List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: To save Y&R- do the following

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

To save Y&R- do the following

Started by jmunoz4u at 2013/07/07 07:48PM
    Latest post: 2013/07/08 08:08AM, Views: 985, Replies: 10
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2013/07/07 07:48PM
    To save Y&R- do the following
    jmunoz4u

1. Get rid of Leslie Michaelson's family story. Keep her as a tough, honest, straightforward lawyer as when first stared with show. By-bye Tyler, Gus, Rose
    2. Tie all Abbotts to Jabot and all Newmans to Newman. Get rid of those lame side businesses, like bars, restaurants, clubs, lounges, magazines. It's the all in one family/business/social conflict people like to watch about Jabot vs Newman
    3. Expand Fenmore business story. Use Lauren and her son Scott as a new avenue to create business tension with Newman & Jabot. Scott is a mystery to us all because we don't him. This is Fenn's big brother after all and Lauren's first son- a son that was a BIG player in the Sheila Carter days. Using Scott as a new/old character has so much potential with new Abbotts and new Newmans.
    4. Give us closure and good explanation on Ricky Williams death if he is not returning. HOWEVER, his return would be cool. Ricky became very interesting and was very handsome. The audience was completely sidelined in this story.
    5. No more Newbies from other soaps.
    6. Need some comic relief- We need Gloria and Jeff somehow in these stories.
    7. Has got to go- Dylan, Avery, Chavez, Kevin. BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    8. Bring back the old background music. The new stuff sounds generic and a lot like other soaps music. Y&R's music seemed very original. Not now.
    9, Address a mortal disease to bring awareness- sickle cell anemia, Hepatitis C, HIV, diabetes. Character will have to die to have the impact.
    10. A cat fight is desparately l needed. Sounds childish, but its fun- especially among classy individuals. Or, at least a really good face slap. A build up to this point would create suspense.
    11. Now more than ever- do cross overs with B&B and other CBS vehicles.
    12. Advertise this show. Create awareness that the show exists and still relevant.

#2   2013/07/07 08:01PM
    Re: To save Y&R- do the following
    ski lady

I agree with almost everything you wrote. I would not like a terminal illness storyline, however. I know it happens in real life, but it is hard to watch and for me, there would be no entertainment value at all in watching it simulated on my soap! I don't want Kevin to leave. I think GR is a good actor who has been given horrible storylines for a long time. As for the newbies, I like Dylan, Avery and Chavez, but wouldn't miss them if they were gone.

Pretty much everything else you wrote, I agree with.

#3   2013/07/07 08:15PM
    ajsp35801

So you want to take Leslie back to having almost no airtime..,back to being a shell of a character with the actress on recurring...that does not work for me. I like her featured and well rounded.

You want to get rid of Tyler. I love him so that does not work for me.

The Newman/Abbot feud is old and tired. Focusing on them doesn't leave room for other characters I love...so also doesn't work for me.

#4   2013/07/07 08:35PM
    Mikichan

I agree with some of the stuff you mentioned, but nay to the illness storyline, old background music and I really like Alex, Dylan and Kevin. The Rose storyline is boring but I like Leslie. Would like to see her in a new storyline, and leave the other behind. Bring back some of the grand parties, and exciting cliffhangers on the Friday shows. This show has too much repetition (characters repeating the same dialogue over and over- Chelsea with Chloe, Dylan with Avery, etc) and events are dragged on for so long that they lose their lustre. This past Friday's CDN episode had the most movement we've seen for a long time. Need more shows like this!

#5   2013/07/07 09:15PM
    jacksmyguy

Quote jmunoz4u: 1. Get rid of Leslie Michaelson's family story. Keep her as a tough, honest, straightforward lawyer as when first stared with show. By-bye Tyler, Gus, Rose
    2. Tie all Abbotts to Jabot and all Newmans to Newman. Get rid of those lame side businesses, like bars, restaurants, clubs, lounges, magazines. It's the all in one family/business/social conflict people like to watch about Jabot vs Newman
    3. Expand Fenmore business story. Use Lauren and her son Scott as a new avenue to create business tension with Newman & Jabot. Scott is a mystery to us all because we don't him. This is Fenn's big brother after all and Lauren's first son- a son that was a BIG player in the Sheila Carter days. Using Scott as a new/old character has so much potential with new Abbotts and new Newmans.
    4. Give us closure and good explanation on Ricky Williams death if he is not returning. HOWEVER, his return would be cool. Ricky became very interesting and was very handsome. The audience was completely sidelined in this story.
    8. Bring back the old background music. The new stuff sounds generic and a lot like other soaps music. Y&R's music seemed very original. Not now.
    9, Address a mortal disease to bring awareness- sickle cell anemia, Hepatitis C, HIV, diabetes. Character will have to die to have the impact.
    10. A cat fight is desparately l needed. Sounds childish, but its fun- especially among classy individuals. Or, at least a really good face slap. A build up to this point would create suspense.
    12. Advertise this show. Create awareness that the show exists and still relevant.

