List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Why did they kill John Abbott?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Why did they kill John Abbott?

Started by kn1231 at 2013/03/03 07:28PM
    Latest post: 2013/03/04 05:51PM, Views: 1065, Replies: 14
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2013/03/03 07:28PM
    Why did they kill John Abbott?
    kn1231

I've always wondered what the point of killing off his character was. He appears more often then someone of the current living cast members, so I really don't understand what the point of him dying was. What do you all think?

#2   2013/03/03 07:44PM
    Re: Why did they kill John Abbott?
    HOT PINK

Ex-Head Writer Lynn Marie Latham is the one who decided to kill off John, from what I've read. Jerry Douglas didn't want to leave the role, if I remember correctly. I've never understood why LML decided to kill John. It was a HUGE mistake, in my opinion.

I've sent TPTB a scenario where it's discovered that Alistair Wallingford, the man Jack hired to gaslight Gloria a few years ago turns out to actually be John. Sure wish they'd use my scenario so John could return permanently. The Abbott's need their Patriarch back alive and well.

#3   2013/03/03 08:14PM
    PKaBigFan

Quote HOT PINK: Ex-Head Writer Lynn Marie Latham is the one who decided to kill off John, from what I've read. Jerry Douglas didn't want to leave the role, if I remember correctly. I've never understood why LML decided to kill John. It was a HUGE mistake, in my opinion.

I've sent TPTB a scenario where it's discovered that Alistair Wallingford, the man Jack hired to gaslight Gloria a few years ago turns out to actually be John. Sure wish they'd use my scenario so John could return permanently. The Abbott's need their Patriarch back alive and well.

Your almost there just want to add what I had read too. I read that MAB (Maria Bell) found it unbelievable that a single father could be a Founder/CEO of a women's cosmetic company and wanted John gone. I don't really see that as the real reason and haven't read anything to discredit it but MAB in the last few years has seemed to have turned her back on the show's history and fans thus deserved her walking papers IMO. As far as bringing him back there's been alot of "Ghost" appearances as well as all the characters were present when his life support was turned off, Funeral, etc. Since there was no suspicious circumstances (missing body etc) kinda hard to explain why John would be gone for so long. His family was his lifes work not his company. He wouldn't leave and let them believe he was dead like that.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/03/03 08:20PM
    #4   2013/03/03 08:17PM
    HumptyDumpty22

Quote kn1231: I've always wondered what the point of killing off his character was. He appears more often then someone of the current living cast members, so I really don't understand what the point of him dying was. What do you all think?

It's cheaper to pay a ghost.

#5   2013/03/03 08:23PM
    PKaBigFan

They also don't need meal breaks and will work overtime

#6   2013/03/03 09:45PM
    HOT PINK

Quote PKaBigFan:
    Quote HOT PINK: Ex-Head Writer Lynn Marie Latham is the one who decided to kill off John, from what I've read. Jerry Douglas didn't want to leave the role, if I remember correctly. I've never understood why LML decided to kill John. It was a HUGE mistake, in my opinion.

Your almost there just want to add what I had read too. I read that MAB (Maria Bell) found it unbelievable that a single father could be a Founder/CEO of a women's cosmetic company and wanted John gone. I don't really see that as the real reason and haven't read anything to discredit it but MAB in the last few years has seemed to have turned her back on the show's history and fans thus deserved her walking papers IMO. As far as bringing him back there's been alot of "Ghost" appearances as well as all the characters were present when his life support was turned off, Funeral, etc. Since there was no suspicious circumstances (missing body etc) kinda hard to explain why John would be gone for so long. His family was his lifes work not his company. He wouldn't leave and let them believe he was dead like that.

FYI - Maria Arena Bell did not become co-Head Writer of YR until December 26, 2007 and was not writing for or associated with YR in 2006, when LML killed John. It was MAB who brought John back as a ghost because viewers were really upset because he had been killed off. It was LML who decided John couldn't be a single father and the head of a large company like Jabot. But, John was married to Dina when he founded Jabot, and had been running the company very successfully for years after Dina left him. So, LML's decision to kill him was totally illogical (and ridiculous), in my opinion.

Many characters on soaps have died on screen and have later turned up alive. I think it could also be done with Alistair Wallingford turning out to really be John.

#7   2013/03/03 10:58PM
    PurrrrrrrKitty

Quote HOT PINK:
    Quote PKaBigFan:

FYI - Maria Arena Bell did not become co-Head Writer of YR until December 26, 2007 and was not writing for or associated with YR in 2006, when LML killed John. It was MAB who brought John back as a ghost because viewers were really upset because he had been killed off. It was LML who decided John couldn't be a single father and the head of a large company like Jabot. But, John was married to Dina when he founded Jabot, and had been running the company very successfully for years after Dina left him. So, LML's decision to kill him was totally illogical (and ridiculous), in my opinion.

Many characters on soaps have died on screen and have later turned up alive. I think it could also be done with Alistair Wallingford turning out to really be John.

Pink, I totally agree with you.. in some way, John should be brought back.. I know it is a bit late.. but with all of the other stupid story lines in the past.. this needs to corrected.. He can be a supportive character.. not the main one that he once was.. but definitely needs to be there.

It would make more sense to have him return in real life than to have him keep appearing as a ghost.. MAB should have
    corrected that.. just like she did with others.

#8   2013/03/04 04:33AM
    HeyMon

LML was weird about the Abbott's. Lynne didn't really know how to write for them, and tried to replace them with the Baldwins, but it didnt work. Cause that part of the Show became The Gloria Abbott Bardwell Show, and it was too much Judy Chapman.

As far as John's death arc went, it was a ratings smash, and produced rating in the high 4s and low 5s.

#9   2013/03/04 11:43AM
    HumptyDumpty22

Quote PKaBigFan: They also don't need meal breaks and will work overtime

and they don't need 'toilet' breaks either....do ghosts still need Wardrobe and Makeup to attend to them?

#10   2013/03/04 12:32PM
    countryMomof4

^^They must. John always looks so well dressed.

I don't know who got rid of the character but it was a HUGE mistake.

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list