List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: YR40 Ratings same; Viewership Down

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

YR40 Ratings same; Viewership Down

Started by MsSuperSuds at 2013/08/30 11:24AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/09 09:59AM, Views: 3311, Replies: 51
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:
    #21   2013/09/02 05:00AM
    Re: YR40 Ratings same; Viewership Down
    Bossier

Quote billsboy: I hate to say this but when Lynn Marie Latham was writing the show (and it was bad then) it was NOT as BAD as it is now.

LML was not the best writer but she could at least write characters and couples we cared about. This writing team has destroyed almost all of the characters and ALL of the couples.. there is no one to cheer for at all anymore.. they are all so vile and nasty.

#22   2013/09/02 05:02AM
    Bossier

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote MsSuperSuds:
    Quote Kelby:
    Quote MsSuperSuds: If the rumors are true about Dylan being Nikki's long lost son just to attach him to a prominent family, I think this is going to be a huge mistake for Y&R to make. Sorassing children too quickly and shaking up the family trees has already caused enough grief and altered the history of the show drastically. Everybody in town does not have to related to each other or connected to some rich, prominent family to be a character of importance. Just write some good stories please! I want to see what this does for the ratings--if it is true.

Your post is so on the money. I agree with you whole heartedly.

Oldtimers & hardcore Y&R fans are getting excited about this Dylan/Nikki hookup as mother & son; b/c it gives MTS a storyline & puts her on the frontburner again. BUT I agree with Nelson Branco. This storyline is not about Nikki at all. Once Dylan is established as Nikki's son, this is all about Dylan & his life & times in GC. Nikki is a vet who is being used to give the character of Dylan some credence and a reason to eat & usurp the frontburner of Y&R alive. JFP is going to see that this happens unless the fans do not respond in a positive manner to it.

No, this s/l is not about MTS at all. The fans have been quite vocal about the possibility of this s/l and they are not happy about it. My biggest problem with it is not so much the rewriting of history as it is JFP's means to an end, using the death of Jeanne Cooper to take the opportunity to make Dylan (SB) a member of a core family. This s/l should be about JC but JFP has to include SB in the mix and that is just not right. He doesn't deserve to be any part of this s/l. He has not earned that right. This should be about the vets exclusively and how JC impacted their lives. Not how JFP can now make Dylan Nikki's long lost son.

True.. MTS will be a minor player in the story is my guess.. it will be all about Dullan.

#23   2013/09/02 05:47AM
    JBosh

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote MsSuperSuds:
    Quote Kelby:
    Quote MsSuperSuds: If the rumors are true about Dylan being Nikki's long lost son just to attach him to a prominent family, I think this is going to be a huge mistake for Y&R to make. Sorassing children too quickly and shaking up the family trees has already caused enough grief and altered the history of the show drastically. Everybody in town does not have to related to each other or connected to some rich, prominent family to be a character of importance. Just write some good stories please! I want to see what this does for the ratings--if it is true.

Your post is so on the money. I agree with you whole heartedly.

Oldtimers & hardcore Y&R fans are getting excited about this Dylan/Nikki hookup as mother & son; b/c it gives MTS a storyline & puts her on the frontburner again. BUT I agree with Nelson Branco. This storyline is not about Nikki at all. Once Dylan is established as Nikki's son, this is all about Dylan & his life & times in GC. Nikki is a vet who is being used to give the character of Dylan some credence and a reason to eat & usurp the frontburner of Y&R alive. JFP is going to see that this happens unless the fans do not respond in a positive manner to it.

No, this s/l is not about MTS at all. The fans have been quite vocal about the possibility of this s/l and they are not happy about it. My biggest problem with it is not so much the rewriting of history as it is JFP's means to an end, using the death of Jeanne Cooper to take the opportunity to make Dylan (SB) a member of a core family. This s/l should be about JC but JFP has to include SB in the mix and that is just not right. He doesn't deserve to be any part of this s/l. He has not earned that right. This should be about the vets exclusively and how JC impacted their lives. Not how JFP can now make Dylan Nikki's long lost son.

