List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Statute Of Limitations for Attempted Murder

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Statute Of Limitations for Attempted Murder

Started by dafyduc at 2012/05/18 08:45AM
    Latest post: 2012/05/18 09:45PM, Views: 2780, Replies: 28
    « 1 2 3 » »| page:
    #11   2012/05/18 09:48AM
    Re: Statute Of Limitations for Attempted Murder
    bukopandan

Quote LilMonkey84:
    Quote bukopandan: phyl fans may want to let the phreak off the hook, but there is much more to this. whether there is or isn't a statute of limitations of so-and-so-many years depends on the type of criminal act. attempted premeditated murder is simply not the same as other acts, including an unanticipated hit-and-run. states that are not backwards in thinking but are progressive continue to protect victims. phyl planned out her killing and chose the car as her weapon. she chose a weapon, disguise, knew where to find the intended victim, etc. that kind of crime carries a life sentence on many states and it could soon become so in wi. whatever the case, just as we see in real life, on situations where the law does not do right by a victim a trial not by jury but by the community would find the phreak guilty and she'd be shunned. it's hilarious to look back at the old scene that shows her in jail and haunted by all (but chris is not there b/c the actor did not come back to yr then) the people she hurt. that scene is about her own mind knowing what she did to people - paul shows up in that scene and calls her out on what she did. she did it. there is no whitewashing what she did. she tried to kill someone. what normal person does that!!

Yep, and in the real world I would agree. I would venture to bet however that Phyllis is not going to be sitting in a jail cell for the rest of her life. Unfortunately that is the only way some views will be happy. MS is too valuable to this show, along with many other actors whose characters have committed crimes and didn't pay their debt to society with a prison sentence that would match what they would have gotten in the real world. This incident will be addressed and I'm glad. Let's deal with it and move on from here.

and that is what i've said many times. there are a couple diehard phyl fans who keep saying back to posts like mine that we are lying and would not accept a storyline with consequences other than prison. most non-phyl fans want to see justice in some way (and i've talked before about phyl herself finally facing things, not by way of a prison term but really facing what she did - that could be powerful) and to also to see the writing be at the level it should be. anyone who's taken a single creative writing course knows that it is ludicrous that the hit-and-run would never be dealt with. if one of my writers turned in a story with an attempted murder and it was simply dropped from the piece, that person would receive a failing grade. there are various ways by which this story could be handled, and hopefully yr's staff is up to the challenge (any real writer would be chomping at the bit to work on this story).

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/05/18 09:50AM
    #12   2012/05/18 09:50AM
    Villy89

Phyllis won't see a day behind bars because she's never wrong and her friend Michael is the DA and he will give her a free pass. There will be no consequences for Phyllis, there never is.

#13   2012/05/18 10:31AM
    bukopandan

Quote Villy89: Phyllis won't see a day behind bars because she's never wrong and her friend Michael is the DA and he will give her a free pass. There will be no consequences for Phyllis, there never is.

yep. but the story should come out and not be kept hush-hush by michael. the press should be all over it as she's taken into the gcpd for questioning. she should do one of those walks with a jacket covering her head and the pic be plastered on all the regional news/gossip publications. michael had better not give her special treatment. as a da he will be a representative of the people. i like the idea of heather being on staff so she can make sure there isn't special treatment.

#14   2012/05/18 10:41AM
    Pauls

Quote dafyduc: In Wisconsin the statute of Limitation is 6 years. Therefore all this talk of Michael or whoever is the DA going after Phyliss is a moot point. Unless they rewrite the laws it can't happen. Although a good defense attorney could argue hit and run anyway.

Wow! If that's true, that's sad. I would hate to have a hit and run driver walk because 10 years go by before they find concrete evidence to charge someone. That's is really, really sad. It just encourages people to break the law because nothing is going to happen to them if they cover their tracks well.

#15   2012/05/18 10:43AM
    Pauls

Quote Villy89: Phyllis won't see a day behind bars because she's never wrong and her friend Michael is the DA and he will give her a free pass. There will be no consequences for Phyllis, there never is.

I know...Phyllis can do anything she wants and she gets out of everything. She could kill Lucy and get away with it. She'd say it was self-defense and Michael would believe her.

#16   2012/05/18 10:46AM
    Tripin47

Quote bukopandan: phyl fans may want to let the phreak off the hook, but there is much more to this. whether there is or isn't a statute of limitations of so-and-so-many years depends on the type of criminal act. attempted premeditated murder is simply not the same as other acts, including an unanticipated hit-and-run. states that are not backwards in thinking but are progressive continue to protect victims. phyl planned out her killing and chose the car as her weapon. she chose a weapon, disguise, knew where to find the intended victim, etc. that kind of crime carries a life sentence on many states and it could soon become so in wi. whatever the case, just as we see in real life, on situations where the law does not do right by a victim a trial not by jury but by the community would find the phreak guilty and she'd be shunned. it's hilarious to look back at the old scene that shows her in jail and haunted by all (but chris is not there b/c the actor did not come back to yr then) the people she hurt. that scene is about her own mind knowing what she did to people - paul shows up in that scene and calls her out on what she did. she did it. there is no whitewashing what she did. she tried to kill someone. what normal person does that!!

Besides that, even if it's only coming out in all it's ugliness and mentally instability..... Nick needs to know the dark side of the mother of this children... Phyl's has killer capabilities and Nick KNOWS nothing about this side of her.

