List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: How will new writers treat character of Phyllis

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

How will new writers treat character of Phyllis

Started by curtish at 2012/10/05 06:17PM
    Latest post: 2012/10/08 05:21PM, Views: 3573, Replies: 55
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:
    #41   2012/10/08 09:26AM
    Re: How will new writers treat character of Phyllis
    Shirl62

Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Sinny-0313:
    Quote curtish: I wonder how the new writers will write for Phyllis.

Will she be the same trashy tramp, or will they tone her down some?

Will she be the star of the show, or will she have to share
    the limelight?

Will they consider her to be worthy of change and redemption
    after all she has done to others?

Personally, I hope they fix all of the characters.. almost every single one took some serious damage with MAB at the helm...
    I do hope they fix Phyllis.. I hate seeing her pathetic over Nick.. the Phyllis I grew to love never would have taken his treatment,.. she would have hurt him by now.. that is what I want to see. I want to see her embrace her evil side again and start making these losers pay for messing with her.. that is the Phyllis I want to see... the take no prisoners one..

I hope Nick is her first target.

Amen Sinny...Amen. The Phyllis I knew and respected would have never taken this crap from Nick. SHe is not some simpering heroine. She is pitbull. That was amusing.

I loved the Phyllis that Mr. Bell redeemed her to become. I never want to see her with Jack again, but that Phyllis, the Phyllis she became when they got together, that is the essence of the real Phyllis. Mr. Bell nailed that character and I would love to see the new writers get in touch with her and bring her back. You are so right. Phyllis would have never put up with Nick cheating on her with Sharon in the first place. She wouldn't have gone to that room and tore up Sharon's stuff either. She would have taken it out on Nick himself. She would have never played like she didn't know when he came back from Paris and she sure as heck would have never stayed with him as long as she did either. In fact, the Phyllis that Mr. Bell redeemed her to be would have never remarried Nick or been weak for him for even a moment, if anything, she would have had him kneeling at her feet instead and begging her not to go. When she left, he would have been beggging her to come back. Phyllis loved Jack with all of her whole heart because that is how she loves. She loved Nick that way as well, but both men betrayed her and for that, Phyllis would never go back to either of them. That is the Phyllis that I want to see back again.

#42   2012/10/08 09:33AM
    Shirl62

Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote PurrrrrrrKitty: MAB made Phyllis more trampy.. but didn't she do that to all of the females??

I would think they would not change Phyllis that much.. she is suppose to be a trouble maker and a vixen.. she is the spice and she needs to be there as spice.

She is suppose to be the opposite of Sharon, although MAB made them equal.

I like both characters.. meant to serve very different purposes.

Kitty, you are sooo right. It's been rumored that MS wants Phyllis to be the lead herione of the show. That's Sharon's (and Nikki's role in a different age bracket). We don't need two. And no, turning Sharon into a mini Phyllis and changing her personality after 20 years did not go over well with the viewers. MS/Phyllis became popular by playing the anti-herione. She needs to stick with that formula. It's where she excels. But we DO NOT need two Sharon's or even a flip of Sharon and Phyllis.

Phyllis has popularity on this show precisely because she is the heroine. Sharon is the female victim. Phyllis goes through horrible adversity and yet she always remains firmly with her feet on the ground and I have no doubt that she will come out of this 20 year old debacle with her feet firmly on the ground again. Some people relate heavily to a victim, they see themselves there and that is what has made Sharon's character so popular. They are two very different characters and are popular for very different reasons. Frankly, I don't even see the reason why people are always trying to compare them as to which is the better. They each have thier own issues and they each live thier own lives in very different ways. Nick was supposed to be the prize but as it has turned out, he is not even close. He has failed both women. He has basically proven that he isn't a good man for either woman so all of the fuss over the Phick/Shick wars was in vein, as I see it. I don't think that Nick Newman deserves to be with any woman. He can't get it up.

Not trying to be rude...but go look up the term protagonist/heroine and antagonist/villain...Phyllis has only been the heroine this past 1/2 years. Sharon is a heroine (you may call it a victim if you like and I guess it is in a way but that is what a heroine is.)

I am very familiar with the terms and what they mean. However, they are not to be misconstrued to fit a circumstance. Sharon is the victim, not the herione. I think that people confuse that fact because to thier minds, she lost a kid and that makes her something out of the ordinary, not true. It does not afford her the heroine. Precisely because of the circumstance, she became and even bigger victim, of her own making. Listen, I know it is difficult to even try and see the character you hate as anything but your object of where you need to put it, but Phyllis is the herione. She has been every since Mr. Bell wrote her redeemed and made her that way.

#43   2012/10/08 09:39AM
    ajsp35801

Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Sinny-0313:

the limelight?

