List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Statute Of Limitations for Attempted Murder

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Statute Of Limitations for Attempted Murder

Started by dafyduc at 2012/05/18 08:45AM
    Latest post: 2012/05/18 09:45PM, Views: 2920, Replies: 28
    1 2 3 » »| page:
    #1   2012/05/18 08:45AM
    Statute Of Limitations for Attempted Murder
    dafyduc

In Wisconsin the statute of Limitation is 6 years. Therefore all this talk of Michael or whoever is the DA going after Phyliss is a moot point. Unless they rewrite the laws it can't happen. Although a good defense attorney could argue hit and run anyway.

#2   2012/05/18 08:48AM
    Re: Statute Of Limitations for Attempted Murder
    LilMonkey84

Quote dafyduc: In Wisconsin the statute of Limitation is 6 years. Therefore all this talk of Michael or whoever is the DA going after Phyliss is a moot point. Unless they rewrite the laws it can't happen. Although a good defense attorney could argue hit and run anyway.

If there is only a six year statute of limitations on attempted murder you would think it would be shorter for a hit and run.

#3   2012/05/18 08:50AM
    valleycliffe

LOL that's great in the REAL WORLD.

However, this is in the alternate universe of GC in the REEL WORLD OF wiscosin.

REAL laws do not matter here, only the REEL ones.

this is the world where you can go to jail for a crime committed in another state and be convicted on evidence that would normally be thrown out of court.

So, in the REEL world of GC, yes, phyl CAN be charged with the 20 yr old crime of attempted murder...

#4   2012/05/18 08:53AM
    dafyduc

Quote LilMonkey84:
    Quote dafyduc: In Wisconsin the statute of Limitation is 6 years. Therefore all this talk of Michael or whoever is the DA going after Phyliss is a moot point. Unless they rewrite the laws it can't happen. Although a good defense attorney could argue hit and run anyway.

If there is only a six year statute of limitations on attempted murder you would think it would be shorter for a hit and run.

No, I just meant even if they tried her for attempted murder a good Defense attorney could argue it was just a hit and run. I don't want to see her prosecuted at all

#5   2012/05/18 09:07AM
    bukopandan

phyl fans may want to let the phreak off the hook, but there is much more to this. whether there is or isn't a statute of limitations of so-and-so-many years depends on the type of criminal act. attempted premeditated murder is simply not the same as other acts, including an unanticipated hit-and-run. states that are not backwards in thinking but are progressive continue to protect victims. phyl planned out her killing and chose the car as her weapon. she chose a weapon, disguise, knew where to find the intended victim, etc. that kind of crime carries a life sentence on many states and it could soon become so in wi. whatever the case, just as we see in real life, on situations where the law does not do right by a victim a trial not by jury but by the community would find the phreak guilty and she'd be shunned. it's hilarious to look back at the old scene that shows her in jail and haunted by all (but chris is not there b/c the actor did not come back to yr then) the people she hurt. that scene is about her own mind knowing what she did to people - paul shows up in that scene and calls her out on what she did. she did it. there is no whitewashing what she did. she tried to kill someone. what normal person does that!!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/05/18 09:15AM
    #6   2012/05/18 09:10AM
    dafyduc

Quote bukopandan: phyl fans may want to let the phreak off the hook, but there is much more to this. whether there is or isn't a statute of limitations of so-and-so-many years depends on the type of criminal act. attempted premeditated murder is simply not the same as other acts, including an unanticipated hit-and-run. phyl planned out her killing and chose the car as her weapon. she chose a weapon, disguise, knew where to find the intended victim, etc. that kind of crime carries a life sentence.

according to Wisconsin Law it does matter. 6 years is all you have

#7   2012/05/18 09:28AM
    LilMonkey84

Quote dafyduc:
    Quote LilMonkey84:

No, I just meant even if they tried her for attempted murder a good Defense attorney could argue it was just a hit and run. I don't want to see her prosecuted at all

True. We will have to see how this plays out, I don't really care either way. I can't see them having Phyllis sit in prison for an extended period of time because of this. I just hope it comes out, people get pissed, she apologizes (or at least handles their attitude) and everyone moves on. I'm just sick of hearing people on here harp about it day in and day out, so let her deal with it and let's all move on!

