List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Another tidbit of leftwing "feelgoodism"

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Another tidbit of leftwing "feelgoodism"

Started by yrn33 at 2013/07/11 10:00AM
    Latest post: 2013/07/12 12:13PM, Views: 1768, Replies: 18
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2013/07/11 10:00AM
    Another tidbit of leftwing "feelgoodism"
    yrn33

In most TV and print commercials it is usually apparent that the inter-racial sexual images don't sell well. So even today they are rare. But on soaps the writers now want to make sure they are not only "policially correct", but want to promote polarization between those who think "anything is cool" vs. those who think relationships should be developed and cultivated.

The mini-storyline of the character player about town Tyler going for the white women (since he can't have the exotic married Pakistani-chocolate babe he wants - Lilly), the latest being Victor's blond daughter Abby, with a drive-by fit of passion, and hopping in the sack with two or three stop-traffic babes over the past couple of months, is so predictable. Why can't he meet and date someone without just being a "what's right for the moment" lust dog?

#2   2013/07/11 10:09AM
    Re: Another tidbit of leftwing
    hotspice58

There are very few women of color; all, except Hillary, are in relationships. and Lily is black/Pakistani.

#3   2013/07/11 10:23AM
    On a Clear Day

Quote hotspice58: There are very few women of color; all, except Hillary, are in relationships. and Lily is black/Pakistani.

The actress who plays Lily is 1/4 white, 1/4 black and 1/2 Pakistani. However the character Lily is supposed to be black alone, not that that should matter who she hooks up with anyway. But I agree that the women and men of color are in the minority on the show so even if they wanted to date only within their race, there would be few candidates.

But who cares who dates anyone else anyway? The original poster seems to intimate that Tyler eyeing white women is only being done because Y&R wants to be edgy or cool? Skin color, eye color, hair color does not matter and in this age I really don't think most viewers give a hoot who dates whom as far as their ethnicity. It's not 1950. It does not even for a second cross my mind one way or the other if I see 2 characters of different ethnic backgrounds hooking up. If two people look good together that's all I care about and I think there are a lot of viewers of shows and commercials out there who feel this way in modern society. Couples in the real world come in all colors, orientations, shapes and sizes these days and shows and commercials are starting to reflect that more and more to keep up with the times. We now live in a global society where we can get from country to country in hours through air travel so in the past 100 years, the races have been melding more and more. I want to see reality on my soap.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/07/11 10:27AM
    #4   2013/07/11 10:40AM
    yrn33

Quote On a Clear Day:
    Quote hotspice58: There are very few women of color; all, except Hillary, are in relationships. and Lily is black/Pakistani.

But I agree that the women and men of color are in the minority on the show so even if they wanted to date only within their race, there would be few candidates.

A -Not necessarily....on a soap yarn, writers can create whoever they want whenever they want at the drop of a dime - they do it with judges, doctors and professionals on the show all the time.

But who cares who dates anyone else anyway?

A -Some do, some don't, as was in the original post.

The original poster seems to intimate that Tyler eyeing white women is only being done because Y&R wants to be edgy or cool?

A - They do. They want to be provacative as well, and I do give them credit for breaking up Abby & Alex for being world aparts in common interests (and they are both Caucasian)

Skin color, eye color, hair color does not matter and in this age I really don't think most viewers give a hoot who dates whom as far as their ethnicity. It's not 1950.

A - Even in 2013 some do, some don't and is much closer to "some" than "most".

It does not even for a second cross my mind one way or the other if I see 2 characters of different ethnic backgrounds hooking up.

A - And I am sure most like myself respect your opinion.

If two people look good together that's all I care about

A - I agree. That's my point. Cane & Lilly in my opinion look very good together, but have cultivated their relationship, as I pointed out -- versus Tyler's "hunt and fetch" mentality.

I want to see reality on my soap.

A - Then why don't you request that the writers don't drag out storylines like the Nick/Summer one where she almost has an incestual relationship with her brother before he tells her in the "nick" (pardon the pun) of time? Is this reality? Don't think so.

