List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please

Started by Blue 501 at 2011/03/14 12:19PM
    Latest post: 2014/12/07 05:20PM, Views: 332026, Replies: 11436
    « 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 » »| page:
    #9161   2013/01/13 11:32AM
    Re: Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please
    Blue 501

Quote BobbiSox:
    Quote Blue 501:
    Quote BobbiSox:
    Quote deceived:
    Quote BobbiSox:
    Quote deceived: LOL...my grandma gave me my big black iron skillet for making gravy for bisquits and for hitting my husband between the eyes when he doesn't behave...one hit and he obeys my every command...LOL
    We learned that in West Virginia...

I actually had to get rid of my skillet years ago. I could never figure out how to clean it. I wanted to scour it with an SOS pad, and my neighbor said to just wipe it out. (Just wipe it out? I don't think so.) So I got rid of it. My neighbor was born and raised in Germany, and taught me some German every day. She told me the story of the skillet: she said her mother gave her the 'spider' and told her to tell her husband "if you ever hurt me, you should not sleep". I guess something got lost in the translation, but I got the drift.

Hey Bobbie... don't throw your Iron Skillets out... the more you use them the more Iron you get in your system...Iron gives you energy... They make great hamburgers also... Yummy... or you can cook a steak in them with some butter and garlic salt and pepper 5 minutes on each side on broil, and they taste like a grilled steak...
    I love iron skillets...

Too late, I got rid of it years ago. I just keep my imaginary head-whacker in case any of the posters need to remind their husbands to behave. Seriously though, I do believe that if you could lift it, it would be a lethal weapon. (Hope I'm not giving anyone any ideas!)

It would be hard to get rid of the evidence. I remember an Alfred Hitchcock in which a woman killed her husband with a frozen roast of meat, then cooked it up on the stove. When the police came, she claimed she came home from shopping & found him dead on the floor with the house looted. But her next husband proved to be equally unsatisfactory so she tried it again & the power went off & the police found the bloody leg of lamb sitting in the pot on the stove.
    Lesson to be learned: Never kill two spouses in the same exact way. One husband might reach under the pillow, find his pistol & accidentally shoot himself in the head. Not two of them. One wife might trip & fall down the stairs & sustain multiple gashes on the head accompanied by blood spray all over the walls, but not two. Use your imagination, you murderers, for Heaven's sake. In the second case, the defense actually introduced the theory that an owl attacked the wife out by the pool & followed her into the house making repeated attacks on her head. Nah. More like being bashed in the head over & over with a fire poke or a frozen can of coke. (as in "Bi-tch, you froze my last can of soda-take that, & that, & that"!

Mornin' Blue. Me thinks you've been watching those Lifetime Movies. I love them; I'll watch the same one five times!
    oops. need coffee. COFFEE HERE!!!

Actually, I was talking about two real cases that happened in NC. In Durham to be precise. NC has a lot of interesting murders. Men here must not like to pay lawyers for a divorce. They just kill their wives.
    There was an interesting case in my home village in the 1930's. I have considered writing a book about it but it's just too much work for me. It involves witches, warlocks, and an ax murder. I think the man who fried for it was probably a paranoid schizophrenic as well as a former gunner from WWI. I have a copy of his "recipe" for conjuring up the Devil (not interested). It was written up in some crime mags of the era & I ordered one article but there was not much detail in it. The people who knew the most about it are all dead now. One man in his 70's is a friend of mine & his father was out fishing that night with one of the accused & was able to alibi him. The woman was acquitted but Ray says she admitted on her death bed that she hit most of the licks & the other guy just finished the job. And it was her aunt that they killed. The witch/murderess was quite a character anyway. Made her living as a prostitute, even into old age when her white hair was dyed black, eyebrows drawn on with a burnt match, & 2 round spots of rouge on her cheeks. I asked my mother if it was true & she said "Course it was! She didn't have any other way of getting any money!" When she was sick, Mama sometimes took some food & firewood to her but I was scared of her. Some of the other women did the same. Some of them were kin but she had a disabled sister she was caring for too. She was poor but sitting on some prime real estate, worth millions now. The lawyer who represented her at her murder trial got it all. Right on the water-beautiful land. She could wade right out & get oysters & clams while she was still able.
    Actually, I do have a collection of stories about her but she is kin to a lot of people still living & they might not like it if I tell too much. And who wants to write a book if you have to edit it too much?

#9162   2013/01/13 11:59AM
    habbyfan

Quote Blue 501:
    Quote BobbiSox:
    Quote Blue 501:
    Quote BobbiSox:
    Quote deceived:
    Quote BobbiSox:
    Quote deceived: LOL...my grandma gave me my big black iron skillet for making gravy for bisquits and for hitting my husband between the eyes when he doesn't behave...one hit and he obeys my every command...LOL

I actually had to get rid of my skillet years ago. I could never figure out how to clean it. I wanted to scour it with an SOS pad, and my neighbor said to just wipe it out. (Just wipe it out? I don't think so.) So I got rid of it. My neighbor was born and raised in Germany, and taught me some German every day. She told me the story of the skillet: she said her mother gave her the 'spider' and told her to tell her husband "if you ever hurt me, you should not sleep". I guess something got lost in the translation, but I got the drift.

