List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Another tidbit of leftwing "feelgoodism"

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Another tidbit of leftwing "feelgoodism"

Started by yrn33 at 2013/07/11 10:00AM
    Latest post: 2013/07/12 12:13PM, Views: 1750, Replies: 18
    « 1 2 page:
    #11   2013/07/11 11:12AM
    Re: Another tidbit of leftwing
    Coonfoot

Quote On a Clear Day:
    Quote ajsp35801: I knew this post was coming. Just let it go folks. Some people will care about IR dating and some wont. However, I hope Y&R stop limiting characters by the color of their skin. It opens up the canvas and makes for better stories.

Secondly, I really hope that people know that racism and judging people by the color of their skin is not a conservative/right wing/republican trait...just as much as judging people by their character is not a left wing/liberal/democrat trait.

Lily Winters is a 100% black woman. She is not bi-racial, despite the genetic make up of the actress who portrays her.

Sage observations and advice.

I agree and don't understand the reason this was even posted.

#12   2013/07/11 11:14AM
    yrn33

[quote]Quote On a Clear Day: [quote]Quote bukopandan: [quote]Quote On a Clear Day: [quote]Quote hotspice58: I might just have to start buying Cheerios now.[/quote]

I don't like Cheerios but get the Wheaties regarless of who is on the box, Michael Jordan or Michael Phelps...I like the cereal...lol

#13   2013/07/11 11:30AM
    yrn33

Quote Coonfoot:

I agree and don't understand the reason this was even posted.

Your response is a bit funny on three accounts:

1 - you watch the show (provacative)
    2 - you read and participate on this forum (provacative_
    3 - your poster name (provacative)

lol

#14   2013/07/11 11:35AM
    ajsp35801

Quote yrn33:
    Quote ajsp35801: I knew this post was coming. Just let it go folks. Some people will care about IR dating and some wont. However, I hope Y&R stop limiting characters by the color of their skin.

Lily Winters is a 100% black woman. She is not bi-racial, despite the genetic make up of the actress who portrays her.

Y & R does not limit characters by skin color, and they make sure many of the professionals are of all shades.

Lily is 100% black only if you consider her Pakistani father black (since when was Pakistani African?) --she is mutlit-racial; just like Obama, whose mother is white and father is black - he is bi-racial, 50% black, 50% white. Just stating the facts, no big deal. (Tiger woods is multi-racial as well, big deal)

Lily Winter's mother is Drucilla, a black woman, her bio father is Malcolm Winters, a Black man. Do not confuse the character and the actress. Despite CK's racial make up, she was cast to play a 100% black woman...and a 100% black woman is who she plays.

#15   2013/07/11 11:38AM
    ajsp35801

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote ajsp35801: I knew this post was coming. Just let it go folks. Some people will care about IR dating and some wont. However, I hope Y&R stop limiting characters by the color of their skin. It opens up the canvas and makes for better stories.

Secondly, I really hope that people know that racism and judging people by the color of their skin is not a conservative/right wing/republican trait...just as much as judging people by their character is not a left wing/liberal/democrat trait.

Excellent post. The only thing I would add is that commercials, television programs, etc., are playing to a specific, target audience. I applaud the Cheerios execs that have been willing to take any heat directed their way. Television programs, in particular, are depending on their sponsors, they cannot afford to alienate them. Whether it is an IR, gay, or lesbian couple. That's sad but it always comes down, at the end of the day, to that good old bottom line.

That's true...maybe Cheerios was playing the demographics game.

#16   2013/07/12 07:35AM
    mswadel

I fail to see how anyone can look at that adorable child in the Cheerios commercial and think any bad thoughts at all. I think Abby and Tyler might be good for each other, both of them have been floundering when it comes to relationships and it would be nice to see them stable and not going from partner to partner.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/07/12 07:36AM
    #17   2013/07/12 08:44AM
    yrn33

Quote mswadel:I think Abby and Tyler might be good for each other

Having much more to do with class than race, Abby apparently needs to have a jet setter mate like herself. She just displayed that with her breakup of Alex. Common interests make a big difference in ongoing relationships rather than some quick fling or "flavor of the day" -- Tyler appears from his actions to be looking for a lip to lip conquest every week before moving on to the next...

#18   2013/07/12 11:29AM
    Chuckyducky

Quote yrn33: In most TV and print commercials it is usually apparent that the inter-racial sexual images don't sell well.

You sure about that, buddy!

Shortly after General Mills aired the biracial Cheerios girl and parents on May 2013, General Mills annual sales (worldwide) increased to $17.8 Billion on June 26, 2013, with 60% coming from domestic sales.

This comes in after GM experienced a decline back in 2011. Now, take a BIG guess as to which type of GM commercial contributed to that increase in 2013. If you haven't caught on, it's the one with the girl and her interracial parents.

But then again, you did insert "most" in your statement so anyone coming in to give you an example that flies in the face of that statement would have, naturally, misinterpreted your comment. Anyway...

By the way, commercials featuring interracial couples are rare on television and on print. However, when one sees it and notes how such an ad has helped increase sales, I would think it would be something to rejoice about but that' me.

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2013/07/12 11:32AM
    #19   2013/07/12 12:13PM
    ajsp35801

Quote Chuckyducky:
    Quote yrn33: In most TV and print commercials it is usually apparent that the inter-racial sexual images don't sell well.

You sure about that, buddy!

Shortly after General Mills aired the biracial Cheerios girl and parents on May 2013, General Mills annual sales (worldwide) increased to $17.8 Billion on June 26, 2013, with 60% coming from domestic sales.

This comes in after GM experienced a decline back in 2011. Now, take a BIG guess as to which type of GM commercial contributed to that increase in 2013. If you haven't caught on, it's the one with the girl and her interracial parents.

But then again, you did insert "most" in your statement so anyone coming in to give you an example that flies in the face of that statement would have, naturally, misinterpreted your comment. Anyway...

By the way, commercials featuring interracial couples are rare on television and on print. However, when one sees it and notes how such an ad has helped increase sales, I would think it would be something to rejoice about but that' me.

Thanks for coming with the facts...

« 1 2 page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list