List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Grammatical errors...

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Grammatical errors...

Started by curtish at 2012/10/03 05:13PM
    Latest post: 2012/10/06 06:00PM, Views: 2517, Replies: 39
    « 1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #21   2012/10/04 07:22PM
    Re: Grammatical errors...
    feronie

If the writers, etc. don't clean up the errors, what does that say about the quality of the show? They don't care if there are errors.

In reference to social messages or themes, do you see any
    messages that are good for society? I see adultery, constant lying, business fraud, an over-emphasis on sex, personal lack of control, anger/physical assaults, deceit, gossip, manipulation, etc.

So...to summarize...trashy characters using trashy grammar.

#22   2012/10/04 07:27PM
    curtish

Obviously, the writers have little formal education. If they took creative writing or any type of writing in university,
    they would not make these obvious blunders.

#23   2012/10/04 07:29PM
    twinkle556

I catch mistakes too, pretty frequently.
    I think that they're obligated to use proper English. It only reinforces people to use bad English because they hear it on TV and they think it is correct.
    I wish I could remember the thing that was said two separate times.

#24   2012/10/04 07:37PM
    oldbat

One of my pet peeves is saying me and so and so. I even heard our president say me and Michelle one time. Makes my skin crawl.

#25   2012/10/04 07:44PM
    HOT PINK

I was a member of Toastmaster's at one of my old jobs several years ago. Occasionally I'd get to "beep" people when they made grammatical errors in their speeches. One day I beeped a lady when she said, "George is a person that likes to write for the newspaper." Later, she asked me why I beeped her, and I told her "George is a person WHO likes to write for the newspaper. He's not a THAT." I actually cringe when I hear someone being referred to as "a person THAT likes or does something" when it should be "a person WHO..." As you might guess, I cringe a lot when I'm watching YR and a lot of other shows and movies!

#26   2012/10/05 12:40AM
    PurrrrrrrKitty

I do not pay any attention to any of that stuff.. I watch for entertainment..... not to critique..and I was the top executive secretary for many years and my grammar, spelling
    had to ALWAYS BE CORRECT.. probably why I don't care anymore.

I pay attention to the substance of their conversation, their clothes and homes.

#27   2012/10/06 01:15PM
    Donnamite

One quick note on all the disagreements with today's script writing; Language is evolving. If enough people use "irregardless" it becomes a word. "Friend" has evolved into a verb meaning "add as a friend on a social media website." I get it. But it doesn't mean it's a good thing. Like someone said earlier, I "cringe" with the large amount of spelling errors on THIS message board. (present company excluded). I noticed that all you have taking your time and proofread what you typed. And to those of you that are just reading and not replying --- You will notice a “RED squiggly line” under any and all misspelled words. --- So fix them - PLEASE

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/10/06 01:16PM
    #28   2012/10/06 01:42PM
    18K Gold

Quote rediculous:
    Quote Barbyboo: A soap is not an educational channel. It's sex. Drugs and murder...or else we would be taking education classes in a local community college...who cares about grammar watching this or any other soap...

LOL, curtish does!!

And I care as well. It is a dying art. I appreciate good grammar and good manner. I'm in total agreement with curtish and reng.

#29   2012/10/06 01:57PM
    HOT PINK

I also care. I grew up in a different time where we were taught proper grammar starting in elementary school on through high school. Another grammatical error that is constantly abused is ending a sentence with the word AT. Every time I did that in high school, my teachers would always respond, "It's behind the at." It didn't take me long to stop doing it.

Maybe it is fruitless to be so concerned about speaking "proper English" and using correct grammar. But, I believe in teaching children good manners, having respect for others and, yes, the importance of good grammar.

#30   2012/10/06 02:12PM
    PurrrrrrrKitty

Quote HOT PINK: I also care. I grew up in a different time where we were taught proper grammar starting in elementary school on through high school. Another grammatical error that is constantly abused is ending a sentence with the word AT. Every time I did that in high school, my teachers would always respond, "It's behind the at." It didn't take me long to stop doing it.

Maybe it is fruitless to be so concerned about speaking "proper English" and using correct grammar. But, I believe in teaching children good manners, having respect for others and, yes, the importance of good grammar.

« 1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list