Personally, I hope they fix all of the characters.. almost every single one took some serious damage with MAB at the helm...
    I do hope they fix Phyllis.. I hate seeing her pathetic over Nick.. the Phyllis I grew to love never would have taken his treatment,.. she would have hurt him by now.. that is what I want to see. I want to see her embrace her evil side again and start making these losers pay for messing with her.. that is the Phyllis I want to see... the take no prisoners one..

Amen Sinny...Amen. The Phyllis I knew and respected would have never taken this crap from Nick. SHe is not some simpering heroine. She is pitbull. That was amusing.

I loved the Phyllis that Mr. Bell redeemed her to become. I never want to see her with Jack again, but that Phyllis, the Phyllis she became when they got together, that is the essence of the real Phyllis. Mr. Bell nailed that character and I would love to see the new writers get in touch with her and bring her back. You are so right. Phyllis would have never put up with Nick cheating on her with Sharon in the first place. She wouldn't have gone to that room and tore up Sharon's stuff either. She would have taken it out on Nick himself. She would have never played like she didn't know when he came back from Paris and she sure as heck would have never stayed with him as long as she did either. In fact, the Phyllis that Mr. Bell redeemed her to be would have never remarried Nick or been weak for him for even a moment, if anything, she would have had him kneeling at her feet instead and begging her not to go. When she left, he would have been beggging her to come back. Phyllis loved Jack with all of her whole heart because that is how she loves. She loved Nick that way as well, but both men betrayed her and for that, Phyllis would never go back to either of them. That is the Phyllis that I want to see back again.

ITA with everything you said about how Phyllis has been written with Nick.

I want to see Phyllis back with Jack. He was THE ONLY reason that she was brought on and redeemed...specifically for a pairing with him...as his one true love. And they fit perfectly together IMO. She never had to stifle herself with him. She could be as bad as she wanted and he supported her in that. Jack has never been a hero either...he was always the antagonist. I really resent that they changed Phyllis and turned her into Sharon for this pairing with Nick.

#44   2012/10/08 09:41AM
    canada gal

Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote PurrrrrrrKitty: MAB made Phyllis more trampy.. but didn't she do that to all of the females??

I would think they would not change Phyllis that much.. she is suppose to be a trouble maker and a vixen.. she is the spice and she needs to be there as spice.

Kitty, you are sooo right. It's been rumored that MS wants Phyllis to be the lead herione of the show. That's Sharon's (and Nikki's role in a different age bracket). We don't need two. And no, turning Sharon into a mini Phyllis and changing her personality after 20 years did not go over well with the viewers. MS/Phyllis became popular by playing the anti-herione. She needs to stick with that formula. It's where she excels. But we DO NOT need two Sharon's or even a flip of Sharon and Phyllis.

Phyllis has popularity on this show precisely because she is the heroine. Sharon is the female victim. Phyllis goes through horrible adversity and yet she always remains firmly with her feet on the ground and I have no doubt that she will come out of this 20 year old debacle with her feet firmly on the ground again. Some people relate heavily to a victim, they see themselves there and that is what has made Sharon's character so popular. They are two very different characters and are popular for very different reasons. Frankly, I don't even see the reason why people are always trying to compare them as to which is the better. They each have thier own issues and they each live thier own lives in very different ways. Nick was supposed to be the prize but as it has turned out, he is not even close. He has failed both women. He has basically proven that he isn't a good man for either woman so all of the fuss over the Phick/Shick wars was in vein, as I see it. I don't think that Nick Newman deserves to be with any woman. He can't get it up.

Not trying to be rude...but go look up the term protagonist/heroine and antagonist/villain...Phyllis has only been the heroine this past 1/2 years. Sharon is a heroine (you may call it a victim if you like and I guess it is in a way but that is what a heroine is.)

I am very familiar with the terms and what they mean. However, they are not to be misconstrued to fit a circumstance. Sharon is the victim, not the herione. I think that people confuse that fact because to thier minds, she lost a kid and that makes her something out of the ordinary, not true. It does not afford her the heroine. Precisely because of the circumstance, she became and even bigger victim, of her own making. Listen, I know it is difficult to even try and see the character you hate as anything but your object of where you need to put it, but Phyllis is the herione.She has been every since Mr. Bell wrote her redeemed and made her that way .

I have been watching Y&R for awhile and I don't remember when Phyllis was redeemed. Can you clarify for me, please.

#45   2012/10/08 09:47AM
    ajsp35801

Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:

I am very familiar with the terms and what they mean. However, they are not to be misconstrued to fit a circumstance. Sharon is the victim, not the herione. I think that people confuse that fact because to thier minds, she lost a kid and that makes her something out of the ordinary, not true. It does not afford her the heroine. Precisely because of the circumstance, she became and even bigger victim, of her own making. Listen, I know it is difficult to even try and see the character you hate as anything but your object of where you need to put it, but Phyllis is the herione. She has been every since Mr. Bell wrote her redeemed and made her that way.

