List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: VETS...& a splash of Newbies (spoiler)

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

VETS...& a splash of Newbies (spoiler)

Started by Qu33nTeelovesAdam at 2013/05/18 06:45PM
    Latest post: 2013/05/20 10:47AM, Views: 2807, Replies: 24
    « 1 2 3 » »| page:
    #11   2013/05/19 10:26AM
    Re: VETS...& a splash of Newbies (spoiler)
    Qu33nTeelove...

Maybe you all are right... maybe the show will get cancelled,but I really enjoyed the show with mainly the VETS and a splash of newbies.

I find it hard to watch a show with nothing but newbies, I find myself cleaning the house, washing clothes or facebooking. when it is just the newbies.

If they did a week of this I'd be a happy camper!

#12   2013/05/19 10:29AM
    Qu33nTeelove...

Quote JRTA: It was definitely one of the best episodes in recent months. Just the right combination of our vets with a little bit of newbie added in. It reminded me of what the late great Bill Bell was famous for.

If the current regime would continue to follow this recipe, along with improving things like long term planning (there still seems to be too many shifts) and building the female characters to be stronger, it will go along way with viewers.

I happen to agree with you.. My main problem I have with the new regime is their inconsistencies... and they never follow up.. they leave you hanging forever... never a follow up! One more thing..end the WTD w/Chels/Dylan/Adam... just stupid!

#13   2013/05/19 11:17AM
    thorabirch

Quote Qu33nTeelovesAdam:
    Quote JRTA: It was definitely one of the best episodes in recent months. Just the right combination of our vets with a little bit of newbie added in. It reminded me of what the late great Bill Bell was famous for.

If the current regime would continue to follow this recipe, along with improving things like long term planning (there still seems to be too many shifts) and building the female characters to be stronger, it will go along way with viewers.

I happen to agree with you.. My main problem I have with the new regime is their inconsistencies... and they never follow up.. they leave you hanging forever... never a follow up! One more thing..end the WTD w/Chels/Dylan/Adam... just stupid!

Yep, most soap stories are stupid. That's the problem.

#14   2013/05/19 01:36PM
    Qu33nTeelove...

Quote thorabirch:
    Quote Qu33nTeelovesAdam:

Yep, most soap stories are stupid. That's the problem.

I don't think ALL soap s/l are stupid other wise I wouldn't watch!

#15   2013/05/19 01:51PM
    PurrrrrrrKitty

Quote thorabirch:
    Quote Joy T: Unfortunately, I am not sure any formula is going to work. There are very few stay at home parents these days unlike the past when our Mom's stayed home and watched. New age retirees are busy and on the go so they don't have the interests as our grandmas. Teens seem to care less about it.

I'm able to DVR or watch it on soap channel at night. I think we better enjoy it as much as we can because the end may be coming sooner than we think.

Even if they could watch, the soap genre will not work for young people today. Let's face it, many soap staples are really dumb. No kid today will believe in these absurd WTD story lines like the two playing out now. NO kid with half a brain is going to believe DNA can be switched.

Why wouldn't they believe it??? If they are sooooo into science fiction and everything else that is sooooo out there that it totally non-believable.. why??? The latest craze about vampires??? That is believable??

I think the young are too much into the "bazaar".. to be interested in a soap.. They actually believe that CSI crap.. and the more stupid "Survivor" crap....CSI is so far from reality it's laughable.. plus the so called "reality" shows are far from "reality" but totally choreographed. If they buy that??? why not a soap??

Never mind the hours they spend on a video game that is far from reality..

#16   2013/05/19 01:58PM
    thorabirch

Quote PurrrrrrrKitty:
    Quote thorabirch:
    Quote Joy T: Unfortunately, I am not sure any formula is going to work. There are very few stay at home parents these days unlike the past when our Mom's stayed home and watched. New age retirees are busy and on the go so they don't have the interests as our grandmas. Teens seem to care less about it.

I'm able to DVR or watch it on soap channel at night. I think we better enjoy it as much as we can because the end may be coming sooner than we think.