Hey Bobbie... don't throw your Iron Skillets out... the more you use them the more Iron you get in your system...Iron gives you energy... They make great hamburgers also... Yummy... or you can cook a steak in them with some butter and garlic salt and pepper 5 minutes on each side on broil, and they taste like a grilled steak...
    I love iron skillets...

Too late, I got rid of it years ago. I just keep my imaginary head-whacker in case any of the posters need to remind their husbands to behave. Seriously though, I do believe that if you could lift it, it would be a lethal weapon. (Hope I'm not giving anyone any ideas!)

It would be hard to get rid of the evidence. I remember an Alfred Hitchcock in which a woman killed her husband with a frozen roast of meat, then cooked it up on the stove. When the police came, she claimed she came home from shopping & found him dead on the floor with the house looted. But her next husband proved to be equally unsatisfactory so she tried it again & the power went off & the police found the bloody leg of lamb sitting in the pot on the stove.
    Lesson to be learned: Never kill two spouses in the same exact way. One husband might reach under the pillow, find his pistol & accidentally shoot himself in the head. Not two of them. One wife might trip & fall down the stairs & sustain multiple gashes on the head accompanied by blood spray all over the walls, but not two. Use your imagination, you murderers, for Heaven's sake. In the second case, the defense actually introduced the theory that an owl attacked the wife out by the pool & followed her into the house making repeated attacks on her head. Nah. More like being bashed in the head over & over with a fire poke or a frozen can of coke. (as in "Bi-tch, you froze my last can of soda-take that, & that, & that"!

Mornin' Blue. Me thinks you've been watching those Lifetime Movies. I love them; I'll watch the same one five times!

Actually, I was talking about two real cases that happened in NC. In Durham to be precise. NC has a lot of interesting murders. Men here must not like to pay lawyers for a divorce. They just kill their wives.
    There was an interesting case in my home village in the 1930's. I have considered writing a book about it but it's just too much work for me. It involves witches, warlocks, and an ax murder. I think the man who fried for it was probably a paranoid schizophrenic as well as a former gunner from WWI. I have a copy of his "recipe" for conjuring up the Devil (not interested). It was written up in some crime mags of the era & I ordered one article but there was not much detail in it. The people who knew the most about it are all dead now. One man in his 70's is a friend of mine & his father was out fishing that night with one of the accused & was able to alibi him. The woman was acquitted but Ray says she admitted on her death bed that she hit most of the licks & the other guy just finished the job. And it was her aunt that they killed. The witch/murderess was quite a character anyway. Made her living as a prostitute, even into old age when her white hair was dyed black, eyebrows drawn on with a burnt match, & 2 round spots of rouge on her cheeks. I asked my mother if it was true & she said "Course it was! She didn't have any other way of getting any money!" When she was sick, Mama sometimes took some food & firewood to her but I was scared of her. Some of the other women did the same. Some of them were kin but she had a disabled sister she was caring for too. She was poor but sitting on some prime real estate, worth millions now. The lawyer who represented her at her murder trial got it all. Right on the water-beautiful land. She could wade right out & get oysters & clams while she was still able.
    Actually, I do have a collection of stories about her but she is kin to a lot of people still living & they might not like it if I tell too much. And who wants to write a book if you have to edit it too much?

I think that has been my biggest discovery sine I started with ancestry, you don't always like what you find.

I remember one woman telling the story about her work to trace her ancestors who left England for Australia, the brits opened the doors of the prisons and filled a boat with women who were sent as companions to be ... for the men they sent out previously ... most of the women were pregnant by the time the reached the destination, to men on the ships, or to the men who came aboard with provisions at various posts along the way.The woman telling the story was an Anglican minister and one of the women was her great great grandmother.Those women did whatever they needed to do in order to stay alive.

People who were in jails were not all murderers though, some were just children,street urchins picked up off the streets and thrown in jail for stealing a bun,they were in jail for years.

^^^^^^^^^You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2013/01/13 12:08PM
    #9163   2013/01/13 01:38PM
    Blue 501

Quote habbyfan:
    Quote Blue 501:
    Quote BobbiSox:
    Quote Blue 501:
    Quote BobbiSox:
    Quote deceived:
    Quote BobbiSox:

I love iron skillets...

I think that has been my biggest discovery sine I started with ancestry, you don't always like what you find.

I remember one woman telling the story about her work to trace her ancestors who left England for Australia, the brits opened the doors of the prisons and filled a boat with women who were sent as companions to be ... for the men they sent out previously ... most of the women were pregnant by the time the reached the destination, to men on the ships, or to the men who came aboard with provisions at various posts along the way.The woman telling the story was an Anglican minister and one of the women was her great great grandmother.Those women did whatever they needed to do in order to stay alive.

People who were in jails were not all murderers though, some were just children,street urchins picked up off the streets and thrown in jail for stealing a bun,they were in jail for years.

