List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: OT - Sr's Finally get a Soc.Sec. RAISE

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

OT - Sr's Finally get a Soc.Sec. RAISE

Started by FL senior fan at 2011/10/18 03:18PM
    Latest post: 2011/10/18 04:29PM, Views: 1009, Replies: 12
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2011/10/18 03:18PM
    OT - Sr's Finally get a Soc.Sec. RAISE
    FL senior fan

Off topic, but just saw on-line today. Report from Wash. that seniors will get their first social security increase in benefits since 2009. Persons receiving social security will receive notice in Oct-Nov. about the 3.5% increase!
    WHOOPIE...about time!! Of course, I do hear rumored that our cost for Medicare (taken from social) will also go up to $116 monthly.

#2   2011/10/18 03:31PM
    Re: OT - Sr's Finally get a Soc.Sec. RAISE
    soapgran

Yep, Uncle Sam giveth and Uncle Sam taketh away...I'd love to see those Washington big wigs get by for just ONE WEEK on the little bit a lot of Seniors get for a month.

#3   2011/10/18 03:32PM
    SuziDecorator

This is welcome news. I've seen some really awful posts saying SS people are all a bunch of freeloaders and don't deserve an increase, etc. My sister gets about $800 a month after Medicare is taken out. I'd love to see people try to live on that while paying rent, food, medical care (no, Medicare doesn't cover "everything") and other expenses. We have paid into the system - many of us starting work as teenagers - and deserve every single penny we get back.

#4   2011/10/18 03:37PM
    soapgran

Quote SuziDecorator: This is welcome news. I've seen some really awful posts saying SS people are all a bunch of freeloaders and don't deserve an increase, etc. My sister gets about $800 a month after Medicare is taken out. I'd love to see people try to live on that while paying rent, food, medical care (no, Medicare doesn't cover "everything") and other expenses. We have paid into the system - many of us starting work as teenagers - and deserve every single penny we get back.

ITA...I worked for nearly forty years and paid taxes the whole time (in addition to raising a family) so I feel as if I paid my dues...

#5   2011/10/18 03:37PM
    FL senior fan

Right on! I really appreciate the support of this from
    other posters (I live on my EARNED social security plus
    interest from CD's)...it's difficult.
    What really "hurt" was, while we did not get any increase for years, all the state and gov't employees/officals got one.

#6   2011/10/18 03:45PM
    SanDiegoSteve_1

I am glad they are raising it some. I am on SS Disability, and for 2 years they have said that there was no change in the cost of living index, so no raise. How do they figure that, when prices keep going up and up, not to mention the $4.00 a gallon gas prices? I just received a letter telling me that I'm getting the same as last year, so I guess they didn't raise the disability, just the regular SS. Thank God for my wife's income and my student loans! I am hoping to get off disability as soon as my heart valve is replaced, and the cancer I recently found out about gets zapped, which is happening shortly!

#7   2011/10/18 03:54PM
    soapgran

Quote SanDiegoSteve_1: I am glad they are raising it some. I am on SS Disability, and for 2 years they have said that there was no change in the cost of living index, so no raise. How do they figure that, when prices keep going up and up, not to mention the $4.00 a gallon gas prices? I just received a letter telling me that I'm getting the same as last year, so I guess they didn't raise the disability, just the regular SS. Thank God for my wife's income and my student loans! I am hoping to get off disability as soon as my heart valve is replaced, and the cancer I recently found out about gets zapped, which is happening shortly!

I could never get how they figured the cost of living hasn't increased, when nearly everything I buy at the grocery store goes up almost weekly. I guess the fools never go shopping like us po' folks do, huh. I see u finally got thru' to post. Hope all goes well for u health wise. I thank God my medical bills are so very small at this point.

#8   2011/10/18 03:55PM
    FL senior fan

Quote SanDiegoSteve_1: I am glad they are raising it some. I am on SS Disability, and for 2 years they have said that there was no change in the cost of living index, so no raise. How do they figure that, when prices keep going up and up, not to mention the $4.00 a gallon gas prices? I just received a letter telling me that I'm getting the same as last year, so I guess they didn't raise the disability, just the regular SS. Thank God for my wife's income and my student loans! I am hoping to get off disability as soon as my heart valve is replaced, and the cancer I recently found out about gets zapped, which is happening shortly!

-----------------
    I'm sorry to hear this. God bless you and I hope you receive the best care possible in your cancer treatment. My neice just finished Chemo for liver cancer...and is now cancer free but will have to be on a maintenance plan; also takes Vit.D and green tea. Be sure you ask a Nutritionist for help also. Glad to have you in the Y&R family and on the board.

#9   2011/10/18 03:57PM
    GoCowboys

Seniors Rock! Especially my seniors at the Madella Hilliard Center in Georgetown, Texas!!!

#10   2011/10/18 04:12PM
    HOT PINK

I'm on SS Disability as well and a cost of living increase would be very welcome, indeed! I'm so sorry about your health issues. Please know you are in my prayers. Does anyone know when the increase will take effect? I'm guessing, since we're getting notified in Oct/Nov, it will probably be around the New Year.

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list