List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Why are Soaps Being Canceled?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Why are Soaps Being Canceled?

Started by tifa at 2011/09/14 03:44PM
    Latest post: 2011/09/16 11:18PM, Views: 3823, Replies: 31
    1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #1   2011/09/14 03:44PM
    Why are Soaps Being Canceled?
    tifa

I found and interesting argument in one of the threads, discussing the state of Y&R and the continuous drop in ratings. For those who didn't know, Y&R dropped 1 MILLION viewers this year. That's a BIG LOW for Y&R. Even though Y&R remains at the top of all soaps, the heavy decrease in viewership is being talked about and if Y&R is the next to be canned in the wake of AMC and OLTL.

My argument, is, the cause of the ratings drop is because the writers (MAB) is not writing compelling stories to grab the attention of viewers. If the show is compelling, and attracts and interest, such as the Two Todd's story for OLTL, people will tune in to watch. OLTL, has always been dismal in the ratings. But, now, since they have gotten a new writer, things have seemed to pick up for them, despite impending cancellation. IMO, the reason for the increase, is due to the higher quality of writing.

The opposing argument, is, that the ratings decrease is due to bad weather, busier lives of mothers having to take children to school, then off to work. Running errands, or watching things online. I don't agree with that, and see it as nothing but an excuse for bad storytelling. It seems like people do not want to admit that this show, is not doing well in ratings becuase the show is distributing bad quality of work. How can 1 MILLION viewers lost, as opposed to last year, have more errands to run and skip the show. It doesn't seem possible to take that big of a nose dive in ratings, due to errands. IMO, if a show is good, people will watch. If it is bad people wont watch. ANd seeing the constant complaints, negative threads and constant disappointment of the storytelling, shows, that this is ALL about the writing. And not just having a busier lifestyle.

What do you think?

#2   2011/09/14 04:01PM
    Re: Why are Soaps Being Canceled?
    tifa

And I forgot to add, Soapcentral, keeps track of Y&R's ratings. Someone always posts it there, because they are tracking the demise of this soap, and how long it's going to take for someone to take notice.

Yes Y&R is still number one. But, that doesn't mean that one million viewers in loss is ok becuase their number one. It's lie Mcdonalds, losing a million customers, but see that they are the number one fast Food restaurant in the country so it doesn't matter. A loss is a loss.

#3   2011/09/14 11:47PM
    LaBrae

Quote tifa: I found and interesting argument in one of the threads, discussing the state of Y&R and the continuous drop in ratings. For those who didn't know, Y&R dropped 1 MILLION viewers this year. That's a BIG LOW for Y&R. Even though Y&R remains at the top of all soaps, the heavy decrease in viewership is being talked about and if Y&R is the next to be canned in the wake of AMC and OLTL.

My argument, is, the cause of the ratings drop is because the writers (MAB) is not writing compelling stories to grab the attention of viewers. If the show is compelling, and attracts and interest, such as the Two Todd's story for OLTL, people will tune in to watch. OLTL, has always been dismal in the ratings. But, now, since they have gotten a new writer, things have seemed to pick up for them, despite impending cancellation. IMO, the reason for the increase, is due to the higher quality of writing.

The opposing argument, is, that the ratings decrease is due to bad weather, busier lives of mothers having to take children to school, then off to work. Running errands, or watching things online. I don't agree with that, and see it as nothing but an excuse for bad storytelling. It seems like people do not want to admit that this show, is not doing well in ratings becuase the show is distributing bad quality of work. How can 1 MILLION viewers lost, as opposed to last year, have more errands to run and skip the show. It doesn't seem possible to take that big of a nose dive in ratings, due to errands. IMO, if a show is good, people will watch. If it is bad people wont watch. ANd seeing the constant complaints, negative threads and constant disappointment of the storytelling, shows, that this is ALL about the writing. And not just having a busier lifestyle.

What do you think?

I had heard that the ratings for Y&R had dropped in the 18-49 group, but didn't know exacly by how much. Thats really speaking volumes to have lost a Million or so viewers. I know there are only certain story lines I find interesting. I'll even admit just within the month of August I let episodes pile up on my DVR without even watching them, because so many just aren't appealing. My reasoning is clearly the writing just hasn't been up to par lately. I'm extremely bored with majority of the current SLs. I really enjoyed Y&R when it was more character driven...it just felt more relatable. Another problem is how unbalanced the show has become with its characters. There are some that are on almost every day, in multiple SLs. Then there are others we don't see for weeks, or even months. Y&R has always had their favorites, but I don't recall it ever being this lopsided. So I definitely think the show needs to clean out the house of their current writing team and start fresh. There was a time this was a great show, but it does seem to be falling by the wayside lately. Its not helping that they've decided to get rid of about 4 of their current actors that were basically wasted, because they never really wrote for them.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2011/09/14 11:52PM
    #4   2011/09/15 01:51AM
    IngaOlaf

Too many channels in this day and age for perhaps fewer viewers, as housewives have gone to work over the past decades...kids come home from school and plug into their own little worlds aside from TV...and we seem to get more and more channels for whatever reason.