I think you need to give that speech to yourself...not trying to be rude. Because it seems that you want to see Phyllis as something that she is not. Some characters, based on their part in the story, is protagonist at times then the antagonist at times. A classic soap heroine is often times seen as victimized because someone is doing things to her, i.e. protagonist. They are written to be the star of the story who the reader/viewers are supposed to sympathize with. That has always been doe eyed simpering annoying Sharon (not a fan). Phyllis drives the story most times and as such she is the antagonist/anti-heroine. Until recently when she had fist her sister out to get her as the antagonist, then Rickey and Daisy out to get her as the antagonist, and now Christine out to get her as the antagonist. That is a new for Phyllis. Heroines don't drive the story...they react to the villain who drives the story. Just writing 101.

#46   2012/10/08 09:53AM
    Shirl62

Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Sinny-0313:

the limelight?

I want to see Phyllis back with Jack. He was THE ONLY reason that she was brought on and redeemed...specifically for a pairing with him...as his one true love. And they fit perfectly together IMO. She never had to stifle herself with him. She could be as bad as she wanted and he supported her in that. Jack has never been a hero either...he was always the antagonist. I really resent that they changed Phyllis and turned her into Sharon for this pairing with Nick.

I agree that MAB made a huge mistake by not understanding or even knowing the character, Phyllis or how to write for her. Instead of growing Nick up to Phyllis, she always write Phyllis weakened for Nick. It didn't work. Latham didn't intend that, but then, MAB had no clue what she was doing anyway. As for Phyllis with Jack? I loved them, at first. I was turned off to them compeltely when it was written that Jack would never be able to love Phyllis as much as he hated Victor. If that could have changed, they would have been dynamite together. I always wanted to see Jack and Phyllis as the new Abbott family on the show but they failed with Jack for her. I am looking for a man for Phyllis that doesn't fail her. That does understand and loves her for who she is and what she is and how far she has come with her life and herself. A man who respects her and has her back. Nick and Jack were two very weak men, and I am tired of seeing Phyllis always propping them because when the going gets tough, they bail on her. That kind of stuff for Phyllis needs to end.

#47   2012/10/08 09:57AM
    ajsp35801

Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Sinny-0313:

the limelight?

I agree that MAB made a huge mistake by not understanding or even knowing the character, Phyllis or how to write for her. Instead of growing Nick up to Phyllis, she always write Phyllis weakened for Nick. It didn't work. Latham didn't intend that, but then, MAB had no clue what she was doing anyway. As for Phyllis with Jack? I loved them, at first. I was turned off to them compeltely when it was written that Jack would never be able to love Phyllis as much as he hated Victor. If that could have changed, they would have been dynamite together. I always wanted to see Jack and Phyllis as the new Abbott family on the show but they failed with Jack for her. I am looking for a man for Phyllis that doesn't fail her. That does understand and loves her for who she is and what she is and how far she has come with her life and herself. A man who respects her and has her back. Nick and Jack were two very weak men, and I am tired of seeing Phyllis always propping them because when the going gets tough, they bail on her. That kind of stuff for Phyllis needs to end.

THis is a soap...any man they put her with will fail her. The nature of the genre.

#48   2012/10/08 10:18AM
    Shirl62

Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:

I think you need to give that speech to yourself...not trying to be rude. Because it seems that you want to see Phyllis as something that she is not. Some characters, based on their part in the story, is protagonist at times then the antagonist at times. A classic soap heroine is often times seen as victimized because someone is doing things to her, i.e. protagonist. They are written to be the star of the story who the reader/viewers are supposed to sympathize with. That has always been doe eyed simpering annoying Sharon (not a fan). Phyllis drives the story most times and as such she is the antagonist/anti-heroine. Until recently when she had fist her sister out to get her as the antagonist, then Rickey and Daisy out to get her as the antagonist, and now Christine out to get her as the antagonist. That is a new for Phyllis. Heroines don't drive the story...they react to the villain who drives the story. Just writing 101.

No need to constantly apologize for being rude. I think that we see this differently, and that we can agree to disagree. That is not being rude.

#49   2012/10/08 12:04PM
    ajsp35801

Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:
    Quote Shirl62:
    Quote ajsp35801:

No need to constantly apologize for being rude. I think that we see this differently, and that we can agree to disagree. That is not being rude.

Sometimes the written word can come across as rude or sarcastic...just wanted to clarify. LOL.

#50   2012/10/08 12:43PM
    weatherholt3

I like Jack and Phyllis together, I hope they put them together as a couple down the road but not right away. I think Phyllis is more Phyllis when she is with Jack, I think every since they hooked her up with Nick she is weak, and I'm not a Phyllis fan. Your right the old Phyllis would of never put up with Nick cheating on her.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list