List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: The Paternity s/l had so much potential

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

The Paternity s/l had so much potential

Started by lkail67 at 2013/08/10 08:57PM
    Latest post: 2013/08/11 06:15PM, Views: 1891, Replies: 55
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:
    #31   2013/08/11 10:00AM
    Re: The Paternity s/l had so much potential
    alanadz

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote Coonfoot:
    Quote alanadz: When LML had the job there were petitions to get rid of her and daily hate threads about her. So she was fired after the writer's strike.

Then MAB took over and the Y&R fans went wild. She is a Bell she will save the show, she knows the history...........It didn't take too long before the same folks started trashing MAB. She was fired.

Now JFP is here and it's the same thing AGAIN. Y&R will never be like it was 40 years ago. NEVER!

I read your posts often and have to say that I don't always agree with your position, but this I can agree on. Y&R will never be the same because Bill Bell is no longer with us and this new generation of writers doesn't have what it takes to tell a good romance story or to bring good business intrigue into the stories. They just don't have it...period. They can hire all the new producers and writers they want, but if they don't have the "heart" to write good stories, nothing will change. I do feel the same way about JFP as a lot of people that are complaining. I've seen her ruin Guiding Light, which was the only other soap I watched from the time it came on TV. It will be a sad day when there is nothing left on television for our generation that's worth watching.

I agree that the good ole days of soaps are long gone, that being said, I would like to see someone with imagination and creativity writing. These guys seem to lack even the slightest bit of either of those qualities. I want a storyteller not a knee jerk reaction or recycled stories. This show has the best collective group of talent probably ever assembled for daytime and their talents are currently being wasted. JMO

I don't underestimate how hard it is to do a show 60 minutes a day, 5 days a week, 12 months a year. Forty years ago when the great Bill Bell created Y&R, soaps had been around for years but NOT nearly as long as they have been around today. Soaps are never going to get the best writers or producers. Those folks work in prime time.

#32   2013/08/11 10:03AM
    jacksmyguy

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote lkail67: In my opinion the paternity s/l had so much potential. The writers didn't need to bring Sharon into the s/l. The fallout of Nick lying about being Summer's father could have been more. The outbursts from Phyllis and Jack were good but not powerful enough... let alone why would any of Nick's family be so understanding. I think the excuse of losing Cassie is just so LAME!!!! There are so many people out there in the world that loses a child... does that make it right to steal another couples child??

And to bring Sharon into the mix..WTF??? She lost Cassie to, and the excuse is that she didn't get to grieve along with Nick over the lost, so she switches the dna results... come on that is going so far overboard. we all grieve different ways... although I thought it was wrong for Nick to seek condolence in another woman's arms.

Wasn't it around the same time when Summer had the allergic reaction and was in critical condition, that Sharon was reading the DNA results of who the father was of Faith?? Maybe she also lied. there were 3 men ... Jack, Billy and Nick that could have been the father.

Another issue is .. why did they have to bring Cassie back??? I don't think it was necessary. I'm hoping that the writers will come up with a way to make it look like that Sharon imagine changing the DNA results and make it look like she did go off of her meds.

I did not like the way the writers wrote off phylis .. it did not do her justice!!! Just because a character wanted to leave the show after 16 years doesn't mean they had to put her in a coma ... they could have recasted her somehow. In a way they recycled a s/l from when Victoria Rowell (dru) left the show. very disappointing.

I know you speak for a lot of people with this post. It was lame, lazy storytelling. Recycled s/l. These writers have botched every last story on this show. And if what I am reading on this board is true, we are in store for more recycled nonsense. Some entertaining the first time around, but these guys are already reusing story lines that we have recently seen. Some as recent as a few weeks, others approximately seven months ago. They have been ruining, Oops running, the show for less than a year and already completely out of new ideas.

And to think this is their chosen profession, AND they get paid to write this crap!

