List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper

Started by Candace at 2013/05/09 11:23AM
    Latest post: 2014/05/16 03:13PM, Views: 19621, Replies: 189
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:
    #1   2013/05/09 11:23AM
    Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper
    Candace

http://soaps.sheknow...3127/

#2   2013/05/09 11:48AM
    Re: Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper
    HOT PINK

Lovely article about Jeanne, Candace! She was such a wonderful lady. I grew up watching her on so many TV shows, and I am going to miss her terribly. Here is a link to a list of TV shows appeared in:
    www.imdb.com/name/nm0178137/. When she joined YR in November 1973, I was so happy!

Hope it's okay to post the message Corbin posted on Facebook earlier:

"Okay, so... first day. As the weight of loss sets in, I'm comforted by a beautiful day; birds chirping outside and a colorful spring garden. I look around my house, the places mom sat, holding court... fond memories. I see pictures of her on the news in wonderful tributes, the Internet, and that beaming face and a powerful soul. I know she lives on through us, her family, her body of work, and the love she showered over everyone she came in contact with. But I feel that today will have have it's empty, quiet, reflective moments as I try to reconstruct and rise up to a new life without her. I already miss her terribly...that thing most of us know... not being able to pick up the phone and just say hello. I will let it pass through me however and not fight it, but rather experience it as part of my journey now. I know with each day her smile and light will grow brighter once again, erasing the past few weeks until all that remains is the incredible spirit and force that she was on this earth. I will try my best to dig deep and truly understand all that she was, stood for and represented. So many positive values in life. She passed those values on to me but they often became blurred and muddied by the grind of my own life.

I can't help but feel a greater purpose in all of this. So much of what I've been trying to do with my life, through my own family, my films, the stories I tell is to bring some comfort and solution to a terribly hurting world. She took that hurt on her shoulders, and made it a burden, and then showed us - at least me - how to heal it. So I cant help but think that now it is my job - and all of ours to an extent - when our world so desperately needs it (watch any single news cast these days) to find ways, at the most very personal and singular if not cellular level, to bring some understanding, peace and yes, LOVE to the wounds of our world. But those are big, broad words, and I know deeper, there is more than that. Something specific. Something each of us can do. Easily. Actions that don't take money, or really, much time. It's in the very smallest of aspect of our lives. So today, during these quiet moments I will reflect on her life, the lessons she tried to reveal, the greater purpose for us all and bring them to some sort of summation so that I might employ them in all that I do from here on, both personally and professionally. She was here for a purpose, a purpose in scope equal to the force she was... now it's time to fully discover it and honor it. I miss you mom. My eternal love and gratitude for having known you."

I hope he will continue posting about his mom. I'm sure he and his brother and sister have so many wonderful stories to tell. I'm still reading her book, and it is giving me a wonderful insight into Jeanne and her life. "Not Young, Still Restless" will always be one of my most treasured possessions.

Jeanne gave us all so many hours of fabulous entertainment on YR and she will be sorely missed. She ROCKED as Katherine and no one can ever replace her!

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2013/05/09 11:51AM
    #3   2013/05/09 12:06PM
    pink kiity

i hope sometime in yours life time you write a book about you and yours mom it would be very interesting,

#4   2013/05/09 12:12PM
    habbyfan

Hi Pink I would like to see the writers re-estalish the Chancellor Family in G/C to rival the Newman Family who have become boring.

Katherine had family of all ages who could be interesting in a s/l and it would be her legacy.

#5   2013/05/09 10:59PM
    HOT PINK

Hello, Everyone. Corbin posted this around 1:20 this morning:

"Tough day. Really tough. Missed mom more than you can imagine, and was reminded of her at every turn, every corner. Spent some time with the good folks and friends at Young and Restless, first having a good ole cry and then trying to figure out "what to do." I mean, mom's been a presence in that building and on that show for 40 years. You can't just say, "oh well, it was a good ride!" So we dealt with stuff, some of the what I'm now calling "mechanics of death." Stuff you gotta deal with even while grieving.

Over on the spiritual ball field I tried to find "signs" that she was okay - stupid stuff. Okay, I did see a pretty amazing butterfly and an incredible garden of roses while listening to George Jones' amazing song "Bed of Roses." I also saw an incredible rainbow tonight... maybe... All in all I might of worked it too hard and just didn't let go. Faith was also tested. Too many times the question, "what if this is it, the rest... a manufacture of our minds to ease the pain?" It's okay, faith is strengthened when tested. I say bring it. Clearly all over the map tonight but that is a true reflection of where I'm at today. Just letting it flow through, work it's way through my veins, sweat it out. Sorry if it's pouring out on you.

