List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper

Started by Candace at 2013/05/09 11:23AM
    Latest post: 2014/05/16 03:13PM, Views: 19002, Replies: 189
    « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 » »| page:
    #81   2013/05/28 05:20PM
    Re: Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper
    countryMomof4

Oh thank you so much for posting these latest tweets. Makes me weepy again. What a fabulous woman!!

#82   2013/05/28 05:26PM
    habbyfan

The tears welled up several times during todays eppy.

I am sure there is more to come for this great woman.

I loved Chloe telling everyone Katherine called her little ho.

#83   2013/05/29 07:53AM
    HOT PINK

Good Morning! Here's Corbin's latest post:

"Up early with the sun and the birds this morning. My mom loved the mornings, one of many great things passed on to me. Continuing where I left off yesterday, recollections of my mom during this "memorial week" ...

Watching the Y&R tribute yesterday I once again realized what a wonderful actress my mother was. You have to understand, "inside" the family, she's was always just "mom." We knew she had this other life, but to be honest, didn't always plug into it. To be honest, I didn't watch much of Young and Restless over the years. I knew some highlights of what was going on and certainly the "big stuff"; face lifts, playing two characters and all that. But it wasn't appointment TV for me. Now to be fair, I'm not sure my mom saw more than a handful of Psych episodes either or much of what I did the years before that. We actors are odd like that, most of us. We love the work, doing the work, but watching it, our own and others we know, that's another story.

But yesterday, in a very condensed version, I got to see a career of incredible work from a gifted actor. And it made me think back to when I decided to become an actor...

I had done a small part in a movie that my dad produced called Three The Hard Way. In short, I was 19 and I got to make out with a hot girl in the back seat of a Rolls Royce, say a few lines to the legendary Jim Brown (Football player) and got paid $900 bucks! "This is the career for me," I shouted out loud to no one in particular! I went to my mom, who certainly heard some form of that exclamation, and said, "that's it, I know what I want to do, I want to be an actor, like you!" Now mind you, I had been "thinking" about acting for some time so this wasn't completely out of the blue and certainly had been inspired by my mom and her career. I had been blown away often as a kid watching her work, going to the sets - witnessing the transformations of character and place. Bonanza - the Ponderosa on a sound stage in the middle of the Los Angeles! Gilligan's island, a small pond in Studio City! But then the defining moment; I saw mom in the play The Miracle Worker at the La Jolla Playhouse when I was about 10. I stayed with her in La Jolla for the entire run - half to watch her incredible performance over and over as Annie Sullivan, the other half to collect coins out of broken pay phone nearby that nobody knew was kicking back each caller's dime in the return slot after they hung up. Suffice to say, acting, one way or another was in my blood and at nineteen I said, this is it! I'm an actor!

Not so fast....

I remember very specifically my mom measuring me up, really wanting to see if that was a "truth" - wanting to be an actor - or did I just want the money and the girls and whatever else comes with it. She waited a moment, continued to study me and then said, "you'll only have my blessing if you go to school, study it, know it. You must learn to love it and respect the history of it." Wow, all that just for girls... sounds like a lot of work I thought! But she had me right where she wanted me. And I understood it. It was a reminder of what I already knew to some degree and expressed to you yesterday... to become an actor is fine and dandy, to survive the journey is another story altogether. To know and respect the craft is THE ONLY THING that will get you through and over the bumps in the road. My mother knew that, she lived it and wanted me to know it too if that was to become my journey. She also didn't want people "in the club" who didn't get it. Screw them, stay out if you're not serious.

So, I looked her square in the face, truth time for me, and assured her that while some of the "perks" were certainly interesting, I truly wanted to act. I wanted to do that thing she does. I want to create those transformations, that magic. I very quickly left San Diego State College where I was majoring in partying and enrolled in UCLA where I got my undergraduate degree in Fine Arts and then my Masters in Playwriting. The best things I could have ever done - all courtesy of my mom.

There is one story from UCLA that this is all leading to...

I was directing a one act play I had written called The Devil's Violin. A tense piece about two brothers fighting for their mother's affection; one blind and without hope, the other with all the gifts God can give you; looks, intelligence and an ability to play exquisite music - the violin - but also a bit of a pompous jerk. Well, the play was a tragedy where the blind son associates the sweet sounds of his brother's violin with the devil, tormenting him as it lures his mother away from him and toward his brother. So there we are... it's opening night, 250 strong in the theater at UCLA and my play begins. I'm in the audience about two rows down from my mother who is sitting in an aisle seat just behind me. The curtain goes up and we're off to the races - 25 minutes of nonstop love, hate, anger, tension and conflict. All is proceeding perfectly as designed as we approached the climactic moment where the blind son, finally having had enough, the brother's violin screaming in his ear, destroying him... he's on the verge of killing his brother but restrains himself from attacking. Good triumphing Evil. And suddenly all goes quiet. You could hear a pin drop... just as I had fashioned... exactly...then, out in the darkness, two rows back I heard a voice whisper LOUDLY... "NICE." My mom! That gravely voice! Even in a whisper it was deafening and somewhat embarrassing, breaking the moment... not the plan!

But in that moment, I also realized something far greater... I had passed her test! I had worked hard to learn and respect the craft as she had demanded. I had succeeded in her eyes and now had her "blessing" to enter her world... And if not for that lesson, I know with great certainty I would have crashed and burned long ago. Thank you mom. Your legacy continues in me and all those you have nurtured who call themselves an actor."

