List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: After that disrespectful funeral for Katherine....

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

After that disrespectful funeral for Katherine....

Started by Kelby at 2013/09/05 10:37AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/08 11:35AM, Views: 3320, Replies: 32
    « 1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #21   2013/09/06 06:11AM
    Re: After that disrespectful funeral for Katherine....
    Tdotchickie

Quote Paggie:
    Quote Kelby: They dumbed that funeral down enough to brainwash the two viewers that are still watching regularly, to think it was the way Katherine would have wanted it. That is what I think.

I'm one of the two viewers who was obviously "brainwashed" into appreciating the wonderful and genuinely heartfelt tribute to a unique woman. It was absolutely what Katharine wanted. For those who have followed the scripts carefully and understand the essence of Katharine Chancellor there would be no doubt. She orchestrated this event. She wanted a celebration not tears. And that's what Janice Ferri Esser - a former Bill Bell script writer - brought to the page for these two special episodes. No wonder they felt like a blast from the past!

The attendees were those closest to Katharine's heart and per her wishes wore clothes to celebrate not morn. Nikki even removed Victor's dark tie to remind him of that!

As Peter Bergaman said recently the show was a "gift" to long time viewers. A wonderful retrospective of the complexities of Katharine's character within the confines of what was possible production wise. It was never intended to be a crash course in Kay's history for newer viewers.

DD and LLB said in their recent interview that they too were initially taken by surprise by the wedding script within the memorial but then realized this was Katharine's gift to them - new life emerging from a death.

As a brainwashed viewer I "get it". Furthermore I appreciated the long hours, the tears and the emotional toll both infront of the camera and behind that went into making this loving tribute.

Seems as if Katharine was well pleased with the way things turned out. She didn't seem to feel disrespected at the end of the day. I saw her smiling!

I guess that makes me the other longtime viewer who was brainwashed. I thought it was an amazing two day tribute to a wonderful character. Loved all the clips from the past and the touching speeches. Jill was outstanding, her speech was at times difficult but so honest, it was beautiful. The wedding kind of had me scratching my head, but again - the characters essence made it understandable. With all the stuff on the show I haven't liked in the last little while TPTB got it right this time. A new set "Chancellor Park" was genius in keeping Katherine's presence on the show.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/06 06:15AM
    #22   2013/09/06 06:38AM
    taramartin

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the last time we saw Danny when he came to town and slept with Cricket as though they were star crossed lovers? No wonder he looked sick at the Memorial /wedding. We've barely seen Paul with Cricket lately so I wasn't feeling the love. Paul is a good actor so he seemed to show happiness but it otherwise seemed like a misplaced farce. People in GC get married and divorced faster than any soap I've ever watched. I know they can't live happily ever after but they barely develop the relationships.

#23   2013/09/06 07:50AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote taramartin: Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the last time we saw Danny when he came to town and slept with Cricket as though they were star crossed lovers? No wonder he looked sick at the Memorial /wedding. We've barely seen Paul with Cricket lately so I wasn't feeling the love. Paul is a good actor so he seemed to show happiness but it otherwise seemed like a misplaced farce. People in GC get married and divorced faster than any soap I've ever watched. I know they can't live happily ever after but they barely develop the relationships.

I don't think these writers are capable of writing a good love story. They are excellent at ripping couples apart for no reason. But a love story, nope, not in them.

#24   2013/09/06 10:31AM
    Kelby

Quote Paggie:
    Quote Kelby:
    Quote Paggie:
    Quote Kelby: They dumbed that funeral down enough to brainwash the two viewers that are still watching regularly, to think it was the way Katherine would have wanted it. That is what I think.

I'm one of the two viewers who was obviously "brainwashed" into appreciating the wonderful and genuinely heartfelt tribute to a unique woman. It was absolutely what Katharine wanted. For those who have followed the scripts carefully and understand the essence of Katharine Chancellor there would be no doubt. She orchestrated this event. She wanted a celebration not tears. And that's what Janice Ferri Esser - a former Bill Bell script writer - brought to the page for these two special episodes. No wonder they felt like a blast from the past!

The attendees were those closest to Katharine's heart and per her wishes wore clothes to celebrate not morn. Nikki even removed Victor's dark tie to remind him of that!

As Peter Bergaman said recently the show was a "gift" to long time viewers. A wonderful retrospective of the complexities of Katharine's character within the confines of what was possible production wise. It was never intended to be a crash course in Kay's history for newer viewers.

DD and LLB said in their recent interview that they too were initially taken by surprise by the wedding script within the memorial but then realized this was Katharine's gift to them - new life emerging from a death.

As a brainwashed viewer I "get it". Furthermore I appreciated the long hours, the tears and the emotional toll both infront of the camera and behind that went into making this loving tribute.

Seems as if Katharine was well pleased with the way things turned out. She didn't seem to feel disrespected at the end of the day. I saw her smiling!