Even if they could watch, the soap genre will not work for young people today. Let's face it, many soap staples are really dumb. No kid today will believe in these absurd WTD story lines like the two playing out now. NO kid with half a brain is going to believe DNA can be switched.

Why wouldn't they believe it??? If they are sooooo into science fiction and everything else that is sooooo out there that it totally non-believable.. why??? The latest craze about vampires??? That is believable??

I think the young are too much into the "bazaar".. to be interested in a soap.. They actually believe that CSI crap.. and the more stupid "Survivor" crap....CSI is so far from reality it's laughable.. plus the so called "reality" shows are far from "reality" but totally choreographed. If they buy that??? why not a soap??

Never mind the hours they spend on a video game that is far from reality..

Don't know but they don't.

#17   2013/05/19 02:33PM
    AnnMaurine

I have to agree with you ~ I’ve said it b/4 and I’ll say it again ~ there’s no way most of the people who fall between the ages of 18 – 49 that I know are watching any daytime TV. They are all trying to either support a family or they are going to school and working so they can obtain jobs that pay well enough to buy homes and support families as they move towards that stage of their lives.

CBS/Sony both need to wake up and smell the coffee!

And yes, if our economy remains a two income economy, we will probably see the demise of our favorite soaps in a few years. I had to go to work in the early 1980’s. I taped my favorite shows and watched them on the weekends ~ for a short while ~ but 5 hours a day on Sat and another 5 hours a day on Sunday made me realize that something had to go ~ I still had other obligations that needed to be met and watching my soaps was interfering with that.

Sorry to say to the powers that be, but this is the reality of today’s world. Aiming for a daytime viewer-ship of people who are not around a TV during those hours is not realistic.

#18   2013/05/19 02:42PM
    AnnMaurine

Quote Qu33nTeelovesAdam: Maybe you all are right... maybe the show will get cancelled,but I really enjoyed the show with mainly the VETS and a splash of newbies.

I find it hard to watch a show with nothing but newbies, I find myself cleaning the house, washing clothes or facebooking. when it is just the newbies.

If they did a week of this I'd be a happy camper!

I agree with you and I too find myself losing interest more often than I used to. When the newbies are on for most of the show it feels strange and foreign to me.

I’ve often wondered why big corps like CBS/Sony don’t look at what has worked under someone like Bill Bell and offered classes/courses to train people for the same success that Bill Bell accomplished. Granted he had a genus that is rare but teaching his potential replacements his methods would certainly be a money maker for companies who make billions of $$$ from such knowledge.

#19   2013/05/19 02:44PM
    lesepps

Quote AnnMaurine:

I have to agree with you ~ I’ve said it b/4 and I’ll say it again ~ there’s no way most of the people who fall between the ages of 18 – 49 that I know are watching any daytime TV. They are all trying to either support a family or they are going to school and working so they can obtain jobs that pay well enough to buy homes and support families as they move towards that stage of their lives.

CBS/Sony both need to wake up and smell the coffee!

And yes, if our economy remains a two income economy, we will probably see the demise of our favorite soaps in a few years. I had to go to work in the early 1980’s. I taped my favorite shows and watched them on the weekends ~ for a short while ~ but 5 hours a day on Sat and another 5 hours a day on Sunday made me realize that something had to go ~ I still had other obligations that needed to be met and watching my soaps was interfering with that.

Sorry to say to the powers that be, but this is the reality of today’s world. Aiming for a daytime viewer-ship of people who are not around a TV during those hours is not realistic.

Even if people aren't home, if there is show on they like, you simply record it and watch later when you have time. It's not the audience, it's the genre.

#20   2013/05/19 03:42PM
    Rilynne

Times have changed and how many of us watch online or DVR and watch later. When I had soap network I watched that after work or the whole week on Saturday night. Maybe they need to come up with a new way to do the ratings. I agree the vets are the core of the show but they have to have newbies. They always have, just remember there was a day when the Abbott family was new, Victor, Nikki, the Williams family, as so on. But it takes time to build a character and they have to remember that instead of trying to shove them down our throats. I remember when each summer they have a group of new young talent on which helped bring in the younger viewers that were home from school. I also enjoyed that.

« 1 2 3 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list