If we all could be so lucky to completely screw up at work and keep our jobs. Hopefully, that last part will change very soon and they will be gone!!!

DITTO! The two of you said it all for me.

#33   2013/08/11 10:16AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote alanadz:
    Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote Coonfoot:
    Quote alanadz: When LML had the job there were petitions to get rid of her and daily hate threads about her. So she was fired after the writer's strike.

Then MAB took over and the Y&R fans went wild. She is a Bell she will save the show, she knows the history...........It didn't take too long before the same folks started trashing MAB. She was fired.

Now JFP is here and it's the same thing AGAIN. Y&R will never be like it was 40 years ago. NEVER!

I read your posts often and have to say that I don't always agree with your position, but this I can agree on. Y&R will never be the same because Bill Bell is no longer with us and this new generation of writers doesn't have what it takes to tell a good romance story or to bring good business intrigue into the stories. They just don't have it...period. They can hire all the new producers and writers they want, but if they don't have the "heart" to write good stories, nothing will change. I do feel the same way about JFP as a lot of people that are complaining. I've seen her ruin Guiding Light, which was the only other soap I watched from the time it came on TV. It will be a sad day when there is nothing left on television for our generation that's worth watching.

I agree that the good ole days of soaps are long gone, that being said, I would like to see someone with imagination and creativity writing. These guys seem to lack even the slightest bit of either of those qualities. I want a storyteller not a knee jerk reaction or recycled stories. This show has the best collective group of talent probably ever assembled for daytime and their talents are currently being wasted. JMO

I don't underestimate how hard it is to do a show 60 minutes a day, 5 days a week, 12 months a year. Forty years ago when the great Bill Bell created Y&R, soaps had been around for years but NOT nearly as long as they have been around today. Soaps are never going to get the best writers or producers. Those folks work in prime time.

Prime time certainly has the highest salary for writers. However those writers, many of which, crafted their skills in daytime. Where are the up and coming talented writers? They've got to be around somewhere. Someone perhaps that grew up watching the show, that knows the history of the characters and who truly cares about the future of not only this show but soaps as a whole.

#34   2013/08/11 10:35AM
    jacksmyguy

Quote Coonfoot:

I agree on all counts. I never watched GL, one of the few soaps I never watched, but I used to love Santa Barbara and also watched a little of GH off and on and saw what JFP did to destroy them. You're right when you stated that the writers today don't know much about how to put a good soap story together. Those of us who are older and grew up watching soaps with or mothers and grandmothers know how good the soaps were back then. I started out with The Edge of Night and Search for Tomorrow (which were only 30 minutes long) and the first soap that I was really hooked on was As the World Turns all the way back when Penny and Ellen were teens. All soaps have their high and low points but what is happening to Y&R now is terrible and without justification. Today, all JFP wants to do is bring a bunch of hunky young men onto the show, have them parade around shirtless and push the sexual aspect...no interesting story lines, no interesting dialog, no family moments, no happy marriages, no conflicts, no drama, no substance! That's a darn shame and I don't, for the life of me, see why some of those elements that are missing can't be brought back today. Good writing tells a good story and produces a good show. That's why Y&R had been at the top of the soap world for many years.

#35   2013/08/11 11:07AM
    alanadz

Quote jacksmyguy:
    Quote Coonfoot:

I agree on all counts. I never watched GL, one of the few soaps I never watched, but I used to love Santa Barbara and also watched a little of GH off and on and saw what JFP did to destroy them. You're right when you stated that the writers today don't know much about how to put a good soap story together. Those of us who are older and grew up watching soaps with or mothers and grandmothers know how good the soaps were back then. I started out with The Edge of Night and Search for Tomorrow (which were only 30 minutes long) and the first soap that I was really hooked on was As the World Turns all the way back when Penny and Ellen were teens. All soaps have their high and low points but what is happening to Y&R now is terrible and without justification. Today, all JFP wants to do is bring a bunch of hunky young men onto the show, have them parade around shirtless and push the sexual aspect...no interesting story lines, no interesting dialog, no family moments, no happy marriages, no conflicts, no drama, no substance! That's a darn shame and I don't, for the life of me, see why some of those elements that are missing can't be brought back today. Good writing tells a good story and produces a good show. That's why Y&R had been at the top of the soap world for many years.