I guess my question is this....Do you think the actors that are currently with the show, even if they are not currently with it, are going to say anything negative about something that should have been a fantastic memorial. No, they are not. Whether it was one of Bill Bell's script writers or not, it was not his influence. He may have influenced her in some ways, but he did not have a profound impact on that funeral. His version would have been totally different. If the actors had had any creative control, it would have been way better. I guarantee they had no or very little creative control and that is a shame. Seeing as how these writers are new to this show that would have been a smart move I think. Honestly, the people who mostly post on this board are still fans of the show whether it is good or not. When it is horrible, they still say it is good. The real reviews from die hard fans of yester year or even today are out and about. Social media and all. People were not pleased with that slack. The thought was great. The execution p.ss poor. I am Y&Rs biggest fan and supporter. Not when it is stupid though. Call it what it is. A mess.

Obviously our opinions differ. Opinions are just that. A matter of personal perspective. You call it a mess - I call it a lovingly produced tribute which enterained me, made me reflect, made me nostalgic and made me grab the kleenexes. If yours is the more popular and valid perspective out there on social - then so be it.
    I'll leave the negativity to those who are better at critiquing than I am. I have the advantage of two hours well spent and happy memories.

Well, somebody enjoyed it. You did. Nobody I know personally, that saw it, liked it. Somebody's watching this show. It is still on the air. I guess they are doing enough right for the networks to justify being on. The decrease, the decline completely baffles me. But, that is the way it has been and it is obviously going to be. I honestly got teary at one point, but the moment got lost. Ultimately, we should all love the show and see it in a positive light. I just have to be given a reason here.

#25   2013/09/06 11:21AM
    Cuid1

Quote taramartin: Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the last time we saw Danny when he came to town and slept with Cricket as though they were star crossed lovers? No wonder he looked sick at the Memorial /wedding. We've barely seen Paul with Cricket lately so I wasn't feeling the love. Paul is a good actor so he seemed to show happiness but it otherwise seemed like a misplaced farce. People in GC get married and divorced faster than any soap I've ever watched. I know they can't live happily ever after but they barely develop the relationships.
    If you know Paul and Christine's history, you would have known that there relationship is fully developed. Like someone else said, occasions like these are made for the older viewers who know about this couple with a strong and solid past. There is no need for them to do all that lovey dovey honeymoon phase courtship stuff. They already went through that back in the 90s when they first fell in love. They had a relationship from 1994, got married in 1996. Divorced on 2001 because Michael Baldwin plotted Isabella to break them up. Yes, the relationship is very developed. Basicaly, they are just tieing up loose ends and continuing where they left off.

#26   2013/09/06 02:24PM
    Gideon58

I don't know if you're aware, but the current executive producer of the show is new to the position and I don't even think has been there a year yet. She knows very little about Y&r and its history so I was actually shocked that Jeanne Cooper/Katherine Chancellor's death actually got the attention it did.

#27   2013/09/06 04:00PM
    On a Clear Day

I liked the tone and feeling of both memorial episodes and enjoyed seeing a few old faces from long ago. I just wish there had been more old cast members there. There were too few guests there to be believable, and when some spoke they went on too much about themselves or all the negative things about Katherine, or traded inappropriate jabs at each other. It seemed like the writers were using the service to fill in history for newer viewers. A memorial service usually honors a person and their good deeds more.

I liked the song Michael Damien (Danny) sang in the beginning of the 1st episode. I thought it was great playing in the background. It was good to see his sister, Gina, there also. They are a blast from the past.

I know most complain about the Y&R ghosts but I didn't mind seeing John and Kay pop in. Cassie may as well have dropped in too!

Corbin Bersen did a great job as Father Todd, Paul's brother. Knowing he is Jeanne Cooper's real life son, it was neat to watch him do the service and relate to the cast. You could tell some of it was genuine like when he and Paul hugged in Paul's office. It seemed like they knew it was the end of an era.

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/06 04:05PM
    #28   2013/09/06 08:50PM
    Kelby

Quote On a Clear Day: I liked the tone and feeling of both memorial episodes and enjoyed seeing a few old faces from long ago. I just wish there had been more old cast members there. There were too few guests there to be believable, and when some spoke they went on too much about themselves or all the negative things about Katherine, or traded inappropriate jabs at each other. It seemed like the writers were using the service to fill in history for newer viewers. A memorial service usually honors a person and their good deeds more.

I liked the song Michael Damien (Danny) sang in the beginning of the 1st episode. I thought it was great playing in the background. It was good to see his sister, Gina, there also. They are a blast from the past.

I know most complain about the Y&R ghosts but I didn't mind seeing John and Kay pop in. Cassie may as well have dropped in too!

Corbin Bersen did a great job as Father Todd, Paul's brother. Knowing he is Jeanne Cooper's real life son, it was neat to watch him do the service and relate to the cast. You could tell some of it was genuine like when he and Paul hugged in Paul's office. It seemed like they knew it was the end of an era.

I liked what you said in your post about a funeral should honor the deceased good deeds. There was plenty of time before the funeral to show footage of everyone's interactions with Katherine, good and bad. Whether that be catfights, custody battles, drunkedness, etc. The funeral was not the place to do that. Major scr.w up of the writers.

#29   2013/09/06 09:48PM
    Rebel556

Thanks, Kelby. I think all of us could do a better job than the writers because we know the characters and how they think.

#30   2013/09/07 04:39AM
    Monsoon

Quote Homesick Cajun:

I don't think these writers are capable of writing a good love story. They are excellent at ripping couples apart for no reason. But a love story, nope, not in them.

They really can't write a love story.. or an interesting story for that matter.. they don't know how to write likable characters either.

« 1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list