I think you're onto something with many of these ideas but there are a few exceptions in my opinion. I'M not crazy about a S/L about some mortal illness either. I would much prefer a good murder mystery or crisis involving several people in the cast that would involve some of the vets along with some newer cast members to develop an intermingling of generations with vets and already established newbies.

The four characters you suggested getting rid of would not be my choices. I don't mind Kevin, Avery or Dylan (they just need better writing for their characters or better pairings) and Chavez has been growing on me to the point that I've come to like him. I would rather get rid of Cane, Carmine, Fen and Leslie and fix Lily and Tyler if they are to be kept on the show. I really can't stand Leslie (talk about a boring character and a so-so actress) and we already have lawyers on the show in Christine, Michael and Avery. I also can't stand Carmine, as he has become a really sleazy/slimy character. Fen could either go off to college or O.D. on drugs (there is the S/L you were looking for with a death in it and that would open up a place to bring Lauren's other son Scott back into the story - more connection to history for the show). Otherwise, I think you may be onto some good ideas.

#6   2013/07/07 09:44PM
    xjustbestrong

Y&R isn't going anywhere and they're not gonna get rid of any of the characters or anything on the show.

#7   2013/07/08 03:26AM
    Homesick Cajun

jmunoz4u, I agree with 99% of your post. In fact, if I may, I would like to add a couple of things.

1. No more recasts. Recasts seldom if ever work and in the cases of Kyle and Abby not at all. These two are completely unrecognizable. Not only did the faces change but they are not even behaving "in character". Last week when Victor said to Abby " I've seen a change in you since you came back " all I could think was "Duh, of course there is a change".

2. Address a relevant topic. The bullying s/l was good but could have been much better. The PTSD s/l is a snooze fest and an insult to those suffering from it.

3. PICK UP THE PACE! The actors are all walking around like their feet are in quicksand. The only exception being Michelle Stafford, and that is because she is wisely running for the exit.

4. As far as your list of who needs to go. I would probably keep Chavez and send Leslie and Tyler both packing. Both characters are ridiculously boring.

5. WE GOT IT ALREADY. Repeating lines over and over
    We got it, Nick's sorry, we got it, Chelsea's upset, we got it, Victoria's a shrew, we got it Leslie's obsessed with Rose, blah blah blah. Give them something ORIGINAL to say for a very much needed change.

Anyway, that's my two cents for now. Thanks great thread.

#8   2013/07/08 05:08AM
    salsera

Quote jmunoz4u: 1. Get rid of Leslie Michaelson's family story. Keep her as a tough, honest, straightforward lawyer as when first stared with show. By-bye Tyler, Gus, Rose

I like Tyler though, so I don't agree there. I like Leslie too, but they need to put in a better story. I agree on the Newmans/Abbotts point though. I want to see more scenes in the office. The bars and coffee shops, etc., I've had enough of them. I agree about the comic relief. A catfight is needed or at least some kind of drama, geesh. The show should be advertised. I feel like I remember seeing more evocative promos in the earlier days, but now they don't really tease much in the promos. They're misleading and don't really create interest, for me at least.

#9   2013/07/08 05:20AM
    Mopper

They need new people in charge of this mess. The story telling is crap, the direction is crap. Everything about the show is boring and repetitive. Plus all the newbies we are supposed to care about but don't. The recasts. ENOUGH ALREADY #fixYR

#10   2013/07/08 07:03AM
    turtlegourd

1. Oh, absolutely. Ignore that Gus has been dead for months. Get rid of him anyway. Put most of the AA cast in story line limbo and axe the rest.

2. Isolated pockets of story telling with limited interaction is a time proven method of increasing story telling opportunity.

3. Add another newbie! We don't have enough.

4. Ricky bounced!!!

5. No more newbies except for Scotty. Cast him with someone from commercials. Or maybe regional theater... that'll bring 'em in.

6. Add a laugh track!!! And seltzer bottles.

7. Mom always said, only the boring are bored.

8. I'll give you this. They need to add in more of Y&R's traditional music cues.

9. Does old age count? Because (spoiler alert!) that's coming up shortly.

10. Cat fight - because impulsive shock and awe stunt scenes and violence between and against women worked so well for LML and MAB.

11. Cross overs... Oliver (cough). Eric (cough). So memorable.

12. They bought a whole other network to promote Y&R on and have papered the internet with advertisements. You may have seen it...

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list