I had been thinking of writing a book for some time now (well before mom became ill) So many thoughts and shapes that I wanted to put into words regarding faith, family, and community that have become new cornerstones of my life and, to be a bit lofty, solutions for a hurting world. But I waited to begin writing as I generally do. I have no need, no deadline or financial gain in doing so, I do it for me and and for us. So I can afford to wait until that exact moment where pen must hit paper and I'm no longer in control. While my mom was battling these last few days it became clear, almost an "order," that I should start writing the day after she passes (and it was certain by then that she would pass soon.) But today came and went and I didn't begin. But I still have a few hours so I will do so here, and then perhaps copy and paste a few days from now. I tend to follow through on promises made, especially to self. It has also become clear how it must begin, and I think goes something like this...

My mother died yesterday, May 8, 2013 at 9:50 A.M. Pacific Standard Time. And while the weight of the moment crashed down on me, crushing me; "the end," I knew in my heart that was false. Categorically false! A journey I had begun several years earlier simply hit another milestone, though one so powerful that it would bring all the uncategorized shapes and rough edges of a lifetime into a single, concise focus and reference point; not "the end," but a "true beginning."

I feel better already."

I would love Corbin to write that book he spoke of, and maybe someday he will. I know he has so many wonderful memories of his mother and some great stories to tell. My prayers and thoughts are with him, Collin, Caren and their entire family. Through them, Wilma Jeanne Cooper's legacy will continue. And, all of us on this YR board will always remember Jeanne as Brock's Duchess, the great Katherine Chancellor. She may be gone, but she will never ever be forgotten.

#6   2013/05/10 10:08AM
    HOT PINK

Hi, Everyone. Corbin posted this on Facebook about an hour ago:

"Woke up to a beautiful morning, nature screaming outside, "come play." Took my tea to the garden and listened. An abundance of birds, insects... it was magnificently deafening. Asked "mom are you in there?" No answer of course, not the one I'm used to, that hearty voice growling back, "what do you think, idiot? Just shut up and keep listening." So I did. I sat still, looked and listened deeper into it all... small yellow flowers of two trees we just planted, dropping to the ground, returning to the earth, and new buds springing forth.... and then a hummingbird. Now I've never seen a hummingbird in our garden! My mother on the other hand has one of those feeders at her place, inviting them. "Okay," I thought, "I'll take that and just shut up for the rest of the day, keep listening, quietly." Nature; what an incredible healer. As true and evident piece of science of the bigger picture, and God... at least for me.

I have to comment on the continued outpouring of love and kindness that is coming in from all quarters; old friends from school, LA LAW pals, people I've met only once at various points in my life but promised to reach out one day, and of course those closest and dearest to me today; Psych family, my closest friends and of course our immediate family. So much love and warmth. And while I'm the one receiving it, I know it is generated by the engine that still, somehow, in a hummingbird perhaps, continues to churn away; mom. She is bringing old friends together, speaking the word LOVE to one another, over and over.

Last I want to share an beautiful moment I had yesterday while visiting The Young and the Restless. It is of my mom's dressing room door, which, for now remains closed. But the tributes outside are just... staggering. I wasn't sure if I was ready to see it but decided to anyway. I'm glad I did. Not sure what the next minutes, hours, days or years will bring, but if I can continue to find the joy in the moments I have this morning, all is good in the world and mom's work, truest work, lives on."

Here is the link to the photo Corbin took of the door to Jeanne's dressing room at YR:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151554720490914&set=a.111693310913....

#7   2013/05/11 10:23AM
    HOT PINK

Here's a message from Corbin that he posted on Facebook earlier today:

"The day continued to bring peace with only brief moments/flashes of sorrow. For the most part I've come to a quicker than expected belief that my mom, right until the end, worked her magic and made all things exactly as they should be. I played back the last couple weeks and whereas I thought maybe she wanted more time, I think I was wrong - that was me wanting more. There were so many "hints" of her "ready to go." But she would graciously play it out until we were all ready, and in our proper places on the "stage." The consummate director.

