List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Grammatical errors...

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Grammatical errors...

Started by curtish at 2012/10/03 05:13PM
    Latest post: 2012/10/06 06:00PM, Views: 2522, Replies: 39
    « 1 2 3 4 page:
    #31   2012/10/06 02:17PM
    Re: Grammatical errors...
    HOT PINK

Quote HOT PINK: I also care. I grew up in a different time where we were taught proper grammar starting in elementary school on through high school. Another grammatical error that is constantly abused is ending a sentence with the word AT. Every time I did that in high school, my teachers would always respond, "It's behind the at." It didn't take me long to stop doing it.

Maybe it is fruitless to be so concerned about speaking "proper English" and using correct grammar. But, I believe in teaching children good manners, having respect for others and, yes, the importance of good grammar.

Dang, just realized I used the word AT at the end of a sentence. Shame on me!

#32   2012/10/06 03:00PM
    Air Force Se...

Your sarcastic comment about using AT at the end of a sentence
    is an example of why people no longer care about using correct grammar.

The American people have become lazy, uneducated, and apathetic about proper speech. Some of us do care, but it is quite obvious that you do not.

#33   2012/10/06 04:02PM
    Leel

Quote granny45:
    Quote curtish: When I hear the actors using incorrect grammar, I wonder if they know they are making mistakes, or do they just say it the way the writers wrote it, regardless if they know there are errors or not.

I know some actors are college graduates, so wouldn't they know about the very obvious mistakes made by the writers?

I guess my question is this: why doesn't someone----editor, director, writer, actor notice the error/and fix the problem?

Maybe they want it to seem more like real life. I know a lot of people in real life that don't use the correct grammar at times.

What bugs me is hearing the word PROTECT pronounced PRE-TECT. It's everywhere in news and commercials. And saying come-ene instead of com-ing gets my goat, also saying loosing instead of losing, that happens alot. I'm the one who corrects spelling on the notices posted at work. If my boss hadn't posted this notice: Pitchers Is For Residents Only instead of Pitchers ARE For Residents Only, I'd rip those notices down and redo them but the boss would know exactly who did it, lol! If I hear a mistake in grammar whether it's on the news, radio, even a tv show, it's glaring to me and I think it should be corrected.

#34   2012/10/06 04:58PM
    ilovela

I see errors all the time in the newspaper. Terrible that a journalist can't construct a simple sentence. I know people who repeatedly misuse words; even when they are aware, they continue to misuse them. "Irregardless" is one of my favorites, and saying "y'all", and "where's it at" and the word "tooken". If people read more, they would have a better understnading of the language. One of the female characters on Y&R always pronounces words wrong: she says een instead of ing at the end of her words. Walkeeeeen, talkeeeen, cheateeeen. It's annoyeeen me.

#35   2012/10/06 05:47PM
    reng

In casual conversation, "y'all" is a perfectly acceptable contraction of "you all." True, the word "you" would suffice, but "y'all" makes it clear that a whole group is being addressed.

It does drive me crazy when people misspell it as "ya'll."

Yes, I'm from the South.

By the way, you will probably begin to see many more grammatical errors in newspapers than you did in the past. That's because most newspapers are focusing more on their internet content, and copy editors are being laid off left and right. It's not unusual at all in both newspapers and TV reports to read or hear, "He was found laying in the road" — as opposed to the correct "lying." That drives me crazy since it was drilled in to us slightly older folks that hens lay, people lie.

#36   2012/10/06 05:52PM
    ilovela

Quote reng: In casual conversation, "y'all" is a perfectly acceptable contraction of "you all." True, the word "you" would suffice, but "y'all" makes it clear that a whole group is being addressed.

Yes, I'm from the South.

By the way, you will probably begin to see many more grammatical errors in newspapers than you did in the past. That's because most newspapers are focusing more on their internet content, and copy editors are being laid off left and right. It's not unusual at all in both newspapers and TV reports to read or hear, "He was found laying in the road" — as opposed to the correct "lying." That drives me crazy since it was drilled in to us slightly older folks that hens lay, people lie.

"Y'all" isn't so bad, but "all y'all" is criminal. My friend from Kentucky says it. "Are all y'all going with us?" Makes me cringe. And she drops things on the "ground" when she's in the house, and drops things on the "floor" when she's outside. God. Why am I friends with her?

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2012/10/06 05:56PM
    #37   2012/10/06 05:57PM
    reng

Quote ilovela:
    Quote reng: In casual conversation, "y'all" is a perfectly acceptable contraction of "you all." True, the word "you" would suffice, but "y'all" makes it clear that a whole group is being addressed.

Yes, I'm from the South.

"Y'all" isn't so bad, but "y'all all" is criminal. My friend from Kentucky says it. "Are y'all all going with us?" Makes me cringe.

I'm sometimes guilty of saying "might could," as in, "If I weren't from the South, I might could understand why "y'all all" bothers you so much.

I know it's not correct, but I grew up hearing it, and it just comes out!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/10/06 05:58PM
    #38   2012/10/06 05:57PM
    HOT PINK

Quote Air Force Sergeant: Your sarcastic comment about using AT at the end of a sentence

The American people have become lazy, uneducated, and apathetic about proper speech. Some of us do care, but it is quite obvious that you do not.

FYI - I wasn't being sarcastic and, quite honestly, I find your post to me quite offensive. I was making a joke about my putting the word AT at the end of my sentence. Guess we have a different sense of humor, which is all good. But, if you read what I had originally said: "I also care. I grew up in a different time where we were taught proper grammar starting in elementary school on through high school.

Maybe it is fruitless to be so concerned about speaking "proper English" and using correct grammar. But, I believe in teaching children good manners, having respect for others and, yes, the importance of good grammar."

Have a nice night.

#39   2012/10/06 06:00PM
    reng

Quote HOT PINK:
    Quote Air Force Sergeant: Your sarcastic comment about using AT at the end of a sentence

FYI - I wasn't being sarcastic and, quite honestly, I find your post to me quite offensive. I was making a joke about my putting the word AT at the end of my sentence. Guess we have a different sense of humor, which is all good. But, if you read what I had originally said: "I also care. I grew up in a different time where we were taught proper grammar starting in elementary school on through high school.

Maybe it is fruitless to be so concerned about speaking "proper English" and using correct grammar. But, I believe in teaching children good manners, having respect for others and, yes, the importance of good grammar."

Have a nice night.

Hot Pink, I think most of us understood your intent. I don't understand why anyone would have found it offensive.

#40   2012/10/06 06:00PM
    ilovela

Quote HOT PINK:

Have a nice night.

Using proper grammar is a sign of good breeding. Good manners is also a sign of good breeding. Some people think it's cute to talk like a fool. What can you do?

« 1 2 3 4 page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list