladycam

No character should be one dimensional Sharon certainly isn't. Many complain she was destroyed am considering what's written for her now as destruction. Became a fan of hers through Adam no matter what any one says. If she remain the sweet loving caring Sharon her character wouldn't be where it is today. And there is no challenge in being that kind of character.The biggest mistake this regime made was given her a diagnosis of mental illness. Sharon has being on a wild ride now I like to see her settled. But she played many different roles and nothing is wrong with that.

#15   2013/09/08 02:28PM
    laurie6

Quote ladycam: No character should be one dimensional Sharon certainly isn't. Many complain she was destroyed am considering what's written for her now as destruction. Became a fan of hers through Adam no matter what any one says. If she remain the sweet loving caring Sharon her character wouldn't be where it is today. And there is no challenge in being that kind of character.The biggest mistake this regime made was given her a diagnosis of mental illness. Sharon has being on a wild ride now I like to see her settled. But she played many different roles and nothing is wrong with that.

I liked the way Sharon was with Adam in the beginning she had more of a backbone and didn't let anyone run her life, That is where I wish they would go with her. Right now she is the most used vet IMO and while that is great for SC the writers are just throwing way to much at her and they are ruining her character for most people. She is the only one I watch for and right now that is hard to do, I wish they would say she was diagnosed wrong and she has a brain tumor so the writers can't always make her the crazy one when they want to. SN is a great part of this show to me and I don't want her going any where.

#16   2013/09/08 02:35PM
    laurie6

[quote]Quote weatherholt3: [quote]Quote laurie6: I agree with most of what you said except for Sharon being thrown under the bus by the Newmans,Sharon has caused all of her own problems and needs to take responsibility for them, IMO that is where a lot of her bashing comes from because she is always excused for her behavior and it is always blamed on someone else. A lot of the stories on here are repeat but in the past they were written a lot better and newbies didn't just take over. I don't want any of the vets off the show they are the ones who made it worth watching for so long, I just don't know how much longer this soap will last with the way it is being written right now.IMO[/quote]

[quote]Quote laurie6: I agree with most of what you said except for Sharon being thrown under the bus by the Newmans,Sharon has caused all of her own problems and needs to take responsibility for them, IMO that is where a lot of her bashing comes from because she is always excused for her behavior and it is always blamed on someone else.

No body has to agree with what I said but I did ask this not to be turned into a love/hate bashing and this is what you did with this comment there is enough of this in other threads.... this is about the VETS and basically what to do with them next without rewriting or should I say reusing the storylines and history of the show without losing our VETS.[/quote]

This wasn't meant as a bash towards Sharon just how I see her, IMO there will always be recycled S/L's but it is the way they are written that will either make us like or hate them, These writers seem to want us to hate all the characters on this show because from what I see they are all getting bashed right now. I hope the writers aren't stupid enough to think that they could get rid of the vets and keep this show on the air, I think the problem is we need new writers who actually care about the vets on the show and know the history so they could write believable s/l's.

#17   2013/09/08 03:57PM
    PurrrrrrrKitty

[quote]Quote weatherholt3: [quote]Quote laurie6: I agree with most of what you said except for Sharon being thrown under the bus by the Newmans,Sharon has caused all of her own problems and needs to take responsibility for them, IMO that is where a lot of her bashing comes from because she is always excused for her behavior and it is always blamed on someone else. A lot of the stories on here are repeat but in the past they were written a lot better and newbies didn't just take over. I don't want any of the vets off the show they are the ones who made it worth watching for so long, I just don't know how much longer this soap will last with the way it is being written right now.IMO[/quote]

No body has to agree with what I said but I did ask this not to be turned into a love/hate bashing and this is what you did with this comment there is enough of this in other threads.... this is about the VETS and basically what to do with them next without rewriting or should I say reusing the storylines and history of the show without losing our VETS.[/quote]

I agree with you totally.. and have posted much of what you have said and have almost been run off the board..lol.

The vets have done every story line known on a soap at least a dozen times.. enough is enough.. NOOO, I don't think they should leave.. but they need to take a back seat..

The biggest problem to me, is that the 2nd generation was NEVER developed.. to replace them.. until very recently..
    When I started watching Y&R, the vets were the age of the
    2nd generation... but, I have watched the vets grow old. To me, they cannot play "leading roles" any longer.

It is very much like real life.. our children replace us whether we like it or not..lol..

I just want to see the 2nd generation given a real chance.. and interact with the Vets.. bring on new faces that are
    younger than the 2nd generation who are connected in some way or create a whole new family.. and have them in the wings.