#5   2013/07/11 10:41AM
    bukopandan

Quote On a Clear Day:

The actress who plays Lily is 1/4 white, 1/4 black and 1/2 Pakistani. However the character Lily is supposed to be black alone, not that that should matter who she hooks up with anyway. But I agree that the women and men of color are in the minority on the show so even if they wanted to date only within their race, there would be few candidates.

But who cares who dates anyone else anyway? The original poster seems to intimate that Tyler eyeing white women is only being done because Y&R wants to be edgy or cool? Skin color, eye color, hair color does not matter and in this age I really don't think most viewers give a hoot who dates whom as far as their ethnicity. It's not 1950. It does not even for a second cross my mind one way or the other if I see 2 characters of different ethnic backgrounds hooking up. If two people look good together that's all I care about and I think there are a lot of viewers of shows and commercials out there who feel this way in modern society. Couples in the real world come in all colors, orientations, shapes and sizes these days and shows and commercials are starting to reflect that more and more to keep up with the times. We now live in a global society where we can get from country to country in hours through air travel so in the past 100 years, the races have been melding more and more. I want to see reality on my soap.

A big thank-you from someone who is one-half of an interracial marriage. Thanks.

It also seems that the OP is referencing, in part, the Cherrios commercial that immediately received some very negative right-wing responses but that overall was well received, and the company had the courage to stand by its ad rather than pull it.

#6   2013/07/11 11:01AM
    ajsp35801

I knew this post was coming. Just let it go folks. Some people will care about IR dating and some wont. However, I hope Y&R stop limiting characters by the color of their skin. It opens up the canvas and makes for better stories.

Secondly, I really hope that people know that racism and judging people by the color of their skin is not a conservative/right wing/republican trait...just as much as judging people by their character is not a left wing/liberal/democrat trait.

Lily Winters is a 100% black woman. She is not bi-racial, despite the genetic make up of the actress who portrays her.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/07/11 11:03AM
    #7   2013/07/11 11:03AM
    On a Clear Day

Quote bukopandan:
    Quote On a Clear Day:

A big thank-you from someone who is one-half of an interracial marriage. Thanks.

It also seems that the OP is referencing, in part, the Cherrios commercial that immediately received some very negative right-wing responses but that overall was well received, and the company had the courage to stand by its ad rather than pull it.

Sure thing. I might just have to start buying Cheerios now.

#8   2013/07/11 11:04AM
    On a Clear Day

Quote ajsp35801: I knew this post was coming. Just let it go folks. Some people will care about IR dating and some wont. However, I hope Y&R stop limiting characters by the color of their skin. It opens up the canvas and makes for better stories.

Secondly, I really hope that people know that racism and judging people by the color of their skin is not a conservative/right wing/republican trait...just as much as judging people by their character is not a left wing/liberal/democrat trait.

Lily Winters is a 100% black woman. She is not bi-racial, despite the genetic make up of the actress who portrays her.

Sage observations and advice.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/07/11 11:06AM
    #9   2013/07/11 11:10AM
    yrn33

Quote ajsp35801: I knew this post was coming. Just let it go folks. Some people will care about IR dating and some wont. However, I hope Y&R stop limiting characters by the color of their skin.

Y & R does not limit characters by skin color, and they make sure many of the professionals are of all shades.

Lily is 100% black only if you consider her Pakistani father black (since when was Pakistani African?) --she is mutlit-racial; just like Obama, whose mother is white and father is black - he is bi-racial, 50% black, 50% white. Just stating the facts, no big deal. (Tiger woods is multi-racial as well, big deal)

#10   2013/07/11 11:11AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote ajsp35801: I knew this post was coming. Just let it go folks. Some people will care about IR dating and some wont. However, I hope Y&R stop limiting characters by the color of their skin. It opens up the canvas and makes for better stories.

Excellent post. The only thing I would add is that commercials, television programs, etc., are playing to a specific, target audience. I applaud the Cheerios execs that have been willing to take any heat directed their way. Television programs, in particular, are depending on their sponsors, they cannot afford to alienate them. Whether it is an IR, gay, or lesbian couple. That's sad but it always comes down, at the end of the day, to that good old bottom line.

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list