We are in for many more infomercials, I am afraid. Nothing more than a "show" that can sponsor itself is going to make it...not sure if infomercials get into a rating system...from the looks of them, I doubt it.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2011/09/15 01:53AM
    #5   2011/09/15 01:54AM
    lvsdasnow

Quote IngaOlaf: Too many channels for perhaps fewer viewers, as housewives have gone to work over the past decades...kids come home from school and plug into their own little worlds aside from TV...

We are in for many more infomercials, I am afraid. Nothing more than a "show" that can sponsor itself is going to make it for ratings...not sure if infomercials get into a rating system...from the looks of them, I doubt it.

I totally agree with you.

#6   2011/09/15 05:04AM
    sj-granny

I think one reason could be the actor them self. some want so much money and think they have to be front and center. And be real not many wants to see a bunch of 50+ in love scenes.

#7   2011/09/15 05:09AM
    soapgran

All of the above and more. IMO soaps are like a lot of past genres there's just not enough interest anymore. Each new generation brings about changes.

#8   2011/09/15 05:18AM
    chancegirl

Quote sj-granny: I think one reason could be the actor them self. some want so much money and think they have to be front and center. And be real not many wants to see a bunch of 50+ in love scenes.

YR has ALWAYS had older characters and in the past they showcased their vets in compelling s/l's and it paid off.

What I can't grasp is people saying they don't have time. Yet they have time for primetime television. In the past YR has drawn tens of millions of viewers and could compete w/ primetime. If I'm not mistaken (I was kid when this happened) but I seem to recall YR even airing in a primetime slot once or twice before the emmy's and I think it was an epi where Jack left a lifeless Victor lying on the floor dying from a heart attack, but I could be wrong about this.

Anyway w/ all the ways to view the soaps today online, soapnet a hundred times a day and weekends, and DVR it's safe to say that people choose to watch Primetime tv and make time for that as I stated in another post b/c those shows grab 20 million viewers who make time to watch them. Some of us spend lots of time online etc. and IMO it's all about how you choose to spend that time. If the show was great, compelling and interesting we would find the time to work it in to our day as opposed to making time for reality tv like Bachelor Pad, DWTS, AI or even scripted dramas like NCIS, SVU, CSI who are constantly at the top of the ratings week after week, even reruns for these shows during the summer mos draw more viewers than YR. So someone makes time to watch them and that IMO is time they could spend watching soaps if they were giving us interesting material to work with.

I don't care anymore if YR is number one. Does that matter when it's the most expensive soap to produce and create and the salaries are the highest? If it costs more to create the show than it generates it's a no brainer that something is gonna change. It may not be entirely bad writing but like I have said over and over the writing today is NOT what it was a few years ago. And the decline in ratings and outpouring of soap critics in magazines, blogs, radio are speaking up about it.

#9   2011/09/15 05:30AM
    sj-granny

Quote chancegirl:
    Quote sj-granny: I think one reason could be the actor them self. some want so much money and think they have to be front and center. And be real not many wants to see a bunch of 50+ in love scenes.

YR has ALWAYS had older characters and in the past they showcased their vets in compelling s/l's and it paid off.

What I can't grasp is people saying they don't have time. Yet they have time for primetime television. In the past YR has drawn tens of millions of viewers and could compete w/ primetime. If I'm not mistaken (I was kid when this happened) but I seem to recall YR even airing in a primetime slot once or twice before the emmy's and I think it was an epi where Jack left a lifeless Victor lying on the floor dying from a heart attack, but I could be wrong about this.

Anyway w/ all the ways to view the soaps today online, soapnet a hundred times a day and weekends, and DVR it's safe to say that people choose to watch Primetime tv and make time for that as I stated in another post b/c those shows grab 20 million viewers who make time to watch them. Some of us spend lots of time online etc. and IMO it's all about how you choose to spend that time. If the show was great, compelling and interesting we would find the time to work it in to our day as opposed to making time for reality tv like Bachelor Pad, DWTS, AI or even scripted dramas like NCIS, SVU, CSI who are constantly at the top of the ratings week after week, even reruns for these shows during the summer mos draw more viewers than YR. So someone makes time to watch them and that IMO is time they could spend watching soaps if they were giving us interesting material to work with.

I don't care anymore if YR is number one. Does that matter when it's the most expensive soap to produce and create and the salaries are the highest? If it costs more to create the show than it generates it's a no brainer that something is gonna change. It may not be entirely bad writing but like I have said over and over the writing today is NOT what it was a few years ago. And the decline in ratings and outpouring of soap critics in magazines, blogs, radio are speaking up about it.

I say that you are on to something with this s/l not being what us used to be and with the cost of produce and the salaries and now we have HDTV so now a 40 year old look 40. then you have the ego of all the stars that you have to work with.

1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list