Sharon? again, a character that has been around a very long time.. created by Bill Bell to be the girl from across the track.. who married the rich kid.. and tries to conform..
    We have seen Sharon change many times.. but she would.. she cannot stay that sweet, naive girl forever.. she has grown up.. changed .. some for the better and some for the worse..
    it makes her character have depth..

MAB did more destruction to Sharon than anyone did.. so, I don't see how she can get any worse.. I see them trying to bring her out of the sewage and give her some character.. but it will take quite a while.. She is deep in doo-doo.. lol.. but I have hope..

It has given SCase a chance of broad acting over the years.
    She probably has loved it.

Those Vets cannot carry the show any longer.. no matter how much the fans want it..

#18   2013/09/08 04:49PM
    Kelby

I disagree. The vets are the only thing that does drive the show anymore. Many of the vets are tired and need to be more supporting. The problem is, the sh.tty writers have not developed the youth well enough. They need to get on it ASAP. Sharon has always needed to evolve, like all characters. Not like this though. The writers have taken such an extreme route. At this point she is going to kill herself or someone else. It is a bit wild. I hate to see this kind of evolution with her. The problem is the writers are simply sensational with everyone and everything now. They can not be trusted. They have made a joke out of every character on the show. B.stards! Too many garbage years of writing. It has hurt the show immeasurably.

#19   2013/09/08 05:17PM
    PurrrrrrrKitty

Too many garbage years of writing. It has hurt the show immeasurably.[/quote]

Wow, I could not agree more.. But that happens to all soaps when the creator leaves..it slowly goes down hill.. I watched ATWT since the 50's.. and I watched it in the ditch more times than I want to remember.. The ONLY writer that was good was Douglas McFarland and he suddenly died when he had it almost back on track.

I think Agnes Nixon created ATWT and Guiding Light.. when she died.. and many writers took over.. they changed both of those soaps until they were written off.

I don't know if thuis will happen to Y&R or not.. time will tell... it is also a different time.. Soaps are not as popular as they once were..

I was young when I started watching soaps.. but young people today.. don't give a fig about Soaps.. they are into "reality" and "Crime" shows.. My two children HAVE NEVER watched Soaps.. they think they are beyond stupid., where as I do not relate to their "science fiction" world.

I get the feeling that the new regime is "trying" to capture the younger set.. but I don't know if they can do that.. I really doubt it.. it is almost impossible to get a whole new set of "new" viewers..

The real fans of Y&R are older people or people who started watching with their grand mothers.. etc..

I have loved and enjoyed them since the 50's, but I see them coming to an end, no matter who writes them.

#20   2013/09/08 05:54PM
    ThornsandRoses

[quote]Quote PurrrrrrrKitty: Too many garbage years of writing. It has hurt the show immeasurably.[/quote]

Wow, I could not agree more.. But that happens to all soaps when the creator leaves..it slowly goes down hill.. I watched ATWT since the 50's.. and I watched it in the ditch more times than I want to remember.. The ONLY writer that was good was Douglas McFarland and he suddenly died when he had it almost back on track.

I think Agnes Nixon created ATWT and Guiding Light.. when she died.. and many writers took over.. they changed both of those soaps until they were written off.

I don't know if thuis will happen to Y&R or not.. time will tell... it is also a different time.. Soaps are not as popular as they once were..

I was young when I started watching soaps.. but young people today.. don't give a fig about Soaps.. they are into "reality" and "Crime" shows.. My two children HAVE NEVER watched Soaps.. they think they are beyond stupid., where as I do not relate to their "science fiction" world.

I get the feeling that the new regime is "trying" to capture the younger set.. but I don't know if they can do that.. I really doubt it.. it is almost impossible to get a whole new set of "new" viewers..

The real fans of Y&R are older people or people who started watching with their grand mothers.. etc..

I have loved and enjoyed them since the 50's, but I see them coming to an end, no matter who writes them.[/quote]

I think you nailed it. For some reason, it seems Sony is mainly interested in the 18-49 year olds. I am in my late 50s and have a lot more free cash than my kids and grand-kids. I don't know why Sony doesn't get that. I don't know how the online soaps are doing, but I would never sit and watch a soap or any other show day after day on a computer. I'm also not into what is on my computer showing up on my TV, so I think the fantasy world of the soap is going to end in my house in the not too distant future. Y&R is the only soap I've watched in years, and I am not sure how much longer that is going to last whether it is still aired or not. (Not necessarily in order of demise) Atari, Commodore Computers, Woolworth's, Montgomery Wards, Spiegel, Circuit City, Borders Books, Eastern Airlines, PanAm, Studebaker, Packard, Edge of Night, Search for Tomorrow, Guiding Light, As the World Turns. Names most people in my age group in the U.S. are very familiar with. Is Y&R far behind?

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/08 05:56PM
    « 1 2 3 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list