List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Grammatical errors...

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Grammatical errors...

Started by curtish at 2012/10/03 05:13PM
    Latest post: 2012/10/06 06:00PM, Views: 2355, Replies: 39
    « 1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #11   2012/10/04 05:52AM
    Re: Grammatical errors...
    FaveFan

I understand your point. However, I feel that it's a slippery slope with these grammatical errors into making us a country of sloppy speakers. It just goes against the grain of good English....

#12   2012/10/04 05:53AM
    Its not real

I think you have to decide if this is supposed to be an educational exercise or a show that is meant to reflect more of a realistic version of life. If you were in a real coffee house, and overhearing conversations, I'm sure you would hear a lot of grammatical mistakes.
    I think if all the scripts were meticulously corrected, the dialogue would end up sounding stilted and fake.

#13   2012/10/04 05:55AM
    FaveFan

Speaking a modicum of good English is not 'stilted' or fake. We are talking BASIC grammatical errors here.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/10/04 05:55AM
    #14   2012/10/04 05:55AM
    countryMomof4

I blame social media for turning us into sloppy speakers and spellers.

The writers need to make use of Grammar Check on their computers.

#15   2012/10/04 07:05AM
    Blue 501

Quote curtish: Today, Daniel and Heather and Chloe and Kevin are talking.

Daniel says something to the effect of: "you can help Heather and I."

It should be Heather and ME.

That is a common mistake. My dept head used to make that one all the time & I winced every single time.

#16   2012/10/04 07:30AM
    granny45

Quote curtish: When I hear the actors using incorrect grammar, I wonder if they know they are making mistakes, or do they just say it the way the writers wrote it, regardless if they know there are errors or not.

I know some actors are college graduates, so wouldn't they know about the very obvious mistakes made by the writers?

I guess my question is this: why doesn't someone----editor, director, writer, actor notice the error/and fix the problem?

Maybe they want it to seem more like real life. I know a lot of people in real life that don't use the correct grammar at times.

#17   2012/10/04 07:35AM
    granny45

Quote countryMomof4: Doesn't bother me in the least. I live in a rural area where most people do not have English as their first language. They make many mistakes when they speak.

I am more concerned with the social messages that the show sends as opposed to the proper language.

SO TRUE!! The fact that it seems to be totally acceptable to jump in bed with anyone at anytime upsets me a lot more than using "I" when it would be "me"! That should be what changes if anything. Y&R used to be more about the business aspects and the romance - the elegance of the colinade room - date nights - not just slu##y sex scenes.

#18   2012/10/04 07:55AM
    bukopandan

I think what's said on the show mirrors how people generally speak in real life and in the moment. I don't find Y&R's mistakes bothersome. There are a number of basic grammatical mistakes made on the MB, especially the use of the word "don't" when a singular (for a "he" or "she") "doesn't" would be correct. When I first joined the MB the frequent use of "don't" surprised me, but I got used to it. And I don't worry about using perfect grammar and mechanics on the MB. Speaking of what feels natural in dialogue on the show, lately I've noticed that Phyl's not been using contractions as often as in the past, and during a fast-moving tirade it can feel a bit odd.

#19   2012/10/04 07:58AM
    granny45

Quote bukopandan: I think what's said on the show mirrors how people generally speak in real life and in the moment. I don't find Y&R's mistakes bothersome. There are a number of basic grammatical mistakes made on the MB, especially the use of the word "don't" when a singular (for a "he" or "she") "doesn't" would be correct. When I first joined the MB the frequent use of "don't" surprised me, but I got used to it. And I don't worry about using perfect grammar and mechanics on the MB. Speaking of what feels natural in dialogue on the show, lately I've noticed that Phyl's not been using contractions as often as in the past, and during a fast-moving tirade it can feel a bit odd.

I doesn't either!! JK - LOL!! It's just a soap people...

#20   2012/10/04 08:53AM
    Air Force Se...

It may be "just a soap," but it is a good example of the "dumbing down of America."

I have noticed that the writers don't know the difference between lie and lay. "I am going to LAY down" is incorrect.
    It should be "lie down."

I do care about poor grammar and cliches and street talk!

When people talk poorly, they write poorly.

The US is hiring foreigners who are engineers, computer experts, and doctors. Does that tell us anything about the
    US educational system?

« 1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list