List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Why is Delia STILL in the HOSPITAL if she's well?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Why is Delia STILL in the HOSPITAL if she's well?

Started by CGabriel510 at 2011/11/15 10:33AM
    Latest post: 2011/11/19 04:04PM, Views: 887, Replies: 11
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2011/11/15 10:33AM
    Why is Delia STILL in the HOSPITAL if she's well?
    CGabriel510

Why is Delia still in the hospital if she's WELL? what's the poin t? Does anyone know? AND, DON'T GET ME STARTED on WHY she's still wearing PAJAMAS (being a SICKLE CELL patient) and how many times I had to take off my PJ'S and wear the hospital gowns.....

I guess writers have NEVER experienced the "thrill" of being hospitalized, just saying.......

#2   2011/11/15 10:34AM
    Re: Why is Delia STILL in the HOSPITAL if she's well?
    Benay

Quote CGabriel510: Why is Delia still in the hospital if she's WELL? what's the poin t? Does anyone know? AND, DON'T GET ME STARTED on WHY she's still wearing PAJAMAS (being a SICKLE CELL patient) and how many times I had to take off my PJ'S and wear the hospital gowns.....

I guess writers have NEVER experienced the "thrill" of being hospitalized, just saying.......

So Billy can go to see her.

#3   2011/11/15 10:47AM
    Blue 501

Quote CGabriel510: Why is Delia still in the hospital if she's WELL? what's the poin t? Does anyone know? AND, DON'T GET ME STARTED on WHY she's still wearing PAJAMAS (being a SICKLE CELL patient) and how many times I had to take off my PJ'S and wear the hospital gowns.....

CG, one possibility is that they have to run more tests or that they want her immune system to build up some. I did not have chemo like Deliah but I had radiation. The first cold I got that fall turned into a very bad respiratory infection that required 2 trips to Urgent Care, one trip to my regular doctor, a consult with my radiation oncologist, three antibiotics (one of them the super strength), bottles of cough syrup, asthma inhalers (2 of them) and a steroid for 7 days to finally get a grip on it. I believe it took over a year for my white cell count to return to normal and my red cells as well so I could fight off infection better.

#4   2011/11/15 04:06PM
    HillMom

As a leukemia patient who HAD a bone marrow transplant...let me count the reasons.
    1. It takes weeks and weeks for your immune system to be strong enough to be discharged.
    2. The chemo given before a bone marrow transplant basically brings you to the brink of death and it takes awhile to recover from that.
    3. It is hard to eat and stay hydrated during this time so you require pretty constant monitoring.
    4. You still need to have blood drawn daily for months afterwards to monitor for any sign of relapse and infection.
    5. The bone marrow transplant itself is actually the easiest part of the process. The recovery from that is awful. It is slow, it takes a year for your immune system to be strong enough to get your childhood immunizations again (because when they do the chemo to kill the bone marrow, they kill all your protection. BUT you can't get shots for a year because your system is not strong enough. YUP, a newborn has a stronger immune system than a bone marrow transplant patient.)
    I was in the hospital for a grand total of 10 weeks after diagnosis to post bone marrow transplant.

And to the poster that made a comment about pajamas - I wore my own PJ's daily and had friends send me PJ's so I now have more PJ's than anyone should ever have but I love them and am so grateful for the gift of pj's.

#5   2011/11/15 04:23PM
    Blue 501

Quote HillMom: As a leukemia patient who HAD a bone marrow transplant...let me count the reasons.
    1. It takes weeks and weeks for your immune system to be strong enough to be discharged.
    2. The chemo given before a bone marrow transplant basically brings you to the brink of death and it takes awhile to recover from that.
    3. It is hard to eat and stay hydrated during this time so you require pretty constant monitoring.
    4. You still need to have blood drawn daily for months afterwards to monitor for any sign of relapse and infection.
    5. The bone marrow transplant itself is actually the easiest part of the process. The recovery from that is awful. It is slow, it takes a year for your immune system to be strong enough to get your childhood immunizations again (because when they do the chemo to kill the bone marrow, they kill all your protection. BUT you can't get shots for a year because your system is not strong enough. YUP, a newborn has a stronger immune system than a bone marrow transplant patient.)
    I was in the hospital for a grand total of 10 weeks after diagnosis to post bone marrow transplant.

And to the poster that made a comment about pajamas - I wore my own PJ's daily and had friends send me PJ's so I now have more PJ's than anyone should ever have but I love them and am so grateful for the gift of pj's.

Thank you for providing that information from your own experience. It sounds like I was on the right track but I had no idea how critical and drawn out the actual process of bone marrow transplant really is. I did have an inkling about organ transplant but it sounds as though bone marrow is just as bad, or nearly so. I am sorry you had to go thru that but I hope you are doing well now.

#6   2011/11/15 04:54PM
    FreeTheBalloons

Thank you for that, hopefully that should set everyone right. At least now there won't be a drawn out debate about Delia's PJs, like the one about Faith's binkie...LOL

#7   2011/11/16 01:44PM
    CherylD

Delia (and the actress) is a child - what do want her to dress in - a hospital gown? Hospital gowns can expose body parts - and they are trying to maintain that this is a child this happened to -- not an adult... so the PJ's, the stuff animals maintain that... plus as a child, I am sure hospitals make exceptions and give you things that make you comfortable... if you are paying attention to the PJs - then the story line isn't strong enough... and the nurse explained to Chloe that even after they are sure the transplant takes that there is a period of time where they still monitor the child... the didn't overlook it - it was addresses.

#8   2011/11/16 01:57PM
    indyfan51

Actually, there shouldn't have been anyone in that room without gown, gloves and masks for the longest times during and after the chemo and transplant, but it is a soap, after all. My concern is that this child is too old to be sucking her finger to lull herself to sleep. Her teeth are going to protrude.

#9   2011/11/16 04:48PM
    FreeTheBalloons

Quote indyfan51: Actually, there shouldn't have been anyone in that room without gown, gloves and masks for the longest times during and after the chemo and transplant, but it is a soap, after all. My concern is that this child is too old to be sucking her finger to lull herself to sleep. Her teeth are going to protrude.

I agree that everyone should have been scrubbed, gowned and masked to enter her room, but then it would have taken away from the drama of Billy skulking around in disguises.

As for the finger in mouth thing? Surely everyone has noticed that the little actress playing Delia is a natural talent. She delivers her lines clearly, and on cue. She goes to 'sleep' when told to, and the fingers in the mouth is the director's way of making her look even more babylike and vulnerable.She's not 'really asleep' sucking her fingers.

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list