List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Soap Star Salaries..

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Soap Star Salaries..

Started by PurrrrrrrKitty at 2012/08/13 03:00AM
    Latest post: 2012/08/13 08:01PM, Views: 33267, Replies: 14
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2012/08/13 03:00AM
    Soap Star Salaries..
    PurrrrrrrKitty

I have posted this before a long time ago.. but here it is again.... for those who do not believe the Vets can make a couple of million a year..

I have nooooooo idea if the Vets on Y&R make as much as the figures mentioned below.. but they make a lot.. Just read it..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

So for starters, let's look at the minimum a soap star can expect to make on daytime television. For someone new to the business and what you could call an "unknown," the minimum would be around $700/per episode or even much less, depending on many different factors. This might initially sound like fairly good day’s pay; however, a newcomer on soaps will be lucky if they work one or two days a week. Typically, all soap stars are only guaranteed 1-3 days of work per week, even for some of the veterans on the show. So although some weeks may be good, others may not. Of course, the longer they are on the show, the more money the actors may make per episode, and the more likely they will be guaranteed more days of steady work. So once a newcomer has been on a show for awhile, they can generally expect to make anywhere from $700 to $1500 per episode.

For soap stars who have been around the block a little longer, typically 5-10 years, their salaries can now be upwards of $1500 to $3000 per episode, which again may only be anywhere from 1-3 days per week of actual work guaranteed. Again, there are a lot of other factors involved here, including how popular they are with the fans, what major storylines they may be involved with, and if they are doing any other promotional work for the studio.

Lastly, for the soap star veterans, those who have been in the business for more than 10 years, the range of salaries can now be found around $2000 to $5000+ per episode. Only a small percentage of soap stars are actually in the $5000 or more range, but it's not unheard of for some of daytime's most popular actors or actresses. Plus, with the growing salaries of many primetime actors, there is no doubt that some daytime soap stars are most likely offered substantial incentives to stay put in daytime. There are also a few exceptions in daytime with those who have been with a show for many years, including daytime actor, Tony Geary (Luke, GH) and actresses Erika Slezak (Viki, OLTL) and Susan Lucci (Erika Kane, AMC) whom are probably more in the range of 7-10 million or more per year, which also includes special privileges including limited work hours and extended vacations.

#2   2012/08/13 05:12AM
    Re: Soap Star Salaries..
    deceived

OT: What do the writers make??? I read somewhere around a million a year...that's too much!!

#3   2012/08/13 05:59AM
    Sylviastel

I read Kim Zimmer and Susan Lucci's bios. The only person to ever really make a million would be Susan Lucci on daytime ever. Even Kim Zimmer stated that she was probably the only one to get that high of a salary. I'm sure the writers take above average but nowhere in the millions. The soap stars especially the veterans become expensive over years and decades even with fans crying for them.

#4   2012/08/13 08:41AM
    Paggie

Not sure when that article was written but I suspect it was a long time ago and the daytime landscape has changed dramatically over the past ten years.

For example the author says...." Plus, with the growing salaries of many primetime actors, there is no doubt that some daytime soap stars are most likely offered substantial incentives to stay put in daytime."....um - I don't think so!

It's hardly a secret these days that soap actors are having their salaries and guarantees slashed more and more at every contract round - and even in between contracts.

#5   2012/08/13 08:57AM
    grammapam

I honestly think it's nobodys' business what they make.Be honest..if you made a 'decent' salary,would you want people discussing it?
    I don't think there's anyone on this board who wouldnt mind that big pay-check.
    Times can be tough for any Actor.

#6   2012/08/13 02:05PM
    PurrrrrrrKitty

The ONLY reason I posted the salaries is because I was questioned about their salaries when I posted about Vets being put on recurring status.

I recoganize this is an old article, but I do believe long term vets do make a million or two a year..

Think about it.. movie stars make 10-20 million a picture..

Sooooo, why wouldn't a long time Vet make a million or two a year?? Makes sense to me. These people live in CA which is much more expensive to live in also..A million dollar salary a year is not all that much in CA.. My son
    lives in CA and makes that much and he is far from rich..

I have NEVER heard EB (Victor) or JC (Kay) talk about their salaries.. why would they???.. but I have heard Nikki say, she is tired of taking pay cuts..

The acting world is a very hard world to succeed in.. but more the reason to salt away that top salary and get ready for retirement..

I will say it again, I think if budget cuts are a must.. then I think the long time Vets should be put on recurring status.. and used as is necessary for story lines.. they are NOOOO longer needed as front and center characters.. but use them until the 2nd generation has been "fully" developed.. which will take at least a year or two. The 2nd generation cannot realistically become a genius corporate leader.. The Vets should not be put to pasture EVER.. but can become consultants.. advisors.. etc.

That has been the biggest problem.. the 2nd generation has been treated like little kids.. with not much depth to their characters... they are NOT ready to take over.. but it is time to get them ready..

I know I am giving up MY spot as female leader of the pack glady.. My 2nd generation is slowly taking over but they ask for my advice.. for all sorts of things.. from business to entertaining.. I nooooo longer want the responsibility of being responsiblle for "everything".. They are old enough and should be taking over.

Just saying......

#7   2012/08/13 03:36PM
    PurrrrrrrKitty

Bump

#8   2012/08/13 03:43PM
    janesBydiction

Interesting. I was listening to Nelson Branco's radio thing two nights ago and he said Ronn Moss made millions at BB due to that show being the most internationally syndicated in the world. I don't know if I believe that, but BB stars do get a cut of the syndication profits.

I know YR is syndicated in Canada, France and maybe Australia. I have no idea if those stars get syndication cheques.

I know EB is the highest paid on YR but that seems pretty obvious.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/08/13 03:44PM
    #9   2012/08/13 05:46PM
    Sylviastel

Well, soap stars are all getting cut. It's not the same industry anymore where there was competition. In GL's final years, Ellen Wheeler did multiple duties such as ep, head writer, director, etc. She cut the show to the bone in order to keep it on the air. MAB didn't have that ambition. She just spent money and hired a large cast with hopes that fans will follow them to the show. MAB couldn't believe that she was being fired. Well she lost a million fans in a year. If she had maintained a consistent, long term plan in storyline arches like her father-in-law did, she didn't listen to Jeanne Cooper's advice or read her book. There are pages giving sound advice without being patronizing but MAB killed off characters like Brad, Colleen, Ricky, and John Abbott among them. I don't know when she took over but she's gone. I assume JFP will cut some loose or end some story lines.

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list