List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: The only ghost I want!

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

The only ghost I want!

Started by calliope at 2013/08/16 05:31PM
    Latest post: 2013/08/20 07:30PM, Views: 1146, Replies: 16
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2013/08/16 05:31PM
    The only ghost I want!
    calliope

Reading posts about ghosts and speculation on new writer makes me think there is one ghost I would love. Doug Marland, the best soap writer in my lifetime, and it has been a 65 year soap lifetime. He felt the stories, he knew the characters, he CARED about the characters. And he cared about the fans. Now they all, no matter whose pal they are or who hates them, just churn the stories out.

#2   2013/08/16 05:57PM
    Re: The only ghost I want!
    Homesick Cajun

Calliope I could not agree more!! I recognized the name but had to look it up to refresh my memory who he was. I remember when he wrote for The Doctors and ATWT. In fact he was responsible for Luke and Laura on GH. In reading about him I stumbled across an interview he did years ago and it was Marland's Rules for Soap Writing.

1. Watch the show

2. Learn the history of the show

3. Read fan mail. Characters you find dull may be the favorites of the audience

4. Be Objective.

5. Talk to everyone. Especially Actors.

6. Don't change a core character.

7. Build new characters slowly. It takes the audience at least 6 months to care about a new character.

8. Don't fire anyone for at least 6 months.

And finally, it's very simple good soap writing is good storytelling!

That man knew how to please an audience!!!!!

#3   2013/08/16 06:06PM
    chillepepper

He sounds like a great fit. It all makes sense what he says. How on earth can Jill Phelps write for a show she never even watched? All she did when she started was start getting rid of people she didn't like. I think she needs to go like yesterday. Bring on Marland. maybe the show well have a chance. JMO

#4   2013/08/16 06:14PM
    calliope

He knew soap audiences and cared. Homesick EVERY soap writer should be made to memorize this. He was the best!!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/08/16 06:15PM
    #5   2013/08/16 06:28PM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote calliope: He knew soap audiences and cared. Homesick EVERY soap writer should be made to memorize this. He was the best!!

I agree! That man set the example that too few have followed!

The only ghost I want too!!!!

#6   2013/08/16 08:18PM
    jacksmyguy

Quote Homesick Cajun: Calliope I could not agree more!! I recognized the name but had to look it up to refresh my memory who he was. I remember when he wrote for The Doctors and ATWT. In fact he was responsible for Luke and Laura on GH. In reading about him I stumbled across an interview he did years ago and it was Marland's Rules for Soap Writing.

1. Watch the show

4. Be Objective.

7. Build new characters slowly. It takes the audience at least 6 months to care about a new character.

Thanks for the ABCs of soap writing curtsey of Doug Marland. Every soap writer currently employed should be forced to read these rules so they become educated about how a good soap is produced. I have to confess that the name was familiar to me too, probably because I've watched so many different soaps over the years, but I am not as well versed as many of you other posters about the writers and producers, both good and bad, current and former, because I never had to worry about the writers in the past. I guess I just never paid as much attention to them but I'm sure getting a history lesson now that we are saddled with this current nightmare that is unfolding.

#7   2013/08/16 08:49PM
    zuzu61

Awesome!! This is the first time I've read this and I Love it!!
    I agree! Every Writer should write by these rules.
    Seems sometimes they write by the rule of: Bring in and push, shove & pimp my favorites, by pushing the previous cast to the back burner, no matter what the FANS want or say.

Actually, when they're hired they should be given a copy and required to sign an agreement to write by these rules or be released.

WOW!! Where'd you find this!?!

#8   2013/08/17 02:57AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote zuzu61: Awesome!! This is the first time I've read this and I Love it!!
    I agree! Every Writer should write by these rules.
    Seems sometimes they write by the rule of: Bring in and push, shove & pimp my favorites, by pushing the previous cast to the back burner, no matter what the FANS want or say.

Actually, when they're hired they should be given a copy and required to sign an agreement to write by these rules or be released.

WOW!! Where'd you find this!?!

I googled his name and several articles came up. When Calliope mentioned him I knew I recognized his name. This was taken from an interview he did many, many years ago. With each point he went into much greater detail. I just didn't have time to go into the detail last night. If I have the time today I'll post all that he said with each one. Really fascinating read. He knew this business! Or look up his name, it's easy to find I just stumbled across it by accident when I looked him up online.

#9   2013/08/17 03:01AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote jacksmyguy:
    Quote Homesick Cajun: Calliope I could not agree more!! I recognized the name but had to look it up to refresh my memory who he was. I remember when he wrote for The Doctors and ATWT. In fact he was responsible for Luke and Laura on GH. In reading about him I stumbled across an interview he did years ago and it was Marland's Rules for Soap Writing.

1. Watch the show

4. Be Objective.

Thanks for the ABCs of soap writing curtsey of Doug Marland. Every soap writer currently employed should be forced to read these rules so they become educated about how a good soap is produced. I have to confess that the name was familiar to me too, probably because I've watched so many different soaps over the years, but I am not as well versed as many of you other posters about the writers and producers, both good and bad, current and former, because I never had to worry about the writers in the past. I guess I just never paid as much attention to them but I'm sure getting a history lesson now that we are saddled with this current nightmare that is unfolding.

This man was brilliant when it comes to writing soaps. He truly was the master. I have always, always, even if I didn't care for a program someone else was watching, I would read the credits. When hubby is watching something I am not interested in I entertain myself reading who wrote, directed, produced, etc., the episode then I google the names and read about what other work they have done. I find reading about people's prior work or upcoming projects a lot more entertaining sometimes than the current show I'm watching. Same with this one! lol

#10   2013/08/17 10:02AM
    alanadz

It's a new day and new time. Even if Mr. Bill Bell himself was writing today, he would NOT write Y&R the way he did 40 years ago.

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list