Soaps have so much competition today. We have 900 cable channels as well as the internet. So that's one of the reasons soaps can't attract more young viewers.

#36   2013/08/11 11:11AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote jacksmyguy:
    Quote Coonfoot:

You and I have the EXACT same history with soaps! I truly don't know why I am surprised LOL!!

One of my VERY favorite all time scenes in soap history was on As the World Turns when Eileen Fulton's character came home after being away for a long time and her little boy was sitting on the couch with Helen Wagner/Nancy Hughes reading a book to him and Eileen Fulton leaned in the window and said "Hi Skeeter!" Classic storytelling at it's best. It was a great tear jerk moment!

#37   2013/08/11 12:03PM
    Gideon58

My primary problem with this storyline is why have us learn that Nick is not Summer's father and then reveal that Sharon altered the results of the test? I think this story would have been a lot more interesting if Jack REALLY was Summer's father. Bringing Sharon into it because she wanted to win Nick back was totally out of left field. Where did all these feelings for Nick suddenly come from? As for Cassie, it's always to see Camryn Grimes again, but to bring the ghost of a character back to the show and have them advise someone is one thing, but Sharon hasn't really listed to anything Cassie has told her and is just doing what she wants and trying to justify it to Cassie later, so what's the point?

#38   2013/08/11 12:07PM
    alanadz

Quote Gideon58: My primary problem with this storyline is why have us learn that Nick is not Summer's father and then reveal that Sharon altered the results of the test? I think this story would have been a lot more interesting if Jack REALLY was Summer's father. Bringing Sharon into it because she wanted to win Nick back was totally out of left field. Where did all these feelings for Nick suddenly come from? As for Cassie, it's always to see Camryn Grimes again, but to bring the ghost of a character back to the show and have them advise someone is one thing, but Sharon hasn't really listed to anything Cassie has told her and is just doing what she wants and trying to justify it to Cassie later, so what's the point?

Why is it so interesting to have the Jack Abbott be Summer's father? NOT!! If it was between Nick Newman and Billy Abbott then oh yes, that would have been a killer SL. But Jack? Please in the first place he doesn't deserve to be Summer's father, in the second place, JFP doesn't care that much about Jack and neither do I!

#39   2013/08/11 12:19PM
    habbyfan

By bringing Sharon into this s/l is to take the onus off Nick.

Poor Nick Summer is really his child ... no mention of the fact he lied by omission for 18 years ...no no once again the blame is shifted from Nick act to Sharon's re-action.

I am not buying any of it.

Sharon is to be the unhinged character of GC.

Phyllis said it the demented bi%ch.

#40   2013/08/11 01:44PM
    jacksmyguy

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote jacksmyguy:
    Quote Coonfoot:

You and I have the EXACT same history with soaps! I truly don't know why I am surprised LOL!!

One of my VERY favorite all time scenes in soap history was on As the World Turns when Eileen Fulton's character came home after being away for a long time and her little boy was sitting on the couch with Helen Wagner/Nancy Hughes reading a book to him and Eileen Fulton leaned in the window and said "Hi Skeeter!" Classic storytelling at it's best. It was a great tear jerk moment!

That is pretty funny. You and I are like two peas in a pod in a lot of ways. My grandmother and mom got me started on ATWT when I was just in grade school and I loved Rosemary Prinz. I was so devastated when Jeff died; boy, is that going to the way back machine! That's why I can't bear to give up on Y&R and I won't let it go down without a fight, or at least a lot of protest. I love the vets on our show and I don't want to see them fade away, especially because they are so much better than a lot of the FOJs on the show now.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list