#84   2013/05/29 09:29AM
    Grendel

It was very well done. I recorded it and keep it.

#85   2013/05/29 06:21PM
    Deana4Villy

This special thread for this special lady should be at the front where everyone can find and share it.

#86   2013/05/29 06:38PM
    HOT PINK

Quote Deana4Villy: This special thread for this special lady should be at the front where everyone can find and share it.

I agree. While watching Jeanne's tribute this morning, I couldn't help but laugh and cry. She was such a fabulous lady! After watching Jeanne on so many TV shows, in movies, and on YR for most of my life, it makes me so sad knowing she is gone. But, her light shines on in Corbin, Collin, Caren and their children, in the people she worked with on YR for the past 39-1/2 years, and in ALL of the fans who loved her so much.

I look forward to Corbin's messages every morning, and will continue to post them here for as long as he writes them. He has said he will carry on his mother's legacy, and will also continue promoting her book, "Not Young, Still Restless." And, he will hopefully be writing a book of his own as well.

Watching that final scene between Katherine and Jill again made me cry like a baby (again). Our beloved Duchess is never ever going to be forgotten!

#87   2013/05/29 06:42PM
    Sharons My Girl

She was a wonderful actress and the show will not be the same with out her.She will be missed so much.

#88   2013/05/29 11:35PM
    gjnagh

Quote HOT PINK:
    Quote Deana4Villy: This special thread for this special lady should be at the front where everyone can find and share it.

I agree. While watching Jeanne's tribute this morning, I couldn't help but laugh and cry. She was such a fabulous lady! After watching Jeanne on so many TV shows, in movies, and on YR for most of my life, it makes me so sad knowing she is gone. But, her light shines on in Corbin, Collin, Caren and their children, in the people she worked with on YR for the past 39-1/2 years, and in ALL of the fans who loved her so much.

I look forward to Corbin's messages every morning, and will continue to post them here for as long as he writes them. He has said he will carry on his mother's legacy, and will also continue promoting her book, "Not Young, Still Restless." And, he will hopefully be writing a book of his own as well.

Watching that final scene between Katherine and Jill again made me cry like a baby (again). Our beloved Duchess is never ever going to be forgotten!

I just watched the Jeanne Cooper tribute episode. My congratulations to the Y&tR on giving the viewers a moving, fitting tribute to the Y&tR's icon: "The Duchess", Katherine Chancellor.

I loved the format: not a series of film clips from her 39-1/2 years on the show, but laid back, personal remembrances of her, from her family, and the actors who worked with her on the Y&tR.

Dear Katherine Chancellor, (Ms Jeanne Cooper) you won't be forgotten! You've set a marvelous example on how to live one's life. Your fans and the actors who worked with you are forever in your debt. Love you Always!

#89   2013/05/30 04:38AM
    Saturn12345

Quote countryMomof4: Oh thank you so much for posting these latest tweets. Makes me weepy again. What a fabulous woman!!

Corbin said that his Mom had a twin brother who passed away of the very same thing COPD.

#90   2013/05/31 08:16AM
    HOT PINK

Happy Friday, Everyone. Corbin posted this about 45 minutes ago:

"Felt strange going to sleep last night and not making some contact with everyone. I did have things to say, but honestly was just so beat by heat and getting things ready for mom's memorial this weekend. Stomach is turning, that kind of anxiety that works from inside. Nothing outward, just a flood of emotions, fear, and sorrow churning within. It would be enough to just "attend" a memorial, but to organize it, make sure it honors mom correctly ( as if there is a correct way) that's tough stuff. On top of that it's sweltering here and we've decided to do the event at her house in her garden.

I said a while back I'd share what I was going to say but honestly, it hasn't quite hit yet completely. I do know I want to mention that we are having the memorial at her home because she loved her home and her home loved her. If you saw the Y&R tribute to her, you heard a story repeated about empathy for a door knob. Well, my mom loved her home and felt for it as if it were a living thing. And in many ways it was, filled with laughter of grandkids, swimming, Christmas' and Thanksgivings... She loved her home for that. It was part of our family. And her home is sad now. It misses her and I swear, I can feel that up there. So because of all that we are honoring her there, with her closest family and friends. I can already tell the house is happier for it. Planted roses up there all day yesterday (in the heat) and I could feel the house smiling... and a distant whisper of my mom's voice..."nice" and "thank you." She was smiling down yesterday.

I'm also going to mention that like my mom, her house is simple, no Hollywood largeness going on there. In the end it is important to understand that my mom was a simple person, from a small and humble upbringing. That simplicity was always at odds with the demand of a career in Hollywood - fighting it. But it was that struggle, that 12 full rounds in the ring that she finally completed on May 8, that fueled her and those in the crowd, cheering her on, betting on her... counting on her. And that is why we are happy for her today, she is at peace now, the fight is over, the battle between simple and grand back to one.

But her legacy MUST live on. If we don't all remember her lessons on compassion, equality, human rights, empathy and love, then that fight will have been for nothing. And that's not right. No, she wasn't a Saint and wouldn't want to be one (hell, her language alone would disqualify her from that) but she did show us a way to a better life on this earth. I for one will honor that for all my days and encourage others to do the same.

I suppose my speech will go something like that. I pray her continuing love will settle my nerves today. Time to change the focus and get back onto the business of life."

« 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list