I love this post, I was gonna say the exact same thing that they used mrs c's death to there advantage by involving dylan, this really taints some of the legacy of y&r with this move, why viewers pay attention if the writers will just rewrite history to there advantage, makes no sense to watch it,if this happens. Also one more thing, by JFP putting dylan everywhere isn't gonna make us like him quite the opposite by the way, we feel as if ,how can a reject from general hospital be front burner for so long but veterans who paid there dues on this show is back burned for him.Its not fair for us to be subjected to dylan, why what did we do to deserve this torture.
    What a way to taint MRS. Coopers legacy on y&r, way to go JFP!!!! The soap killer strikes again!!!!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/02 05:52AM
    #24   2013/09/02 09:12AM
    MsSuperSuds

I had no idea that Thursday's episode was not going to be included as a segment of the dedication & memorial for Katherine Chancellor's death. To throw Dylan's paternity in to piggyback off such a special occasion for the cast, crew & viewers is unforgivable. That is one angle of this whole scenario that I missed. So in addition to using Nikki to get attached to a prominent family & usurp huge amounts of screen time, this Dylan connection to Nikki & the Newmans is going to use Kay's memorial as a springboard. What an awful thing to do!! I agree that Kay's final chapter on the show should not end w/ a beginning for a newby who is going to be the focus of the show from now until--whenever. I can't see the vets, core or other current cast members being too happy about that move. We shall see how well that is received by the viewers. Oh well, This is JFP's baby now w/o JG to blame.

If 3 million viewers were lost during the TWC/cbs conflict, nothing close to that number shows up as a loss in the ratings for Y&R. At least not the ones I have posted here. So far, I cannot see a direct connection to the loss of customers due to the conflict and the loss of viewership. Perhaps Y&R is using the viewership from TGVN or counting the tweets from twitter to use in the ratings somehow to make up for the losses from the conflict. Or maybe the losses will begin to show up soon.

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/02 09:20AM
    #25   2013/09/02 09:52AM
    TwoOfEach

Tuesday and Weds are clearly about the Memorial. We might get more on the riddle left for Jill and the content of Nikki's letter this week, but Dylan won't be wrapped into that s/l until after the Connor paternity reveal plays out.

#26   2013/09/02 10:40AM
    luvroflife

Don't think argument that TWC/CBS blackout valid. The blackout started 8/2 and any fall out was reflected in the ratings for week of 8/2 - 8/9. It would not cause additional weekly drops since that date due to all affected viewers not having access since 8/2.

Some viewers are just weary of the 'rinse & repeat' s/ls; the trashing of characters to force plots; little to no backstory to support the newbies that are now front and center. Lazy, unimaginative writing. All characters dumbed down for shock purposes.

This show has an opportunity to change daytime and bring soaps forward (if they cared); bring in s/ls that reflect current day. The overuse of "WTD" and "weak ADULTS constantly behaving juvenile to get someone in the sack" isn't attracting the desired demo. Everyone is not good, understand, but everyone is not and does not have to be bad.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/02 10:42AM
    #27   2013/09/02 12:29PM
    MsSuperSuds

Quote luvroflife: Don't think argument that TWC/CBS blackout valid. The blackout started 8/2 and any fall out was reflected in the ratings for week of 8/2 - 8/9. It would not cause additional weekly drops since that date due to all affected viewers not having access since 8/2.

Some viewers are just weary of the 'rinse & repeat' s/ls; the trashing of characters to force plots; little to no backstory to support the newbies that are now front and center. Lazy, unimaginative writing. All characters dumbed down for shock purposes.

This show has an opportunity to change daytime and bring soaps forward (if they cared); bring in s/ls that reflect current day. The overuse of "WTD" and "weak ADULTS constantly behaving juvenile to get someone in the sack" isn't attracting the desired demo. Everyone is not good, understand, but everyone is not and does not have to be bad.

