List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Role Models & Respect

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Role Models & Respect

Started by elsebark at 2013/01/18 12:12PM
    Latest post: 2013/01/19 12:02PM, Views: 6243, Replies: 16
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2013/01/18 12:12PM
    Role Models & Respect
    elsebark

Never posted on this board. But after today's episode I felt the need to question the writers concerning the character of Fenmore and the complete disrespect this character displays to his parents. You can accomplish the same effect without the swearing and rudeness and just plain meanness. In this day of hatred and feelings of entitlement by Fen's generation I find it appalling that Y&R can't do better. My parents would have slapped me into next week if I had been so disrespectful to any adult. We need better roles model for the teens of this country and we need to start everywhere including soap operas. I understand that it is indeed a soap opera but there are limits and teens watch this show every day. As writers you can do better.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/01/18 12:16PM
    #2   2013/01/18 12:16PM
    Re: Role Models & Respect
    Just Mary

Quote elsebark: Never posted on this board. But after today's episode I felt the need to question the writers concerning the character of Fenmore and the complete disrespect this character displays to his parents. In this day of hatred and entitlement by Fen's generation I find it appalling that Y&R can't do better than have this character act so ugly towards the parents. My parents would have slapped me into next week. We need better roles model for the teens of this country and we need start everywhere including soap operas.

Welcome to the Board!

I could not agree more and do not understand this side of Fen. He could not have been raised in a more loving home than Michael and Lauren's and Lauren has another son, Scotty who is not like that at all. Fen must just have a screw lose or something.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/01/18 12:18PM
    #3   2013/01/18 12:20PM
    deceived

I think this is realistic... for some reason, kids today are filled with seething anger... and I don't really know why or where it's coming from... my three boys were raised in private Christian school, and in church three times a week, I have done my best... but one of my boys is full of anger, and we have no idea where this came from, he had everything material, etc, a boy would need... my two other boys are just fine...so I think this is realistic S/L.

#4   2013/01/18 01:01PM
    Ebybrowempoly

Quote elsebark: Never posted on this board. But after today's episode I felt the need to question the writers concerning the character of Fenmore and the complete disrespect this character displays to his parents. You can accomplish the same effect without the swearing and rudeness and just plain meanness. In this day of hatred and feelings of entitlement by Fen's generation I find it appalling that Y&R can't do better. My parents would have slapped me into next week if I had been so disrespectful to any adult. We need better roles model for the teens of this country and we need to start everywhere including soap operas. I understand that it is indeed a soap opera but there are limits and teens watch this show every day. As writers you can do better.

WELCOME
    i agree the way they are having fen out towrad his parents is so wrong.if i ever acted that way toward my mon and dad .i would n't have teeth and i wouldn't be able to sit donw for a month. i hear kids talk nasty to thier parents and i am like omg . i was so happy one day when my son taold hif friend dud you don't takj to your mom like that. you might be mad at her but you don't yell at her. the gusy said well what about your mom . he said first i wouldn't talk to her that way and next she has no problem puttiing me in my place. the way the kids are today has alot to do with the way they are taught . i believe in talking but i also believe nothing wtong with a whpping when needed but only on the butt .

#5   2013/01/18 01:35PM
    mommmy

Yeah he has no respect for his parents at all and thats their fault. They let him mouth off to them and they walk away with absolutely no consequences and that is a huge problem.

#6   2013/01/18 01:49PM
    Benay

Why does he still have a car and cell phone? I understand that on a TV show they're not going to show parents slapping their kids silly (which is exactly what the rude little punk deserves) but some sort of punishment should have been dished out by now. Come on writers!

#7   2013/01/18 03:24PM
    ElleLa

Quote deceived: I think this is realistic... for some reason, kids today are filled with seething anger... and I don't really know why or where it's coming from... my three boys were raised in private Christian school, and in church three times a week, I have done my best... but one of my boys is full of anger, and we have no idea where this came from, he had everything material, etc, a boy would need... my two other boys are just fine...so I think this is realistic S/L.

Welcome elsebark!

I understand your frustration but agree with deceived. I grew up alongside a lot of wealthy spoiled brats (I was not one of them), that said and did the most appalling things to their friends, teachers, house staff and parents. They were constantly excused or bailed out of trouble and were never denied any luxury and often even rewarded for terrible behavior. Sometimes their parents seemed completely unconcerned and other times at their wits end. Fen just reminds me of some of the evil little underground conduits of filth that make everyone else's lives a living hell. I agree it's tough to watch but I'm hoping there's a very impactful ulterior motive to this bully S/L.

Sorry to hear deceived, perhaps some counseling could help the situation if you haven't already tried it.

#8   2013/01/18 03:47PM
    Its not real

We are once again coming up against the question if it is a soap operas job to stand out as a model of how things should be or if they simply try to reflect the world as it more or less is.

I think the way Fen is acting is quite a realistic representation of how some kids do behave in the world today. Is it nice to watch?...no. Is it a good role model ? ...no. But it isn't that far off what is going on out there.

Just as some people would like to have everyone on the soaps use perfect grammar every time they open their mouths, and want every child to be a model of politeness and respect, they want every guy to be clean cut with short hair but in soaps which have always been the preserve of illicit liaisons and questionable moral behaviour, I think it is kind of silly to expect all the teens to be model young people.

#9   2013/01/18 04:51PM
    arlenegay

as for lauren thinking her baby fen is so very innocent---i have seen that many times, i feel that the 'blind' parent knows on some level her child is guilty but to admit her feelings means she must deal with the problem. most would rather not deal or don't know how to deal with it. it is just easier to deny that her child would be capabe of such things. whole s/l-very true to real life.

#10   2013/01/18 04:53PM
    jimjay001

Quote Benay: Why does he still have a car and cell phone? I understand that on a TV show they're not going to show parents slapping their kids silly (which is exactly what the rude little punk deserves) but some sort of punishment should have been dished out by now. Come on writers!

True THAT!

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list