#8   2012/05/18 09:31AM
    bukopandan

Quote dafyduc:
    Quote bukopandan: phyl fans may want to let the phreak off the hook, but there is much more to this. whether there is or isn't a statute of limitations of so-and-so-many years depends on the type of criminal act. attempted premeditated murder is simply not the same as other acts, including an unanticipated hit-and-run. phyl planned out her killing and chose the car as her weapon. she chose a weapon, disguise, knew where to find the intended victim, etc. that kind of crime carries a life sentence.

according to Wisconsin Law it does matter. 6 years is all you have

the law was just changed to allow for attempted murderers and rapists to be convicted at any time. the new law does state that it will apply to crimes from here on out and if the crime happened no less than six years ago (but does not mean that the statute of limitations is six years - two different things). but for any attempted crimes starting in april and going back six years, there will be no statute. if phyl had done what she did about six years back, she could now be sent to prison for life. the show very well may decide to ignore this piece of info given that "time" is always played with on the show, but i doubt they will. but the court of public opinion, and especially considering that there was so much public pressure to change the law and keep up with more progressive states (thank god, here in ca if my daughter were murdered i'd have always had the opportunity to see her killer behind bars), will not be lenient on phyl. she should be so ashamed of herself - her actions went far beyond the pale and were about doing the ultimate in evil, yet somehow she is to be completely excused. there's no doubt in my mind that she could now do something as extreme as kill little lucy and there'd be a defending of her actions!

#9   2012/05/18 09:36AM
    LilMonkey84

Quote bukopandan: phyl fans may want to let the phreak off the hook, but there is much more to this. whether there is or isn't a statute of limitations of so-and-so-many years depends on the type of criminal act. attempted premeditated murder is simply not the same as other acts, including an unanticipated hit-and-run. states that are not backwards in thinking but are progressive continue to protect victims. phyl planned out her killing and chose the car as her weapon. she chose a weapon, disguise, knew where to find the intended victim, etc. that kind of crime carries a life sentence on many states and it could soon become so in wi. whatever the case, just as we see in real life, on situations where the law does not do right by a victim a trial not by jury but by the community would find the phreak guilty and she'd be shunned. it's hilarious to look back at the old scene that shows her in jail and haunted by all (but chris is not there b/c the actor did not come back to yr then) the people she hurt. that scene is about her own mind knowing what she did to people - paul shows up in that scene and calls her out on what she did. she did it. there is no whitewashing what she did. she tried to kill someone. what normal person does that!!

Yep, and in the real world I would agree. I would venture to bet however that Phyllis is not going to be sitting in a jail cell for the rest of her life. Unfortunately that is the only way some views will be happy. MS is too valuable to this show, along with many other actors whose characters have committed crimes and didn't pay their debt to society with a prison sentence that would match what they would have gotten in the real world. This incident will be addressed and I'm glad. Let's deal with it and move on from here.

#10   2012/05/18 09:41AM
    bukopandan

Quote LilMonkey84:
    Quote dafyduc:
    Quote LilMonkey84:

True. We will have to see how this plays out, I don't really care either way. I can't see them having Phyllis sit in prison for an extended period of time because of this. I just hope it comes out, people get pissed, she apologizes (or at least handles their attitude) and everyone moves on. I'm just sick of hearing people on here harp about it day in and day out, so let her deal with it and let's all move on!

people harp because it was attempted murder. and even after chris was lying in the street and could have been dead, phyl did not have a wake-up call and try to save chris but drive off. people are excusing what she did because they like phyl and will excuse anything she does. other viewers want character accountability and want good writing - in any good piece of writing, an attempted murder would not simply be swept under the rug but dealt with in some satisfying way. this is fiction, but people on the board are often able to discuss how art imitates life and what they would do if this were a real-life situation. except when it comes to the attempt to kill chris. and it's hilarious how there's been all this defense of a days-then-weeks-old fetus but not of an actual born person whose life another tried snuffing out. if sharon had tried killing someone - even evil phyl - i'd want her to have to deal with that. i care about the quality of the writing on the show. and i don't think a viewer needs to be a writer in order to expect topnotch writing from yr's staff.

1 2 3 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list