List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Reality verses Fantasy, why do YOU watch Y&R??

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Reality verses Fantasy, why do YOU watch Y&R??

Started by Donnamite at 2012/09/30 11:12AM
    Latest post: 2012/10/07 06:01AM, Views: 635, Replies: 12
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2012/09/30 11:12AM
    Reality verses Fantasy, why do YOU watch Y&R??
    Donnamite

People that can’t distinguish between reality or fantasy don’t need to watch Soap Operas.So what is reality? Many people think of reality as an independent entity, but this may not be true. Even if an external reality does exist, we can never truly know the answer. Visual objects in the outside world do trigger certain visual processes, but everything we perceive and know as our reality is the end result of this process. This means that reality is always filtered by the creative powers of our mind, thoughts, and fantasy. We can’t escape the influence of fantasy because this is precisely what we use to determine and translate our perceptions of reality. Those forum readers that take great offense to someone getting all excited about . . . an affair, house fire, mental illness or whatever the storyline is, should realize that this IS fantasy. I believe these people use “forums” as their own personal “SOAP BOX” to get a much needed personal opinion across.

Modified 3 times(s), last time at: 2012/09/30 11:16AM
    #2   2012/09/30 02:58PM
    Re: Reality verses Fantasy, why do YOU watch Y&R??
    Air Force Se...

I started watching because I go to my mother in law's house to take her lunch every day.

She loves it and takes it very seriously, but I think it is funny. The mistakes they make, the silly things they do, and the dumb writing has been a way for me to be entertained while I take care of her.

I don't watch any other "soaps," so I have nothing to compare it to. But.....the sets are outdated and dark, the writing is incompetent, and the plots are often silly.

#3   2012/09/30 07:50PM
    Bede

I started watching with the grandmother and mother in the late 50s I saw the first episode of Y&R and still watch. I enjoy the shows - know they are fantasy - but enjoy the break in the day and time to think about something besides my own problems. The show is outlandish at times but so what - so are many of the P.M. programs and movies they show. To me the soaps are better than reality (which is also outlandish), talk shows, and nonstop news shows.

#4   2012/10/05 06:24AM
    twinkle556

I have been watching forever, when Paul, Nikki, Nina and Cricket and Lauren were young.
    I actually watched when David Hasselhof was on! The characters come into our homes for years and years. I remember when Victor first started and he kept his wife Julia's lover locked in a cell in the basement.
    How many times have they used that old thing? Not Victor, the cell.
    You have to love Victor and Nikki.
    But it is fun to watch and comfortable. We feel like we know the characters and I think that is why we get upset when the writer's make them do things that we know they would not do.

#5   2012/10/05 06:58AM
    Blue 501

I started watching when I was confined to bed with a high risk pregnancy 33 years ago. For most of my young adult life, I did not even have a t.v. in my house and read serious & complex literature(Dostoevsky, Gogol, Faulkner).
    Now I have a list of t.v. favorites: Jeopardy, Survivor, Into the West but don't think I watch as much t.v. as other people. Y&R has become very boring to me but I get the "spice" by debating with people on this msg board (thanks, peeps).
    I can understand feeling that the soap characters are real, after being part of their "lives" for decades. What I cannot understand is becoming such a fan of the actors that it is necessary to get into their personal lives & strive to be close to them in some way. If I were an actress, I would find that somewhat worrisome.

#6   2012/10/05 07:50AM
    kenerly1

Quote Bede: I started watching with the grandmother and mother in the late 50s I saw the first episode of Y&R and still watch. I enjoy the shows - know they are fantasy - but enjoy the break in the day and time to think about something besides my own problems. The show is outlandish at times but so what - so are many of the P.M. programs and movies they show. To me the soaps are better than reality (which is also outlandish), talk shows, and nonstop news shows.

GREAT POST and could not agree more..I too have watched from the beginning and love the soaps more than any prime time show.

#7   2012/10/06 03:59PM
    Palski

I like when soaps "push the envelope." It's fun. There have been therapies in the past where patients learned problem-solving...using the fictional storylines on soaps. We can all enjoy them in various ways.

#8   2012/10/06 03:59PM
    Palski

I like when soaps "push the envelope." It's fun. There have been therapies in the past where patients learned problem-solving...using the fictional storylines on soaps. We can all enjoy them in various ways.

#9   2012/10/06 04:07PM
    habbyfan

I know what you mean Blue ... it is almost voyeurism to follow these people.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/10/06 04:08PM
    #10   2012/10/06 04:14PM
    LucyT

I started watching the show with my grandpa in the 70's.My great uncle watched this show everyday until he died at the age of 92 he was a farmer and came home to watch it over lunch I believe he watched it from its beganing so it is kind of a way to remeber them but I totally watch it because it is fantasy after all who would really have any of these people as friends in your real life.

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list