Great Post! I totally agree with you that none of these external events have an effect on the ratings for Y&R. Holidays happen, summer vacations start & end, pre-emptions for special events like the USA Tennis Tournament, blackouts of some sort always happen but they have very little if any effect on viewers watching the show or the decline in ratings. Its the show itself that is turning off viewers. Viewers will find a way to watch if the show is good or if they want to watch it anyway--especially now in the day of all the recording and electronic devices available. What is phenomenal is that we can watch via our cell phones. We must stop making these excuses and Let the responsibility for poor ratings fall in the right place.

Thanks for your post! Y&R is now JFP's baby excusively. Whether she sinks, swims and/or gets Y&R cancelled is a wait & see process.

Modified 3 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/02 12:37PM
    #28   2013/09/02 05:07PM
    shalaydra75

Quote MsSuperSuds:
    Quote billsboy: I hate to say this but when Lynn Marie Latham was writing the show (and it was bad then) it was NOT as BAD as it is now.

There is a big difference in the creative processes of the three regimes. Lynn Marie Latham could at least write coherent stories with a beginning, a middle or climax and a resolution. I think most viewers who objected to her writing objected to the stories moreso than how they were written. LML was a writer who could tell good stories. I also liked that she was willing to go out on a limb (vary from the norm) to create new and/or or fresh stories whether you liked them or not. Can't say the same for either MAB's or JFP's regimes. Shock & awe w/ lots of sexual hookups, short marriages, quickie divorces masquerading as good storylines are not entertaining and just do not fit Y&R. Business storylines got lost somewhere & are never as good as then. One thing is for certain & that is LML kept the ratings above 4.0 while her successors have not.

Suds, ITA!!! I want to add that LML increased ratings dramatically. I quickly glanced over the ratings during LML's tenure. Most weeks, her ratings were much higher than the previous year. Moreover, on at least 4 occasions, her ratings were over 700,000 higher than the previous year. Whether posters like LML are not, she was good for business.

#29   2013/09/02 06:53PM
    MsSuperSuds

Quote shalaydra75:
    Quote MsSuperSuds:

There is a big difference in the creative processes of the three regimes. Lynn Marie Latham could at least write coherent stories with a beginning, a middle or climax and a resolution. I think most viewers who objected to her writing objected to the stories moreso than how they were written. LML was a writer who could tell good stories. I also liked that she was willing to go out on a limb (vary from the norm) to create new and/or or fresh stories whether you liked them or not. Can't say the same for either MAB's or JFP's regimes. Shock & awe w/ lots of sexual hookups, short marriages, quickie divorces masquerading as good storylines are not entertaining and just do not fit Y&R. Business storylines got lost somewhere & are never as good as then. One thing is for certain & that is LML kept the ratings above 4.0 while her successors have not.

Suds, ITA!!! I want to add that LML increased ratings dramatically. I quickly glanced over the ratings during LML's tenure. Most weeks, her ratings were much higher than the previous year. Moreover, on at least 4 occasions, her ratings were over 700,000 higher than the previous year. Whether posters like LML are not, she was good for business.

Lynn Marie Latham was also the principal or Head writer for Knotts Landing for years. She is responsible for Ted Schackleford's career on both KL and Y&R. I remember Donna Mills, Karen, Gary & Valene Ewing almost as if they happened yesterday, so LML has created many memorable characters. Lynn Marie Latham was and is an established writer from primetime soaps; so I differ w/ the notion that she was & is not a good writer. I love her b/c she gave me Lily and Cane Ashby. That relationship alone is one that was created outside the box on so many levels. LML wrote romances and good business storylines. MAB & JFP write impulsive sexual hookups & sexcapades as an attempt to show romance which do not work very well or last very long. Business storylines, equality for women, and Love/romance in the afternoon are lost on these latter two female HWs.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/02 07:01PM
    #30   2013/09/02 07:10PM
    Deana4Villy

Quote ChrissyK: The show is probably down because of the 3 million people who have TWC in LA, NY and Dallas that can't watch Y&R or any CBS show due to the dispute btw the 2 parties.

Excellent point. I don't know why it surprised me, but it did when I saw one of the star's post on Twitter that she couldn't get her own show until she got rid of TWC.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list