Phyl has it in her to take alife and NOT self defense type of situation...BUT plotting planning and EVILLY acting out the plan..... Phyl's thought process INCLUDES how do I kill someone.... THEN she follows UP with her actions...

Phly is capable of planning, and plotting someone's murder, Nick needs to know that, and there's no amount whitewash that can turn a killer, into good wife and mother.

#17   2012/05/18 10:51AM
    okley

Quote bukopandan:
    Quote LilMonkey84:

Yep, and in the real world I would agree. I would venture to bet however that Phyllis is not going to be sitting in a jail cell for the rest of her life. Unfortunately that is the only way some views will be happy. MS is too valuable to this show, along with many other actors whose characters have committed crimes and didn't pay their debt to society with a prison sentence that would match what they would have gotten in the real world. This incident will be addressed and I'm glad. Let's deal with it and move on from here.

and that is what i've said many times. there are a couple diehard phyl fans who keep saying back to posts like mine that we are lying and would not accept a storyline with consequences other than prison. most non-phyl fans want to see justice in some way (and i've talked before about phyl herself finally facing things, not by way of a prison term but really facing what she did - that could be powerful) and to also to see the writing be at the level it should be. anyone who's taken a single creative writing course knows that it is ludicrous that the hit-and-run would never be dealt with. if one of my writers turned in a story with an attempted murder and it was simply dropped from the piece, that person would receive a failing grade. there are various ways by which this story could be handled, and hopefully yr's staff is up to the challenge (any real writer would be chomping at the bit to work on this story).

It is not ludicrous at all if they had no evidence, which they didn't at the time and in the REAL world crimes go unsolved all the time too. I agree with L'il Monkey that if it makes the harping stop, by all means deal with it.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/05/18 10:52AM
    #18   2012/05/18 12:04PM
    LilMonkey84

Quote bukopandan:
    Quote LilMonkey84:

Well it looks like MAB is going to address it and finally tie up those loose ends. It's not her fault that other writing teams have dropped the ball and left this issue hanging for so long. Whether or not people will be happy with the outcome or the way the story is handled remains to be seen.

Some Phaters (not all) will only be satisfied if she ends up in prison for the remaineder of the show, but based on the fact that Phyllis a pretty important character (among many, not saying she is the most important) I just don't see this storyline going in that direction.

I hope she will take responsibility for her actions in someway, that will really show growth in her character, and her personal story can move on from there. I know some people don't want to acknowledge that Phyllis has changed from when she first came on the show but from what I have seen in old clips on YouTube she was completely nuts, LOL. At this point I can't see her stripping off her clothes and getting in bed with a man who is asleep while said man is on vacation with his wife and pretending to be the wife, or renting a car and running someone down. She may be a little manic at times, and vindictive, but she has grown and matured from the early days of her character.

You need to deal with the past before you can move forward and I think that's what is happening here. Either way I'm curious to see how it will play out.

#19   2012/05/18 01:05PM
    bukopandan

Quote Pauls:
    Quote dafyduc: In Wisconsin the statute of Limitation is 6 years. Therefore all this talk of Michael or whoever is the DA going after Phyliss is a moot point. Unless they rewrite the laws it can't happen. Although a good defense attorney could argue hit and run anyway.

Wow! If that's true, that's sad. I would hate to have a hit and run driver walk because 10 years go by before they find concrete evidence to charge someone. That's is really, really sad. It just encourages people to break the law because nothing is going to happen to them if they cover their tracks well.

the good news is that the statute has been changed. was signed into law last month (it was very popular with people in a state whose governor is facing a recall--while his anti-union work has caused his ratings to fall, a law such as this one helps him). now attempted murder can be charged at anytime. the only thing is, for crimes committed before six years ago the new law does not apply. from here on out though it will. the six years used to apply to the statute of limitations. now it applies to how retroactive the new law goes. so, for example, if an attempted murder were committed five years ago, evidence could surface ten or twenty years from now, so fifteen or twenty-five years will have passed, and that person can go to prison.

#20   2012/05/18 01:11PM
    bukopandan

Quote LilMonkey84:
    Quote bukopandan:
    Quote LilMonkey84:

Well it looks like MAB is going to address it and finally tie up those loose ends. It's not her fault that other writing teams have dropped the ball and left this issue hanging for so long. Whether or not people will be happy with the outcome or the way the story is handled remains to be seen.

Some Phaters (not all) will only be satisfied if she ends up in prison for the remaineder of the show, but based on the fact that Phyllis a pretty important character (among many, not saying she is the most important) I just don't see this storyline going in that direction.

I hope she will take responsibility for her actions in someway, that will really show growth in her character, and her personal story can move on from there. I know some people don't want to acknowledge that Phyllis has changed from when she first came on the show but from what I have seen in old clips on YouTube she was completely nuts, LOL. At this point I can't see her stripping off her clothes and getting in bed with a man who is asleep while said man is on vacation with his wife and pretending to be the wife, or renting a car and running someone down. She may be a little manic at times, and vindictive, but she has grown and matured from the early days of her character.

You need to deal with the past before you can move forward and I think that's what is happening here. Either way I'm curious to see how it will play out.

i think you make good points. and, yeah, it's so weird that the old writers didn't long ago deal with the hit-and-run. it could have been dealt with years before now. it will end up (if handled right) some great tv now and the flipside of the writers' dropping the story before is that there is now a great opportunity for mab. as much as i rant about phyl, i truly would live with her story coming out and she taking responsibility, receiving whatever forgiveness and venting the victims and the others in her life gave her, and then things moving on.

« 1 2 3 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list