List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: The only ghost I want!

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

The only ghost I want!

Started by calliope at 2013/08/16 05:31PM
    Latest post: 2013/08/20 07:30PM, Views: 1114, Replies: 16
    « 1 2 page:
    #11   2013/08/17 10:14AM
    Re: The only ghost I want!
    Homesick Cajun

Quote alanadz: It's a new day and new time. Even if Mr. Bill Bell himself was writing today, he would NOT write Y&R the way he did 40 years ago.

I'm not so sure. Mr. Bell had a great vision and a winning formula. Why would he want to change that? Why mess with success, as the saying goes. Or, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    The principles outlined by Doug Marland are still valid today. Pity writers do not follow his creed.

#12   2013/08/17 10:55AM
    Gideon58

Nothing but mad respect for Doug Marland...he made me care about AS THE WORLD TURNS, I wish he had gotten his hands on this show.

#13   2013/08/17 01:11PM
    zuzu61

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote zuzu61: Awesome!! This is the first time I've read this and I Love it!!
    I agree! Every Writer should write by these rules.
    Seems sometimes they write by the rule of: Bring in and push, shove & pimp my favorites, by pushing the previous cast to the back burner, no matter what the FANS want or say.

Actually, when they're hired they should be given a copy and required to sign an agreement to write by these rules or be released.

WOW!! Where'd you find this!?!

I googled his name and several articles came up. When Calliope mentioned him I knew I recognized his name. This was taken from an interview he did many, many years ago. With each point he went into much greater detail. I just didn't have time to go into the detail last night. If I have the time today I'll post all that he said with each one. Really fascinating read. He knew this business! Or look up his name, it's easy to find I just stumbled across it by accident when I looked him up online.

Thank you for the info. I'll google him. I'm excited to make myself more familiar with his thoughts. Thanks again.

#14   2013/08/17 01:38PM
    jacksmyguy

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote alanadz: It's a new day and new time. Even if Mr. Bill Bell himself was writing today, he would NOT write Y&R the way he did 40 years ago.

I'm not so sure. Mr. Bell had a great vision and a winning formula. Why would he want to change that? Why mess with success, as the saying goes. Or, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    The principles outlined by Doug Marland are still valid today. Pity writers do not follow his creed.

I totally agree. How can anyone prefer JFP's way of turning out a soap; it plainly stinks to high heaven. Why else would everyone who ever hired her finally wise up and see the error of their ways. If anyone prefers the crap she is blanketing over Y&R right now, maybe they should nominate her to produce this schlock in primetime and see how long it lasts. I honestly don't know how she ever got her credentials as a producer but it wasn't as the result of any talent, that's for sure.

#15   2013/08/20 06:44PM
    alanadz

Quote calliope: Reading posts about ghosts and speculation on new writer makes me think there is one ghost I would love. Doug Marland, the best soap writer in my lifetime, and it has been a 65 year soap lifetime. He felt the stories, he knew the characters, he CARED about the characters. And he cared about the fans. Now they all, no matter whose pal they are or who hates them, just churn the stories out.

I have to admit I enjoy ghost John Abbott.

#16   2013/08/20 06:51PM
    calliope

Quote alanadz:
    Quote calliope: Reading posts about ghosts and speculation on new writer makes me think there is one ghost I would love. Doug Marland, the best soap writer in my lifetime, and it has been a 65 year soap lifetime. He felt the stories, he knew the characters, he CARED about the characters. And he cared about the fans. Now they all, no matter whose pal they are or who hates them, just churn the stories out.

I have to admit I enjoy ghost John Abbott.

I do too! Terrible mistake killing John off. He was the moral compass, even miserable Victor respected him!

#17   2013/08/20 07:30PM
    ThornsandRoses

I have to ask. How long have you been having conversations with the ghost of Mr. Bill Bell Sr to know what he would do today? Even though things change with time, quality is ageless and that is what some of us keep hoping will be put back into a soap we have watch for decades. We are not saying "Don't add new characters." I think most of us who know the history of the show just want the show to integrate the new characters with the Vets in ways that makes sense for the past, present and future. We also don't want the Vets turned into characters that we don't recognize with no logical explanation just to bring on the "young and the boring" and in some cases not so young but still boring. Quality, that's what Bill Bell Sr and Doug Marland were about; quality episodes that entertained by maker the viewers laugh, cry, get angry and want to slap someone, among other emotions. At least when those gentlemen were involved with soaps I was watching, I was not hoping the writers and EP would be sent to a place where they had no access to anything that might show up on my TV.

« 1 2 page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list