List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Jeanne Coopers illness and the future of her Mrs.C

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Jeanne Coopers illness and the future of her Mrs.C

Started by Jim and Terrie at 2011/10/24 05:30AM
    Latest post: 2011/10/24 09:04AM, Views: 14879, Replies: 11
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2011/10/24 05:30AM
    Jeanne Coopers illness and the future of her Mrs.C
    Jim and Terrie

Jeanne Cooper and her charachter Katherine are central to the entire story line of Young and the Restless. Only the role of Victor and his portrayal by Eric Braeden are as iconic. I wish her a speedy recovery and a returns asap.

But her absence does give a fan time to pause and realize that at 83 years old Ms. Cooper will retire one day sooner than we would all like. This gives producers and writers a chance to touch base with FANS and see what they would like.

For me there IS NO RECAST that works. Once Jeanne Cooper retires, Y and R needs to have Katherine be killed or die on the show. This would give viewers a bit of continuity as new charachters become inevitably dominant. Perhaps Jill would become the new Matriarch and wise sage manipulating her families lives.

Jeanne could still be a part of the show as the occasional ghost of Katherine Chancellor appearing to almost all of the characters on a regular basis. This would help acclimate viewers to the fact that, as in life, time is moving on.

I actually enjoy the occasional visit's from Jack, Ashley, and Billy's long dead Father. His performance and the way the writers have him appear make me wish I had seen him as a real charachter, but I digress.

Whadda You all think should be the long term plan for the Katherine charachter?

#2   2011/10/24 05:44AM
    Re: Jeanne Coopers illness and the future of her Mrs.C
    Jackie10

I have to say I love Jeanne Cooper and Eric Braeden and will hate the day either has to leave. But we know it is going to happen. And first and foremost I want them to do what is best for them and their health and family.

If they want to make a few appearances as a ghost I would love it. I for one feel none could totally fill their shoes in the characters they play.

These characters need to make peace with ALL of their family and get their lives in order.

It would be pointless to recast in my opinion when the characters are at the age where a recast will put the children catching up to the Adults in age. The characters stories have to end nothing lasts forever. The story will age and change. It would be bad to try and keep a 70 year old dad with 65 year old kids.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2011/10/24 05:51AM
    #3   2011/10/24 05:48AM
    SweetAlexandria

All I know she should not be recast esp. after 38yrs, but I think it is for something cosmetic, not sure.

#4   2011/10/24 06:43AM
    Trish12

Quote Jim and Terrie: Jeanne Cooper and her charachter Katherine are central to the entire story line of Young and the Restless. Only the role of Victor and his portrayal by Eric Braeden are as iconic. I wish her a speedy recovery and a returns asap.

But her absence does give a fan time to pause and realize that at 83 years old Ms. Cooper will retire one day sooner than we would all like. This gives producers and writers a chance to touch base with FANS and see what they would like.

For me there IS NO RECAST that works. Once Jeanne Cooper retires, Y and R needs to have Katherine be killed or die on the show. This would give viewers a bit of continuity as new charachters become inevitably dominant. Perhaps Jill would become the new Matriarch and wise sage manipulating her families lives.

Jeanne could still be a part of the show as the occasional ghost of Katherine Chancellor appearing to almost all of the characters on a regular basis. This would help acclimate viewers to the fact that, as in life, time is moving on.

I actually enjoy the occasional visit's from Jack, Ashley, and Billy's long dead Father. His performance and the way the writers have him appear make me wish I had seen him as a real charachter, but I digress.

Whadda You all think should be the long term plan for the Katherine charachter?

Love JC and EB, I will miss them when they leave, but they are her now, so i'm enjoying watching them.

#5   2011/10/24 06:47AM
    soapgran

I had rather have someone step in for a bit until she could be transitioned out. Her s/l at this point is not finished so I say finish it first. She will be a huge loss, there's no doubt about that and has been one of the most admired actors in the history of Y&R by fans and colleagues alike. I do wish all the best for her and hope she can return soon.

#6   2011/10/24 08:13AM
    SuziDecorator

Quote Jackie10: I have to say I love Jeanne Cooper and Eric Braeden and will hate the day either has to leave. But we know it is going to happen. And first and foremost I want them to do what is best for them and their health and family.

If they want to make a few appearances as a ghost I would love it. I for one feel none could totally fill their shoes in the characters they play.

These characters need to make peace with ALL of their family and get their lives in order.

It would be pointless to recast in my opinion when the characters are at the age where a recast will put the children catching up to the Adults in age. The characters stories have to end nothing lasts forever. The story will age and change. It would be bad to try and keep a 70 year old dad with 65 year old kids.

I agree with you - their health has to come first. Naturally we love these long-time characters and don't want them to go, but I for one would rather have them make the occasional ghostly appearance than to drop dead on the set because they're trying to placate their fans.

ML is a great actress, but I agree with everyone that Katherine Chancellor has been given life and personality by Jeanne Cooper. If she's not able to continue, have Kay die.

#7   2011/10/24 08:15AM
    PhylFan

I think there are two ways to look at Mr.s C being recast...and neither is "right" or "wrong".

I totally understand where those who think the character should go with the actress are coming from. It feels "strange" at the very least to think there could be a Katherine without Jeanne...maybe it is a slap to the actress.

On the other hand, maybe Jeanne would want the character that she's breathed life into for 20-30 years to continue even though she can't. It could be a tribute to the legacy JC created with the character. Kind of like someone who starts a business and wants to continue to succeed long after they are no longer able to contribute.

I'm not sure which train of thought I subscribe to, I am interested to know how the actress feels.

Just my two cents.

#8   2011/10/24 08:18AM
    soapgran

Quote PhylFan: I think there are two ways to look at Mr.s C being recast...and neither is "right" or "wrong".

I totally understand where those who think the character should go with the actress are coming from. It feels "strange" at the very least to think there could be a Katherine without Jeanne...maybe it is a slap to the actress.

On the other hand, maybe Jeanne would want the character that she's breathed life into for 20-30 years to continue even though she can't. It could be a tribute to the legacy JC created with the character. Kind of like someone who starts a business and wants to continue to succeed long after they are no longer able to contribute.

I'm not sure which train of thought I subscribe to, I am interested to know how the actress feels.

Just my two cents.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better, Thank you..

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list