List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Grammatical errors...

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Grammatical errors...

Started by curtish at 2012/10/03 05:13PM
    Latest post: 2012/10/06 06:00PM, Views: 2535, Replies: 39
    1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #1   2012/10/03 05:13PM
    Grammatical errors...
    curtish

When I hear the actors using incorrect grammar, I wonder if they know they are making mistakes, or do they just say it the way the writers wrote it, regardless if they know there are errors or not.

I know some actors are college graduates, so wouldn't they know about the very obvious mistakes made by the writers?

I guess my question is this: why doesn't someone----editor, director, writer, actor notice the error/and fix the problem?

#2   2012/10/03 05:34PM
    Re: Grammatical errors...
    reng

Can you give an example? You don't have to name the character.
    Today, I noticed when Chloe, Kevin, Daniel and Heather were talking about their secret, one of them said something like, "We have to keep that between us."
    Obviously, since there were four of them, it should have been "among us." But I figure most viewers don't sweat that small stuff.

#3   2012/10/03 05:40PM
    S-jae

Quote curtish: When I hear the actors using incorrect grammar, I wonder if they know they are making mistakes, or do they just say it the way the writers wrote it, regardless if they know there are errors or not.

I know some actors are college graduates, so wouldn't they know about the very obvious mistakes made by the writers?

I guess my question is this: why doesn't someone----editor, director, writer, actor notice the error/and fix the problem?

Completely agree with you, the writers are using poor grammar and too much brit slang!
    Hope the new writers are an improvement!

#4   2012/10/03 05:47PM
    swisscheese1

I'd gladly live with the occasional grammatical error if they'd stop with the tired cliches...things like 'stay tuned for the deets'. aaaargh!

#5   2012/10/03 11:53PM
    curtish

Today, Daniel and Heather and Chloe and Kevin are talking.

Daniel says something to the effect of: "you can help Heather and I."

It should be Heather and ME.

#6   2012/10/04 02:43AM
    Barbyboo

A soap is not an educational channel. It's sex. Drugs and murder...or else we would be taking education classes in a local community college...who cares about grammar watching this or any other soap...

#7   2012/10/04 03:22AM
    rediculous

Quote Barbyboo: A soap is not an educational channel. It's sex. Drugs and murder...or else we would be taking education classes in a local community college...who cares about grammar watching this or any other soap...

LOL, curtish does!!

#8   2012/10/04 05:39AM
    reng

I do, and we all should!

Yikes, curtish, that was a bad one.

#9   2012/10/04 05:44AM
    FaveFan

Quote curtish: Today, Daniel and Heather and Chloe and Kevin are talking.

Daniel says something to the effect of: "you can help Heather and I."

It should be Heather and ME.

EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE seems to be using "I" instead of the mandatory "me" as a direct object. It drives me nuts. I noticed it especially on the Bach/Ette shows. Do they not teach this most basic grammar rule in school anymore? It is very irritating to this 'old school' woman.

#10   2012/10/04 05:48AM
    countryMomof4

Doesn't bother me in the least. I live in a rural area where most people do not have English as their first language. They make many mistakes when they speak.

I am more concerned with the social messages that the show sends as opposed to the proper language.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/10/04 05:53AM
    1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list