This evening we gathered at her house for a meal. I was, admittedly frightened, not knowing if I would be ready to see this hub where the family had gathered for so many years, swimming in the pool, eating birthday dinners at her large table, or just laying next to her on the bed, talking about "stuff." But again, I was wrong. It was magnificent. I know I use that word quite a bit, but it was, it was extraordinary. Sure, had a quick cry when I went into her bedroom, smelled the sheets, the traces of her scent, but then it all suddenly lifted and there we were, together, her family, eating at the table once again, laughing. And she was most definitely with us, offering up her home as always, seated right alongside us at the table.

My brother in law shared with me her final scene from Young and Restless, one I had heard about only yesterday. Her final bit of "acting," or as I'm coming to believe, "being." Mom never acted, she fully became the role. Like with so many things in her life, the lines we usually draw between where we stand on issues or the line between actor and character - they simply didn't exist for her. All things simply "are." Well, as many of you know by now, that was her final scene. In it I saw a woman, who some two months ago "knew" that this was to be her farewell scene. The end of a 40 year journey on the show and a sixty year journey as an actor. Her simple "goodnight" at the end - an improvised line - pretty much said it all. But the entire two minutes or so - if you study them carefully - is the stuff of legends. Each word, her mannerisms... all extraordinary now in the context of what was coming. I'm attaching it here, watch closely and you'll see a woman in complete control of her destiny - right up until the end. My mom. Wow! A mystery. A magnificence!"

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=u6mJmgyX2kc#t=1621s

#8   2013/05/12 11:25AM
    HOT PINK

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! I hope all of you who are mothers are having a wonderful day with your families.

Corbin posted this about 12 hours ago:

"Spent the day doing some of what I call "the mechanics of death." That stuff you just have to suck it up and do when someone passes. Not easy, especially while grieving. We wanted to get a few things out of the way however so tomorrow we can celebrate Mother's day, with none of that other business at our door. I know I'll wake up feeling a bit lost tomorrow but next to me will be my incredible, beautiful and supportive wife Amanda. I haven't said much about her during all this, but she has, as always, been a rock, there for me, quietly ready to pick me up when I stumble. And I have stumbled!

I would also like to celebrate and honor all mother's out there who have shared your stories with me here over the last several weeks. I said a while back that I felt selfish, so much space here about me, me, me. So tomorrow, in honor of my mother, I want to do what she would have me do and that is to celebrate and honor you. Mother's are a mysterious thing - a great wonder. Someone today asked if it was harder to loose my mom or my dad. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but my mom, beside being my mom, was Jeanne Cooper, this bigger than life...force. At times, I had to sit back, with many of you and just watch in awe as this magnificent woman moved through space and time. So to loose her has been a bit more difficult. Perhaps just by the enormity of it all. That said, I cried for my father more... not really getting all on the table before he passed, with many questions still to ask. With my mom, it has all been laid out, we knew how we felt about one another, there were no secrets, no false claims. And it is difficult, if for no other reason that I miss that ability to share truths.

Last, many have asked where you can make contributions or do something for one of her many charities. I would say first and foremost, spread love, spread peace, spread equality and strive to better humanity. Work toward human rights and animal rights. Do these things on a daily basis... an hourly basis, every minute of every day. Beyond that there is a fantastic treatment facility in Texas that she co founded and I know your support there would mean the world to her. Here's the link:

www.springboardcenter.com/

I hope you don't mind my continuing this friendship and conversation. I know the time will come where this story ends and frankly, I'm not looking forward to that. You all have been so remarkable supportive of me on this difficult leg of my journey. Perhaps we will move onto other things. I'd like to think we can keep the dialogue going."

I know today is a very sad, bittersweet one for Corbin, Collin and Caren and their families. But, I know they have wonderful memories of their mother that they will treasure forever.

#9   2013/05/12 04:34PM
    MsSuperSuds

Just ran across this link to the tribute paid to Jeanne Cooper on CBS Sunday Morning today. Hope it works.

www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50146656n

#10   2013/05/12 05:30PM
    HOT PINK

Quote MsSuperSuds: Just ran across this link to the tribute paid to Jeanne Cooper on CBS Sunday Morning today. Hope it works.

www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50146656n

Hi, MsSuperSuds - Thanks for sharing this link. I really enjoyed it and am glad CBS paid tribute to Jeanne. Though, it was (in my opinion) way too short!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list