^^^^^^^^^You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Yes, my brother would like it (he says) if I found some pirates in the family tree but would prolly not be thrilled if I found prostitutes, or (more) crazy folks, or deserters. I guess the closest I have come is the "Martyr of New Orleans" but even though he was hung, he was not really a traitor. In fact, in some eyes, he was a hero. Which is probably why (Gen) Butler had him hung, even though he was a crippled man (a battle wound that never healed properly) who managed to climb the New Orleans Mint & rip down the US flag. There was also a legend that his mother haunted the area as a ghost for many years after but I think maybe that was part of another story that got tacked on.
    A distant cousin of mine who was of an age to miss all our wars but is very hawkish was quite put out when I found that he had two ancestors who deserted. One was hung & the other died of some exotic disease while waiting to be shot or hung for desertion. One of my great-grandfathers may have deserted too but he was wounded & in a hospital in Richmond & when they released him, he married a girl he had met & came home instead of going back to his Regiment. Not sure I blame him. It was nearly all over by then anyway. He was a bit of a character. He was "put out" of the Primitive Baptist Church & his tombstone says something about "those that revile me for thy name's sake" & "They can put me out of the church but they can't put me out of the Kingdom of Heaven". True. The family says he squandered all the money that girl from Richmond inherited & that there was a lot of it. Who knows? One of the cousins who lives in Virginia finally found their marriage license but there were several with the same name & she could not find the parents.

#9164   2013/01/14 05:48AM
    Blue 501

Good morning. Here is some good hot strong Kenyan coffee and a big platter of Almond Spekulatius (spiced almond cookies). Have a good day all. Blue needs to stay off the boards today and play catch up.

#9165   2013/01/14 10:03AM
    Blue 501

Mom decided it was time for me to address her paperwork so my other work got derailed. Short break outside. Some of my daffodils are popping up. The red camellia has a dozen blooms on it as big as my palm, with a fistful of petaloids in each one, so pretty. All of the spring camellias are loaded with buds. Looks like the fruit tree buds are thinking about swelling-silly things. It is January-it won't be "real spring" til March & sometimes the fruit gets frozen after it has already been pollinated & set. Now that the foliage has died down in the garden-I see nearly a dozen little daylily volunteers. Seeds that I set & neglected to gather. It's a long shot for them to find a spot & sprout on their own but they are bound to be pretty. Hybrid daylilies seldom get pollinated on their own & if I pollinated them it would have been with the prettiest flowers blooming that day. I am already getting some great blooms out of that bed.

#9166   2013/01/14 11:54AM
    Lucy3

I just checked the weather in Orlando. It's 77 degrees and partly cloudy. Going to drop all the way down to 71. so, cMom should be having a great day about now. I hope so.

#9167   2013/01/14 04:54PM
    habbyfan

Quote Lucy3: I just checked the weather in Orlando. It's 77 degrees and partly cloudy. Going to drop all the way down to 71. so, cMom should be having a great day about now. I hope so.

That is about 70 degrees better than here at home ... I imagine she will be thrilled with that.

#9168   2013/01/14 05:12PM
    Blue 501

Quote habbyfan:
    Quote Lucy3: I just checked the weather in Orlando. It's 77 degrees and partly cloudy. Going to drop all the way down to 71. so, cMom should be having a great day about now. I hope so.

That is about 70 degrees better than here at home ... I imagine she will be thrilled with that.

Dang, Habby, you are saying it's 7 degrees where you are? It was warm enough here to trot around the garden in flip flops. Paid the price though-I felt a piercing pain & thought I had a thorn trapped under the thong & it was a fire ant taking a wee chunk out of me & another looking for a good spot. I am going to have to find something organic to treat them with before V finds out. We are on well water & I don't want any toxins in it, esp with a little one on the way. The thermostat says 74 in the house, just from the radiant energy tht got beamed in today. Alex is stripped & has a big fan blowing on her belly, trying to cool down. She is hot natured anyway. Being 8 months pregnant really intensifies it.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/01/14 05:17PM
    #9169   2013/01/14 05:29PM
    Lucy3

26 here today with tiny little ice pellets falling. I hate cold weather. If I don't freeze to death in the next couple of weeks I will be heading to Florida in early February. I'm going to take shirts and a tank top in hopes of finding a bush I can hide behind and sunbathe.

#9170   2013/01/14 05:51PM
    Blue 501

Quote Lucy3: 26 here today with tiny little ice pellets falling. I hate cold weather. If I don't freeze to death in the next couple of weeks I will be heading to Florida in early February. I'm going to take shirts and a tank top in hopes of finding a bush I can hide behind and sunbathe.

Well, I feel for you but when you are cold, you can always put on more clothes. I would love to be able to wear big fluffy sweaters, corduroy pants, fleece, Gortex. Wooly socks & boots. Never get to. There is a limit to how much you can take off if it's too hot. I used to work a lot of evenings. Going to work across a big parking lot in temps over 100 is horrrrrible. You feel as though your brains are boiling. I had to wear a sleeveless shirt so I could stand to put on my lab coat if I had to go to a ward.

« 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list