List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: how much different is it now to then Y/R

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

how much different is it now to then Y/R

Started by annal at 2013/01/04 03:51PM
    Latest post: 2013/01/04 06:05PM, Views: 340, Replies: 9
    page:
    #1   2013/01/04 03:51PM
    how much different is it now to then Y/R
    annal

Im just wondering if it's changed a lot from then to now and if so how.i have been watching only for 7years but I'm talking about 15 or so yearsi know it has but just wondering

#2   2013/01/04 04:35PM
    Re: how much different is it now to then Y/R
    Rilynne

Quote annal: Im just wondering if it's changed a lot from then to now and if so how.i have been watching only for 7years but I'm talking about 15 or so yearsi know it has but just wondering

It has changed in so many ways and yet some things remain the same, sounds strange huh. You can look up a lot of old footage of Y&R on youtube. You should check it out. It is fun.

#3   2013/01/04 04:44PM
    ElleLa

There used to be these things called:
    character bios
    character studies
    background information
    plot
    wrapped-up story lines
    location shots
    extras
    humor
    gorgeous wardrobe
    fantastic publicity shots
    primetime advertising
    original score
    legacy characters
    family breakfasts
    naturally aged children
    clean sets
    new sets
    nuanced and sophisticated dialogue
    passionate love scenes
    non-ridiculous love scenes
    non-smutty love scenes
    tenderness
    ..it has changed a bit

#4   2013/01/04 04:49PM
    Lucy3

Great idea annal. So many things are different and so many never change. I can't tell much difference in the dysfunction known as the Nikki/Victor marriage. It was ridiculous then and even more so now. The fight to control both Jabot and Newman has gone on for as long as I can remember. Having at least three guys in line to be papa to every pregnant woman's baby never changes. Having at least one woman who is a superb*tch has been around for all the years I've watched. Lauren, Kathryn, Jill, Nikki and Phyllis have all filled that position and probably a few I'm forgetting. Victor hating his various sons in law has been so overdone that it has gotten creepy. It's like he's jealous. And of course Victors ability to set anyone up for whatever crime he desires has been played so many times that we all just have to be sick to death of it. We've seen many, many changes but the underlying stories never change.

#5   2013/01/04 04:53PM
    Lucy3

Quote ElleLa: There used to be these things called:
    character bios
    character studies
    background information
    plot
    wrapped-up story lines
    location shots
    extras
    humor
    gorgeous wardrobe
    fantastic publicity shots
    primetime advertising
    original score
    legacy characters
    family breakfasts
    naturally aged children
    clean sets
    new sets
    nuanced and sophisticated dialogue
    passionate love scenes
    non-ridiculous love scenes
    non-smutty love scenes
    tenderness
    ..it has changed a bit

You're right but you know what always bugged me about those family meals? No one ever ate anything. I don't think that in all my years of soap watching I've ever seen an empty plate. They always notice the time and are late! They rush off and leave the food. Poor Mamie had as much to throw out as she brought to the table.

#6   2013/01/04 04:55PM
    Tiny Bubbles

The only other soap opera that I saw this kind of death was ATWT. I have never seen a premier soap opera like this end up on this kind of life support. Since they let Latham go, this show has just steadily deteriorated into something that isn't even recognizable. Even the characters have been so distorted that they aren't even recognizable anymore. I have never seen this kind of hatchet to the history of the show and I am surprised that they haven't been called on it more than they have. Lazy writers, obviously Sony/CBS have no clue and terrible producers have tanked this show. For a great show like this to just have been so destroyed is just sad to me. At one time, this was the greatest soap on daytime and now it is just dying on life support and being written as something that isn't even recognizable anymore. So sad to see this.

#7   2013/01/04 04:57PM
    habbyfan

Smuttville began when MAB came over from B&B ... she brought the sexcapades with her.

#8   2013/01/04 05:18PM
    SuziDecorator

I, for one, really do miss the old Y&R - when stories were developed as well as relationships and you felt like you were having a small peek into the lives of the citizens of GC rather than accidentally viewing a smut show.

The sponsors want the "latest and greatest" and keeping up with the rash of nasty immoral "entertainment" in an effort to increase the bottom line is the most important thing on their mind. IMO, if they'd just write a good, in-depth, well-constructed soap they'd have more happy sponsors than they know what to do with. Surely even the younger viewers are getting a belly full of this garbage?

#9   2013/01/04 05:34PM
    Tiny Bubbles

Quote habbyfan: Smuttville began when MAB came over from B&B ... she brought the sexcapades with her.

She ruined B&B and when she came to Y&R, she huffed and she puffed and she blew this soap opera apart. I have never seen anyone come into a soap like that and then just proceed to tear it apart. She really brought this show and its characters down to thier lowest common denominator and the new writers don't have a clue what to do to fix this mess and they don't seem to want to know anymore than the other idiot did when she came to write the show and produce it. It is really a sham of what it truly once was.

#10   2013/01/04 06:05PM
    annal

Thanks everyone it sounds like things have somewhat changed.i knew about Abbott and newmans hated each other but why so long?people get along down the road there friends so what's up with them?has it been even before John died?

page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list